Home
Posted By: Esox357 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
Looking at a Sig P210 or CZ Shadow II. Anyone shot either gun? Looking for accuracy and shootability purposes....meaning a tuned trigger, great sights thst are geared for target shooting. Really interested in the CZ snd if anyone has shot this one? Also if you know of other reccomendations let me know as well.
Posted By: RJM Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
Bought one of the 210s in March...could not be happier. Bought the Standard over the Target and the three dot sight system is very easy to see.

Trigger is astounding...that is what sold the gun.

Bob
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
I shot starched cover's (poster here) new Sig 210. The grips are designed for one handed style shooting . Nether one of us shot it well. Great trigger though. He plans to order the now available conventional style grips for it... Sig is offering it from the factory that way now as well.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
I've an original shadow and have played with a couple shadow 2's. Great guns, and accurate, but I don't know that I'd call them "target pistols" by any means. But I guess that also depends on what you mean by target shooting. Recreational target shooting, or Bullseye type shooting.

If you're leaning towards the CZ you can also look at the Accu Shadow.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
More 3 gun style match or bowling pin shoots. May take it for a hike in a prairie dog town and shoot some with it. Any other guns to consider.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
Will a 9 knock bowling pins off the table reliably?
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
It does ok. I usually use a cheap hp which helps.
Posted By: doubletap Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
CZ Czechmate is about as accurate as I’ve seen in 9mm.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
S&W 52?

1911A1 with target sights in 38 Super?
Posted By: Waders Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
Originally Posted by Borchardt

It depends.

Bowling pin matches can be set up in a number of ways. A traditional match will set bowling pins on a table and the pin has to be hit and knocked backward 3 feet, maybe a couple inches more. A 9mm can manage that, but only if the hit is perfect and the bowling pin is new or almost new. Bowling pins tend to collect lead as they are shot over & over, and get heavier as the match goes along. (I have a pin in my shop that gained a full 2 lbs of lead from being shot.) Once a pin starts to gain weight, the 9mm becomes mostly useless. Pins get "tumors" too, meaning bullets almost punch through but don't, leaving large bumps on them. Those bumps prevent the pin from rolling nicely. Bumpy, heavy pins need a bigger gun to knock them off the table. At that point you don't want to bring a 9 to a gunfight...

If your bowling pins are just set on a rail of some sort (2x4 or 2x6), a 9mm just needs to tip them off and is easily enough gun to accomplish that.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
I like my H&K USP Expert 9mm. Here's a picture of a target after 10-shots at 10-yards in 10-seconds; ammo was Blazer 115gr FMJ. I've since adjusted the rear sight to bring the group up into the X-ring.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: RJM Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
Colt Competition Model...has about everything you need in a 1911. Bought one a few months ago in .38 Super and was not disappointed.

Came with a crisp breaking trigger at 4 pounds 6 ounces..a good smith could take that down to 3 to 3.5. Gun is also available in 9mm. One can add a barrel, magazine and recoil spring and have a two caliber setup. Super takes pins right off the table with full charge ammo.

Bob
Posted By: skitish Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
I have shot the CZ Shadow 2 in USPSA for the last 2yrs. This is not an accuracy competition. I shoot a Beretta 92FS and a P226 in IDPA because the Shadow 2 will not make the weight limit. My CZ Shadow 2 is more accurate than the Beretta or P226 with me shooting them. The Beretta has been tuned by Wilson Combat and my P226 is stock. The CZ is very reliable and the reset on the trigger when going SA is superior to the Beretta or SIG, the SA trigger pull weight and the smoothness of the trigger will help with your accuracy. The sights on the CZ Shadow 2 are set up for quick acquisition not pin point accuracy.
Posted By: SS336 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
What Waders said about bowling pin. Just to much of a disadvantage. Our club started a under 40 night for the 9’s, problem is the .357 magnums and 38 Super showed up. Still fun though.
We shoot 5 pins and a stop plate, so revolvers aren’t at a disadvantage.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/16/20
Originally Posted by Borchardt

I have heard it will.
Posted By: Slavek Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/17/20
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
S&W 52?

1911A1 with target sights in 38 Super?

