Home
Posted By: jimy Mossberg 146 B is worth ? - 09/03/21
Any one have one, shot one or sell one ?

An older neighbor wants to sell one, it looks as if it were new, the little green safely button is missing but thats the only flaw, the peep sights. removeable sling brackets are in tacket it looks as if its never been fired, he wants a 100 bucks for it, I can't see how I can go wrong, I certainly don't need another 22 but ?
Posted By: drover Re: Mossberg 146 B is worth ? - 09/03/21
You should not even be asking the question - get to your neighbors with a $100 and bring that rifle home now.

They are a little homely looking but they are generally very good shooting rifles. The safety button is available from Haviland sales -https://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm

drover
Posted By: jimy Re: Mossberg 146 B is worth ? - 09/03/21
Thank you.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Mossberg 146 B is worth ? - 09/03/21
In that condition some may pay as high as $400…..it’s hard to find a complete <or almost complete) specimen in the condition you describe. I have watched a couple of pristine/complete 42M sell recently for $400+.

PennDog
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Mossberg 146 B is worth ? - 09/04/21
It’s a great deal….. I get those once in a while from someone who may not always know the value. I usually give them more than they were asking to be fair
Originally Posted by drover
You should not even be asking the question - get to your neighbors with a $100 and bring that rifle home now.

They are a little homely looking but they are generally very good shooting rifles. The safety button is available from Haviland sales -https://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm

drover

drover is exactly right. That T handle bolt is funky looking. I'd buy it just because it is too good of a deal to pass up. You'll never get burned at that price. It will also be fun to shoot and I'll bet, damn accurate...
Posted By: Muffin Re: Mossberg 146 B is worth ? - 09/04/21
The peep sight is worth half that....................

I have had several of the old Mossbergs, just good, well made, honest 22s....

Made back when guns were made of steel, stocks of wood, and men were men.......
One of my all-time favorites, and very underrated. Also, ahead of it's time, since it was one of the first series of rimfires to be grooved for mounting a scope. Did you know it holds 20 Long Rifle rounds, and THIRTY shorts? Also, it has a crude, rudimentary form of trigger adjustment, not something you saw much in the 50's. I've never seen one that wasn't decent accurate, try it with some good standard velocity target ammo. I think the best part, however, is the balance-- continually amazed at how they got a tubular mag bolt action with such a long barrel to just hang out there like that, but they did, and it is excellent. Outstanding squirrel rifle. $100 is a steal, grab it and run like hell...
Buy it. I have the one my Dad used when he was on the HS rifle team in the late30s. The range was in the school basement.
© 24hourcampfire