Home
I had a Henry small game rifle in 22 mag, was a great shooting gun but was heavy. I'm looking for a 22 magnum bolt gun. Savage, Ruger, old marlin, I don't care which or maybe a cz. What do you have and did it shoot out of the box?

Thanks for your replys.
billy I had a Marlin bolt with a tube.. It was the most accurate .22 mag. I ever had... traded it for a Marlin lever that was terrible.. Right now I have a ww94 and a light barreled cz.. Both are very accurate..
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
billy I had a Marlin bolt with a tube.. It was the most accurate .22 mag. I ever had... traded it for a Marlin lever that was terrible.. Right now I have a ww94 and a light barreled cz.. Both are very accurate..

I have a Marlin bolt with a tube also, crazy accurate!
i have a very accurate 22 magnum in a Remington 40x single shot ,that i can actually load with my own handloaded ammo for my 22 mag. i have seating die, new cases that are primed ,powder and even some special 22 mag bullets.
Have a Ruger American compact-that is very accurate
I’ve got a couple of 22 Hornets that I have hand loads at 2000 fps that go well less than an inch. Does that count? 😊
I bought a Savage 34M when I was 13 with my trapping money. I knew it shot well but it wasn't until some years later when I got serious about rifle accuracy that I put to a test. With the good old Winchester 40 grain HP or FMJ it would hold right at an inch at 100 yards. It didn't like the Federal 50 grain that came along several years later. It would shoot the CCI 40 grain in 1.5 inches at 100 yards. That little rifle killed a literal ton or two of woodchucks back in the late 70s. My apologies to the guys in Northern NY for the absence of chucks now. All my fault. As a kid I saw them as a pest to eradicate, as did all the farmers in the area. So if you need to blame someone for the low populations of chucks in northern NY, I'll shoulder that blame.
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I had a Henry small game rifle in 22 mag, was a great shooting gun but was heavy. I'm looking for a 22 magnum bolt gun. Savage, Ruger, old marlin, I don't care which or maybe a cz. What do you have and did it shoot out of the box?

Thanks for your replys.

You still alive ??? Glad to see you posting again Buddy !

The most accurate 22 mag I’ve ever owned is my Marlin Tube Fed Bolt gun. Can’t remember the model. Maybe a 882 ? Or something like that. Mines an old walnut stocked version.
I have a 77/22 Mag that is very accurate h. Shoots best with regular old 40 grain Winchester grey box ammo. No bolt shims needed but the sear and spring from Volquartsen sure helped. I think as a whole this rifle is not known to be super accurate so I feel fortunate that I got a good one.
I've got a CZ 455 that has a 457 barrel plugged into it (when I decided to switch it to .22 Mag, the 455 barrels were already discontinued). It shoots really well with A-22 CCI 35gr, ammo, and Hornady 30VMaxes. It's not bad with 40gr. CCIs, but it favors the lighter bullets. It'll shoot better than I ever expected (I've not had great luck with the WMR before this). I like this rifle a lot, but to be frank, I think the old tube-fed Marlins are every bit as good, and a lot cheaper to buy. I love my CZs, but fair is fair.
CZ 455, super Accurate.
Marlin,,,,, super accurate.
I have a Browning A Bolt 22 Magnum rifle that is very accurate. If you can find one of those, I'll bet it would make you happy.
OF Mossberg and sons 640KD Chuckster. It'll drive nails.
Anschutz 1720 very accurate
I have a Winchester 9422M lever action that will shoot CCI TNT 36grain one inch at 100 yards. Unfortunately, you will be looking at the used market to get one.

Thanks for your replys.

single shot

Thanks for your replys.

single shot
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

Great rifles:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This one shoots 3/8" 5 shot groups at 50 yards, with the ammo it likes..

