Home
Posted By: OldRook S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Gang,

educate me about the Kit gun.. thinking I need to buy a K22 or something similar for the new year.. Always had a hankering, but never pulled the trigger. Thoughts from the board?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
The K22 or M17 is a K-frame, and a bit heavier than the J-frame kit guns. I prefer the Kit guns for carry, but that’s a personal preference thing. All the new Kit guns have 3” or shorter barrels AFIK, which means mine is illegal for hunting in my state. Hope to find a 4” or 5” someday.

K22s hold 6 or 10. Kit guns hold 6 or 8.
Posted By: OldRook Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20

Excellent, Thanks Pappy!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
My favorite .22 revolver is the M18 .22 Combat Masterpiece. I've had one since 1982/83 that has had at least 10K rounds fired and is still as tight as when new.

I bought mine as the understudy for my M19 and later M66.

EDIT: I have owned a variety of J-frame Smiths, but they never fit my hand right, so they went on down the road. I have been very pleased with the S&W clones from Rossi, the 511, 515, and 518. They use the same medium size frame as the 720 and 971, which seems to me to be sized somewhere between the J and K frame Smiths. Rossi also offered larger, "target" , grips for those revolvers that fits my hand without being too bulky.

The Rossis will never be Smiths, but they are stainless, so they are more useful to me when the weather is hot/humid and the potential for dripping salty sweat on blued CM and causing unwanted rust is present.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Every man should own a quality .22 revolver at least once in his life. A couple would be better. Grab yourself a K-22 (or a Colt Officer's Model Match) and start kicking yourself for not having done it sooner.
Posted By: rem141r Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My favorite .22 revolver is the M18 .22 Combat Masterpiece. I've had one since 1982/83 that has had at least 10K rounds fired and is still as tight as when new.

I bought mine as the understudy for my M19 and later M66.

me too. so much so that i bought one for each of my boys.

i also have a 34-1 "kit gun". the J frame is too small for my paws and to put a giant grip on it kind of defeats the purpose. but it is pretty to look at.
Posted By: Mesa Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
The "Kit Guns" (M-34, 35, 43, 51 and the stainless equivalents) and M17 are totally different in feel and use; they just work the same.

You need to handle both types and decide what you want to use your .22 for, and then how the two types feel in your hands.

In general, if you are mainly interested in a compact, light revolver for plinking and casual outdoor carry, the J-framed ("Kit") .22s will probably seem best. If you are also going to be shooting paper for score or hunting small game, the K-frames are much steadier platforms.

I don't plink or paper punch much any more, so my current Smith .22 holdings are a 4" M651 .22 WRM (in my hiking and fishing kit) and an 8 3/8" M48 .22 WRM for small game hunting and pest control (a kinda "baby rifle").
Posted By: Sbrown Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

My model 17 (K 22) and my model 34 ( Kit gun)

Love em' both and each has it's own usefulness.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Great pair.. I have the same.. My 2" kit gun I have owned longer than any other handgun...
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Nice collection of useable toys there WCH. I have used the 22 for a long time to get enough lead downrange. For fun and practice. Now my 22s are a bit neglected. I have gone to the PCP pellet gun for the most part. Be Well, RZ
Posted By: Windfall Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
The stock grips are too small on either of them, but easily rectified with a pair of customs. My first S&W was the K22 M17 6" but we were shotgunning a lot of barn pigeons back in those days and we were just finishing off the wounded birds with a handgun a close range. That K frame was too heavy for a .22 for my taste and I didn't need a 6" .22 for what we were doing. That K22 morphed into a M34 4" J frame and it has been here ever since. For a hunting handgun get the longer barrel K22. For a wear it and forget it to use as needed, get the J frame.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Gnoahh: I agree with your contention 100%.
Yesterday I looked at an original and 98% Smith & Wesson K-22 Masteriece (Post War K-22 3rd Model) also known as the Pre-17.
This wonderful pistol is being offered at $1,099.00 and is on consignment at a LGS.
But the quality and fit and finish of this nifty 4" barreled pistol just made me happy to be handling and contemplating buying it.
IIRC the price tag referred to 1952 manufacture.
Anyone interested in it - SAVE ME by buying it - P/M me for shop info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: MOGC Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
You won't regret buying a K22/M17 S&W .22 revolver. They are superb handguns.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
MOGC: Great advice.
I have 5 Model 17's right now two are unfired in the box 8 3/8" barreled guns and the other 3 are 6" minty models (no boxes for these).
Every once in a while I get the urge to shoot one of my 8 3/8" pistols off of sandbags just to see how well they shoot - but have resisted to date. They are just to valuable in their unfired condition.
Plus the 6" barreled guns shoot better than I can anymore, I am sure.
IIRC the very similar Model 18's in 22 L.R. were only offered in 4" barrel (I have two of these) and I am still trying to figure the other differences (if any?) in the Models 17 and 18 Smith's?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: GeoW Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Model 17 at 6", is the Target Masterpiece. The Model 18 at 4", is the Combat Masterpiece.

