Home
Since I have too much time on my hands, I'd like to identify the most popular EDC gun here in the HANDGUNS forum. I am asking each of you to list the make/model/chambering of the handgun you carried the most during calendar year 2019 and give an approximation of how many days you carried it. (If you went to town and carried your gun, then made a second trip to town and didn't carry it, count it as a day you carried).

So, if you carried a S&W 640 .357 Mag for 210 days, a Sig P365 9mm for 144 days, and went naked for 11 days, just list the Smith .357--there is no need to list your second place gun or anything else.

If there is a significant response to this poll, I will tally the results and post them. (Additionally, I might also group some of the results into more general categories--like lumping all J-frames into a single result, or all micro .380's, etc.)

EDITED TO ADD: I fear some will not respond, because they don't want to list a "low number of days." Please, don't sweat it. Around here, everybody will just assume that you rotated 100+ pistols, so "6 days" isn't a number anyone will question.
Glock 19, 9mm, 350 days.
Sig P-220 everyday when I get up I put my jeans and gun on in that order. But I was carrying my 3" S&W performance center 1911 until I bought the SIG midyear. I don't carry inside the prison but as soon as the monkey suit comes off I put on the gun. Only if I go into a governmental building do I go in unarmed with a firearm. So almost every waking minute except at work it is a 45 ACP of some kind. Sharp pointy objects are a different subject. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Sig P-220 everyday when I get up I put my jeans and gun on in that order. But I was carrying my 3" S&W performance center 1911 until I bought the SIG midyear. I don't carry inside the prison but as soon as the monkey suit comes off I put on the gun. Only if I go into a governmental building do I go in unarmed with a firearm. So almost every waking minute except at work it is a 45 ACP of some kind. Sharp pointy objects are a different subject. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

So which of the two is the winner? How many days?
Detonics .45 every time I leave my house.
Colt Commander .38 Super...just like the last 40 years...350-355 days...

Other 10-15 would be a G19 or a Kahr P380...
Originally Posted by Waders
Glock 19, 9mm, 350 days.

This.

Springfield xds the other 15 when I have to dress up.
I’d hazard a guess that G19’s and 365s in 9mm will be tops.

I often have a LCR 22lr in a pocket.

ETA- Hard to claim a number of days as I don’t carry in the sense you may be asking about. It is in my car or truck most days I leave the house. On my person a portion of maybe 3 or 4 days a week. I don’t holster, I pocket carry, and it’s in and out of my pocket often.

Going into the bank? Stick it in my pocket. Home Depot? Pocket. Work? Stays in the vehicle. Walking the dogs or hiking? Pocket.

Bulk of the day, I don’t have it on me and may go several days without picking it up all.

G41 90% or more days of the year
340 almost every day. I've gotten lazy in my old age. It used to be my G19 on work days and my G43 on other days.
So...could everyone please give the number of days you estimate that you carried your #1 gun last year.
An M&P Pro 5" 9mm five days a week, it's my working gun. By choice I should add. Off duty is usually a 9mm Shield, but occasionally 642 .38 J frame gets the call. If I were pressed to only have one option it would be my 4" M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm.
9mm Shield. 200 days. SW 360PD 75 days.
Always have a spare shield in the truck.
Sig P365 about 325 days. The rest of the days would be split between a Glock 19 and a Glock 42.
In 2019, Glock 17, 9mm, probably 360+ days.

Kahr CW9 on a very few days.
Primarily the G34/G17/G19.
Steyr M9A1 9mm - say 280 days
CZ P10C 9mm - maybe 160 days
Yes I know that adds up to more than 365, one's a daylight gun, ones a darktime gun so there's regular daily overlap.
G19, 9mm daily. Unknown days didn't. Less than 10 I guess
I can't honestly answer your question because I carry so many different guns day to day.
Glock 27 40 cal 350 days.
Smith M&P 40 Shield. Probably 200+ days.
M&P shield 9mm , 300 + days a year.
In 2019, it was the Glock 26 (9mm), carried 365.
M&P Shield, 9mm EZ and .45.
Ruger lcp 200 days probably.
In 2019, my Sig P365 and my Ruger LCP 380 all 365 days
Glock 19 every day in town. Glock 20 every day at home/woods.
Glock 19, 9mm, 350 days.

Ditto.
Kahr PM9 for the first half of the year, then switched to a Kimber Micro 9.
Sig 320 9mm (a couple different variants).
315+ days.
Kahr CM-9 carried 360 days in an appendix carry Sticky holster. Carried my brother's new model Colt Detective 38 Special in a Tagua appendix carry clip holster for 5 days while visiting him in Idaho in October. I didn't want to hassle with taking my gun since I was traveling with a carry-on.
S&W 360J. Carried 365 days. Hasbeen
LC9S Probably 300 days
I figured the Glock 19 would be the clear hands down Winner.
But so far, it’s not looking like it.
Good thread Waders!!!
Glock 19 all day, every day. I do have a G43 for special circumstances but have never carried it all day, yet.

mike r
Smith Wesson 60-9 357. Everyday on afternoon hikes.
Smith M&P 2.0 Compact 360 days or so, the other days I carried my Smith 640-1.
Originally Posted by NH K9
315+ days.