Ditto, seems from what I own and shoot ANY Mossberg rim fire old enough to not have a serial number will just sit and drive tacks all day long with about any ammo you can fit in the hole.
I have 3....a scoped Winchester 9422M. An older Marlin bolt action that I've done some work on, don't recal the model number. And a heavy barreled Ruger 77-22 mag, stainless, laminated stock.
I have some others but these three excel.
Posted By: EdM Re: Who has a accurate .22 magnum? - 11/27/21
My BRNO shoots pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Chlinstructor Yeah I'm still kicking. It's been a while. The forum got a bit toxic there for a while so I didn't come on. Dickish behavior is something I don't understand or like soooo. Anyways good to hear from you. Hope things have been peachy.
Posted By: K22 Re: Who has a accurate .22 magnum? - 11/27/21
My Ruger American does real well with Hornady Vmax 30gr. but not much else. The Sako Quad loves Win. Super X 40gr. hp and does an honest 3/4" groups at 100yds. I like the Win. 40's better than the Hornady 30's for Predators like Coyotes or Red Fox.
my H&K 300 always works the best for me
Contender bbl, Ingram 14". Does OK for me.
The tube fed Marlin bolt is a fine rifle. May have been a model 25, but can't remember.
I have had a Marlin 883S for many years. Stainless with a laminated stock, tube feed mag. With most brands of ammo that I've tried, it is a solid 1 MOA rifle from the bench. I even taught my ex-wife to shoot Egg's at 100 yards with that rifle! For a one gun "Survival" situation.....you'd be hard put to come up with something better.....can never lose the magazine, stainless, and laminated stock, you can carry several hundreds of rounds of ammunition without being too heavy, and enough power to dispatch most critters you'll find.

They also made a blue steel model that is just as accurate, and underappreciated except for people that have actually fired them, that would be the Model 25M. Comes with detachable magazine. If you can find either of those models, odds are they are shooters!

Good Luck!

Frog-----OUT!
Originally Posted by frogman43
I have had a Marlin 883S for many years. Stainless with a laminated stock, tube feed mag. With most brands of ammo that I've tried, it is a solid 1 MOA rifle from the bench. I even taught my ex-wife to shoot Egg's at 100 yards with that rifle! For a one gun "Survival" situation.....you'd be hard put to come up with something better.....can never lose the magazine, stainless, and laminated stock, you can carry several hundreds of rounds of ammunition without being too heavy, and enough power to dispatch most critters you'll find.

They also made a blue steel model that is just as accurate, and underappreciated except for people that have actually fired them, that would be the Model 25M. Comes with detachable magazine. If you can find either of those models, odds are they are shooters!

Good Luck!

Frog-----OUT!

Most Marlins are great shooters. I have the exact gun as yours. Dont shoot it much, but I know it will shoot fine when I do.
Posted By: LFC Re: Who has a accurate .22 magnum? - 11/30/21
Years back I got on a .22 magnum kick.

I'll list them in order of 100 yard accuracy.

Anshultz...5 shots into a dime.

Browning A bolt....5 shots into a quarter sometimes a little better.

Ruger 77.....little over a quarter sometimes 1&1/2".

In the end they were just too loud to squirrel hunt with and most shots I took were 50 yards or less....so I went back to my .22 rim fires. They will kill the heck out of a Coyote out to 125 yards or a tad further.

Didn't know .22 Mags were not accurate until I read it here.
Originally Posted by cisco1

I think a lot of people think this. I credit the Rimfire 17’s for the accuracy improvement in the 22 mag.
Bullet improvement is the big cause. The rifles were made the same as any other. Poor quality ammo caused the poor accuracy.
I have three
Kleinguenther K13
Kleinguenther k22 mag
Anschutz 1515/16
The Kleinguenther rifles do not disappoint. Everyone expects good accuracy from a Anschutz. Hasbeen
PS. It takes a decent trigger to get above average accuracy. Does not matter the caliber. Be sure what you are buying has one or it can be improved. Hasbeen
There is a Marlin in the classifieds all scoped up for the past few days. Nice gun if interested.

Same here!
The Savages and Marlin 25M are still around. You can re spring the trigger and come up with a wonderful shooting rifle, start off with the jacketed Winchester 40g HP.
My Marlin 883 shoots very well.

I’ve had several that were 2” rifles, but this one is pretty easily MOA with the ammo I’ve tried.
CZ 452 ZKM. Shoots lights-out.
I also have a Marlin 883 stainless with laminated stock. Its a very good shooter.
Originally Posted by TheGunnut
I also have a Marlin 883 stainless with laminated stock. Its a very good shooter.

Hmmmm seems to be a pattern here! LOL
Posted By: LFC Re: Who has a accurate .22 magnum? - 12/01/21
Originally Posted by cisco1

People have different expectations of accuracy. To one fellow accurate might mean 25 yards to another 50 yds.....accurate to me with .22 magnum means dime sized 5 shot 100 yard accuracy.