Have both and that's all the difference I can find.

Good stuff!

g
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Note m18's have a ramp front sight. M17's have a patridge front sight. Pre 17's have a smaller diameter barrel than model 17's. They all shoot nice that they do share in common. Mb
Posted By: El_CuCuy Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
My M18 is an invaluable teacher; it comes along on nearly every range trip, I shoot it two-handed, strong-handed, weak-handed, single, and double action. I do ball and dummy drills, shoot one, open the cylinder, rotate and close without looking, repeat once, then finish the cylinder. Consistent practice with a M18 shooting will do a lot to improve anyone’s sight acquisition, and alignment, trigger control, and follow-through.
Posted By: OldRook Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/27/20
Thanks for the excellent information and history gents! I believe I’d like a 4 inch model for carry in a shoulder rig in the woods. But am going to check out the 6 inch as well.

I’ll start looking shortly.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/28/20
I really like my 18.
Posted By: MOGC Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/28/20
If I were going to carry in a shoulder rig I would go for the 6" gun. You won't notice the extra two inches of barrel in a woods carry shoulder rig, but it's considerably easier to hit with the 6" gun vs. a shorter barrel. A 6" M17 has rifle like accuracy and is easy to shoot well.
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/28/20
I love my K-22. I carry it for a couple of months each year when grouse season is open.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/28/20
I find revolvers to be a little bulky for carry in a shoulder rig, so I probably carry a S&W 422/622/2206 4.5" pistol more often than I carry any .22 revolver because they fit closer to my rib cage. That said, I really, really like my M18 and think that they are great .22 revolvers.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/28/20
My K-22 is a ten shot, 6" 617. It replaced a 6" 6 shot 617. Although I'm a S&W revolver fanboy, I don't feel any particular warm fuzzies for the gun or its predecessor. I would much prefer an older 17 or K-22. It's not that big a deal however, just a utility gun for me. I'm afraid if I had one of Varmint Guy's unfired 8 3/8" guns it wouldn't be unfired for long.
Posted By: wahoo Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/28/20
these are great guns, but they are not 'tacticool'; i mean, younger shooters probably have never shot a revolver. if you buy one, buy it used. and i mean used, not pristine, new in the box used. i understand collectors, but we're talking about shooting. one thing you will get is a perfect gun once you get grips that fit.
i use tyler t grip adapters and both of mine; one is a pre war outdoorsman and one is a 1950s m-17. what you will get is a gun that guaranteed will shoot better than you can.

out there somewhere is an odd duck. a 6" 22 magnum with interchangeable 22lr cylinder that has a frame marked m-18. if you find it it's mine; stolen in 1982.
Originally Posted by cra1948
My K-22 is a ten shot, 6" 617. It replaced a 6" 6 shot 617. Although I'm a S&W revolver fanboy, I don't feel any particular warm fuzzies for the gun or its predecessor. I would much prefer an older 17 or K-22. It's not that big a deal however, just a utility gun for me. I'm afraid if I had one of Varmint Guy's unfired 8 3/8" guns it wouldn't be unfired for long.

I have a 6-shot 6" 617 and it is probably my least favorite handgun. I bought it in 07/01 and probably haven't fired it for over 19 years.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/28/20
Us 22 handgun shooters have several models that warm the chuckles of our hearts. One is the early K-22's. I do aerial target practice with mine. Quite easy to hit hand thrown pinecones in flight. My dad used an early K-22 to kill 17 mule deer in one year to feed 3 ranch families. Range never exceeded a few yards but he only had to shoot 1 deer more than once. A bullet in the ear hole and to the dinner table they went.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/28/20
260Remguy: I, again, offer to purchase your pistol IF you are intent on selling that "lemon"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
260Remguy: I, again, offer to purchase your pistol IF you are intent on selling that "lemon"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Firearms that come here seldom leave, ala Hotel California.
Posted By: jkingrph Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/29/20
Originally Posted by Windfall
The stock grips are too small on either of them, but easily rectified with a pair of customs. My first S&W was the K22 M17 6" but we were shotgunning a lot of barn pigeons back in those days and we were just finishing off the wounded birds with a handgun a close range. That K frame was too heavy for a .22 for my taste and I didn't need a 6" .22 for what we were doing. That K22 morphed into a M34 4" J frame and it has been here ever since. For a hunting handgun get the longer barrel K22. For a wear it and forget it to use as needed, get the J frame.

