Home
I was doing an ammunition test with my two .22 Win Mag rifles to see what they shot the best. An older Anschutz 1515-1516 and a newer 1516 in classic sporter configuration, fitted with 3-9x scopes and targets at 100 yards.
Results were as expected, with one wild exception.

I was getting good +/- 1" groups with both rifles shooting CCI 30 gr. polymer tipped, S&B 40 gr. hollow point, and PMC 40 gr. HP ammo, and reasonable 1-1/2" to 2" groups with most others like Federal 50 gr. HP, Win 45 gr. fmj and HP, and Hornady Vmax 30 gr. polymer tip. Worst group I shot was about 2-1/2" while trying a wide variety of brands, weights and bullet styles.

And then I tried Remington "Premier Accu tip V Polymer 33 gr. gold box" I could not keep shots on the target paper, much less in a group. Probably dispersion was 2 feet or so.

I moved targets to 50 yards and repeated the test with the same relative results.

Any idea what's going on with the Remington ammo? They market this stuff as their very best, most accurate ammo. I've never seen such a dramatic difference in factory ammunition accuracy in my life, and I'm reasonably experienced. What should I check? What's your experience?
Castnblast,

I’ve had similar results to yours with the .22mags.....however, the older (1990s vintage) Remington Premier Accutip - when it first came out has been the most accurate .22 mag ammo I’ve ever shot in the three .22 mag rifles I have. Interestingly enough I just went through an exercise with my Anschutz 141M that when I first got would shoot bug holes with the Hornady 30 grain V-max but has since not been doing so good with any ammo (i.e. greater that 1-1.5” groups at 50 yds.). I tried a bunch of things to see what was wrong but what I found was certain lots of the Hornady shot much better than others. The lot that I originally shot in the rifle will still shoot great in all three of my .22 mags but the other lots (I have three different lots) won’t shoot good at all. That was my experience and I’m guessing Remington is no different?

PennDog
.22 mags can be finicky. The only .22 mag I've shot that particular load in was a 9-1/2" barreled single six. It was sub inch at 25 yards with that load. Everything else stunk. Y' just never know what is going to happen 'til you pull the trigger. Since your gun doesn't like it, set it aside and shoot something else. When you get another .22 mag, try it in that. I always have a collection of part boxes of rimfire ammo I keep around to try in new guns when I buy them.

My personal bugaboo load is the CCI Maxi Mag +V. It has shot brilliant groups in every fixed-breech (bolt, lever, and contender pistol) gun I've fired it in and has shot horrid, 4-6 inch or larger groups in every revolver I've tried it in.
I understand normal variations in accuracy, but not even hitting the paper is dismal. At that point the rifle is just making noise. I have a dozen boxes of the suspect Remington ammo in my stash. If it's truly garbage I'll toss it, but if it actually has potential for another rifle to shoot OK I'll sell it to someone else without feeling too guilty. I don't understand what could be so horribly mismatched. I bet I could shoot .22 Long Rifle in my magnum rifle and not have accuracy that poor. Not that I'm going to try that, just sayin'...
Originally Posted by PennDog
Castnblast,

I’ve had similar results to yours with the .22mags.....however, the older (1990s vintage) Remington Premier Accutip - when it first came out has been the most accurate .22 mag ammo I’ve ever shot in the three .22 mag rifles I have. Interestingly enough I just went through an exercise with my Anschutz 141M that when I first got would shoot bug holes with the Hornady 30 grain V-max but has since not been doing so good with any ammo (i.e. greater that 1-1.5” groups at 50 yds.). I tried a bunch of things to see what was wrong but what I found was certain lots of the Hornady shot much better than others. The lot that I originally shot in the rifle will still shoot great in all three of my .22 mags but the other lots (I have three different lots) won’t shoot good at all. That was my experience and I’m guessing Remington is no different?

PennDog

Remington Premier was the most accurate .22 Mag ammo for my Cooper, the original Federal Premium with the Sierra 30 grain was excellent too.
I have had excellent results with the Remington Premier 33 grain 22
WMR. 1/2 inch groups at 50 meters, 2 inch groups at 100 meters, wind. Rifle is a Ruger 77 22 mag with a heavy barrel and laminate stock.
It also likes the Winchester Supreme 34 grain WMR
Another for the 33 grn premium ammo it was deadly in our 77/22 mag best ammo we tried one hole 5 shot group at 50 yds
It is interesting that some do have good results with the Remington Premier Accutip 33 gr. ammo. Can anyone offer a theory why my two Anschutz rifles are not compatible with it? I'd like to learn something from the experience.
Lot numbers, it's all about lot numbers.
Originally Posted by castnblast
It is interesting that some do have good results with the Remington Premier Accutip 33 gr. ammo. Can anyone offer a theory why my two Anschutz rifles are not compatible with it? I'd like to learn something from the experience.
Maybe quality control was sleeping during that lot. Find someone local with a different 22 WMR piece and have them shoot some. Or buy a box from a different lot and see how it shoots. Then send the target pictures to Remington, they may ask for the ammunition back for testing or maybe just send you a coupon to buy replacement boxes.
QC has been sleeping on many products from Remington in recent years. I won't be buying any more of their products to experiment with, in my experience other manufacturers do a consistently better job. I have asked my brother to try them in his Browning, perhaps he can use the ammo for something.
Never had success with any Remington rim fire amp. Way too many misfires. I have been happy with their center fire ammo for sure though
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I’ve saw a lot of differences between lots. Hasbeen
I picked up some 40 grain remington over 20 years ago. It shoots so accurate in several of my rifles , I don’t waste it.
Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I’ve saw a lot of differences between lots. Hasbeen

Yup, exactly my point. Lot numbers will vary a lot.