You don't count. Being armed is part of your work.
Ruger LCP "Custom" .380. If I leave home both days on the weekend, 104 days.

To and from work, (4 miles each way), S&W 340 in car door- but not actually carried on me.
S&W M&P Shield .40S&W. Almost every day when I was at home, but I traveled a lot.

THe last month I've been using a Ruger Security 9. 14 in the mag and 14 in the spare mag.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
315+ days.

And?
I have options at work as well.
Smith and Wesson Shield in 9mm in colder weather, around 90 days. Warmer weather I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT either in a cargo shorts pocket or in Thunderware, probably 60 days. Can’t carry while at work but have another 9mm Shield locked in the truck 24/7/365.

Elk Country
Glock 43 9mm - like to carry when not working but I work alot so probably only carry ~40% of the time.
315+ days.

And?
I have options at work as well.

I didn't mean to sound disparaging. I wouldn't count my nephew in this either, as it's also his job to carry pretty much every day.
Sig 365 most days. LC9 pro if dressed light and using a pocket holster. Winter days with lots clothes, a 1911 Commander in 45. If hiking where I may encounter 2 legged or 4 legged vermin, then a big bore revolver in a perfect packing length.
Dan Wesson ECO 300 plus days..........Glock 43X the remainder
S&W SD9VE Guessing 300 days a year, Then a Ruger LCR the rest of the time. Of the 300 days with the Smith probably 100 I have both guns on me.
Up until Jan this year I carried a LCP. No I carry a S&W EZ9. I'm retired and only carry when I leave our sub division.
9mm Shield. Around 150 days a year.
An old no-rail Sig 229 in 40 S&W. If I ain't sitting with my feet up, it's on me. If I am sitting on my ass, it's a foot to my right.
Springfield Champion Operator 1911 in .45 Auto ~ 200 days a year. Mainly in colder weather when I have a coat on that shows the imprinting.
Ruger LCR .38 Special +P ~ 150 days a year....in warmer weather and I am dressed like the slut that I am.
The days I don't carry are pretty much only when I fly somewhere for a few days at a time.
G17; an estimated 183 days. I carried daily, a G17 at least half the time, so 182.5 days, rounded up, to 183. On non-G17 days, I would probably carry one of several revolvers.

As I get older, I have to carry bigger pistols, for orthopedic reasons. The little ones hurt too much to get enough training reps, and, I lose confidence in my accuracy capability. I mothballed my pair of G19 pistols in early 2018, when I retired from the PD, after having last shot them at my October 2017 qual. Shooting a larger G17 does NOT translate to a high level of skill with a G19.
I carried a Glock 17 Gen4 9mm on me about 300 days last year. Another 30-ish days with a Sig P229 9mm. The rest of the time I was on cruise ships or in the hospital.
I was a Gen 4 Glock 17 guy before switching to a Gen 5 Glock 26. Carried it for years.
LC9s every day.
340pd S&W. 50 days
G40 I’d say 300+

Odd revolves or g29 the other days.

A little printing never hurt anybody
If I have my pants on I have a sidearm attached.

Have to go with 150 days each a year carrying a Gen4 M21 45 ACP/P226 tac-ops 40 S&W.

The other 65 days for church/bbq's/visits with old veterans on the creek bank camps divided about equal between:

Colt LWC 38 Super
DW 10mm
LB 45 ACP
Fusion Arms bobtail Commander 45 ACP
Glock 19.

When my pants go on, it goes in a Milt Sparks IWB.

Every day, all day.

My Sig P-365 is my "jammie pocket" gun, and is a "NY reload" for my 19

Never know when someone might try to rob me of my toilet paper! (GRIN!)

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Glock 19.

Every day, all day.

Virgil B.

I don't wear jammies, but I do wear a bathrobe in the AM, before my shower. In that pocket, for many years, always rested a NAA Mini Revolver in a pocket holster. Since things started going sideways in the current situation, I've switched out to an S&W Airweight Bodyguard J-Frame .38 in a pocket holster. Once my pants go on, though, it's the Glock 26, Gen 5, carried IWB, with spare 17 round mag on the off side of my belt.

PS I do the morning routine with my chickens in my bathrobe, so that .38 is a comfort back by the hen house.
I rotate the assortment. My most carried are a Colt Commander, a Springfield XDS .45, one of several S&W J frames, in .38 and .357 Mag, Glock 19, CZ 75d pcr,and a SIG in 9MM:
Kimber Master Carry Pro Light Weight Commander .45, probably around 200 days.
442 S&W...something like 24 years.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Ruger LCR in .357mag, 350 days.
Glock 43 and or Glock 23 362 days. I was sick and in bed a couple days.

Edit: I forgot to discount hunting and fishing days where the glocks stayed home, in which case the S&W 69 was the choice gun, so lets say 35 days of S&W and 327 days of Glock.
S&W J Frame, 38 spec for 300+ days. Other days a Glock 43x or Sig 320

The 38 even when not carried is not far away
LCP 380 ~350 days.
S&W 642 .38 Special, usually in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Probably 250-300 days.

