Home
Posted By: davet Suppressed pistol questions - 11/24/21
Between a Buckmark and a Ruger mk IV, does one stand out as a better platform for a can than the other?

I'm looking at the Buckmark Field Target 4.4" or a Ruger mkIV 22/45 LT 4.4" right now trying to decide which to purchase.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: TWR Re: Suppressed pistol questions - 11/24/21
I’ve had both and much prefer the Ruger.

The Buckmark started getting light strikes and a dead trigger once in awhile. High round count of course but it was also finicky on ammo.
I think the Ruger has a better following and more aftermarket options, but I prefer the Buckmark. I am not interested in spending a small fortune on extras and upgrades, and out-of-the box, I like the Browning trigger better than the Ruger.

I bought a Buckmark Field/Target Micro a few years ago. Cabela's had them for $399. It works great with a suppressor.
They are both good choices. It comes down to how much you want to spend. The Ruger is the better pistol, but really needs a better trigger, so you will have a lot more in it.
I wanted a budget suppressed pistol so I went with the Buckmark. Good accuracy with a good trigger. Some failures to cycle with standard velocity ammo though.
No experience with the Buckmark.

We've got two Ruger Mark 4 22/45's. Really like them, but the factory trigger on both were horrible, heard this from other owners too. Put a VQ trigger kit in both, which were about $115 each. Now the triggers are excellent. So figure in the cost of a VQ trigger kit in your purchase if you go with the Ruger.

Jerry
Posted By: djb Re: Suppressed pistol questions - 11/26/21
I have both and prefer the Buckmark.
I've shot both and prefer the Ruger Mk II and IV series over anything else. I currently have two with Volquartsen kits and two still sporting factory triggers. I've been shooting suppressed for over a decade and wouldn't trade any one of them for a Browning Buckmark. They're all accurate and run like a raped ape with little care......
Heck, Volquartson used to build Buckmarks right along side of their Rugers..... So VQ must not have thought the Brownings weren't so bad at that time.
I have both a suppressed Buckmark and a Mark IV Tactical. Out of the box the Buckmark has a far superior trigger, however it is a PAIN to clean and cleaning is a must if you're shooting suppressed. So the nod goes to the Ruger for no other reason than the ease of disassembly and cleaning. But as with all Ruger's I've ever owned, their triggers have a lot to be desired so budget some much needed trigger work.
© 24hourcampfire