I'm pretty sure it's not the bullets themselves, though. A buddy of mine used to buy contract overrun 33gr. VMaxes from Midway or some place or other, and they shot bugeyes in his .221 Fireball rifle. He plinked with those loads rather than fool with a rimfire at all. It was pretty fun to shoot, I gotta admit. His Fireball had a 1.25" diameter full bull Pac Nor barrel, and didn't kick at all. A brute to carry. but fun to shoot.
Castnblast: One of my Ground Squirrel Hunting partners has a heavy barrel CZ Rifle in 22 Magnum that just LOVES the Remington 33 grain Accu-Tip ammunition.
I buy it for him on occasion when I run across it.
He is due here at my place later this week and I will get some particulars on his group sizes - and I have seen this ammo perform on Ground Squirrels in the past - its impressive.
Sorry this rather pricey (usually) ammunition does not shoot for you.
I have been having wonderful luck with the new 22 Magnum ammunition by Norma (40 grain jacketed hollow-points - 1,885 F.P.S.!) - it is BOTH very accurate and very lethal on a variety of Varmints and small game.
Good luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Originally Posted by PennDog
Castnblast,

PennDog

Remington Premier was the most accurate .22 Mag ammo for my Cooper, the original Federal Premium with the Sierra 30 grain was excellent too.

I forgot about that Federal load - really wish I would have bought cases of that stuff it was the most accurate .22 mag ammo that I ever used!!

I did see some of the new Norma ammo - I’ll have to try that one out.

PennDog
QC has been sleeping on many products from Remington in recent years. I won't be buying any more of their products to experiment with, in my experience other manufacturers do a consistently better job. I have asked my brother to try them in his Browning, perhaps he can use the ammo for something.
Remington .22 mag. ammo is all made by CCI. The 33 gr. premiere stuff has been very accurate {sub MOA} in my Marlin 882.
Try some CCl loaded with Federal GAME POINTS..My best.
Yes
Had a 77/22 Mag, the only ammo that it would consistently group with was Rem 40 grain JHP. It probably averaged about 1.5 inch at 100 yards. Every other brand or weight would not group for crap.

I bought 1000 rounds of it. That was just before Nobama came and ruined our world. That ammo became non-existent. I sold the rifle in 2014 when I shot the last of that ammo.
I have a Ruger 77/22 stainless/synthetic in .22 mag. Its kinda fussy too. I found that it really likes the Federal Champion 40gr load. It is Federal load 737.
The 33gr Remington accutips have been very accurate in 3 22 mags I've tried it in. If yours is shooting that poorly in all of your rifles, I'd send it back to remington and get my money back. The 22 magnum ammo is definitely not like your typical Remington rimfire ammo.
Castnblast: I had a short visit to my friends 100 yard range today.
I had along for a new to me CZ 457 in 22 Magnum and some Remington Premier 33 grain V-Max ammunition (along with 5 other types of 22 Magnum ammunition) to test.
Once to my friends range the conditions began deteriorating - smoke began getting worse, head wind picked up to 6 to 8 MPH, mirage began getting worse and the parallax on the 3.5x10 Leupold variable scope (non-A/O) was at least 1/4" run-out.
Anyway discounting a called flyer (light trigger on this new to me CZ!) from the five shot group there at 100 yards measured .906"!
I was happy with this performance under these conditions/circumstances.
I still have most of a box of 50 of this Remington ammunition to "use up" and once I get my 6x18 Leupold variable scope with A/O mounted on it next week I will fire some more groups for your perusal in answering your question about the Remington Premier V-Max ammo (mine is in a green and gold box by the way).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Remington .22 mag. ammo is all made by CCI. The 33 gr. premiere stuff has been very accurate {sub MOA} in my Marlin 882.

Not sure if it is still the case but when I visited the factory in 2003 my friend who works there said besides Remington CCI make the .22 Magnum ammo for Hornady and several others also. I have read that Winchester makes it for Fiocchi and if one looks at the bullets they look the same.

Was told that making the "long" .22 Magnum cases is very difficult and which is why Remington and Hornady probably find it cheaper to have CCI make their ammo than doing it themselves.

I've tried almost ever .22 Magnum round made in the rifles I have had and just find that what one gun loves the other will scatter....

Bob
Interesting, RJM. In a sako quad and a marlin xt-22, one favors hornady vmax by a scosh, the other cci vmax, and the rem accutips third in both. All +\- 3/4”, the rem closer to 1”. May be akin to differences in lot numbers, as much as the brand label, then, assuming what you report has (likely) remained true.
Well thank you all for an enlightening discussion. I asked my brother to try a box of my Remington ammo in his Browning bolt action ( A bolt??) He was impressed. Actually shot the best of the various types he's tried. So go figure. I sold him my 12 boxes of ammo cheap, he's happy and I can buy some Sellier & Bellot HP or Federal 50 gr. HP which my rifles like.
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Not sure if it is still the case but when I visited the factory in 2003 my friend who works there said besides Remington CCI make the .22 Magnum ammo for Hornady and several others also. I have read that Winchester makes it for Fiocchi and if one looks at the bullets they look the same.

Was told that making the "long" .22 Magnum cases is very difficult and which is why Remington and Hornady probably find it cheaper to have CCI make their ammo than doing it themselves.

I've tried almost ever .22 Magnum round made in the rifles I have had and just find that what one gun loves the other will scatter....

Bob
Yessir, in addition to those already mentioned the new Norma .22 mags are made by CCI as well.
© 24hourcampfire