So...could everyone please give the number of days you estimate that you carried your #1 gun last year.

For those that haven't listed one gun and the number of days you carried last year, please do so. It's the only way to get data that can be tabulated.

Thanks!
Glock 19.

Every day, all day.

Virgil B.

Virgil,

You stay safe now.

LMAO. smile
Switched around among several until I got my the one I have now which is

Sig 365 9mm Carried probably 100 days
Glock 19.

Every day, all day.

Virgil B.

I don't wear jammies, but I do wear a bathrobe in the AM, before my shower. In that pocket, for many years, always rested a NAA Mini Revolver in a pocket holster. Since things started going sideways in the current situation, I've switched out to an S&W Airweight Bodyguard J-Frame .38 in a pocket holster. Once my pants go on, though, it's the Glock 26, Gen 5, carried IWB, with spare 17 round mag on the off side of my belt.

PS I do the morning routine with my chickens in my bathrobe, so that .38 is a comfort back by the hen house.

What about in the shower, Hawk? (Sorry, you set yourself up for that and I couldn't resist.)
Originally Posted by cra1948

What about in the shower, Hawk? (Sorry, you set yourself up for that and I couldn't resist.)

I don't have one in there. That was a joke someone came up with when I started a thread about the handgun I keep in my bathroom, and ways to protect it from corrosion due to high humidity from the shower. I did intentionally title the thread "Shower Gun," because I thought that would get a laugh or two, since that was a meme at the time, along with "mall cop" and such. Unfortunately, the joke took on a life of its own, and some people think it was true. I guess I should avoid assigning funny titles to threads.
Four pages of responses and only two people carry G26? That's . shocked
Originally Posted by Slavek

A Glock is a Glock. The 19 or the 26 or the 17. Pretty much the same, other than the proportions of slide and grip length.

A small sign of hope for humanity.

For those that haven't listed one gun and the number of days you carried last year, please do so. It's the only way to get data that can be tabulated.

Thanks!

Herding cats...
P365 all year as CCW day to day, for probably 25 or so days bunting I carry a G20 but not concealed.
G29 150ish days
glock 19x , keep mp shields 9mm in the car.
Waders, the most carried is a 442 S&W. I’d say 150 carry days.
I don't sleep in jammies, but put them on when I get out of bed, and fire up the 'puter....(GRIN)

Oh, and I packed my Glock 19 for 365 days in the last year.

Just about ready to put my pants, and Glock on....

Virgil B.
S&W 340sc,180 days

Thanks!

He expects clean data....how quaint.
Kahr CW 380, about 125 days.
S&W 337PD J-frame maybe 40 times last year on my person, but it and others are not very far away in the house or vehicle. Meanest thing in the neighborhood is a gray squirrel, but I can't say that for Florida.
Kimber Micro 9 the most, about 200 days.
Originally Posted by cwh2
LCP 380 ~350 days.

Pretty much the same here.
Midway USA has a sale on certain Glock factory magazines with many listed as "in stock".
Ruger LCP

2019 - I'm guessing 115 days

2020 - everyday since Feb 29
Glock 19, 9mm, (you knew that), 350+ days a year. Used to only "not" wear it to church, but now with Covid 19 I'm wearing it every day.
OK, my 442 for the last 365 days. And every day before that, for several years, except when I was in Iraq.
Bob
Kimber Super Carry Custom. Approximately 350 days per year. Ditto for the previous 7 years. Versamax II.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

That is really KOOL choice. I like to find one of them with long slide and short grip designed for six-shot magazine, mega cool
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

That is really KOOL choice. I like to find one of them with long slide and short grip designed for six-shot magazine, mega cool

Slav,

I see you haven't posted what you carry.

If that because your Communist country does't allow you to carry?
Walther PPK 380- 300 days as I live in a sleepy little village. Rest of the time is a G26 or a Kimber Pro Carry depending on my mood.
Glock 26, 90 days.
2019: 300+ days.. LCP

2020.....116 days... LCP

Burt2506
weekends and vacations only time I carry; no can carry at worky.
so, 52 weekends=104 days; 35 or so vacation days. sometimes carry after work. lets say 150 times I carried.
split that up pretty evenly between these three:
S&W M&P9c 2.0 (4")
S&W M&P45c (gen 1)
Walther PPS M2 9mm
Carried the 9C the most probably....45 days
In 2020. Kimber micro 9 for 365 days.
What's the tally, Waders?

Or, are you going to let this run a little longer?
Just scrolling through but not really counting, I'm surprised how many carry teeny weeny as opposed to regular sized guns. J-frames still pretty popular it seems.
My second most carried is a j-frame
I don't carry at work, I plumb schools. Every day when I get to work the pistol comes out of my pocket and goes in the glove box until after work and then back in my pocket
I mostly pocket carried a glock 42, probably 250ish days a year. The rest of the time its my Kimber custom crimson II in 45ACP in a OWB holster.
Originally Posted by Lonerider

That seems like more of a prediction.
Originally Posted by jdb
My second most carried is a j-frame

J-Frames definitely still have a legitimate place.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Yup. Bit of a typo there but probably true as well.