One guy mentioned triggers....over the years I've shot some really small groups with some pretty chitty triggers.

A good trigger is nice but not a requirement for accuracy on a hunting gun.
My buddy just ordered a Vudoo

That’s what I would buy
My little 10/22 magnum is pretty dang accurate, never shot groups but it's killed a ton of cottontails with head shots. Aim for the eye and they are dead from 100 yards and in.
Seal billy: I have had a LOT of poor luck, accuracy wise, with many different brands and models of 22 Magnums (including Anschutz!) over the last nearly 6 decades - in fact I about gave up on them until two years ago when I decided to try a Browning T-Bolt Varmint model with heavy blued barrel and a beautiful stock.
It shoots very well indeed with the new jacketed and polymer tipped ammunitions available today.
I don't know if I just got lucky with this Browning T-Bolt or if todays munitions are better than they used to be - or both?
My second most "accurate" 22 Magnum Rifle is a bolt action sporter weight barreled Marlin Model 883 (tubular feeding system) - I bought this for my youngest VarmintSon to Hunt small game and Ground Squirrels with and he does well with it.
IIRC I only shot it once at the range and the 100 yard groups (5 shots) were just at 2.00".
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Hmmmm another Marlin 883.....LOL
Odd man out I guess I have the stainless steel 882 with box magazine and syn stock. I put a old Weaver K4 on it with superfine crosshairs and dot. I shot a lot of groups with it trying to find the right ammo std fmj and hp loads at 40 grains in WW, CCI, & FED were soso for accuracy.Tried some of those copper plated WW Dynapoints and they leaded the barrel no sh*t. KRoil and patches deleaded it but damn. A few months later I tried the 30 gr Vmax and now won't use anything else in it at 50 yards you could cover 5 shots with a nickle pretty regular.
.mb

My Win 94 22RFM is plenty accurate
Some have compared the .22Mag. to the .17HMR.............

Not really fair as the .17 generally makes smaller holes ,,,,unless it is key holing.
My Marlin 782 and Marlin 57M are both 1/2" (or better) at 50 yards with old-fashioned Winchester 40gr JHP's. I have a bunch of the Hornady 30gr tipped ammo. Will have to try it in both rifles at 100 yards. Every 22 MAG I've ever witnessed off the bench has shot very well with the Winchester load. I also have a Winchester 9422M Tribute but haven't fired it yet.
Originally Posted by TwoCup
My Marlin 782 and Marlin 57M are both 1/2" (or better) at 50 yards with old-fashioned Winchester 40gr JHP's. I have a bunch of the Hornady 30gr tipped ammo. Will have to try it in both rifles at 100 yards. Every 22 MAG I've ever witnessed off the bench has shot very well with the Winchester load. I also have a Winchester 9422M Tribute but haven't fired it yet.

I think I got a bad batch of those Winchesters....actually they shoot ok in my 96-22 mag and my Single six, but STINK in my 57M. CCI and Fiocchi 40 gr shoot around 1/2" in the 57M.
I’ve owned these in 22 mag, Ruger 77/22, Browning A bolt, Volquartsen, Cooper 57, and Anschutz. The Ruger was terrible accuracy wise. The others were inconsistent, and none were what I’d call accurate, 1” or better at 100 yards. I gave up on the 22 mag about 10 years ago.
i have a savage 93 synthetic stock, fluted barrel that loves Hornady 30 gr V-max. i have killed a pile of G-hogs with that gun, My window of engagement with that death stich is 100 yards. I have killed one G-hog at 153 yards. I have shot some groups with it that are under 100 inch at 100 yards. The 30gr bullet is fickle in the wind.
Another Ruger American here. Blued, cheap true-glow 4x scope.

Likes winchester, CCI fodder.... 3/4 ~ 1 troops @100 yrds.

40 grain CCI game points are the sweet spot. Feral cats, skunks, ground squirrels, grouse, wabbits, turkeys the list is long and still growing.

