Home
Posted By: gnoahhh Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
I'm not terribly conversant with what's out there for subsonic .22 ammo. I'm referring to the really quiet stuff labeled "CB-whatever", not necessarily .22LR Subsonic rounds.

I've dabbled with the stuff, and was gifted a brick of W-W .22 Long CB-Match a couple years ago that is wonderful for backyard safaris here in suburban Maryland, but alas it's about used up and I need to find a substitute. (That CB-Match stuff filled the bill perfectly - accurate and quieter when fired out of long barreled target rifles than Pugs' suppressed .22's.) But the stuff isn't around anymore and I'm led to believe it's discontinued. Dunno.

Aguila any good? Something out there I never heard of? I'm all ears.

P.S. Don't suggest the obvious by saying it's time for a suppressor. Every .22 I own is either a rather valuable vintage gun or such that it would be criminal to thread the barrel for a suppressor, and new purpose-built .22's ain't in the cards unless someone wants to donate one.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
For the record, my go-to backyard quiet plinker (British Enfield No.2 Mk IV .22 trainer)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And with its recently added vintage target sight:

The extractor neatly plucks empties out of the chamber and drops them in the hollow .303 magazine box. You can fire a lot of shots before you absolutely have to drop that box and empty it. It's a single shot, of course.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
CCI makes CB Longs and I have found them to be more accurate in LR chambers than any of the CB Shorts I have tested. Sometimes they're a bit finicky about feeding from a rotary Ruger 77/22 magazine but that wasn't often.

I shot hundreds of the CB Longs over 3 years of living in suburban Virginia without a single complaint. One neighbor was a lawyer and the other was a 91 year old retired lady. She would phone me anytime a squirrel was raiding her bird feeders in hopes I was home to dispatch the nuisance.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
CB Longs maybe, or perhaps the Aguila oddity with the short case and 60 grain bullet. My Contender has a 15" twist and shoots them OK.

CCI makes a "Suppressor" LR that advertises a MV of 970 fps. They also advertise a segmented LR with MV of 710 fps. That's ballpark the same as their CB shorts.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
Sweet rifle G!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 700LH Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
CCI CB's are not as quiet as they once were, at least the last brick I bought isn't
Aguila Colibri can stick in your barrel, depending on the gun used, check your rifle before shooting more than one.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
Gnoahhh, that is a very cool trainer. The ammo that I suggest is the Aguila Colibri. I had some given to me and it is very quiet. I was not brave enough to try it in my long barreled 22lr, but it was super quiet in my 10-22..
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Sweet rifle G!

Equally cool, C!
Posted By: PennDog Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
gnoahhh - I use CCI Quiet a lot for stealthy safaris in the backyard. Out of a rifle it is indeed very quiet - not as quiet as Colibri but sounds like a pellet gun and is pretty accurate out to 25-30 yards. Cool trainer BTW - how does it shoot?

PennDog
Originally Posted by PennDog
gnoahhh - I use CCI Quiet a lot for stealthy safaris in the backyard. Out of a rifle it is indeed very quiet - not as quiet as Colibri but sounds like a pellet gun and is pretty accurate out to 25-30 yards. Cool trainer BTW - how does it shoot?

PennDog

Thanks.

As for how it shoots, believe it or not I've never targeted it off the bench. It'll bounce a golf ball at 100 feet so I guess it's ok. I wasn't kidding when I said it's my backyard plinker. I guess maybe I should throw it in the car for the next range session.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
G - plenty accurate enough then👍😄!

I enjoy the military trainers only have a couple (Springfield M1922 and a converted Swiss K-31) but they are a lot of fun and always looking for others!