So what's the one day you won't be carrying?
G19 - 364 days

G43 - 1 day (had to wear a tux in a wedding, no belt or belt loops)
I rotate between three. Wilson Xtac 5” 45 ACP. Springfield Xds 45 ACP and a Wilson Professional 4” 45 ACP.
One is always on me or within arms reach 365.

😎
OK, Shield 9 for 200 days.
Originally Posted by RufusG

So what's the one day you won't be carrying?

The day they lay me in the ground!!
It's nice to see five-shot light weight revolvers kicking ... of G19, S&W Shield, P365..... Those revolvers are useful for pocket carry, ankle carry,.....just very simple, reliable firearms. What is surprising is lack of excellent alloy-framed six-shot .38 Special Colt revolvers. Used ones with slight wear w/o useless cardboard boxes can be found for not much more than S&W J-frames.
For last year I'd say 225 with my lcp.
G43 approx 300 days
I thought an E D Carry handgun only shoots blanks.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I thought an E D Carry handgun only shoots blanks.

Only if they’re not blued.
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I'm letting it run for awhile. (As expected, there are a lot of responses with no statistical value, like "All the time;" "whenever I leave the house;" "90% of the days I carry;" "my favorite is;" "I've been carrying this pistol for 50 years;" etc. etc. etc. None of those types of responses provide data than can be factored into the final results.

The simple goal was/is to simply see what model of gun was actually carried the most last year. The poll is simplistic, but it's based the theory that our actions demonstrate our beliefs, not our words--take the guy that says, "It's important to give to the poor," but he gives $0 to the poor. How do we determine what he believes--by his words or his actions?

Useful responses will say:
1. The make/model (the actual model number, not just "J frame" or "compact") of gun you carried the most in 2019
2. The actual (or estimated) number of days you carried it.

Remember, there is no need to explain or justify beyond that. If you own 364 pistols and carried 363 of them for 1 day each, but the last one for 2 days, that's your winner. You just say "[Make/model of the gun] for 2 days." Nobody should infer you only carried a total of 2 days.

I'm letting it run for awhile. (As expected, there are a lot of responses with no statistical value, like "All the time;" "whenever I leave the house;" "90% of the days I carry;" "my favorite is;" "I've been carrying this pistol for 50 years;" etc. etc. etc. None of those types of responses provide data than can be factored into the final results.

The simple goal was/is to simply see what model of gun was actually carried the most last year. The poll is simplistic, but it's based the theory that our actions demonstrate our beliefs, not our words--take the guy that says, "It's important to give to the poor," but he gives $0 to the poor. How do we determine what he believes--by his words or his actions?

1. The make/model (the actual model number, not just "J frame" or "compact") of gun you carried the most in 2019

Remember, there is no need to explain or justify beyond that. If you own 364 pistols and carried 363 of them for 1 day each, but the last one for 2 days, that's your winner. You just say "[Make/model of the gun] for 2 days." Nobody should infer you only carried a total of 2 days.

If you needs help imputing arbitrary values, perhaps this will help:

https://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/impute.html
About equal between S&W 317, G43, and M&P 40. Call it for the G43 and 50 days in the last 12months
S&W 642. 365 days.
My most carried handgun of the last year is the Beretta Nano in 9mm, probably carried 120 days.
Glock model 45: 325 days

Springfield XDS in .45 ACP.....my only carry gun! memtb
To clarify, S&W Model 637 for the vast majority of the year
Originally Posted by RGK
442 S&W...something like 24 years.
Bob

Bob, the reloads in your speed strip, are those Remington 38 Special+P 125gr SJHP's? I am curious because these days most of the people I ask that carry 38 Spl+P tell me they carry Short Dots, Golden Sabre's or HST's. That's looks like an old school load. My snub nose is a Colt Magnum Carry and my carry load is the Remington 357 Golden Sabre round, but I would have no issue with using the older Remington 357 load in 158gr SJHP or for a lower recoil the Remington 357 load in 110gr SJHP. I believe that a lot of the older style ammo still performs well.
XDS 45 ACP ...every day..All day!!
It's nice to see five-shot light weight revolvers kicking ... of G19, S&W Shield, P365..... Those revolvers are useful for pocket carry, ankle carry,.....just very simple, reliable firearms. What is surprising is lack of excellent alloy-framed six-shot .38 Special Colt revolvers. Used ones with slight wear w/o useless cardboard boxes can be found for not much more than S&W J-frames.

As someone else already asked - list what you carry here. If you actually carry? It's not much use giving your opinions about carry guns if you don't carry.

I feel your pain. I'm not sure why it's so hard for most people to follow simple directions.

I guess with that said I shouldn't have added the 1 day of G43 carry in my post, but hopefully gave what you needed anyway, G19 meaning Glock 19.
Armed every time I leave my residence. Prolly stayed home a few days here and there. So 325 days. Glock 43 9mm about 95% of the time. At Church I carry a Glock 19.

