Home
Posted By: JPro Southern Summer Sweat Guns - 06/21/22
Summertime is here in Louisiana. I walked out of the door the other morning with a blued Hi-Power 9mm to test a new magazine for functioning and the the pistol was soaked in condensation before I could even start shooting. Gross.....

Any of you hot-climate guys have guns you tend to shoot more when the weather is steamy? I know I have several blued rimfires I love to practice with on a regular basis, but they rarely leave the safe from June until October. We need a few good SS guns that can not be worried over, like the ones pictured below. I just shoot them hot, and maybe wipe them off every now and then with an oily rag. It's just too damn hot to enjoy much bench shooting these days, so it's a good time to work on offhand shooting, preferably from underneath a shade tree while enjoying a cold drink.

I'm about 11 months in on the wait for a rimfire can, so maybe the ATF will pull my number before the end of the year....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yep! I'm a world class sweater. Walk out the door this time of year and a visible, whole body, moisture layer instantly appears.

Stainless 10/22, stainless 22/45, stainless SP101, 1 7/8" LCR, and 3" LCRx are summer fun guns. The 2 lcr's get a lot of carry....stainless with a plastic coating ain't pretty but is pretty durable.

Non-rimfire, but I sighted in a wood/blued Mauser yesterday and was constantly worried I was going to drop sweat on it. I'm pretty much a stainless/synthetic guy all year but summer greatly reinforces it.
Posted By: JPro Re: Southern Summer Sweat Guns - 06/21/22
I'm probably not the only one that "climatizes" a blued gun that really needs shooting in the summer by bringing it out in a padded case, putting it on the porch rail, and unzipping a couple inches of the case so it can warm up slowly. Seems like the guns don't sweat much when they are handled this way. Of course, it goes without saying that humidity and storage in a padded case don't mix, but a case can help to avoid the cold sweats when going from a cool, indoor safe to a hot and humid shooting session outdoors.
Posted By: JPro Re: Southern Summer Sweat Guns - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The 2 lcr's get a lot of carry....stainless with a plastic coating ain't pretty but is pretty durable.

I suppose that's part of why me and most of my buddies carry Glocks and XD's throughout the year as outdoor pistols. They can get sweated on, bled on, rained on, etc. and just keep ticking. Coated steel, stainless, and polymer are certainly useful.
That’s the same approach I take. Leave them in the case until I get to the range and I’m ready to shoot. If I have a stainless gun with me, I shoot it first to give any blued guns a little longer to warm up.

When I get home I do the same thing to give them a chance to cool down slowly in the air conditioning and I make sure to at least wipe them down after they’ve cooled.
Posted By: TWR Re: Southern Summer Sweat Guns - 06/24/22
I'm in southern Oklahoma and remember buying a Sig 230 since it was SS and wouldn't rust. Fought that sucker with an oil rag every evening and still had pits in it from rusting...

Coatings are better, I tend to carry a Glock more than anything else. My DW lightweight commander has an Alloy frame and SS slide with their Duty coat over everything but the grip screws, yep rusted one of them. Everything else I have is either SS or parkerized, no shiny blue steel for me.
I'm not to far from the coast in SC, and after getting my first full stainless fiberglass stocked rifle 6 or so years ago, I made a promise to myself to never again buy a new production gun that isn't stainless. I'll still pick up a nice wood n blue classic pump shotty here and there, but I've mostly managed to stick with my plan. Actually got rid of a good bit of older blue guns and most of my mil-surps. Just too much trouble trying to keep up with em, compared to stainless.
We have a breakfast nook room off of the kitchen. I keep a sandbag at the window and shoot out of it some in the summer.
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Southern Summer Sweat Guns - 06/26/22
Check the description on the website for Black Nitride from H&M Metal Processing of Akron, OH. It’s a surface hardening treatment and not a coating, so it doesn’t change parts dimensions even a little bit. Superior weatherproofing:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by JPro
Summertime is here in Louisiana. I walked out of the door the other morning with a blued Hi-Power 9mm to test a new magazine for functioning and the the pistol was soaked in condensation before I could even start shooting. Gross.....

Any of you hot-climate guys have guns you tend to shoot more when the weather is steamy? I know I have several blued rimfires I love to practice with on a regular basis, but they rarely leave the safe from June until October. We need a few good SS guns that can not be worried over, like the ones pictured below. I just shoot them hot, and maybe wipe them off every now and then with an oily rag. It's just too damn hot to enjoy much bench shooting these days, so it's a good time to work on offhand shooting, preferably from underneath a shade tree while enjoying a cold drink.

I'm about 11 months in on the wait for a rimfire can, so maybe the ATF will pull my number before the end of the year....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That sounds like fun. All except for the sweating profusely part..
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Check the description on the website for Black Nitride from H&M Metal Processing of Akron, OH. It’s a surface hardening treatment and not a coating, so it doesn’t change parts dimensions even a little bit. Superior weatherproofing:

Pretty sweet my friend..
Originally Posted by TWR
I'm in southern Oklahoma and remember buying a Sig 230 since it was SS and wouldn't rust. Fought that sucker with an oil rag every evening and still had pits in it from rusting...

Coatings are better, I tend to carry a Glock more than anything else. My DW lightweight commander has an Alloy frame and SS slide with their Duty coat over everything but the grip screws, yep rusted one of them. Everything else I have is either SS or parkerized, no shiny blue steel for me.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that chidt where I live. Humidity level is at 19% right now..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that chidt where I live. Humidity level is at 19% right now..

But you have one of the most commie governments in the US, not to mention the oddest people known to mankind.

I'll sweat.
Posted By: DeWman Re: Southern Summer Sweat Guns - 06/27/22
Here in the bootheel (Missouri) the hot days are spent at the ditches with a stainless 10/22 & mk 4. Rangetime gets put on hold.
I shot in a silhouette match Saturday.

The temperature was 91 while the humidity was only 97%...

I'm pretty sure we all lost 3 or 4 pounds just sweating it out...
Posted By: JPro Re: Southern Summer Sweat Guns - 06/27/22
Saturday was rough here too. Worked outdoors from about 6 to 12 and just about got too hot. Felt pukey all day yesterday.

Will be 66 or 67 in the morning, which will be a drastic improvement. Might have to pop a few caps before work.
© 24hourcampfire