Home
Posted By: HE112 Used Ruger 10/22 magazines? - 08/05/21
I plan to add more 10 rd or higher capacity magazines to my new Ruger 10/22 and am thinking of going used to save money. I remember reading years ago that you have to put them back together in a certain way if you take them apart for servicing, which I have never done.

My local gun shop carries used pistol magazines, thinking of asking if they have any 10/22 ones on hand. Is there a way to screw up these taking them apart if your a bubba or should I just buy new? .
Posted By: drover Re: Used Ruger 10/22 magazines? - 08/05/21
Google is your frlend.
Spring tension is critical for proper feeding - over tension and under tension both can cause issues. Google up the factory directions for cleaning and reassemble per the directions. Not much in one to screw it up unless it is missing a part.

If you are purchasing higher capacity stay with the Ruger brand, some of the aftermarket ones do not feed well.

drover
I'd just buy new, you're going to want extras anyway, you might as well get the new ones.
Posted By: pullit Re: Used Ruger 10/22 magazines? - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I'd just buy new, you're going to want extras anyway, you might as well get the new ones.

^^^this^^^^
I paid 15 for a used 10/22 mag.
But it was a slotted screw, not Allen.
smile

You'll end up costing yourself more in frustration and time than you'll save by buying used.

Yeah, I'd buy new as well. Start looking for the 3 packs...
If you're bound and determined to get used mags, check the tables at your local gun show.
Since you had to ask....
If you have the skills, you can save money with used. I strip and clean my mags all the time, it takes just a little care. But you need to do it right in terms of the spring tension.
I'd bet lots of "retired" magazines just need a good soak and scrub. Oh -- DON'T BUY ANY PLASTIC-LIPPED items. Not hot lips, nothing, just METAL. And preferably, RUGER metal.
It's not too difficult to take them apart and reassemble them. There are Youtube videos that show you how. Tandemkross sells an inexpensive tool that makes it easier to do the reassembly.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/ruger-1022-22lr-10rd-syn-mag-3-pack-factory.html

I have tested these in 10/22 as well as the American. Functioned perfectly. Cheapest I've found for factory Ruger 10 round magazines.
© 24hourcampfire