Ron
G43
~150 days
The one gun LEOSA allows me to carry across state lines. G48, black like God and Gaston intended, Shield Arms mags, with Wolff G19 +10% springs, Trijicon HD yellows, Overwatch precison trigger, Tyrant design mag release, G Code AIWB. Gold dots 147 grain, G2's.
Why is that the only one LEOSA lets you carry?
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 everyday until I purchased a Glock 26 which is now my EDC.

More than a few weekend days where I carried a 1911 Commander.
Originally Posted by efw
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 everyday until I purchased a Glock 26 which is now my EDC.

Unfortunately, he only wants to know what you carried the most in 2019, and how many days. Looks like it was the Bodyguard .380. How many days?
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Why is that the only one LEOSA lets you carry?

Your only allowed to qual with the type of gun you've trained on. I'm a old dog, so I had revolvers, DA/SA's, DAO's and Glocks. The agency that quals me only allows one gun, and they take the serial number. I shoot best with my old service pistol, a G17, but I simply can't hide it come summer in the high desert.
Colt Officer's Model 34 ACP.
Originally Posted by efw

Unfortunately, he only wants to know what you carried the most in 2019, and how many days. Looks like it was the Bodyguard .380. How many days?

195 days with the S&W, 30 with the 1911, and 60 w/ the Glock 26 which is 365 from here on out.
Waders;

Do we have a "winner" yet?

Virgil B.

Sig P 365
Originally Posted by jwp475

Sig P 365

How many days did you carry it in 2019?

Sig P 365

Every day
Waders;

Virgil B.

I'll do a preliminary calculation next week.

I'm hoping people will give post updated responses with numbers. I can't put "most days" or "usually" on a spreadsheet.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

How many days last year?
Originally Posted by ChipM
To clarify, S&W Model 637 for the vast majority of the year

How many days would you say that was?
Originally Posted by memtb

Springfield XDS in .45 ACP.....my only carry gun! memtb

How many days?
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I rotate between three. Wilson Xtac 5” 45 ACP. Springfield Xds 45 ACP and a Wilson Professional 4” 45 ACP.

It's OK to estimate: Which one did you carry the most? How many days did you carry it?
Originally Posted by jorgeI

How many days last year?

Good chance that's the only 8.6 mm in the list.
Waders;

Virgil B.

I'm hoping people will give post updated responses with numbers. I can't put "most days" or "usually" on a spreadsheet.

I could do it and simply. Assign values as indicated by responses.
As accurate as any data as you'll get in this kind of setting.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

😎

You just killed the poll. smile
Originally Posted by johnw
Waders;

Virgil B.

Sounds good. It's your project now.
300 days
Waders;

Virgil B.

Sounds good. It's your project now.

That is so awesome! And thank you!

Assigned the values and did the calculations in my head just now.
H&K P9S for the win!!!
laugh
Seems a Glock 9mm has the highest number. If you want to distinguish between model categories, then double stack 9mm Glocks seem to win. I think narrowing it to barrel/grip lengths within that category would be misleading, as in falsely under accounting for the Glock, double stack, 9mm, such as breaking up the Glock 26 and the Glock 19, as if they were two entirely different choices, when really they are the same choice in gun, just different barrel and grip length choices.
PRELIMINARY RESULTS:

Before giving any results, I just wanted to say that I had to do some estimating to get actual numbers. I'm no statistician so if you want to criticize my methods, I'll just say this: You're right. I agree with you. smile

-Several responders gave percentages. So I just did the math and came up with a number. If you carried GUN-1 "50% of the time" I called that 183 days.
-Several responses said "almost everyday" or "almost all the time." I called that 90% of the time, which equals 329 days.
-Several responses said "most days," "mostly," or "most of the time." I called that 75% of the time, which equals 274 days.
-Several responses gave a range of days, i.e. "320-350 days." I always used the highest number of the range as the response.
-There were 12 responses that didn't offer me enough information to even take a SWAG at it, and those responses are omitted.
-Rather than track all the Smith J frames by model number, all .357's were lumped into one category; all .38's in another.
-I grouped all 1911's, regardless of manufacturer into three categories (full-size, commander, and officer models). You'll notice no reported data for 1911's; that's because there were virtually no responders carrying 1911's. It kind of made me sad...

The data:
There were 82 usable responses.
Those 82 responders carry 41 different guns as their primary EDC.

The Winners:

Glock 19 - 8 responders. 2854 days.
Ruger LCP - 8 responders. 2009 days.
Smith J frames (.38 Spcl) - 7 responders. 1885 days.
Sig P365 - 6 responders. 1769 days.
Shield 9mm - 5 responders. 940 days.
Smith J frames (.357 Mag) - 4 responders. 924 days. (If you count the single Ruger LCR in this group it becomes: 5 responders. 1274 days)
Glock 17 - 3 responders. 843 days.
Kimber Micro 9 - 3 responders. 748 days.

The rest of the data is pretty meaningless, IMHO.

