Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/22/21
Well, I guess I don't really NEED a 22 mag revolver but would like to have one. What's out there and what do you guys recommend? SA or DA.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/22/21
My favorite is a S&W 48. Carried one a bunch of miles in a Jeep. Loaded 3 snake shot and 3 hp’s. Liked you can get a handgun into action quickly when needed. Coyotes and snakes found that out to. Mine has the 8 3/8 barrel.
Hasbeen
Posted By: Sheister Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/22/21
Hard to beat the S&W 48 or 648.....
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/22/21
I'll second the S&W 48 as my .22 Magnum revolver of choice, mine has a 4" barrel, but I've owned both 4" and 6" versions.

That said, I carry a Rossi 515 more often because it is stainless and until recently wasn't worth much, so if I dropped it or dropped something on it, it wasn't a concern.

I carry mine about like HB does, 3 rounds of CCI snake shot and 3 soft point rounds, usually Fiocchi 'cause I bought a couple thousand rounds of it back when it was seling for less than $2 per box.

I wish that S&W had made a stainless 48 that didn't have an ejector rod shroud, an exact copy of the 17, 18, or 48.
Posted By: jstert Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/22/21
ruger single six single action revolver with 22wmr and 22lr cylinders. suggest the 5.5” barrel to give 22wmr more room, but still handy. utterly reliable, built like a brick outhouse. one of a few “everyone needs one, end of civilization” handguns, imho.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/22/21
If I were to get another dedicated .22 mag a Ruger LCRx with the 3" barrel would get the nod.

This is my first .22 mag that's ridden in my pocket during snake season the past 25 years or so. Other than my .327 Fed pistols this has to be the loudest.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Bought my wife a single-six convertible with a 6 1/2" barrel 30 plus years ago and mine is the same length Old Model .22 Mag only that's the same age as me. My father-in-law snuffed a wolf (domesticated) that a dumbass women thought would be sporting to let them-she had two, chase cows and calves around the family summer range ranch. It was the only gun he had with him and he tried to nail him with the F-150 but the mag out the window did the trick.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/24/21
I second the nomination for the Ruger single six, 5.5 stainless. It is multi use with 22 lr and 22 mag cylinders. Lots of bang for your buck! Mine is carried with the 22 mag cylinder most of the time. that combo is a nice power upgrade with the CCI maxi mag, 40gr Hp, at 1450fps.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/24/21
If you happen to stumble on to an old Dan Wesson do yourself a favor and buy it.
You can thank me later.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Well, I guess I don't really NEED a 22 mag revolver but would like to have one. What's out there and what do you guys recommend? SA or DA.

As far as SA or DA, I think that's pretty much up to you, and what you want to do with it!
If your not sure, remember you can always, use the DA like it's a SA, just by pulling the hammer back with your thumb!
I never had a Dan Wesson, but I've heard and read a lot of good about them!
I have several of the Ruger's, Colt's, and even USFA's, that I like!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/24/21
And that is the rub; there are too many to choose from and all are good for their intended purpose. I don't know that I could walk away from a 5 ½" Super Single Six if I found one.
No Argument from me here!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/25/21
Still REALLY tough to be a Ruger Single Six.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/25/21
Originally Posted by ingwe
Still REALLY tough to be a Ruger Single Six.

It is if you like SAs, not so much if you don't.

I like Bisley style SAs, plow handles not so much.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/25/21
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
And that is the rub; there are too many to choose from and all are good for their intended purpose. I don't know that I could walk away from a 5 ½" Super Single Six if I found one.

Super ? I've got "new model single-six " right here in front of me (model 00626 catalog KNR -6 ) I'd call it a 6.5" barrel stainless , is there a "super " what's the difference?
Posted By: Rolltide Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/26/21
I hate the looks, but for a carry-around-the-farm revolver, the Ruger LCR's seem hard to beat.

I can't find anything wrong with a 48 or 648 though, other than the weight if you're carrying it much.

The Single-Six will save some weight over the S&W, but not a lot...

It's great to have so many to choose from!
Posted By: killerv Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/26/21
I've got a single six

But those new Ruger lcrx 3in I've been looking at.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/26/21
PM coming.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/26/21
I'd go with the Single Six, barrel length chosen to match carry / use.

I had a S&W 648 for a while and it was decidedly under impressive. Horribly inaccurate with all ammo I was able to round up. Well .. I bought it used and I found out why it was for sale used. Oops.

My current .22 mag is a Ruger Single Six Hunter. It isn't too good with the light weight hyper velocity stuff but it shoots extremely well with the Federal 50 grain JHP load .. like under half inch at 25 yards. It's not horrible with the WW 40 grain JHP stuff either, but don't feed it the CCI +V if you want to be able to hit the side of a barn .. from inside.

Tom
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/28/21
OSU Sig: I love my Smith & Wesson Model 48's - I can not imagine a better 22 Magnum revolver for reliability, accuracy, cool factor and for an investment!
Go with the Smith & Wesson Model 48!
I have examples in 8 3/8" and 4" versions and have long been searching for a 6" Smith & Wesson Model 48 - people that own these Smith & Wesson Model 48's LOVE them and seldom let them go.
Of course I can NOT recommend the current production Smith & Wesson Model 48's, with the hillary lock, as an investment - they may shoot well but I won't even consider buying one!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/28/21
I’ve had a Single Six, convertible 6 1/2” since I bought it from my physics teacher in ‘68 for $69. It’s just a 22 right? Yeah, but with the magnum cylinder, never forget your ear protection. If you do, you’ll only do it once. 😊
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I’ve had a Single Six, convertible 6 1/2” since I bought it from my physics teacher in ‘68 for $69. It’s just a 22 right? Yeah, but with the magnum cylinder, never forget your ear protection. If you do, you’ll only do it once. 😊

This is absolutely right. 22 Mag wheel gun is almost as bad as the 30 Carbine.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by Sheister
Hard to beat the S&W 48 or 648.....

I agree. I've owned both, but don't currently. I do have several Ruger Single Six 22WMR's though. Not that I prefer the Ruger over the S&W, but that I was just in the right place to pick four up within the last few months.
If you want to pocket carry, check out the S&W PD351. Small, but very comfortable in my big fat hands.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 11/14/21
I have a High Standard 9 shot revolver that I have killed a bunch of cats and one rattlesnake. It's homely and has a heavy double action but it's been a good companion since 1976. It's the Sentinel Mk IV.

kwg
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 11/15/21
The single sixes are great. I prefer the 22 lr cylinder though. The 22 wmr actually doesn't get much more velocity from the short barrel but the noise and muzzle flash is way more than the 22 lr.

Chrono both and see what you get. Or you can look at the numbers from Ballistics By The Inch:

BBTI
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 11/17/21
My 648 no dash is sure a great way to consume 22 WMR ammo.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 11/18/21

I have an original Bearcat convertible .....will be for sale when I find the time to do so.
Posted By: Lonerider Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 11/18/21
PMR 30...Yea the KELTEC!!!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 11/19/21
Originally Posted by Lonerider
I'd love to try that one out some time...
Originally Posted by cisco1

I have an original Bearcat convertible .....will be for sale when I find the time to do so.

Ruger recalled all those and quickly discontinued the production of them. Probably worth big bucks nowadays to Ruger Collectors.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Lonerider
I'd love to try that one out some time...

Mine worked great. And was accurate too.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Need a 22 mag revolver - 11/21/21
I’m not sure BBTI agrees with you.
© 24hourcampfire