Home
Posted By: lucky_7 what was your first rimfire? - 09/30/07
My first rimfire was a model 15 springfied from stevens arms. It shot shorts, longs and long rifles. Still hae the gun. It now belongs to my daughter. Dave
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It's so old there is no serial no. on it anywhere.Dave
My first 22 rifle, that was mine, was a Mossberg 51K...

I really liked that rifle. It disappeared while I was in the service.

Bill
Posted By: johnw Re: what was your first rimfire? - 09/30/07
remington 581...
best rifle value to ever hit the market... at least in my eyes.....
My first 22 rimfire was a 1899 Winchester pump that shot 22 shorts only. It was given to me by my father. It was his first gun too. His brother once pointed it at his feet and told him to dance. When he wouldn't, his brother started shooting at his feet. One bullet ricocheted and hit my dad in the leg. He still had that slug in his leg when he died.
Mine was a Marlin Mdl 25. I saved for months to buy it, then it went on sale at the store where my sister-in-law worked. Oh Boy!! With her discount I had enough for it and a brick of ammo. I think I was twelve or thirteen.

Still have the rifle and couldn't begin to guess how many rounds have gone through it. There were several days that I went through a brick +. It has accounted for a truck load of squirrels and groundhogs, blackbirds, starlings, a few crows and snakes. Even one rather large snapping turtle that we decided would make a fine meal when my brother hooked it while fishing. Thank goodness & GOD for a mom who was understanding and willing to cook just about anything.

Dave.

9422 got it when I was 6 or 7. Had to earn 80 dollars to put towards the .22 of my choice dad would cover the rest. Took most the summer But I got it done. Still is my favorite rifle.

[Linked Image]
Mine too was the Marlin 25 ... and I still have mine too!
Posted By: Swift Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/01/07
Finger grooved Win mdl 67, still got er!
First rimfire was first gun, a Marlin 39A. I put so many rounds through it that I just had it rebarreled. Good as new now.
Mine first was one just like the one pictured, except it was a Stevens rather than a Springfield. I don't think there was any difference, except the name.

Hardwood stock, had to be hand cocked.
Winchester Model 270, which was a modern pump that shot 22 short, long and long rifle. It would jam once in awhile. Dad carried me over to Simmons Gun Specialties, just a few miles from our house and bought it for me there. I must've been 13 or so. Depends on how you look at it though. My first gun was an old Marlin 12 gauge my Uncle gave me. My Grandma was there and gave me my Grandpa's model 12 Remington .22 when she heard her son give me his. So that was really the first one-and I still have it. But she was senile and gave the same gun away to the same Uncle also. heheheh Pretty common in mine and my wife's families for oldsters to do this. Uncle had no kids of his own and gave it to me after she passed on to her reward.

I traded the Winchester when I got older, for my first handgun, an H&R 949. I don't lament the Winchester, but kinda do the H&R.
I really wish my Uncle had gave me his German Luger that he carried home after WWII. He was a truck driver over there and was in the second wave at Omaha. He was also in the Battle of the Bulge. He traded it away for a case of chaw or some such when he got home...not really, but it seems like it was something nearly as worthless. Oh well, there was lots of Nazi memorabilia floating around in the 50's and 60's.
Posted By: benp Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/01/07
A 1967 Ruger 10/22 Finger Groove. Still have it.
Posted By: JPro Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/01/07
Anschutz Woodchucker bolt action repeater. Tiny little thing my dad gave me when I was five. Still have it, and my little kids will shoot it too.
Winchester 67.

I love that little rifle.
My first rimfire was a Springfield Model #15 just like the one Lucky 7 has pictured and I still have it. I got it about 1962.
Remmington matchmaster 513-t, it was my grandfathers, still have it and still shoot it.
Posted By: Pugs Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/01/07
First I shot much was my fathers Marlin 39A but the one I consider "my" first was a 10/22 I bought at KMart for $89 in 1980.
Posted By: Maser Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/02/07
Daisy Legacy

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJM52 Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/02/07
1966....Marlin 39A Golden...Weaver 2-6 3/4" scope...