Thank you for participating! If there are enough additional responses, I may do an update.
PRELIMINARY RESULTS:

Before giving any results, I just wanted to say that I had to do some estimating to get actual numbers. I'm no statistician so if you want to criticize my methods, I'll just say this: You're right. I agree with you. smile

-Several responders gave percentages. So I just did the math and came up with a number. If you carried GUN-1 "50% of the time" I called that 183 days.
-Several responses said "almost everyday" or "almost all the time." I called that 90% of the time, which equals 329 days.
-Several responses said "most days," "mostly," or "most of the time." I called that 75% of the time, which equals 274 days.
-Several responses gave a range of days, i.e. "320-350 days." I always used the highest number of the range as the response.
-There were 12 responses that didn't offer me enough information to even take a SWAG at it, and those responses are omitted.
-Rather than track all the Smith J frames by model number, all .357's were lumped into one category; all .38's in another.
-I grouped all 1911's, regardless of manufacturer into three categories (full-size, commander, and officer models). You'll notice no reported data for 1911's; that's because there were virtually no responders carrying 1911's. It kind of made me sad...

The data:

The Winners:

Smith J frames (.357 Mag) - 4 responders. 924 days. (If you count the single Ruger LCR in this group it becomes: 5 responders. 1274 days)

Thank you for participating! If there are enough additional responses, I may do an update.

Wader,

Fixing missing and ambiguous values is always a pain in the ass.

You did just fine.

Thank you for putting this together for us.
PRELIMINARY RESULTS:

The data:

The Winners:

Uh, what about the Glock 26. I'm one, and I remember at least one other.

Take that!

Take that!
Seriously. I specified days carried, too. Maybe he has me on ignore.

Take that!

Sorry, TRH, maybe I should have said "statistically insignificant" rather than "meaningless." There were quite a few ones-ies and twos-ies. As such, there really isn't any need to calculate any result--the raw data is the result. I don't have my spreadsheet here at the house, but I think I only published data for a gun if at least 3 people carried it. No slight was intended (other than the fact that the G26 is for girls... smile )

EDITED TO ADD: In my preliminary remarks, you'll also see that I didn't report anything for the 1911's (for the same reason--there was something like one of each size (full, commander, officer) so I just left the 1911's out of the final result.)
In my opinion, you’ve made excessively narrow classes, separating out the Glock 26, 19, and 17, when they are merely three barrel/grip length variations of the same gun. It would be almost like considering 2.5” 4” and 6” Model 10 S&Ws, along with separating them out based on round or square grips, several different guns when you calculated stats on the most popular revolver models of the 1970s.
In my opinion, you’ve made excessively narrow classes, separating out the Glock 26, 19, and 17, when they are merely three barrel/grip length variations of the same gun. It would be almost like considering 2.5” 4” and 6” Model 10 S&Ws, along with separating them out based on round or square grips, several different guns when you calculated stats on the most popular revolver models of the 1970s.

You could be right. I won't say your aren't.

However, I'm happy with my decisions. Consider this: I wasn't the one who "separated" the Glocks; the manufacturer (Glock, Inc.) did when they made the 3 different models you listed. You, yourself, switched your EDC from a Glock 17 to a Glock 26 (according to your April 20th post in this thread on this thread). Why would you do that if they are basically the same gun? Well, they are not the same. In fact, they are different enough that you prefer one over another. I feel the same way. I own several G19's and no G26's; that was not accidental. My goal for this poll is in the title of the thread--to identify THE single most popular EDC here. Admittedly, there weren't enough responses to truly identify a winner, but the results are what they are.

But...rather than argue the decisions I've made, maybe you could group guns together as you see fit and do your own calculations--all the raw data is in this thread. Looking at data from multiple angles is never a bad thing.

Take care!

Waders did it correctly. Different barrel lengths and grip lengths mean exactly that "different"
The gun carried most last year?
Tie......between my Ruger LCP .380 and HKP30L 9mm
Distant second place a Colt Commander .45

Gets hot, the LCP goes everywhere. Cooler weather the HK
For others who question what guns should or shouldn't be grouped together, I know where you're at. I struggled with the notion, myself.

Does one group the Ruger LCP with the Kahr CW .380?
Does the Sig 938 belong with the Kimber Micro 9?
Do Ruger LCR's belong with Smith J frames?
Do Glocks with the same slide width and caliber belong together?
Should hammerless Smith J frames be separate from hammer models?
Should J frames be lumped together at all? (After all, some guys spent real money on scandium & titanium models only to get grouped with the budget models. Are they sufficiently similar to get put together, or are they "different?")

There were a lot of decisions to be made. So I just did what I thought was best. I am not arguing I made the correct or best decisions.
Originally Posted by hookeye
The gun carried most last year?
Tie......between my Ruger LCP .380 and HKP30L 9mm
Distant second place a Colt Commander .45

Gets hot, the LCP goes everywhere. Cooler weather the HK

If you want your response to count: (1) Post the gun you carried the most, and (2) the number of days you carried it in 2019. It's OK to estimate.

But...rather than argue the decisions I've made, maybe you could group guns together as you see fit and do your own calculations--all the raw data is in this thread. Looking at data from multiple angles is never a bad thing.

Take care!