I agree about grip size. When I was a young USAF officer I "scrounged" two sets of the Magna grips like the Air Police used on their Combat Masterpieces, one for my K 22 and K 38
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/29/20
I have Eagle finger grooves on most of my K-frames, the smooth ones 'cause the checkered ones scuff the palm of my hand if I don't wear a glove. Found that out painfully when I put a set on my 625 MG and proceeded to shoot some Buffalo Bore +Ps, Ouch!
Posted By: GunGeek Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/29/20
I have a modern 4" 617, and a 1937 Colt Officers Target .22; kinda best of both worlds. I shoot the living snot out of the S&W, and the Colt much less. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Colt every day of the week. But I still love my 617...it's my truck gun.
Posted By: rem141r Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/29/20
ahrends retro finger groove combats fit K frames nicely. i even like the herret shooting stars. the s&w targets are not to my tastes and the magnas are too small.
Posted By: MOGC Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/30/20
I have a Tyler T on my M17. That coupled with the factory grip make it usable. I'm a big fan of the Ahrends Retro Target but unfortunately the company is no longer in business. And the grips are getting hard to get and expensive.
Posted By: 65BR Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/30/20
Sold a 34 kit gun, a 17 4" HB, TT, TH........and a 617 4".........oh and a Single Six 4 5/8 SS........

I know I know..........These days I tend to use a Browning BM or Ruger MKII..........

Sold and traded far more than the few I kept. I put that 17 to great use in college in the field.........I was deadly with it.......4" and all....loved Yellow Jackets. Snakes, Turtle heads and much more.........

The 17 and 18s are nice guns.
Posted By: OldRook Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/30/20

I intend to start the search next week.. Unfortunately the wife and I have been dealing with the Wuhan Flu... Been a bit absent on a lot of things since I started this thread..She has been extremely sick and I've been moderately sick, so playing nurse maid.. Believe she finally turned the corner this morning..Apologies for dropping off the page.
Posted By: Mesa Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/30/20
Nurses, including--amateur volunteers--get a free truancy pass (and a civilian "thanks for your service" from me!). Hope you both get very well very soon.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/30/20
model 48,650,34 and a 53
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/30/20
Very nice. That Model 53 in the box like that is worth two, maybe three hundred dollars at least...

wink
Posted By: EdM Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/31/20
I have a M63 I bought new when I was in high school when they were introduced, 1978?. A lot of critters have dropped to that piece. A few years ago I picked up a 2" M34 cheap. It is hard to shoot well. My favorite is this one. It just feels right in the hand (think Ruger Bisley), is flawlessly put together and is easy to shoot well.

Posted By: 65BR Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 12/31/20
Very nice pieces folks - not much more fun that can be had than spending a few hours, or whatever you can, in an afternoon burning some rounds plinking.........if not hunting with a nice Smith 22 of whatever persuasion!
Posted By: longarm Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/02/21
A 5-screw from the mid 50s with lots of holster wear.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SS336 Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/02/21
Longarm, great picture, kind of says it all. That holster is very nice. The revolver is even better.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by longarm
A 5-screw from the mid 50s with lots of holster wear.

Perfection.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/02/21
Some Beaut-ee-ful pieces.

I've got a 17-3.

Posted By: Certifiable Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/02/21
Another 5 screw
Posted By: JB in SC Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/04/21
Got a ‘46 five screw, lots of holster wear but it’s a great revolver.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/04/21
5 screws are getting more respect as collectors. As they should.

Maybe not quite up there with those Colt ponies, but pretty strong.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/04/21
Here's an 8 3/8" pair, K-38 and K-22, both with target hammers and triggers. I made these grips to fit my hand, wrinkle paint not the prettiest. But I have EOM grips. Not 5 screw but keepers. Probably '60's vintage. I think 5 screw guns are from the '50's..

