Home
Posted By: pacecars Wanted a S&W 617 for a while - 02/05/24
I figured a 10 shot 6โ€ full lug barrel with a 4X Bausch & Lomb ought to scratch a few itches
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It would seem as though a 357 MAG with a 10-round cylinder would need to be very large or have very thin cylinder walls.
Nice one๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Assume you meant to type 617 tho
Fat fingers!
Fixed it
nice setup
Nice combo! I have the 4โ€ 617-10 with fiber optic front sight. Lock or no-lock, itโ€™s freaky accurate. An Ultradot in silver would look great on top too.
Very pleased with mine,though mine is an early 6 round model.
Posted By: Papag Re: Wanted a S&W 627 for a while - 02/05/24
Had one. Wish I still did. My 1953 K22 is ok, now.
'Hope that you like it, I bought the 6-shot version back in 2001 and it never moved me, so it just sits in a cupboard under the stairs.
Pacecars: Good for you on acquiring that nifty Model 617. That is a great looking outfit with the 4 power Bausch & Lomb scope.
I hope it shoots as well as it looks.
I have a similar scoped rig - it is a S&W Model 647, it is in 17 HMR caliber and has an 8 3/8" full lug barrel. I outfitted mine with a WONDERFUL Burris straight 7 power pistol scope.
It is a Ground Squirrel killing machine and shoots nearly as well (accurately) as some of my 17 HMR Rifles.
I have kill't Ground Squirrels out to 125 yards with my rig.
Are you mainly going to Hunt Tree Squirrels with your Model 617 or just have a fun plinkster?
Again good for you and let us know how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have the earlier 6 shot (no dash) versions in 4 and 6 inch. Very nice guns and accurate as well. You will enjoy that one.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Wanted a S&W 627 for a while - 02/07/24
I have a 4โ€ 617-4 that I shot silhouette with at Tallahassee R&P club when I lived in Crawfordville, Fl. Small world. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

That would be perfect for that. Lots of fun and a great bunch of guys as I remember. Youโ€™re probably a member already. ๐Ÿ˜

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
These days I shoot my OMT the most, but my OMT has had a VERY busy last two decades. That revolver has seen some rounds!!! Mine has been a brilliant performer since day one and continues to do so. I'll end up giving it to my son when he moves out next month, he loves it.

Some of my .22 handguns. Can't recommend the 617 enough!!
[Linked Image]
I like mine also.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I have a couple of the 4" 617's, and have big fun plinking with them. My wife also has one, and really enjoys informal shooting with it.
© 24hourcampfire