Home
Posted By: savage2400 22 mag sub sonic - 05/12/22
anyone know of a source for the winchester sub sonic 22 mag?All the places I've looked are out of stock.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/12/22
If you own a 22LR I don’t see why you would need a subsonic 22 mag. If you don’t own one, carry on with your search.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/12/22
Nobody asked, but Winchester 22 Mag subsonics gave me 770 fps out of a Colt New Frontier Buntline last year. Browning and Armscorp were 1435 and 1430.
Posted By: savage2400 Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/12/22
I had that same opinion when I first saw the 22 mag sub sonic at the LGS,and yes I do have a 22lr that I shoot suppressed.However, I got a 2nd 22lr ( beretta) and I didn't want to thread the barrel so I built an adapter for my suppressor,really worked nice.Which led me to my H&K300--no way I was threading that barrel---but it would work with another adapter and Voila--here I am wanting to try 22 mag sub sonic
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/12/22
Have fun regardless. I plink with subs of several calibers. They all seem to work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: savage2400 Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/12/22
Dan How's life on the withlachochee?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/13/22
It’s wet if your boat leaks. Or if you roof leaks. It rained today.

Few ‘skeeters here and there, neighbors are cranky sometimes.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/14/22
'Nother option for subsonic 22 Mags is cut the rim off a 22 mag case, and insert a 22LR subsonic round.

Makes an inexpensive "adapter"

Virgil B.
Posted By: Windfall Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/14/22
Until I read the OP's post, I never realized that they made such a thing. I suppose it might be useful like on a trap line for a finishing shot. I did shoot a .22 LR out of my .22 Magnum M24 barrel once and it went bang, though I'm sure never recommended.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/14/22
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
'Nother option for subsonic 22 Mags is cut the rim off a 22 mag case, and insert a 22LR subsonic round.

Virgil B.

You have done this? A .22 LR loaded cartridge will fit inside a .22 magnum case? Picture?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/14/22
Originally Posted by Windfall
Until I read the OP's post, I never realized that they made such a thing. I suppose it might be useful like on a trap line for a finishing shot. I did shoot a .22 LR out of my .22 Magnum M24 barrel once and it went bang, though I'm sure never recommended.

The reverse of when I saw
"Subsonic" 230gr 45acp.

Sold at higher prices than "normal" 230gr stuff.

WTF?
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/15/22
MOGC;

My late brother told me about doing this with a Ruger Single Six, that only had a 22 magnum cylinder.

He cut the rims off of 6, 22 magnum cases, inserted them in the cylinder and fired 22LR ammo in his gun.

Sorry, no pictures.

Virgil B.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/15/22
Huh... I bet that was a tight fit to get a Long Rifle Bullet slid up through the Magnum case. A lot of aggravation too.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Virgil B.

You have done this? A .22 LR loaded cartridge will fit inside a .22 magnum case? Picture?

Ace Dube sells them in lots of 2. They can be found under adapters on the MCA site, mcaceak.com. They allow you to center a .22 S/L/LR round in a .22 MAG chamber. I've used them successfully in revolvers and Savage 24s. The didn't work well in Marlin or Savsge bolt actions, particularly bad in the Marlin 982, so I had to replace the extractor.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 22 mag sub sonic - 05/18/22
Thanks, ya learn something new everyday.
© 24hourcampfire