Home
Posted By: pacecars Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/16/20
I have been waffling about having a custom single action built for several years now. Every time I thought I was ready to do it something shiny would catch my eye and there went the money but I decided it was now or never and have now finalized the details with John Powers and will be sending off a Ruger Old Model Flattop Blackhawk in .357 Mag made in my birth year of 1966. John is going to do the following:
Rechamber cylinder to 10mm
Fit and chamber extra cylinder to .38-40 and BP chamfer
5 inch octagon barrel marked .38 WCF/10mm
Fermin Garza front sight with interchangeable blades
Barrel length steel ERH
Crescent ejector rod
Brass Bisley Grip frame from Ronnie Wells
Bisley Hammer and trigger
Belt Mountain base pin
Action Job
Free spin pawl
Case harden frame and hammer
Blue cylinder and barrel
Scott Kolar fancy Walnut grips

If anyone has any ideas of what else I might be leaving out feel free to make suggestions

Need to find a worthy holster too!
Posted By: gunzo Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/16/20
Sounds like it will be a great looking & versatile gun. Looks like you've got about all the bases covered with exception of the rear sight. With all those other goodies a Bowen rear might be in order. Get in line @ Bowen, or maybe Ron P. might be equipped to furnish one.
Going for that nice a set up, thinking a floral carved El Paso Threepersons or a Barranti could compliment.

FWIW, they didn't make an OMFT in '66. OM's, yes but have the rear sight ears by then. No biggie.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/16/20
It is a Flattop and according to the serial number It was made in 66
I wonder if 1966 would be the shipping date?
Posted By: gunzo Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/16/20
Ruger never necessarily shipped by numbers, so you could have a point. My collectors guide list #42689 in 1962 as the last OMFT, but again, one never knows for sure about Ruger.

None the less, It still sounds like a great project & should be a fine pistol.
Either way it was bought to convert and should end up pretty sweet. Ruger is not quite as bad as Savage with their “never say never” values!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/16/20
That sounds like a great six-shooter and project. I hope it brings you lots of enjoyment. Happy Trails
I went with the serial number one of the dealer’s employee told me over the phone but after looking at close up pictures it appears the “8” is actually a “3” which would put it at 1960. Not my birth year but still a good base gun
Posted By: pacecars Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/21/20
I believe I have found a worthy holster in Barranti’s EK-5!
Posted By: mart Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/21/20
Originally Posted by pacecars
I believe I have found a worth holster in Barranti’s EK-5!

Great choice. I have one for my FT 44 Special.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/26/20
Obligatory before picture

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: EdM Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/27/20
Nice project. My Harton built 38 WCF Flattop with mod'd SBH hammer per a sketch I supplied.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/27/20
Very nice!
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice project. My Harton built 38 WCF Flattop with mod'd SBH hammer per a sketch I supplied.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
That's always a beaut Mr. Ed. Thanks for sharing. Love it.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 06/27/20
I did make a change after looking at more pics and decided to go with a round barrel instead of octagon. It will match my Shiloh business rifle coming
Posted By: pacecars Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 07/08/20
I decided to go with the brass "Potato Judge Bisley Junior" grip from RGW and have Chad at Chig's Grips put some exhibition Ironwood on it to match the knife I am having made. I think this grip frame will look more proportional to the mid size frame. Here is a pic of what the grip frae looks like.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 07/08/20
Just ordered some Starline brass, dies and some 200 grain cast HP bullets from GP Bullets to try out

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Custom Old Model Ruger - 07/08/20
Wow thats very Nice!
© 24hourcampfire