....The first one I shot was my dad's Savage model 6, the first I owned was a Remington nylon 66 (still have it and the old Savage too).
i only got mine a few months ago... (only 19) just a stainless ruger 10/22 the sports delux version or something like that. put the scope on it from my pellit gun - kicks less than the pellit gun too- keeps stove pipen the casings tho- sighted in off a rest i love plinking old paint gallon buckets at 150 yards. best was putting a golf ball at 150 (that usually took 2 or 3). but now i am back in california-- i cant just shoot like in idaho-- speakin of first guns- in the middle of writing this post i found a 100 rounds for my old russian m44. that was my first gun. thats a fun one- for only $74 i cant complain-
adammada

If you want a bunch of fun get together with a buddy and throw a couple golfballs out about 25yards away. See how many times you can hit it. Kinda tough when your buddy is shootin at it too!
bogger--

never tried it with another guy at the same time-- too bad we cant play it where we're standing opposites wtih it in the middle and gotta get it to the other person! we d throw one out close and see you could get the lost shot before missin tho... theyre a blast tho!
Marlin model 60
First was a Remington 512 with a Redfield 4X scope.

After that came Winchester 77,s with tube magazines, a 75 Target, a 72 Target, a 52,
a 62(non-A), a Ruger 77/22, two Browning T-bolts, another 512, two Ruger 10/22's,
a Colt SAA, Ruger MK1, three K-22's and my father in law's Marlin just like yours!
Marlin 81DL. Dad earned by selling greeting cards or salve or somesuch in 1947. Learned to shoot with that rifle in the early 60's. I inherited it a few years ago when Pop passed away. Still have it- it would be about the last one to ever leave my posession.

First .22 bought with my own money was a Win. 52, First Model. $35 in 1968. To this day one of the most accurate .22's I ever owned. Wish I still had it. Horse traded it for an M2 Springfield, which I do still have! It'll put 10 rds. of Tenex into 5/8" at 50 yds. The 52 was a little better, though.
Winchester 69A
My First .22 rifle Belonged to a Great Uncle I never met. My Great Aunt came across it under her Bed many years after he passed away. She called my Father to come remove it as she did not ant any guns around the house after he died. My Father shared with me that my Great uncle worked for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad for 40 Years as a signal Man in the Caboose. This time period was for steam engines and he carried this Remington Model 12-A in an oil cloth in the caboose with him. When the steam engine Train would come into small towns to Pick up passengers and get water to make it's steam he would knock the head off a Cock Pheasant and the boys and him would share in a Nice Pheasant dinner once the train was back under Motion. I got it when I was 10 Years old, and my Father cut the stock off it to fit me better back then. I lost Tract of just how many Bricks of .22 shells this rifle has fired aince I was a young Boy, But I can tell you it has Bagged Hundreds of Gray squirrles in taht time span. I grew up with it, and later bought a complete model 12-A Parts rifle to harvest the stock off it so I could Put this rifle back original. I called the Remington Plant one day and asked for the age of this rifle off it's serial numbers and was told it was shipped to a hardware store In Lyons New York in 1913, and later that year Purchased by my great uncle. It will remain in my Family and eventually be passed on to my Daughters children as they grow and want to learn how to shoot their first rifle.. Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMT Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/06/07
Marlin Model 60. Still have it. Paper route money bought a crick of CCIs. I damn near wore it out.