Well, the Glock 19 won hands down by your reckoning. Add in that the Glock 17 was also represented, and (even though you didn't register it, for some reason) the Glock 26 was represented also, I'm proclaiming the Glock double stack 9mm offerings (all of which take the same magazine class, downward-interchangeably) to be the overwhelming winner.
Not calling anyone a liar, but I suspect everyone who isn't an LEO and claims to carry a G19 or larger everyday isn't being entirely honest with themselves. In my experience that "everyday" is couple of times a month or the larger gun is in the truck and there's a .380 or j-frame in the pocket. Just saying.
Originally Posted by jds44
Not calling anyone a liar, but I suspect everyone who isn't an LEO and claims to carry a G19 or larger everyday isn't being entirely honest with themselves. In my experience that "everyday" is couple of times a month or the larger gun is in the truck and there's a .380 or j-frame in the pocket. Just saying.

With respect, you are dead wrong. I've been carrying since 1980. Started mainly carrying pocket guns, and then only from time to time, but soon started carrying them just about everyday. Then I started sometimes carrying larger, service sized, guns. Gradually, I was carrying the larger, service sized, guns more often than pocket guns, and eventually gave up pocket guns completely, and only carried full sized guns. Since the middle 1990s, I have mostly carried full sized guns, such as steel 1911s, three inch K-Frame, steel, S&W revolvers, and a Glock 17. During periods of years when I carried one of those, it was about every day. Only last year did I start carrying the Glock 26, but I could be just as happy with a Glock 19, which I have also.

People think it's hard to carry full sized guns, but done right, and giving yourself time to get used to it, it becomes quite easy, and feels natural.

I can only speak for myself. I wore the G17 daily for years. Now the G19, and it is a treat to carry.

You used to be correct with me. I preached "no man in a gunfight wishes he had a smaller gun and fewer bullets," but...I personally carried a Kahr PM9. It was hypocrisy.

I switched to a G19 for the longer sight radius, the increased ammo capacity, and the larger size (for better grip off the draw). I carry it to and from work. On the weekends, it rides in an IWB Blade Tech. On "cheat days," which are about once per month, I pack the Kahr. Those are usually on the weekend, in daylight, when I am going somewhere and don't plan to get out of the truck or I'm going to a friend's place and back (no "public" places).

Can't stand to be "statistically insignificant", can you? grin

I think I'm gonna respond "statistically insignificant" every time you post "high bore axis" laugh
And yeah...

I can be an ass. Don't even really gotta try...

Can't stand to be "statistically insignificant", can you? grin

I think I'm gonna respond "statistically insignificant" every time you post "high bore axis" laugh

LMAO! I say go for it
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I can only speak for myself. I wore the G17 daily for years. Now the G19, and it is a treat to carry.

I carried a full size all steel 1911 for years, by comparison a G19 seems like a snap
Personally I prefer to be statistically insignificant. When you’re under the radar you can get away with all kinds of cool chit. So I carry G32s and 38 Supers.

I should have said LEO or Marine! smile

Absolutely.

I carried a full size all steel 1911 for years, by comparison a G19 seems like a snap

Truly. I also carried an all steel 1911 for years, and quite quickly became used to the feel of it to the point it felt funny not carrying it. But I must admit that, if you are active on a hot day, outside, carrying it, you begin to feel it no matter what, and the double stack Glock 9mms (17, 19, or 26) are a huge improvement in that regard.
I like G26 because due to short grip it's easy to conceal. If it had rail for small light it would be perfect. While it will accept G19 or G17 magazines I don't carry them because fully loaded they're simply to heavy. My choice is 9+1 configuration.

I should have said LEO or Marine! smile

You should have remained silent rather than judge others by your own standards. Just saying.

mike r
Surprised there weren't more glock 26's besides me and hawkeye.
Originally Posted by JackVliet

Have no fear! He was able to satisfy his need for affirmation by lumping them in with the 19s and 17s and declaring victory. Feel free to partake of this delusion if needed. You're welcome!
Originally Posted by JackVliet

Guess you didn’t catch this

quote=Swifty52]Walther PPK 380- 300 days as I live in a sleepy little village. Rest of the time is a G26 or a Kimber Pro Carry depending on my mood.[/quote]

If perhaps I left a village of 300 people more often then the G26 and Kimber would get carried a lot more, but since I don’t go anymore than 3 blocks from the house i.e the P.O, gas station or lumber yard it doesn’t require a 12+1 plus extra mag or a 1911 and extra mag so the PPK conceals better in those circumstances plus being lighter.
Now when I lived in a city of 250,000 and left the house every damn day then the Walther never left. G26 or 1911 depending on mood was 365 days a year.
I like G26 because due to short grip it's easy to conceal. If it had rail for small light it would be perfect. While it will accept G19 or G17 magazines I don't carry them because fully loaded they're simply to heavy. My choice is 9+1 configuration.

Yep. Mine is carried with the flush mag, too. I carry a spare G17 mag on the opposite side.

I carried my M&P 2.0 Compact, which is the size of a G19, almost daily last year, the other days I carried a different pistol for different reasons. I now own a G19.5 and have carried it daily and will continue to do so.

