Home
Posted By: Esox357 Springfield Hellcat - 05/07/20
Looking for a micro 9mm and found this. Anyone own one? How do they shoot? How is the trigger?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/08/20
No experience with the Hellcat other than fondlin it at the LGS.

I’ll just say, try the p365 before you decide.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/08/20
Ok. Ill look at it. I was also looking at a sw shield 45 acp
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/08/20
Have to say, Im really looking at theHellcat with the RMR optic capability, looks to be pretty tidy carry gun?
Originally Posted by Esox357
Looking for a micro 9mm and found this. Anyone own one? How do they shoot? How is the trigger?

I've been following this issue for a while, but never had my hands on one. By all reports, they are excellent, and in the class of the Sig P365.
Thanks guys. Looking for a pocket pistol preferably a 9mm. Bern eyeing a MP shield 45 or hellcat. Seen one video online saying the trigger is unsafe but think it's an isolated issue.
Posted By: deflave Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/08/20
I don't have one but I'm sure I will when all this Corona horseschit subsides.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/08/20
I'm a Glock guy, and my shooting buddy is a Springfield guy. He bought a Hellcat and asked me to try it out at the indoor range one day. I was damned impressed! Accurate, great trigger, and felt good in my medium sized hands. If I didn't already have a Glock 43 for EDC, I would buy and carry one.

Ron
Thanks guys. Looking for a pocket pistol preferably a 9mm. Bern eyeing a MP shield 45 or hellcat. Seen one video online saying the trigger is unsafe but think it's an isolated issue.

Yes, I saw that one. Most don't have the issue, though. Likely Springfield is addressing it, too.
Yeah i was a little hesitant but imagine or hoping Springfield will fix any issue if needed?
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/08/20
I like the looks of the Hellcat.

The P365 is obviously a fine pistol, but to me there is something about the looks of it......like I would expect to see Catwoman in full regalia, pulling one out......grin
😃 right Montana...

i checked it out today. 499.00 but salesperson said Wednesday that they have 50.00 dollars off so i told him i would be back. I tried the shield. I didnt care for the grip. I also tried the sig p365. The trigger was hardly noticeable very suprised they can fit an 11 round magazine in it. For the price im going fo go for the Springy.

Ohio, Im with you. I learned on a glock 17 so Glocks are near and dear....I really like this Springfield.
My only experience is handling both at the LGS.

For me, the Springfield has a much better grip. Easier to get a solid purchase and "feels" and doesn't feel so dinky in my hands like the Sig does.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/08/20
I prefer the Hellcat to the P365 in every way.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/09/20
If it had the xd grip safety i would have been in line to buy one when they came out.
Originally Posted by cwh2
If it had the xd grip safety i would have been in line to buy one when they came out.

That's an unusual position, since most are saying that this would be a deal breaker for them vis a vis the Hellcat, and they are interested because it lacks the grip safety, which many complain about on the XD.
Posted By: ronc Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/09/20
Handled both at my LGS wnd preferred the HC, fits my hand better. Went back last week to buy the HC and it was long gone.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/09/20

In reality what you have there is ergonomically enhanced Glock 26 with rail and non-plastic covered magazine tube.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/09/20
More like a hybrid 1911 and Glock combo is what I think of the XD line.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/10/20
The Hellcat is an excellent alternative to Glock 26. More ergonomic shape results in lighter weight plus there is provision for mounting holo-sight, small light/laser, and quality metal sights for similar price to that charged for Gen 5 Glock 26. If I had to pick today I would take the made for Springfield Armory Croatian product instead of the Glock.
Originally Posted by Slavek
The Hellcat is an excellent alternative to Glock 26. More ergonomic shape results in lighter weight plus there is provision for mounting holo-sight, small light/laser, and quality metal sights for similar price to that charged for Gen 5 Glock 26. If I had to pick today I would take the made for Springfield Armory Croatian product instead of the Glock.

No thanks. I'll stick with the long tested, tried and true. I'll keep my Glock 26.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/10/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That's an unusual position, since most are saying that this would be a deal breaker for them vis a vis the Hellcat, and they are interested because it lacks the grip safety, which many complain about on the XD.

Never understood what people dislike about the grip safety, especially in xd guise. But I'm far from a handgun expert so perhaps the nuance is lost on me. For a gun that might be pointed at my nuts/leg for long periods of time, I'd welcome a little "extra" safety. But, I might end up with one anyway.
Some complain of the necessity to grip it just so in order to disengage the grip safety, when during a gun fight, a perfect grip isn't always acquired when one is attempting to discharge his handgun.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/10/20
Glock 26 is great but its size is almost same as a glock 19 with the finger extension added, which most do. Therefore the hellcat makes sense going down in size but still being a useable firearm to me.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/10/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
No experience with the Hellcat other than fondlin it at the LGS.

I’ll just say, try the p365 before you decide.