BMT
Posted By: eh76 Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/07/07
Wincester Model 121 single shot for Christmas in 1969 or 1970. I think it cost my parents $13 back then which was a lot of money as we were as poor as church mice. Still have it.
General, I need not tell you to never part with your grand old Remington, it is a real beauty, value enhanced by it's storied past.It's condition speaks well indeed of the loving hands that it has served. Thanks for sharing, your recounting of your treasure's past points out so well a value in our arms we all should cherish!
Originally Posted by generalstuart
My First .22 rifle Belonged to a Great Uncle I never met. My Great Aunt came across it under her Bed many years after he passed away. She called my Father to come remove it as she did not ant any guns around the house after he died. My Father shared with me that my Great uncle worked for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad for 40 Years as a signal Man in the Caboose. This time period was for steam engines and he carried this Remington Model 12-A in an oil cloth in the caboose with him. When the steam engine Train would come into small towns to Pick up passengers and get water to make it's steam he would knock the head off a Cock Pheasant and the boys and him would share in a Nice Pheasant dinner once the train was back under Motion. I got it when I was 10 Years old, and my Father cut the stock off it to fit me better back then. I lost Tract of just how many Bricks of .22 shells this rifle has fired aince I was a young Boy, But I can tell you it has Bagged Hundreds of Gray squirrles in taht time span. I grew up with it, and later bought a complete model 12-A Parts rifle to harvest the stock off it so I could Put this rifle back original. I called the Remington Plant one day and asked for the age of this rifle off it's serial numbers and was told it was shipped to a hardware store In Lyons New York in 1913, and later that year Purchased by my great uncle. It will remain in my Family and eventually be passed on to my Daughters children as they grow and want to learn how to shoot their first rifle.. Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]
Anschutz 1400. Sold it (Dumb Dumb Dumb!) to trade up on a newer model. Just bought a second hand 1400 for my son. Should of kept the first one I had.
The first one I remember shooting was my Grandpa's Savage Model 24 .22/.410. When my kid brother and I would be taking turns shooting it, I used to get a kick out of slipping in a .410 shell, flipping the selector down and seeing how big my brother's eyes got when he squeezed the trigger. The first .22 I owned I bought at Wal-Mart with safety bonus gift certificates we got at work for each quarter worked without an accident. Both guns still reside at my home.
Mine was a Marlin 60 that I still have, but just refinished the stock. I stained it a pre-64 red-brown and did a rubbed finish with BLO, sealed with a beeswax and BLO mix. Looks awesome, removed the rear sight and put a dovetail blank and removed the front sight. I scoped it with a Bushnell. I told you all of this because I did it to give it to my son, he said that he would rather have a bolt action. After getting over that, he now has a Remington 511 Scoremaster. Someone was talking about the golfballs, my friend and I, would set up battles with the green Army men and Tonka trucks and light them up, me with my Marlin and he had a 10/22. It probably looks cooler in my memories than it really was, but still a good time.
lol army men and tonka trucks. that reminds me of me an my buddies doin that with BB guns when we were wayyy little. Looks pretty cool in my memories too.
Marlin Model 60 that I still have.
My first that I owned was a Mossberg 351C which I got for Christmas in 9th grade. I paid for half of it. There was a budget for Christmas at that time. The rifle choice was all mine; my Dad did not question my choice of a semi-auto even though he did not have one. That rifle shot great. I still have it but it needs some work to bring it back to normal reliability. It is just wore out.
Posted By: docdb Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/21/07
Browning take down .22 auto, still have it in the safe (grade I)
Remington Nylon 66
Posted By: 5sdad Re: what was your first rimfire? - 10/23/07
Winchester Model 47 Target. The damned fool idiocy of youth is to be blamed for my trading it off.
Model 67 Winchester, Got it when I was 9. 40 years ago. Still have it. [Linked Image]
Glenfield Model 20 w/ Glenfield 4X scope, Christmas 1968?, $31.88 at the KMart in Washington PA. Sighted it in back then and haven't touched the scope since. Don't shoot it much anymore as the trigger is about 15# (or seems to be).
A Savage something or another over-under .22 mag / .20 gauge. I have no idea what happened to it. confused
Mo gun nut,
I've got a 67 'zactly like that one! The grooved forearm was only made for a cupple of years, don't remember exactly, am thinking 1935-1936. Great little rifles....
Virgil B.
A Remington 521-T that my dad bought new in 1948 for $48. Shot a pile of woodchucks with that gun. Seemed like 16 year old eyes , that Lyman peep sight and the weight and balance of that target style rifle just couldn't miss. Still in my safe.
Winchester 67
JC higgens, I think, that what I learned on. It was dads rifle. My own first 22 was a Ruger 10/22.
JC Higgens (model?)two peice stock, red sling that went into stock, semi auto. Shot shorts(loaded 25) Longs or LR. Man we had fun. Shot so much I could consistantly hit bottles in the air. (Didn't think much wrong about doing that then). Remember peddling my bike some ten miles one way to go squrril hunting. Uncased rifle slung across my handlebars. Try that today!
I don't know what my first rimfire was. It was a bolt action single-shot that my dad bought for me when I was 6 years old. Funny thing about it was that it must have had a bent barrel because every time I fired it the bullet would get stuck in the barrel. Dad finally bought me a Remington Nylon 66 that was a real shooter. That rifle is long gone but a few years ago I bought another one for sentimental reasons and this one is in mint condition.
First was a High Standard Sport King semi auto .22. Truly an awful rifle. Had a trigger like sandpaper. Long since sold................whew!
Posted By: DMB Re: what was your first rimfire? - 11/16/07
Remington Model 510 that I bought in 1950 with money saved from mowing grass and shoveling snow.
My first Rimfire was a Savage model 24V 22/20ga. It wasn't the most accurate rimfire, but I still managed to kill many Ptarmagin, Spruce Grouse and Snowshoe Hares with it. Also managed to close the action on my thumb a few times resulting in either a massive blood blister or the removal of the pad on my thumb cry
Winchester Model 67, single shot, bolt action that my father bought used in the late 1930's with his paper route money. Still got it. Took a lot of 'chucks with it. As long as it's 50 yards or less and you can get a good head shot. Learned a lot about stealthy game stalking that way. Eventually I got into centerfire varmint rifles. But I still enjoy using a rimfire once in a while just for the challenge of gettin' in close.
Marlin Model 39A, got it for X-mas in 1971.
JC Higgens Model 30, complete with red sling that retracted into stock. Held 25 shorts. Shot that thing so much I could regularly hit bottles in the air. (Definitely not a good practice!).
Ithaca Lever action single shot. Paid $15 for it at my first gun show. The extractor was a little soft and sometimes I used my pocketknife to aid in extraction. wink
Nothing teaches you to make that first shot count like a single shot with a bad extractor. grin
whelennut
Like Whelennut, my first was a Ithaca leveraction single shot. It must have been an extraction problem with all these rifles, as mine had the same problem as did one of my first cousins. After a couple years my favorite uncle bought me a Remington Nylon 66 that I still have after 40some years. I don't recall what ever happened to the Ithaca.

