Home
Posted By: scoony Suppressor cleaning - 08/05/21
22 suppressors get dirty fast and are a PITA to clean. Been thinking that a soda blaster would make clean-up a breeze.

This one is available for cheap.

https://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

Anyone with a 22 suppressor use a soda blaster for cleaning them?
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/06/21
how about a ultrasonic parts cleaner? could be used for other things also. I guess a soda blaster could also.

link......... https://www.amazon.com/ultrasonic-parts-cleaner/s?k=ultrasonic+parts+cleaner

charlee
Posted By: keninva Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/06/21
I just purchased a suppressor and the gun smith from who I purchased it from told me not to use a ultrasonic clearer. I don’t remember his reason, but he said it would mess up the finish!
Posted By: Muffin Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/06/21
SilencerCo told me to soak it in mineral spirits...........

their full message to me:

Plug the front and fill the inside with CLR! Do not let it sit on the tube as it will remove the finish. If you want to do something more mild and with less risk, you can fill it with mineral spirits.
Posted By: scoony Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/06/21
I had considered an ultrasonic cleaner but had read where it could ruin the finish. Also thought about wet tumbling with stainless pins but worried that I would end up with a coating of lead in the tumbler.

One thing I found that does seem to help a little is to coat the innards with TC Bore Butter. Helps to keep some of the buildup soft, but not all.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/07/21
A buddy of mine takes his apart and soaks it in carbon remover all night.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/07/21
A little off the topic here, but will the suppressors work with bird shot?
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/07/21
"Also thought about wet tumbling with stainless pins but worried that I would end up with a coating of lead in the tumbler."

Yeah, if that were to happen you would never be able to use it for anything ever again.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

No! The Bird Shot, naturally, small BB'S, wont stay in the directed path, and will cause problems!
It's just not designed for it!

The Beat Way, that I and several others I shoot with has found, without causing damage is good old fashioned, Elbow grease!
It's not that Hard to do, and it doesn't take that long!

Do not use a Soda Blaster, on it, you'll take of more than just the finish!
No Ultrasonic Cleaner Either, like you were told, will reduce the Finish!

General old School Note;
When you Clean, You inspect!!!
Posted By: scoony Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/08/21
Soda Blasting should be safe according to SilencerCo.

https://silencerco.com/blog/cleaning-a-22-cal-suppressor-with-a-soda-blaster/
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/08/21
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

No! The Bird Shot, naturally, small BB'S, wont stay in the directed path, and will cause problems!

The Beat Way, that I and several others I shoot with has found, without causing damage is good old fashioned, Elbow grease!

General old School Note;

Could you describe your cleaning technique?
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

General old School Note;

Could you describe your cleaning technique?

Sure, OSU SIG!

I probably should have gone into that earlier, when I posted it
Now that you Ask!

When Cleaning the Suppressors;
Supplies include; CleanzOil, Rags, Medical gloves,(chemicals aren't good for the skin)
Brownell's Cleaning Q tips, (various sizes)
A cleaning Mat, or Towel to absorb excess, possibly spilled cleaning Solvent!
A well Ventilated Area! Never at the Kitchen Table!
I do it at the Work Bench, Specifically designed for these things, in my Extra Workshop, I built!
Exhaust Fan overhead, and a Fan set up behind me, on low, to move any Fumes from me breathing them!
I'm kinda a Nut for Proper set up! (Been that Way my whole Life! It's become a Family joke! LOL!!!)

1 First I remove them from the Firearm,(Naturally)
2 I Gently Take them apart, Laying the Parts out in the sequence, that they came out in.
3 If you take notice, the Small Discs are all very similar in how they were made!
4 Notice, and inspect for Any damage. Make Repairs Accordingly.
5 I use a few inexpensive small Brushes, from Harbor Freight,Brass, Nylon, and even the Stainless Steel, that come in a 3 piece, inexpensive, kit!
6 There are several Different, cleaners, solvents on the Market, to clean our Guns with, I like CleanzOil, for this!
As I use a little and brush the Carbon off, and wipe the excess with a Rag, and the cleaning part is really Done.
7 When Re installing, and Putting Back together, Don't Muscle F%#^ IT !!!

