Home
Posted By: LazyL0228 Savage 187b problem - 11/29/22
Will only shoot one time. Cleaned tried different ammo still only one shot. Any feedback would be apricated. Semiauto .22

Thanks
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Savage 187b problem - 11/30/22
This is a 187N not b. Don't know where I got b.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/01/22
have you taken the action out of the stock? they can hide a lot of grime and gun oil inside of them
Posted By: benchman Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/01/22
I think they have a cartridge stop that rotates up to keep the rounds in the tube. When the bolt moves to the rear, the stop moves down to allow another cartridge to feed. I'd take it out of the stock, clean it some more, and make sure everything is functioning properly. Also make sure it's all installed properly. Could have something in wrong.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/01/22
Yes, have taken action out and cleaned. It will feed after one shot but will not fire trigger will pull but will not fire. It's like the trigger is not resetting.

Thanks
Posted By: benchman Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/02/22
Apparently, they do this fairly often! From what I understand, there is a notch on the bolt that holds part of the bolt back to fire. If this is worn, the gun will fire, but the rear of the bolt will not stay in the cocked position. Something to look at, anyway. I don't have one in front of me, so really just guessing.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/02/22
Thanks, will look at that.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/02/22
Disassemble it and give us pics of the bolt, hammer, and trigger assembly.

Are you certain that all the parts are installed correctly?
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/02/22
Cannot do pictures. I think so. I keep cleaning and polishing parts still the same thing. Will get it.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/07/22
The cartridge stop and spring have to be installed correctly, it's not intuitive. What you can do is remove the stock and then you'll be able to see the action working. Use dummy rounds if you can.

I can't recall; does the receiver plug screw in or does it attach with a hook? If it screws in, perhaps you have it screwed in too far, causing too much spring tension.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/07/22
It screws in will try backing off a little. Also was told to loosen up trigger screws 1/4 to 1/2 turn not to tighten it all the way down. Have been cutting wood for the past 3 days. Get it while it's dry. Will get back to it in a few days.

Thanks
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/17/22
Yep, screwed out the receiver plug. Took a few times but it's working fine now.

Thanks for all the help.
Posted By: benchman Re: Savage 187b problem - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
Yep, screwed out the receiver plug. Took a few times but it's working fine now.

Thanks for all the help.
Hallelujah! Glad you got it sorted out!
© 24hourcampfire