Home
Didn’t want to hijack the 10/22 takedown thread but I’m curious what everyone is topping there’s with. Particularly, those that have gone the red dot route or other options that retain the low profile, highly portable function of its original intent/design.
fixed leupold 4x rimfire on mine.
My only 10/22 at the moment (16" model) also wears a straight 4x, being a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire variant. Really useful little rifle/scope combo for small game and general short-range practice.
I'm a fan of the Leupold 4x Rimfire Special. For precision shot placement a little further out, I've realized the advantages of such a scope first-hand. Having said that, I went with a Riton X3 Tactix red dot for my 10/22 takedown - partly because I happened to have one on the shelf, but the size is a real advantage for me. I keep my 10/22 in a backpack and even when mounted forward on the receiver rail, this optic doesn't extend past where the rifle "breaks" in half. That helps me keep the overall package as compact as possible (short of just shooting irons). Plus if that receiver end of the rifle would happen to take a bump while in its taken-down state, maybe the polymer stock would take the brunt of that bump instead of scope that extended past that point??
My favorite 10/22 scope is the (not so little) Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32, no longer produced as everyone knows. The external turrets are a little tall but quite handy if your ranges vary. I also have one on my Savage MKII which is what replaced my 10/22 TD due to reliability/accuracy issues. (edit: point being you can occasionally find these on used market). The lightweight 4X scopes are nice though; I'm saving a NIB Weaver 4X Rimfire Classic for my grandson's first .22 rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Ya’ll have confirmed my internal conflict. I prefer a 2-7 for 10/22s but the footprint negates the function of the red dot. I may just have to take the erase way out and have both by the ready.
Originally Posted by wreckster84

Why would you not max out ring spacing?
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by wreckster84

Why would you not max out ring spacing?

I'd like to recall some good reason at the time of mounting but I can't. My practice has always been to space them in the center of the tube sections between bell and reticle housing. I've read that scope manufacturer's recommend not putting too close the either bell housing. Why I'm not sure.

No doubt the rings would work in the end slots just as well.
Red dot.
Easier to pack. Harder to knock out of zero.
I don't have a TD model but on one of my LW builds I employ a Vari X III 1.5-5x20, small and light, cant think of better glass for a TD model.
A shotgun scope?
Usually compact. Usually rugged.
© 24hourcampfire