PennDog
Posted By: savage2400 Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
I agree that threading a Vintage .22 is never a good idea.I've been making adapters out of brass--they slip over the end of the barrel ( there's a notch for the front sight) and are fastened with set screws.Then I thread the adapter for 1/2-28 and voila my can goes on and the rifle remains pristine
Posted By: papat Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
If worse comes to worse maybe build a baffle box like Digital D had on here some time back. If he would be willing to show us again it would be appreciated. At one time I had a rack of tires with carpet lining the inside for my modest rim fire range. Very effective but unsightly. I live out in the country though.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23

PennDog
Another CCI Quiet user. Used them in my 77/22 to thin out pests in my father's backyard, was surprised how quiet they were, and accurate/lethal enough for woodchuck head shots at 35 yds.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
My issue too with the backyard rabbits. My old Sheridan Silver Streak would have worked well, but it is bigger bucks to get it a valve job than it was using an old Marlin bolt action .22 with quiet ammunition. Last year I gave those Aguila .22 LR Colibri 20 grain 420 fps cartridges a try. Accuracy was so so and yes, they were quiet, but they didn’t kill a rabbit worth a darn. The first one ran half the length of the yard before it died and #2 needed to be dispatched with a shovel. Enough evidence for me to look for something else. There seems to be quite a bit of CCI lead head Quiet LR ammunition around, but then I found a box of the CCI .22 LR Quiet Segmented HP cartridges at a gun show and I think that a 40 grain 710 fps HP will be the answer to any further rabbit problem.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
Friend and I are into our 2nd case of Quiet-segmented HPs. We depopulate rats at dairy farms. Thermals and/or NV. No trouble killing them to as far as we can make hits. 35 yds is the longest we've shot a rat using thermal. We do this stuff both inside and outside dairy barns. Cows don't give a crap....(pun)....about the noise. Mostly the 13 gr fragments do not exit, but depends on placement. Between 20 and 120 rats per outing.
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
Originally Posted by MikeL2
PennDog
Another CCI Quiet user. Used them in my 77/22 to thin out pests in my father's backyard, was surprised how quiet they were, and accurate/lethal enough for woodchuck head shots at 35 yds.
CCI Quiet22s are sure mighty darn quiet from this 24-3/4” barreled Stevens Favorite:

Seem quieter than pellets from this Feinwerkbau 124 spring-air rifle:

Actually, a lot of the FWB 124’s noise comes from its large compression piston slamming home under some pretty hefty spring force. The jarring impact can set one’s teeth to rattling.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
SK - Standard plus - IF YOU CAN FIND IT.....

10-22, bag rest, DDs backyard range, Nikon M-223 Scope, 50 yards, 10 shots, this morning about 10:00 Eastern time....

the white circle measures .700"

It's quiet on its own, with a can it's stupid quiet......

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Backyard quietude - 03/28/23
Originally Posted by papat
If worse comes to worse maybe build a baffle box like Digital D had on here some time back. If he would be willing to show us again it would be appreciated. At one time I had a rack of tires with carpet lining the inside for my modest rim fire range. Very effective but unsightly. I live out in the country though.

A smaller version. Sight over the top, shoot thru the box. It is surprisingly effective. And the serial # is BR549.

That flier in Muffin's target happened when I farted. Not because it startled him, but because I disturbed otherwise calm air near the muzzle.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Backyard quietude - 03/29/23
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by papat

A smaller version. Sight over the top, shoot thru the box. It is surprisingly effective. And the serial # is BR549.

That flier in Muffin's target happened when I farted. Not because it startled him, but because I disturbed otherwise calm air near the muzzle.

A lot of guys seem to think minimal wind will screw up the best of groups. Next time, point it in another direction..
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Backyard quietude - 03/30/23
CCI Quiets are OK out of a few of my rifles. CCI Quiet "Semi-auto" are better and still pretty quiet. The CCI "Supressor" is the most accurate of the bunch in a few of my rifles and I like the 45 grain bullet. Groundhogs don't care for them much at reasonable ranges.
I would pick the supressor if you can stand just a bit of noise but not the CRACK if standard velocity.
Good Luck to you!
Rick
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Backyard quietude - 03/30/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm not terribly conversant with what's out there for subsonic .22 ammo. I'm referring to the really quiet stuff labeled "CB-whatever", not necessarily .22LR Subsonic rounds.

I've dabbled with the stuff, and was gifted a brick of W-W .22 Long CB-Match a couple years ago that is wonderful for backyard safaris here in suburban Maryland, but alas it's about used up and I need to find a substitute. (That CB-Match stuff filled the bill perfectly - accurate and quieter when fired out of long barreled target rifles than Pugs' suppressed .22's.) But the stuff isn't around anymore and I'm led to believe it's discontinued. Dunno.

