Home
Posted By: jorgeI SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
Looking for folks who've had experience with them and how they compare to the GLOCK 21. Thanks in advance
Posted By: Esox357 Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
MP has a better trigger. I prefer Glock for the reliability and durability.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
Jorge, I don't have either but I notice that the Glock 21 has a higher magazine capacity 13 rounds to the Smith & Wesson M&P 45's 10 rounds. If I was already vested in the Glock platform with other pistols, I'd go with the 21, plus it carries as many rounds as a 9mm HiPower.
Posted By: viking Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
One small reason that I have always liked Glocks is account of their mags. Years ago we tried a bunch of different service pistols. A lot of reloading and the Glock mags just didn’t wear your thumbs out like metal mags.

Maybe that’s an insignificant reason to most, but when your shooting and reloading all day it made a difference.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Jorge, I don't have either but I notice that the Glock 21 has a higher magazine capacity 13 rounds to the Smith & Wesson M&P 45's 10 rounds. If I was already vested in the Glock platform with other pistols, I'd go with the 21, plus it carries as many rounds as a 9mm HiPower.

The Glock would certainly be the easy choice, however, they are a bit bulky for my hands, so I figured maybe the MP with less capacity might fit me better. Having a hard time finding a store that has BOTH so I can compare.
Posted By: ccrifles Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
I prefer the S&W over the Glock. Grip angle seems more natural and ergonomically correct for my hands and for most that shoot them side by side. I have both 9mm and .45 acp in the M&P and Shield, the M&P 45 is the most accurate, very good shooter. Never had a hicup, nothing wrong with a Glock, but I think the Smith is as dependable. I also think the M&Ps shoot a little softer than Glocks in all calibers. I carried a Glock the majority of my career so I have plenty of experience with them.
Originally Posted by ccrifles
I prefer the S&W over the Glock. Grip angle seems more natural and ergonomically correct for my hands and for most that shoot them side by side. I have both 9mm and .45 acp in the M&P and Shield, the M&P 45 is the most accurate, very good shooter. Never had a hicup, nothing wrong with a Glock, but I think the Smith is as dependable. I also think the M&Ps shoot a little softer than Glocks in all calibers. I carried a Glock the majority of my career so I have plenty of experience with them.

Very helpful post, thank you
Posted By: MOGC Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by ccrifles

Me too ^^^^
Posted By: MOGC Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by Esox357
MP has a better trigger. I prefer Glock for the reliability and durability.

Because the M&P isn't?
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
Jorge, I would also make sure that you like the way the hinged trigger feels on the Smith & Wesson M&P. It feels a little different to my finger, compared to the Glock style triggers. You may also want to check out the Walther PPQ in 45ACP.
Thanks. I'll check the PPQ out as well.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
I have a M&P 45, several years old, not the new version. Triggers a bit too heavy, but otherwise i love it. Exceedingly accurate (has a tight chamber), so it's not gonna run with sloppy reloads, but 100% reliable, with decent ammo, and handles recoil better than any 45 acp I've shot & I think I've shot them all. I love 1911's but this is a safer handgun to carry & use for anyone who's not fully experienced with the operation of the 1911.
Posted By: TWR Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/22/20
I prefer the M&P45 over the G21, mine is the midsize, holds 10 rounds but I think they make 13 or 14 round mags. I did replace the trigger in mine with an Apex kit and I love it. Never had a malfunction with any hollow point or sloppy reload from my Dillon SDB, never. Very accurate and easy to shoot. I shot this group the other evening at 20 yards standing with no real aiming point besides center of the A zone. 200 grain SNS coated bullets and 5.5 grains of Unique.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have both Glock and M&P's and like them both but the M&P45 is my favorite.
Bottom one is the 45
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/23/20
I don't own either one in 45, but I've shot both; both shoot well for me.

But I have 3 other M&P's including one of the 2.0's & the M&P's feel better & are more accurate than the equivalent Glucks in my hands.

But, honestly, much as I like M&P's 2.0's feel, Sig's are my preference, by a small margin.

At least give a look to the Sig 220 Legion before you buy............it's about Commander size, but it's also mo' money, too.

JMHO.

MM
Posted By: local_dirt Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/23/20
Originally Posted by jorgeI

The Glock would certainly be the easy choice, however, they are a bit bulky for my hands, so I figured maybe the MP with less capacity might fit me better. Having a hard time finding a store that has BOTH so I can compare.

Jorge, have you looked at a G21 SF?
I own a G21 Gen4 and an M&P45 2.0. The Glock wins in capacity, aftermarket support, and I prefer the trigger, but thats about it for me. The M&P grip is thinner and more adaptable for various hand sizes. It also has a more ergonomic (for me) grip angle. The trigger is certainly usable, but like I said, I prefer Glock triggers over factory M&P triggers.

The M&P is less bulky. One thing I like about the M&P line is I can use the same holster for the 9, 40, and 45 as long as the holster is long enough to accommodate the 45, or if you have the 4 inch version of the 45. To me, the M&P45 is one of the softest shooting 45s on the market. I think that actually goes for all the M&Ps.