DF

Posted By: Certifiable Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/04/21
Nice revolvers guys...
Posted By: RGK Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/04/21
Been shooting this a lot during the Pandemic. Stocks are ugly, but hey, they work.
Bob

My old 17-3, another member of the ugly grip club
Posted By: OldRook Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/04/21

Thanks for all the information and ideas.. Holy cow... Been looking at GB, but will start to hit the local shops next week after I get the all clear.. Much appreciated!!
Posted By: jkingrph Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Here's an 8 3/8" pair, K-38 and K-22, both with target hammers and triggers. I made these grips to fit my hand, wrinkle paint not the prettiest. But I have EOM grips. Not 5 screw but keepers. Probably '60's vintage. I think 5 screw guns are from the '50's..

DF

I have a pair, but with 6" barrel. both are from the very late 60's bought the 38 new as a college graduation present to myself, the K 22 from an Air Force NCO I was working with as new 2nd Lt. He had an interest in a pawn shop and brought it in and showed me, literally a 100% gun, said the original purchaser did not think it exciting enough, but it was exciting enough to make it into my small accumulation. At my next base I managed to get a couple of sets of the large Magna grips.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/14/21
I have a 6" barrel model17 I bought early 80s. I have shot a brick through it in a day many times. When I first got it it was my favorite thing I owned. I recommend one.
Posted By: killerv Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/14/21
its not a kit gun, but yes...you need one.

We have a local shop that is on guns international, he has 17s and 34s in superb condition along with a ton of other smiths and colt revolvers, but you'll pay up for them. If you aren't finding the quality you are looking for, shoot me and I'll give you his info. He will sell them less that what is posted on guns international, just have to haggle some.
Posted By: OldRook Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/14/21

Thanks guys, I am buying a model 17-3 locally here.. It's at a local shop for $699.00.. spoke for a model 63 and paid for it, have to go pick it up locally as well..

Thanks to you all!!!
Posted By: model70man Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/14/21
I have a 5-screw pre-M17, an M34 NIB, an M35, and an M63. The 6" M35 is the one that strikes my fancy.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by RGK
BobMy old 17-3, another member of the ugly grip club

Same grip I have on my 4" M18.
Too ashamed to show it (even if I knew how), as it rides in a ranch truck.
Missing some blue, and gets blown off with the air compressor to start the rare cleaning!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/11/21
I have a 5 screw K22 that will be here tomorrow and a M18 on the way. I seem to be replacing the 22's I sold off in my misspent youth. LOL My next 22 will be a Kit gun. With ammo the way it is it's hard to justify $50+ for a box of 9MM or 45's to go plink with. I'm enjoying the rediscovery of the 22LR. I have a 4 inch 617 but damn that thing is heavy.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/17/21
I’m with ya in replacing previously sold guns - man what an expense that can turn into.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I have a 5 screw K22 that will be here tomorrow and a M18 on the way. I seem to be replacing the 22's I sold off in my misspent youth. LOL My next 22 will be a Kit gun. With ammo the way it is it's hard to justify $50+ for a box of 9MM or 45's to go plink with. I'm enjoying the rediscovery of the 22LR. I have a 4 inch 617 but damn that thing is heavy.

Good for you on tour rediscovery, GSPfan.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/17/21
My brother bought a K22 (17-4) at the Billings gunshow today. He got them down from $1k to $700.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/17/21
The M18 came yesterday. A very nice gun NIB with all the paperwork. I was going to shoot it but now I might not. I'll begin looking for a kit gun next. The 5 screw K22 is excellent as well and a very good shooter.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/18/21
I be waited to grab a K22 because for a long time my M41 5.5”
scratched the same itch. Now I hardly use my M41 and adore the sleek elegance of my K22 6”. I use it for woods walking with my Beagle several times per week every Winter and it takes rabbits & squirrels as they pop up with ease. I was astounded at the accuracy that it’s capable of - even with Stingers.

I’ll never be without it.

Spend what you have to - they will always be going up so get in when you can & never look back.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/18/21
A M41 with a 7 inch (i think) barrel got me started on this 22 kick......but I'm enjoying it. Looking at the M34 Kit guns and have a couple worth considering. Probably pull the trigger next week.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/19/21
The kit gun is on it's way. A 4 screw with a 4 inch barrel and as advertised as 95%+ with the box and paperwork. The atrocities of selling such guns when I was a much younger person have been rectified.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/19/21
I got a good condition 1955 K22 for $250 with holster and scope in 1999.
It has shot great groups and killed ground squirrels.

My brother got a like new in box 1981 K22 for $700 in 2021.

