Home
I have a new Heritage Arms single action revolver with the 6.5 " barrel and am wondering if there would be an issue in long term use with the alloy frame if I occasionally used .22 magnum cartridges?

I had a Ruger single six in stainless steel and did run .22 magnums here and there with the correct cylinder, but the Ruger's are built like a tank and the cost of the .22 magnum kept it limited in use. The Ruger was stolen in a recent burglary and I do have the option of ordering a magnum cylinder for my new Heritage Arms gun. Any info or opinions on using the hotter cartridge in this gun?
Aren’t they like less than $250? I would try it you won’t be out big money if it pukes.
Originally Posted by HE112
I have a new Heritage Arms single action revolver with the 6.5 " barrel and am wondering if there would be an issue in long term use with the alloy frame if I occasionally used .22 magnum cartridges?

I had a Ruger single six in stainless steel and did run .22 magnums here and there with the correct cylinder, but the Ruger's are built like a tank and the cost of the .22 magnum kept it limited in use. The Ruger was stolen in a recent burglary and I do have the option of ordering a magnum cylinder for my new Heritage Arms gun. Any info or opinions on using the hotter cartridge in this gun?

They are a $129 revolver and IIRC the magnum cylinder is only $19.95 so it isn't like you have a collectible or high dollar firearm, buy the magnum cylinder and shoot it. Those alloy frames have been in use for a long time and I doubt that there will ever be any issues with it.

drover
i regularly shoot 22wmr out of a ruger single six, perfectly fine experience.
i did shoot 22wmr out of a heritage, not that great. the alloy barrel quickly heats up. the screws can shake loose. you feel more through the alloy frame.

think of running two cars around on a racetrack. the rss is a ford mustang shelby gt. the hrr is a ford focus st. the former was built to do the job. the latter is a cheap wannabe.
I am fairly certain that the barrel is not an alloy, only the frame.

drover
I've had my Heritage birdshead for 15+ years and all I shoot in it are magnums. Holds up well. Maybe I got a fluke, but hear about people hitting cans at 20 ft. but mine shoots well enough to hit cans at 25 yds
The Heritage I had did not have an alloy barrel.

Mine shot great and had a great trigger, despite being an otherwise obviously cheap handgun.

22LR=less money per shot, less noise per shot, and a 22 caliber hole where it was pointed.
22MAG=more money per shot, more noise per shot, and a 22 caliber hole where it was pointed.
© 24hourcampfire