The 952 is worthy alternative to the P210, although one will no longer be able to buy one for around $1500 because I think they're out of production.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/17/20
Bob, 5" 210? What accuracy are you seeing with what ammo? Thanks...they are fine handguns.
Posted By: okie john Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/17/20
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I like my H&K USP Expert 9mm. Here's a picture of a target after 10-shots at 10-yards in 10-seconds; ammo was Blazer 115gr FMJ. I've since adjusted the rear sight to bring the group up into the X-ring.

I had a full-sized USP in 45 ACP that shot like a match gun. The Expert should be even better.

Okie John
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/17/20
Hk is an option. See how trigger is
Posted By: viking Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/17/20
Brownin Hi power, berettas...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by RJM
Bought one of the 210s in March...could not be happier. Bought the Standard over the Target and the three dot sight system is very easy to see.

Trigger is astounding...that is what sold the gun.

Bob

My bud that runs my favorite LGS here has a P210. Would love to buy it off him, but he ain't selling.
Posted By: HARDBALLER Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/18/20
I've read a few post by bac1023 over at Glock Talk. He actually owns a lot of these accurate 9mm pistols. It might be a worthwhile read of his posts over there. https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/i...ers-to-the-range.1643628/#post-23718665.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/a...ith-wesson-ppc9-6.1603374/#post-22722798
Posted By: StarchedCover Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/18/20
2ndWind is correct I do have 5 inch P210A that I purchased new in December 2018.
After shooting several magazines through a friend of mine's 210A I just had to have one, loved the trigger, was ok with the green fiber optic front sight and the target grips. I got mine from my local SIG dealer for $1200 cash out the door, probably not the best price at the time but I was happy with the transaction.
Once I got relocated back to NC and unpacked, I did take it out and shoot it a bit (more of a glorified function check). It functioned flawlessly, seemed to like 124gr. bullets over 115gr.loads but the grips weren't working for me so after 200 rounds I put it back in the safe with the thought of changing the grips out. The afternoon at 2ndWind's place was no tour de force of pistol marksmanship by either one of us.
In early March of this year I purchased a set of Hogue grips (checkered Pau Ferro) and pulled the factory target stocks; let's just say I like the change, they fit my hand much better and I really like the way the gun pointed.
I've now had the gun out twice since I changed the grips and I am very happy with the results, it has a preference for MEN and S&B 124 grain ball ammunition so far.
I'll never be ready for the line at Camp Perry but I have managed some 3 - 3.5 inch groups at 25 yards.
I'm glad I spent the money.

StarchedCover
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by HARDBALLER
I've read a few post by bac1023 over at Glock Talk. He actually owns a lot of these accurate 9mm pistols. It might be a worthwhile read of his posts over there. https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/i...ers-to-the-range.1643628/#post-23718665.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/a...ith-wesson-ppc9-6.1603374/#post-22722798

Thank you Hardballer!!
Im really lookimg hard at the HK USP Expert now as well. I hope the trigger is good or can be tuned if not?
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by Esox357
Im really lookimg hard at the HK USP Expert now as well. I hope the trigger is good or can be tuned if not?

I found the trigger on mine to be good out of the box; it is H&K's match trigger with an overtravel stop. I've found the single action pull to be crisp and usable; the DA pull is a bit heavy--and nowhere near as smooth as my tuned Beretta 92's--but that's because it's an H&K. Don't expect the greatest trigger in the world. Do expect ridiculous accuracy right out of the box, in a gun that is more durable than just about anything else out there.

Edited to add: The USP can be switched out to H&K's LEM trigger, and, using the match trigger and other parts, you get an "LEM Match Hybrid" trigger that some find to be ideal for the platform. For my Expert, however, I've chosen to stick with the DA/SA Match setup the gun came with because I primarily shoot the gun single action only, using the thumb safety like a 1911.

There are target 9mm's out there with better triggers--most 1911s, for instance, and tuned Beretta's or CZ 75's. But the best reason to buy an H&K USP is that the guns just work. No messing around, no aftermarket parts, no special gunsmiths, no variability between years of manufacture. Just buy and shoot.