I really like the gun and everyone who has shot it, said they liked it.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/23/20
How does the S&W M&P compare to the standard weight 1911 for recoil/soft shooting?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/23/20
The HORROR. Two Glocks followed me home today, a Gen 5 17 and a G4 21. With the GLOCK LEO/Military discount, I said WTF and bought them both. I'm going to try and convince the wife to keep the 17 as her home gun...
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/23/20
Congratulations Jorge, I can't wait to hear how they shoot for you.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/23/20
I have two, a 1.0 and 2.0. These are our standard issue pistols and almost all of my coworkers have chosen to stick with it. I have around 10,000 rounds through them and have used mine in competition as well(not well, but that’s more me than the gun). I can’t compare to a Glock as I’ve never used one, but I do like mine and bought back my original one when we upgraded last year. These new ones are hard on uniform shirts with their rougher grips, but they do shoot well and the standard sights are better on the 2. I ended up putting Truglo TFX Pro sights on the last one. I don’t like how the 2.0 doesn’t slam the slide closed when reloading quickly, I know it’s a safety issue but I preferred that operating style.
Regarding capacity, you can always get the extended 14 round mags if that matters. Most of us have a few of those in our trucks too.
Anyway, regarding reliability, I have literally never seen a feeding issue on my guns or any coworkers in training(no doubt well over six digits worth of rounds between us), and as a game wardens, our guns see a lot of dirt and some water.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/25/20

Just got back from the range with the 17 and my Colt Gold Cup 45. shot a standard TSR-21 Transitional Silhouette Target from 15 yards. for the 17, I used Blazer 115gr ball and for the 45, 230gr PMC ball. Groups were about 3X as big with the Glock. It also shot low and left, which I corrected by drifting the sight, but I will have to try other loads, maybe in 14 & 147 gr offerings and see what happens. The Gold Cup group you could have covered with a Silver dollar whilst the Glock it was a 5" group more or less.. I did not take the 21 but I will do so next time.
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/25/20
I own and really like both (Glock 21 Gen 4) and (SW M&P 2.0 45)

Reliability - equal, neither have ever malfunctioned
Capacity - Glock 13 (Glock is better), SW 10
Accuracy - tie
Trigger - SW slightly better
Grip/Ergos - SW is much better
Finish - SW is MUCH better, Later year Gen 3 to Gen 4 finishes stink
Sights - Glock (plastic), SW (steel): SW better
After market sights available - tie
Price - SW much cheaper
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/25/20
The Walther PPQ 45 is VERY snappy!!! It has a very high bore axis
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/25/20
I have two of the Austrian High Points just for experimental use. G-21s. One is now a 50 GI and one a 9" bbl 45 Super with the capacity to shoot std velocity. I would like to shoot and carry the S&W for a bit to see if I liked it. If it worked out well I would get 14 round magazines. I may sell the older G21 and the 50 GI slide and 2 magazines. I like the way the 9" barrel shoots with the 45 Super but it isn't much for a carry gun. I set it up to experiment and maybe hunt with. The 9" barrel and all the spring and guide changes I made allow it to shoot in a mild way. I suppose a lot more shooting or a trigger job would make it shoot even smoother trigger wise. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/25/20
Should've gotten the Smith.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/25/20
Jorge, try some hotter ammo to raise the point of impact with the 17. Blazer 9mm ball is pretty mild 115gr @ 1135fps, try some Winchester 9mm Nato 124gr @ 1200fps, it should raise the point of impact. I am betting that your carry loads will print higher.
Thank you, ar. I also forgot to mention that with the military/LEO discount, the Glocks are a real bargain as well. I'm going to try some of the Winchesters you suggest.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/25/20
Owned my M&P 45 for about 8-9 years. Purchased it with a 30% military discount (off MSRP). 1,000's of rounds later I cant ever recall it failing to feed or eject. It might be the best semi .45 I have ever owned. Recently bought a CZ 97 and a Sig 220 but haven't fired them yet for comparison.
Posted By: MOGC Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/25/20

Just got back from the range with the 17 and my Colt Gold Cup 45. shot a standard TSR-21 Transitional Silhouette Target from 15 yards. for the 17, I used Blazer 115gr ball and for the 45, 230gr PMC ball. Groups were about 3X as big with the Glock. It also shot low and left, which I corrected by drifting the sight, but I will have to try other loads, maybe in 14 & 147 gr offerings and see what happens. The Gold Cup group you could have covered with a Silver dollar whilst the Glock it was a 5" group more or less.. I did not take the 21 but I will do so next time.

Is this your first efforts with a striker fired semi auto? The low/left and large groups are common with shooters new to striker fired handguns.
Originally Posted by MOGC

Is this your first efforts with a striker fired semi auto? The low/left and large groups are common with shooters new to striker fired handguns.

Not really a first time. I've owned my 357 SIG G31 for a while and the groups were still not very impressive, which has been my point from the get-go. And I was very careful and deliberate with the trigger pull
Posted By: wahoo Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/27/20
bought the m&p when they first came out and have shot it a lot. I don't think I've ever had a failure to feed.

I like the trigger and the general feel in my hand.

lots of friends love glocks but I've never cared for the trigger.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/29/20
FYI folks, tried some 124gr Remington Golden Saber JHP +P as well as FMJs and it brought the group up to dead center. Also the 115gr Sellier & Belot FMJs shot a lot batter. I guess this gun just does not like the Blazer ammo.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/29/20
Jorge, that's great news, glad to hear that the pistol is shooting to point of aim and that you found other 115gr fmj ammo that shoots better.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/29/20
FYI folks, tried some 124gr Remington Golden Saber JHP +P as well as FMJs and it brought the group up to dead center. Also the 115gr Sellier & Belot FMJs shot a lot batter. I guess this gun just does not like the Blazer ammo.

Golden Saber ammo is great.
Posted By: TWR Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/29/20
Did you drift the sight back in line?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SMITH & WESSON M&P 45 - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by TWR
Did you drift the sight back in line?

Just a tad, still not centered..
© 24hourcampfire