He is asking me what "17-4" means.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/20/21
A couple weeks ago I special ordered one of the new "classic" Model 17 / K-22 "masterpiece" guns and picked it up last week. I've only shot it a little but so far I'm not very impressed. I put about 25 rounds through it to get it sighted in. The SA pull is not smooth, it hops and skips along nicely, jerky and jumpy. Either the crown is off or the barrel is rotated 'cause the rear sight has to be visibly off center. Groups, with CCI mini-mag HPs, are around 1.5 to 2 inches at 25 yards from a rest.

I'm not sure what the plan is yet. It has not gotten off to a start that gives me optimism for eventual happy results.

Tom
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/20/21
The closest thing to a kit gun that I have is my 3”, 317. That’s the little Smith that is all aluminum except for a steel barrel liner and the lockwork. I think the weight is 12 ounces. It’s really a revolver you can carry in a hip pocket and not know it’s there. I’m visiting my son this week. Day before yesterday I walked 5 1/4 miles exploring the back roads near his place with it in the pocket of my jeans and it was truly unnoticeable.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/20/21
I located a M48 22 mag but I believe it's a newer gun. IIRC it's a 48-7. From the pictures it looks almost new. The asking price is $775 but with the ammo shortage and the possibility of it being recent mfg I'm on the fence.
Posted By: Windfall Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/20/21
I sold my K22 m17 in favor of a m34 kit gun just to have a lighter carry around .22. A handgun isn’t a long range piece anyway so that 4” barrel m34 with a larger grip fits my needs better than the K frame did.
Posted By: Bugger Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/20/21
One of my first S&W's was a 34. I lost it. But now I have a 34, which I rally like - it's a square but and 4" barrel 34 without dash.

I also have a 17, I shoot that more then my 34.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/22/21
The Kit gun came today, a nice 4 screw with the box and original cleaning equipment and paperwork. The errors of my misspent youth have been avenged LOL. Now if we can get above freezing I'll go shoot them.
Posted By: EdM Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/23/21
My recent delivery is the pre-M43 Airweight.

Posted By: GSPfan Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/23/21
A nice M41 got me started on this kick. Monday I pick up a M48. When ammo becomes available I'll be broke stocking up esp with the 22 Mag
Posted By: BobBrown Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/24/21
Everybody should own a K22 .
Posted By: longarm Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/24/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Everybody should own a K22 .

That's a damn fact.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/25/21
Better yet two of them . I wouldn't mind finding one in a 4 inch. All I have ever seen are 6 inch hence the combat masterpiece 4 inch.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/28/21
I have 3 of the K22, all 6”. A pre-17 with magna grips, a 17-3 with 3-T, and a 17-6.

When my boys and I get together to shoot in the back yard. I always seem to end up with the pre 17. They are improving to the point as I have to bring my A game to beat them.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/28/21
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 04/28/21
M63 is fun and accurate mine has rubber grips , I need to find a set of SW finger groove target stocks for it. 17-3 shoots nice but not even close to my 18-2 with smooth dark Rosewood SW target stocks. Never find any revolver that will let you perfect your DA shooting any cheaper. They are the cream...

Mb
Posted By: JB in SC Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by T_O_M
A couple weeks ago I special ordered one of the new "classic" Model 17 / K-22 "masterpiece" guns and picked it up last week. I've only shot it a little but so far I'm not very impressed. I put about 25 rounds through it to get it sighted in. The SA pull is not smooth, it hops and skips along nicely, jerky and jumpy. Either the crown is off or the barrel is rotated 'cause the rear sight has to be visibly off center. Groups, with CCI mini-mag HPs, are around 1.5 to 2 inches at 25 yards from a rest.

I'm not sure what the plan is yet. It has not gotten off to a start that gives me optimism for eventual happy results.

Tom

Did you ever get it resolved?

My 17-9 had a tall ratchet on one chamber that I fixed, took a little while (you have to keep it square and go slow). It wouldn't cock on that chamber before I filed the offending ratchet a bit.

Seems like some of the Classics are not quite up to snuff action wise, the MIM parts are close to spec so they don't hand fit them as they once did. They use very heavy mainsprings in the 17 and 48 to eliminate misfires with .22 ammo but I generally leave them alone.
Posted By: LFC Re: S&W K22 Revolver - 07/27/21
I believe the original kit guns were on the smaller "I" frame.

The term "kit gun" came from either advertising or because of it's small compact size designed to be carried in a mans traveling kit.
© 24hourcampfire