^^^This^^^

The P-365 feels better in my hand and has a better trigger IMO. And I didn’t like the funky U-notch on the Hellcat’s tear sight.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/10/20
When designing Hellcat the HS Produkt team did away with the useless grip safety. The final product is same size as Glock 26. The G26 has larger grip due to stupid back strap hump and plastic covered magazine body. The magazine can hold 11 cartridges because there is no stupid polymer covering the magazine. The ergonomically shaped slide allows the Hellcat to weigh less than the G26.
I'm not going to get rid of Glock to get the Hellcat, but if I was buying new gun I would choose the more ergonomically advanced Hellcat. It simply represents more useful features,therefore, better value for money spent.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/10/20
I was also looking at a sw shield 45 acp

CDNN has them on closeout.
Glock 26 is great but its size is almost same as a glock 19 with the finger extension added, which most do. Therefore the hellcat makes sense going down in size but still being a useable firearm to me.

I carry my Glock 26 with flush magazine (giving me 11 rounds on board), to maximize non-printing. I carry a spare 17 round mag for it on the other hip.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/12/20
Some complain of the necessity to grip it just so in order to disengage the grip safety, when during a gun fight, a perfect grip isn't always acquired when one is attempting to discharge his handgun.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure this is a subject as hotly debated as religion, the best truck, and brand of beer, so I don't need to add to it. Grin.

In reality what you have there is ergonomically enhanced Glock 26 with rail and non-plastic covered magazine tube.

Not a bad place to be...

I'll probably end up with a Hellcat at some point.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/13/20
I went to pull the trigger and literally couldn't. I found that even slight pressure to the side of trigger prevented it from firing. Damn I love everything else about the gun.....but It bothered me enough that I walked away. I hope Springfield redesigns the trigger!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/13/20
Once again, the Sig P365 for the win!
Posted By: Slavek Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/13/20
After experiencing that I would walk away too.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Once again, the Sig P365 for the win!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/13/20
Back to drawing board. I wish sig still made the p239! Maybe a J frame is my next option or 365?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/14/20
What didn’t you like about the p365?
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/14/20
Trigger pull felt weird but I will take a look at them again.
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/25/20
I shot the Hellcat at the local range and came away VERY, VERY impressed! That little pistol shoots like a dream, had zero malfunctions and was extremely accurate.

I plan on getting a Hellcat. It would make an EXCELLENT concealed carry pistol and holds 12 rounds!

The sights are simply amazing and the trigger is great as well.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I shot the Hellcat at the local range and came away VERY, VERY impressed! That little pistol shoots like a dream, had zero malfunctions and was extremely accurate.

I plan on getting a Hellcat. It would make an EXCELLENT concealed carry pistol and holds 12 rounds!

Did you try that thing that's supposed to cause the trigger to freeze? If I could cause that to happen, I think I'd pass on the Hellcat till they got that worked out 100%.
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

Did you try that thing that's supposed to cause the trigger to freeze? If I could cause that to happen, I think I'd pass on the Hellcat till they got that worked out 100%.

No, I fired the gun prior to even hearing of any issues. As long as Springfield has corrected it, I'd still love to own one. All new guns to the market can experience minor issues.

We fired numerous rounds between 3 different shooters and had ZERO malfunctions with our gun.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/26/20
The gun is designed for people with small to medium sized hands. The palms of the guy in the video are too large, he needs something similar to G19. I don't get it, I mean, if one has large feet they don't buy shoes couple sizes smaller to see how they like them.
The gun is designed for people with small to medium sized hands. The palms of the guy in the video are too large, he needs something similar to G19. I don't get it, I mean, if one has large feet they don't buy shoes couple sizes smaller to see how they like them.

Actually, I have decent sized hands, and the Hell Cat feels good in the hands, much better then the Sig 365. Springfield did a good job balancing size and capability.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/29/20
They did, now they need to recall the trigger and I would be buying it.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/30/20
My P365 has well over 2000 rounds through it, I am very happy with it.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/31/20
My concern with Hellcat is it's country of production. Croatia. If things go south with Croatia, will Springfield be able to support parts and magazine needs.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/31/20
Originally Posted by Lennie
If things go south with Croatia, .

All things considered, things are running a lot more swimmingly in Croatia than in the USA at the moment.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/31/20
Come on, its a $500 gun.
If you use it for 10 years and can't get something, your are out what
just a few bucks. Bet you own something already that parts are hard to come by.

I wouldn't let that be the one factor to keep me from a gun I wanted.

But, it could be one of several factors.

If you are paranoid, but a firing pin, springs and whatever little bits that
might break.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Springfield Hellcat - 05/31/20
Ok. Ill look at it. I was also looking at a sw shield 45 acp

the shield in 9 loses out to the p365 but the shield in 45 is a most excellent gun, mine is as accurate in my hands as a I can shoot, I was just amazed at how well it shoots. .
© 24hourcampfire