Home
Posted By: pdman S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Hey All...Have a chance to acquire a S&W 686 4".. beautiful gonc. alves grips...1982 born on date...virtually 100% but no box...seller wants 10 ben franklins...yes no..???

Thanks for your help and input..

pete
Posted By: TheKid Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Sounds a little steep to me.
Posted By: MOGC Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Too rich for my blood. I'm a shooter not a collector.
Posted By: postoak Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
You can buy a NIB one off of gunbroker right now for $699.
Posted By: TWR Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Pre-lock guns bring a premium but I think that is way too high.
Posted By: Region6 Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Pass, to high.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Originally Posted by pdman
Hey All...Have a chance to acquire a S&W 686 4".. beautiful gonc. alves grips...1982 born on date...virtually 100% but no box...seller wants 10 ben franklins...yes no..???

pete
Best .357 ever made. For that price, it would have to be absolutely unfired and NIB. This one sounds like "appears unfired" and it doesn't have the box. $700 tops.
Posted By: Slavek Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
I would pass on this one. Pricing S&W revolvers can be far from easy. For example 686 .357 with 7-shot cylinder pre-MIM parts (ca. 1995 to early 1997) would be desirable and worth a premium.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Way too high.

RS
Posted By: Raferman Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Not a dime past seven.
Posted By: Papag Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Too high, but I'd have to get 8 plus for my old 6" 686+ that is my favorite 357. (Ahead of the Python for more than one reason)
Posted By: AH64guy Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

pete
Best .357 ever made. For that price, it would have to be absolutely unfired and NIB. This one sounds like "appears unfired" and it doesn't have the box. $700 tops.

Agreed
Posted By: pdman Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Hey Y'all...thanks...yup...does seem a mite too high to me also...seller won't budge...told him best of luck...sayonara..
Thanks Again Y'all..
Pete
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Originally Posted by TWR
Pre-lock guns bring a premium but I think that is way too high.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

You can find pre-lock guns in very good shape for$2-300 less if you look hard, maybe even a tad less.

MM
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
You've gotten some good advice. $700 TOPS.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Hey Y'all...thanks...yup...does seem a mite too high to me also...seller won't budge...told him best of luck...sayonara..

Now, finish the process. Delete his number out of your phone.
Posted By: GF1 Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
I’d sooner pay a thousand for that one than even $1500 for the best Python that came down the pike. Great revolver; I have two.

It’s maybe a bit high, but that’s a relative thing.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
I bought one from a co worker in 1994 for $250. I sold it to another co worker for $250.

I miss that gun.
Posted By: bcraig Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
I still have a no dash 6 inch nickle plated one ,guess I will keep it till I die even though I haven't shot it in close to 40 years.
Think I was around 20 years old when I bought it.

Good looking accurate revolver.
Still loaded with one of 3 boxes of 125 Grain Hollowpoints I bought when I bought the revolver.

As far as price goes on the one you looked at,if it is what you want buy it.
You probably wont make any money if you sell it but as far as keeping I would rather for the most part have an older one than a newer one if its has not been abused..
Posted By: Papag Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Where in the world did you get a nickel plated 686? They are stainless steel. You might have a 586.
Posted By: SS336 Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
I agree, it's about $200-300 to high. That being said they don't make them like that anymore. The old saying is "you didn't pay to much, you just bought it to soon". grin
Thanks Again Y'all..
Pete

Good Call

I had a 686+ (7-rounder) pre-lock 4-inch barrel that I sold to a friend. Very nice revolver, but not worth that much.

Jerry
Posted By: UPhiker Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Originally Posted by Papag
Where in the world did you get a nickel plated 686? They are stainless steel. You might have a 586.