Pay Attention and Observe, always Learning as you Go!
We get in a Hurry and miss the Finer Points, Many Times, Screwing Up!

The CleanzOil, wiped off Doesn't leave much oily residue, I say this because it seems to Coat the Steel, and Threads, upon, Re installation!
There are several other Cleaning Solvents on the Market, that also work, this is what I like to use, and Do!
The excess wiped off, leaves a minimal Amount, on the Metal, that seams to Coat the Metal, where Solvents, Evaporate, and Yeah, are Drier!
I've tried several, just What I like!

My Father in Law was a Self Accomplished Gun Smith Years ago, and I use to see a lot of Abused stuff, (Firearms),
That were simply Atrocious!

I use my Firearms as Tools, naturally, I just Don't Abuse them!
We were taught as a Ritual, to Always clean our guns when done, and during if needed!

We have several Gun kit,(Tool Boxes), Cleaning kits, put together!
Pretty Easy when you need to travel, and take them with you!

These are My Thought, and How I do it, Along with a Few Others that we shoot With!
We've tried Several Different products, that work, but here's Where We are After a lot of Years of trial and Error!
Cleaning Solvents, Have come A long Way!
I'm not Saying others Don't Work!
My oldest Son, likes the Soda Blast System!(as he's always in a hurry)!
Not Doing it at My Place, and definitely not indoors!
Were old School, and Still Enjoy the Moment!
Different Strokes!
This is Our Proven System!

[quote=scoony]Soda Blasting should be safe according to SilencerCo.

https://silencerco.com/blog/cleaning-a-22-cal-suppressor-with-a-soda-blaster/

I won't knock this method!
As it does work, and my oldest Son is a fan,of this Method, compared to my old school ways!

So here's my question?
How often do you do this?
Every time! Correct!

How Much Material do you remove Every Time?
Maybe Minuscule, but after Several Times, now you've accelerated the Wear process, and increased the Tolerances,
On your Suppressor!
I've Done a fare amount of Blasting in my life, of all kinds, and you will remove Original Material in the process!

The Manufacturer will sell you another, no problem, they make them every day.
Abrasion, Friction, these are the so called Enemy!
Can't be Avoided in Shooting, to a certain Degree!

You Newbies should be careful, and go slow with it!
It'll work, but how clean do you need it, when your Blasting?
That's all I'm trying to say here.
Your not Cleaning a piece of Jewelry!
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/08/21

I've got 250-300 rounds through my suppressor and haven't cleaned it yet.

Was told that 500 round cleanings were the norm.

If it starts going "bang" instead of "pop" I'll clean it, or go to 500 rounds.

Virgil B.
Posted By: scoony Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/08/21
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Virgil B.

If you wait too long, they can become very hard to take apart. I learned this the hard way.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/09/21
Thank you HunterShooter58 for that outstanding write up! I'll print that off and refer to it frequently.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/09/21
Ultra sonic cleaner won't hurt the finish of you use the right cleaning chemicals. No worse than doing it by hand. I just use simple green. Doesn't seem to bother the finish
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/09/21
Easiest way to clean a can is to fire a few .223 in it... if yours is rated for them... mine is.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/09/21
Thunder Beast recommends “the dip” for the stainless baffles. It’s HAZMAT after the fact but easy and cheap.

“The dip” = 50/50 mixture of White Vinegar (Acetic Acid) with Hydrogen Peroxide

Google will tell you about the dangers and how to dispose of it safely.
Thank you HunterShooter58 for that outstanding write up! I'll print that off and refer to it frequently.

Your Welcome!

Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Ultra sonic cleaner won't hurt the finish of you use the right cleaning chemicals. No worse than doing it by hand. I just use simple green. Doesn't seem to bother the finish

I can understand the Friendly Simple Green !
Posted By: tmitch Re: Suppressor cleaning - 08/10/21
My Sparrow had several hundred rounds through it when I pulled it apart. Used an ultrasonic cleaner and Simple Green and brass brushes. Got alot of the carbon off. Went to my blaster with soda medium. Got the rest of the carbon and some of the lead. Still had substantial lead build up in the crevices. Was hesitant to resort to "The Dip", but finally did. 24 hrs in the jar and it looks like new now.
Posted By: BladeRimfire Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/23/21
I have an AAC Element 2. I pull the baffles out of the tube and place them in a Thumblers Tumbler for 8 to 10hrs. Inside the Tumbler I used the little stainless pins & lemon shine. They come out squeaky clean.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/23/21
First off, hopefully you're working with a serviceable can - one that you can take apart - especially for .22s and .17s. As Scoony pointed out, they foul cans quicker than any other caliber/cartridge. I have soaked, sonic, scrubbed enough to know that while all the aforementioned methods work to some degree, a pin tumbler is by far the easiest method.

I have a Dead Air Mask and Sparrow for .22 LR. When they get crudded up, I dissemble and throw them into a Hornady rotary tumbler with pins and solvent - I use KG-1 Carbon Remover as it's aggressive but won't attack metals. Make sure you do not have any aluminum parts or Cerakote coatings as some solvents will attack it.

But when I am finished cleaning, I soak the parts in Dot 5 brake fluid. I forgot where I picked this up, but Dot 5 is silicone based and it helps to prevent carbon fouling. And it works. Also, I use Loctite high temperature anti-seize when reassembling parts. Another lesson learned.
Posted By: goalie Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
First off, hopefully you're working with a serviceable can - one that you can take apart - especially for .22s and .17s. As Scoony pointed out, they foul cans quicker than any other caliber/cartridge. I have soaked, sonic, scrubbed enough to know that while all the aforementioned methods work to some degree, a pin tumbler is by far the easiest method.

I have a Dead Air Mask and Sparrow for .22 LR. When they get crudded up, I dissemble and throw them into a Hornady rotary tumbler with pins and solvent - I use KG-1 Carbon Remover as it's aggressive but won't attack metals. Make sure you do not have any aluminum parts or Cerakote coatings as some solvents will attack it.

But when I am finished cleaning, I soak the parts in Dot 5 brake fluid. I forgot where I picked this up, but Dot 5 is silicone based and it helps to prevent carbon fouling. And it works. Also, I use Loctite high temperature anti-seize when reassembling parts. Another lesson learned.

Gonna try the Dot 5
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Virgil B.

We've all heard of people who never change their Motor Oil neither!
Different Strokes! I won't knock them, it's their Money!

I'm a maintenance freak, so to speak, and try to keep my stuff clean,
and up and Running!

It works for me, as it's my Money!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/23/21
a little silicone dieelectric grease works like dot 5.....
Interesting!
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/23/21
I have a plastic folgers coffee container filled with brake cleaner. I just disassemble my suppressor and let it soak overnight. Next day it cleans up great just using a nylon brush. I use my suppressor for squirrel hunting and shooting coons and armadillos. One cleaning a year works for me. Ymmv.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/23/21
There are lots of brake cleaners out there. Some are much more aggressive than others and can etch aluminum, anodized surfaces, power coated surfaces, and Cerakote coatings. So proceed cautiously if trying it for the first time. But I am sure it works as it will clean most anything including brakes.
Posted By: killerv Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/26/21
A buddy of mine takes his apart and soaks it in carbon remover all night.

Yep, slip 2000 is some good stuff
Posted By: killerv Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I did a black 10/22 receiver in one with just a couple squirts of simple green. removed the finish. But it was fine though, ended up stripping it all the way and doing a clear lacquer on it.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/28/21

"plug the front and fill the suppressor with CLR"

What do you use to plug the front? Maybe a rolled up ear plug?

Sounds like this might work pretty good, filling it and standing it on end over night, then disassemble and wipe down the baffles?

Virgil B.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/28/21
Unless you have experienced suppressor fouling, it is difficult to comprehend how much carbon and lead fouling occurs. Soaking may remove some of the easy stuff, the rest is the tough stuff to remove and it doesn't wipe off.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Suppressor cleaning - 10/28/21
Sounds like to much sugar for a nickel. Believe I’ll stick with hearing protection. Hasbeen
© 24hourcampfire