Aguila any good? Something out there I never heard of? I'm all ears.

P.S. Don't suggest the obvious by saying it's time for a suppressor. Every .22 I own is either a rather valuable vintage gun or such that it would be criminal to thread the barrel for a suppressor, and new purpose-built .22's ain't in the cards unless someone wants to donate one.

As other have said the CCI Quiet are pretty quiet out of a longer barreled 22 LR.

If you need some kind killing power that is probably the best bet. There is a segmented HP version.
Posted By: papat Re: Backyard quietude - 03/30/23
Many thanks Dan.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Backyard quietude - 03/30/23
Winchester 67 and CCI CB's are a pretty good working combo. Minute of cathead out to about 30 yards.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: Backyard quietude - 03/31/23
Gnoahhh,

As you already noted a long barrel helps to keep the noise down significantly.

I shoot CCI Standard Velocity out of a CZ with a 24.+ inch barrel and it is hearing safe and very accurate. About $450/case right now (that's shipped).
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci...40-grain-lead-round-nose-0032-p-895.aspx
Ten shots CCI SV @ 50 yards out of a Tikka T1X, the black square is one inch;

I had two cases of CCI Quiets. I dedicated a Remington 580 single shot with a 4X scope for the round. No where as accurate as CCI SV, but quieter. I used it on eggs at 50 yards and surprisingly even with the poor trigger on my 580 I could almost do as well as I could with CCI SV in my CZ (Shooting offhand). I could never get these to run in a Ruger 10-22 until I took Volquartsen's 22 short Kit and tweaked it for the Quiets (Also tweaked this kit to run 22LR Birdshot). The "Semi-Auto" 45 grain Quiets which CCI came out with later ran in my 10-22 just fine though.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci...40-grain-lead-round-nose-960-p-3345.aspx

I tried CCI segmented Quiets in my 580 and was disappointed only because they did not hit to the same point of aim as the regular 'Quiets'. However, it was much better for vermin.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci...-segmented-hollow-point-970-p-58637.aspx

I tried CCI CB Shorts (in a LR chambered rifle) & Longs, Aguila Colibri, Aguila Super(?) Colibri and Aguila 60 grain SSS. None were accurate enough for a head shot beyond about 12 to 15 yards. Colibri's come with a warning about sticking in rifle barrels, however, I never had a problem.

For those with 22 Short chambered rifles, the CCI CB Shorts and Target Shorts are both extremely Quiet. The CB's were as accurate as the Target Shorts in my rifle, however the target shorts are approx. 100 fps faster.
Browning SA-22 in 22 Short;

Jerry
Posted By: tmitch Re: Backyard quietude - 03/31/23
For "quietude" in my unthreaded rifles I use CCI Target Shorts my Winchester 1885 and Remington 551. Seem to shoot better than the CB loading and still very quiet. The 551 will also digest the LR Quiets well if I feel the need for a little more bullet weight.

Posted By: Pugs Re: Backyard quietude - 04/02/23
Originally Posted by Dinny
CCI makes CB Longs and I have found them to be more accurate in LR chambers than any of the CB Shorts I have tested.

That was the nice thing about these WW CB match that they were made on a .22 Long case. I may find a few more around to pass to Gary as a Christmas gift but everything is in the process of being packed for the move from MD to NH. I know what I packed but I bet I''ll still be surprised when I unpack. grin

This is the stuff. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900129854
Posted By: killerv Re: Backyard quietude - 04/03/23
cci quiets, I've shot a lot of the aguila colibris with good success but now only use the super colibris, they are a little faster and I've never had one get stuck in barrel like the regular colibri.

cci quiets out of my win 74 are stupid quiet.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Backyard quietude - 04/04/23
In the yard, I shoot colibris out of the revolvers and cci cb shorts out of the rifles.

The little shorts penetrate surprising well and are very quite out of a 20” or so barrel.
© 24hourcampfire