Forty years old would be first year production. Maybe a 19?
Posted By: gzig5 Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
I sold my 6" 686 on here several years ago for $600 I think. It was near perfect condition. Should have kept that one.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Nice shape in my area runs about 700. They are becoming a little harder to find. Hasbeen
Posted By: 65BR Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Sold a Python 6" SS for a 1/3 of what they sell for now...and a 4" 686 pre-lock.........miss both but the 686 seemed more durable. A 5 or 6" would be a great all around.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Pdman: "I" absolutely love the/my S&W Model 686's!
They are great pistols and I shoot them well.
They are also a very good investment of ones dollars I have learned.
But the picture you were painting had me very happy until the "price" was mentioned.
I would advise to keep looking - main reason - price to high - that is a $750.00 pistol MAYBE $800.00 nowadays.
I was hoping you were gonna ask about "barrel length" and that is an easy one for me anyway - I prefer my 686's with 6" barrels.
Remind me to update my online and hard copy gun inventories and evaluations - these do seem to be "appreciating" in value annually.
Good luck what ever you do - I am very sure you will enjoy the 686 when you get one.
For "investment" purposes stay away from the lawyer lock models.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: saddlesore Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
The two best Smith revovlers I have are a 6", 686 in .357 that has had about 25,000 rounds thru it and still going strong , and a K-22 ,6" barrel,about 10k thru it . However, I would not give that amount for a new one
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
6" for shooting. 4" for carrying. Less than 4", get a K frame. I will admit to liking some 3" 586's and 686's I've seen though. I remember shooting a f u cking rattler at a strip pit one time with a 6" 686. He must've flown 12' in the air and landed in the water!
Posted By: bcraig Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/14/20
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Papag

Forty years old would be first year production. Maybe a 19?

Mine is a 586 no dash,I forgot to put that in my post
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/15/20
Saddlesore: Good for you on the number of rounds downrange and downfield with your 686!
I have to admit back when I was on the "PD" and got free pistol ammo I would easily go through 2,000 rounds a year of centerfire pistol ammo - now that I am "paying" for the centerfire pistol ammo I only clip off maybe 400 rounds of it a year.
That is to my detriment.
Efficient/praisable pistol shooting takes continued practice.
In my old age I guess I am just getting "cheap" - I do run a "lot" of pistol rimfire ammo down range every year but most of that is off of sandbags or bipod rests at Varmints.
Probably shoot well over 1,000 rimfire rounds a year in my various rimfire pistols thusly.
Keep up the good work with those two Smiths!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: GregK Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/16/20
I bought a lightly used 3" 686+ (7-shot) post lock off of GB last year. Paid $625. I'm loving it so far.
Posted By: GF1 Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/17/20
Unless you are planning to turn the gun soon, I would instead be focused on the very best gun I could find. When it speaks to you, just buy it even if by today’s standards it’s high.

I bought a brand new 6” Model 57 (no dash), with all the goodies and mahogany box in 1985 for $350. It had languished in a small town gun shop in Idaho for at least five years; at that time they were less popular than now, and I was counseled that I had over paid, and maybe I did. I liked it then, like it better now.

Don’t pole vault over mouse turds; if you like it, buy it, keep it.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: S&W 686 - YES..NO..?? - 04/18/20
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Saddlesore: Good for you on the number of rounds downrange and downfield with your 686!
I have to admit back when I was on the "PD" and got free pistol ammo I would easily go through 2,000 rounds a year of centerfire pistol ammo - now that I am "paying" for the centerfire pistol ammo I only clip off maybe 400 rounds of it a year.
That is to my detriment.
Efficient/praisable pistol shooting takes continued practice.
In my old age I guess I am just getting "cheap" - I do run a "lot" of pistol rimfire ammo down range every year but most of that is off of sandbags or bipod rests at Varmints.
Probably shoot well over 1,000 rimfire rounds a year in my various rimfire pistols thusly.
Keep up the good work with those two Smiths!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My shooting has suffered because of my age too.I know I have shot my 686 that much because I bought two large quantities of cast bullets of 15,000 each and they are all gone. My K-22 was when I had my NRA Instructor's Cert and I was teaching classes for CCW. Now days, I try to run 300-400 rounds thru the 686 and my Sig 320 once or twice a month.

A friend passed away a few years back and the estate gave me three canisters or .357 and 9 mm bullets each was about 5" in diameter and 12 " tall. One was full of 135 gr semi jacketed .357, one was 9mm FMJ, and one was 9mm soft points. I have about 500 of the.357 left, all of the FMJ are gone and I have about 300 of the 9MM soft points left. For some reason, I can't get the hang of the Sig .I have mostly been messing around with some old lever guns.Current project is 1900 era Winchester 94 in 38-88. That is hoot to shoot
© 24hourcampfire