Had a marlin I think 882? stainless bolt gun, that one was a shooter. Tackled couple coyotes with that one. Worked just fine with CCI maxi-mag hp ammo more often then not.
I have a Savage 93F synthetic, accutrigger model that shoots great. 1/2 to 2/3 inch at 50 yards with CCI TNT green 30grn bullets. It is a super light little rig that is fun to lay down boot tracks with looking for jack rabbits. I have a cheap little Vortex crossfire 2-7 power on it. I don't think I have put it on paper at 100 yet but I would be willing to bet it shoots 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch at 100 yards. I dumped jack rabbits out to 140 yards with it and I can tell you it is minute of jack rabbit out to 150.
I had a Ruger 22/77 22 mag, stainless with a laminated stock. A Timney sear took the trigger down from 6 lb to 2.5 and it shot really well with Remington 33 gr green tips and not much of anything else. I don't think that ammo is still being made. Nice enough rifle from the bench, but quite heavy to tote in the field. Sold it years ago.

My current 22 mag is a Marlin 57M. It's not as accurate as the Ruger was with the one load it liked, but the Marlin seems to shoot just about an load I can find pretty well and is a joy to tromp around and hunt with.
I have several 22mag rifles. The two most accurate are a volquartsen semi auto and a marlin bolt action with the tube. Both are more accurate than the Ruger 77/22 that I sold…, and both are more accurate than number of other brand semi auto and bolt guns laying around.
My most accurate .22 magnum is my old Anschutz 141M. MOA with good ammo (and it's not all good, lot to lot.) Also have a Sako Quad that does okay. I've a Marlin bolt gun (don't know the model number) that I won at a DU thing, slapped a Simmons scope on, sighted in a it now resides at the barn. It shoots okay, but I've never done any real accuracy testing with it. One of the most accurate .22 magnums I've seen is a Mossberg bolt action from the early '70's that a friend has. I don't know the model number, but it shoots right along with my Anschutz.
Originally Posted by cra1948
My most accurate .22 magnum is my old Anschutz 141M. MOA with good ammo (and it's not all good, lot to lot.) Also have a Sako Quad that does okay. I've a Marlin bolt gun (don't know the model number) that I won at a DU thing, slapped a Simmons scope on, sighted in a it now resides at the barn. It shoots okay, but I've never done any real accuracy testing with it. One of the most accurate .22 magnums I've seen is a Mossberg bolt action from the early '70's that a friend has. I don't know the model number, but it shoots right along with my Anschutz.

Almost certainly a "Chuckster" Model 640. Mossbergs are sometimes a bit odd, but boy, do they shoot!
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by cra1948

Almost certainly a "Chuckster" Model 640. Mossbergs are sometimes a bit odd, but boy, do they shoot!

Yes sir..
Anschütz Model 1516 but not the Mannlicher style.
Had an Anschutz 54 sporter with the Bavarian stock that was damn accurate as well as a Cooper 57M. A-bolt I have now is plenty accurate for it’s intended use, but no match gun. Normally under an inch at 75 yds with the Hornady ammo with 32gr vmax.

Had a 77/22 target that was mediocre at best.

Also had a S&W 6” stainless that Makes my chest hurt every time I recall selling it.
Hey Fellas, I found this thread and found it very interesting because I actually own 12 rimfire bolt actions in 22 mag. Nothing exotic, but I guess you could refer to them as every day type guns.
I own many of the same guns listed here like the CZ455 Varmint, CZ512 HB, TC Encore ProHunter with a custom 28” 22 mag barrel on it, and 5 of the same MARLIN 882SSV 22 mag . w/24” SS barrels on them. I changed the plastic Tupperware stocks off them and found some 17VS used laminate stocks that I replaced them with.
I’m not really an accuracy shooter on paper, however enjoy shooting woodchucks here in Pa. all summer long.
Long story short, I found that these HB marlins were super accurate and had a harder punch out to 120 yards. My secret pill was using the CCI TNT 🧨 brand (circa pre-2005). They have the special blend powder, hornady hollow point 30gr. Stock no. C00063. The box had a black sticker on it with a fire cracker on it. This would be old stock, NOT the new stuff sold today. These rounds have great punch at further distances and truly flat shooting. This past summer I’m up 59 woodchucks, some half pints, and a lot of full size chucks. I have never had one run on me after using these TNT 🧨. Absolutely deadly!
If you can find them, I have shot 5 round clover leafs off a sand bag at 75 yards with these. Does wonders on rodents and varmints!

Like I said, I found this thread very interesting!

Happy Holidays! Kimbo
© 24hourcampfire