Home
Posted By: dukxdog Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
I just picked up a 541-S a few days ago. Waiting for rings to mount a scope.

I was wondering of the guys who have these, what ammo your rifles like best. I have a pretty good assortment of 22LR but was curious what you guys use.

I have been wanting to get one of these rifles for some time now so really looking forward to getting it to the range.

Thanks
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
I shoot federal 711b out of mine
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
Remington subsonic hp has done very well as a hunting round in mine (for head shooting squirrels) along with CCI standard velocity and Green Tag. The old Winchester Dynapoints (not the copper plated version that came out a little later) with the little dimpled nose were great too. High end rounds like Eley EPS and Lapua Master M (discontinued) do really well on targets.

I’ve had mine since ‘78 or ‘79. I think it was about $240 at the time.
Posted By: JGray Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
I have a couple 541's and they shoot well with a variety of ammo. It's been a while since I've shot them much, but recall in generall, Federal is very good: Gold Medal Match, American Eagle, etc...
Posted By: Sheister Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
SK Standard Plus , Eley Contact , Federal Gold Medal Match
Posted By: K22 Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
RWS Subsonic, SK Standard Plus.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
SK Standard Plus, SK Rifle Match and assorted CCI rounds like standard velocity, etc...............
Posted By: passport Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
Wolf MT
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/16/21
My 'smith says that rifle barrels are like people, all of them are different.

I test for sporting rifle accuracy with Eley, Lapua, RWS, and Wolf mid-grade ammo.

RWS Target Rifle has been my starting place for testing .22 rifles for a long time. I've only had a few rifles that wouldn't shoot good groups with it. One of them being a particularly accurate Marlin XT22VR that didn't shoot good groups with this variety of RWS, but will shoot Lapua Biathlon Xtreme better than any other brand and style that I've shot in it.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Rem 541-S Ammo? - 04/17/21
Someone cut my 541S down to 20" prior to me purchasing it. FWIW, mine gets a steady diet of Win Power-Point ammo and is exclusively a "gopher-gun".
© 24hourcampfire