Tim
Erma Werke lever 22. Still have it! Nice, well made, little rifle.
This golf ball game kind of sounds like rimfire bocce ball! Reading this did remind me of an old episode of the TV show wings where Brian (?) wasn't invited along with Lowell and his buddy on a rat shooting safari because "two's company, three's crossfire..."
My first 22 was a nylon 66 my dad bought for $50 from Kmart when remington dropped the model. Unfortunatley mine had a magazine defect and traded it for something dumb before repairing it (I was young...). Got lucky recently and found an good condition apache black & chrome replacement for $150.

H
Mine is the Rossi model 62 s l lr bought in 1980
still have it today and it does squirrel duty around the yard.
Winchester Model 250 lever action 22lr. Looks exactly like a Savage 99, slick action, accurate. No way to count how many 'bricks' of Winchester Wildcats I have through this rifle! Was a Christmas present from my parents about 40 years ago!

smile

Remington Nylon 66

brown one. still got it, still shoots great (with open sights, can't scope em, reciever floats)
Originally Posted by cossack2
JC Higgens Model 30, complete with red sling that retracted into stock. Held 25 shorts. Shot that thing so much I could regularly hit bottles in the air. (Definitely not a good practice!).

My dad has one of those, the sling is wound up & the stock so we'd have to take it appart to get it back out.

Do you still have yours? we tried looking up some info on the little rifle, wondering who manufactured it.

dad's shoots really well. nice little rifle.
© 24hourcampfire