Ya I've tried the sub-compacts and the fact remains I can carry a G19 easier than I can shoot a sub-compact pistol and can carry more rounds. We shoot a concealed carry match monthly ( until this wuhan stuff got out) and lots of lessons were learned.
Originally Posted by TWR
We shoot a concealed carry match monthly ... and lots of lessons were learned.

I'll bet.

Good post!
The club I belong to has those concealed carry course matches, too. Haven't tried it yet.
Retired 7 years my glock 48 goes with me everytime i leave my property except when going to the courthouse to add another gun to my CCP. Over the past 40 years i am at 207 handguns,had just about any small carry gun out there,I am done looking for the perfect carry gun with the glock 48
PRELIMINARY RESULTS:

Before giving any results, I just wanted to say that I had to do some estimating to get actual numbers. I'm no statistician so if you want to criticize my methods

I think your assumptions & guesstimates are just fine; this is a nominal exercise with nominal data & input but likely fairly representative & more or less makes sense.

Not surprise that the G19 came out on top.

I'm mildly surprised that the Sig 365 came out below the J-frames, based on the large number of posts here in general by people saying they've bought one & it's the 2nd coming...........would have thought it would be closer to #1.

There's a really wide range of choices of weapons so the only thing that would really help an analysis like this is many more responses for a larger sample size.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I'm mildly surprised that the Sig 365 came out below the J-frames, based on the large number of posts here in general by people saying they've bought one & it's the 2nd coming...........would have thought it would be closer to #1.

70 year head start?
LCP 365
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This delta point has only been on this g40 and those wear mark aren’t from sitting in a safe. Not a cop.
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

This delta point has only been on this g40 ...

G40 I’d say 300+

G40 I’d say 300+

My hat's off to you, if you're packing a G40 around concealed every day..
S&W M19 2 1/2" in winter, don't care for revolvers in an IWB holster, so I always have a fleece type jacket on in winter which covers the high ride OWB holster, and a Glock 43 in summer, slim and trim and easily rides in an IWB scabbard.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

70 year head start?

Could well be; I have a 442 & a 340PD that I've had for a while, & though they are far from my 1st choice, they sees some use as a pocket gun in the summer a fair amount, when I'm on my motorcycle with only a (tucked in) T-shirt.

Better than being completely unarmed...................that's about all I can say about it.

MM
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This delta point has only been on this g40 and those wear mark aren’t from sitting in a safe. Not a cop.

Is that wear on the DPP from kydex, leather, or from using it as a charging handle? Kinda looks like scrapes, which has me curious what caused it. Kydex and leather wear usually cause more feathered edges (like the wear down closer to the slide) instead of sharp scratches like up at the top. No criticism intended, and if you're using it as a charging handle you've got the right idea.

I suspect you have very little experience being around people who understand how/why to carry a serious gun, and do so for the right reasons. (Right reasons meaning not as a talisman or "feel good" insurance, or assuming they know when a fight will happen or what it will look like.) Exposure to the right people would change your tune pretty quick.
A G19 is not difficult to carry if you're in reasonable shape (i.e. can see your own pecker without a mirror), and you don't have to be law enforcement or military to do so or understand the reasons why you'd want/need to.
Last year I carried a Glock 26 with a 12 round magazine most of the time, probably around 300 days. Occasionally my G-19 and G-43.

This year with the Covid 19 and staying home I am packing a G-42 or G-43. The G-26 gets the call when I am going out.
Originally Posted by Yondering

I suspect you have very little experience being around people who understand how/why to carry a serious gun, and do so for the right reasons. (Right reasons meaning not as a talisman or "feel good" insurance, or assuming they know when a fight will happen or what it will look like.) Exposure to the right people would change your tune pretty quick.
A G19 is not difficult to carry if you're in reasonable shape (i.e. can see your own pecker without a mirror), and you don't have to be law enforcement or military to do so or understand the reasons why you'd want/need to.

You would be incorrect in that assumption. I've had a CCW for 27+ years, was a very active competitor for a lot of years in USPSA and IDPA, shot with a lot of very serious people (military and LEO), and have carried full size guns frequently (still do at times). I've also watched a lot of those very serious guys put there 1911's and Glocks back in their range bags after the match was over and slip a j-frame in their pocket to go about the rest of their day.

Yes, there are people that are dedicated enough to carry full size guns all the time. In my experience, they are the minority though and I've personally witnessed a lot of people who say their carry gun is X actually carrying something much smaller when they are out and about.
I just saw this thread, here's my carry info for 2019.

Kimber Micro 9, 9mm carried ~350 days. I'm approximating because it was slipped inside my waistband every morning even if I didn't leave the house all but a handful of days.

I've carried full size 1911's, Ruger Redhawks, GP100s and the Kimber Micro9 CCW since 1995. By far, the Kimber has been my favorite! I forget I even have it on me much of the time. And this is without doing anything special to make sure it's concealed, other than making sure I have an "overshirt" if I have a jacket on and take the jacket off in public.
© 24hourcampfire