CZ TSO is worth looking at. Incredible pistol for the money. The trigger is unmatched by anything I’ve ever owned. I have LBs, Nighthawks, Freedom Arms, Volquartsens, etc. I sold it to my best friend because I don’t compete and with 21 rounds, I spent all my time resetting up steel targets. This is going to sound crazy but it was too good. Actually boringly stupid accurate and easy to shoot.
Posted By: walt501 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/19/20
If it were my money and I wanted an accurate 9mm, I'd look no further than the Dan Wesson DWX,

[Linked Image from danwessonfirearms.com]

CZ took everything good about their CZ Shadow 2 Orange DA/SA competition pistol and used it to come up with the 1911 based DWX, From what I read, they're not in dealer hands yet, but they should be showing up soon.

Check them out. Click Here
Wow. Drooling!
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by Esox357

I found the trigger on mine to be good out of the box; it is H&K's match trigger with an overtravel stop. I've found the single action pull to be crisp and usable; the DA pull is a bit heavy--and nowhere near as smooth as my tuned Beretta 92's--but that's because it's an H&K. Don't expect the greatest trigger in the world. Do expect ridiculous accuracy right out of the box, in a gun that is more durable than just about anything else out there.

Edited to add: The USP can be switched out to H&K's LEM trigger, and, using the match trigger and other parts, you get an "LEM Match Hybrid" trigger that some find to be ideal for the platform. For my Expert, however, I've chosen to stick with the DA/SA Match setup the gun came with because I primarily shoot the gun single action only, using the thumb safety like a 1911.

There are target 9mm's out there with better triggers--most 1911s, for instance, and tuned Beretta's or CZ 75's. But the best reason to buy an H&K USP is that the guns just work. No messing around, no aftermarket parts, no special gunsmiths, no variability between years of manufacture. Just buy and shoot.

Would a smith be able to tune trigger or replace on HK? Eow thst

Wow that DZ looks awesome. May have to buy 2
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/19/20
You can replace parts in the HK trigger system but it isn't really a "tunable" trigger in the way a 1911 or Beretta trigger would be, and the match DA/SA trigger that comes with the Expert pistols already has the best of the HK trigger parts.
Thanks Oregon45
Posted By: jbuck Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/20/20
Glad I seen this. I've been thinking the same think. I dont compete, but I like to play around at the range. I had a p210 Legend that I sold a while back and have been looking for its replacement.

It was really an amazing pistol. Super accurate, trigger was superb and it fit my hand very well. I would buy another in a heartbeat, but the 8rd magazines got old. I have a P226 that usually take out now and its OK but its not in the same class.

I looked at the Walther q5 Match and it felt pretty good in the hand, but the trigger was nothing special. I like the idea of a 2011 9mm, but not sure whats good without going too extreme.
Posted By: Waders Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/20/20
Originally Posted by jbuck
I had a p210 Legend that I sold a while back and have been looking for its replacement.

Just curious, what made you decide to break up with the P210? Something related to the gun, or just other things going on in your life?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/20/20
I've read some good stuff about the Kimber 9s.
Posted By: jbuck Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/20/20
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by jbuck
I had a p210 Legend that I sold a while back and have been looking for its replacement.

Just curious, what made you decide to break up with the P210? Something related to the gun, or just other things going on in your life?

I got into long range and needed a scope at the time. If I could go back in time and undue it, I would.
Posted By: Yondering Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/21/20
I considered the Shadow 2 last year, but ended up buying a Tanfo Stock II. It's a great shooter. Just be aware of the main downside to most Tanfoglio or CZ pistols - they'll need some $$ in trigger work to be really good; they make very accurate pistols with usually mediocre triggers. Of course some of the custom shop guns from either brand are exceptions.
The AccuShadow is probably the ultimate in this category for pure accuracy.

If that DWX was available last year I'd probably have bought one. I'm interested to shoot one eventually, looks like all the best features of a 1911 and CZ 75 combined.

My Stock II looks a little different now with thinner grips and the Titan hammer, but the stock wood looked pretty good IMO. The bull barrels in these are made from Lothar Walther polygonal blanks, and shoot very well.

Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9mm target handgun - 05/21/20
Nice pistol
© 24hourcampfire