Home
My favorite is my Kimber of Oregon in Left Hand . This is one of the most accurate 22 rifles i have owned. This rifle loves the CCI Mini-Mag HP'S . The scope is Leupold 6x42 Target or Tactical with the Mil-Dot Reticule and AO, this scope is great on this rifle . This is one great rifle for Squirrel Hunting .

[Linked Image]
My favorite is that rifle's sister in right hand version.
I dont know if I can narrow it down to just 1..........
I LOVE my Winchester 61 & 62A, but my Kimber Super America is accurate as hell and good lookin. But my Remington 121 is just a classic part of Remington history. My CZ452 is kind my "go to" hunting rig, accurate and if it gets a mark on it no big deal.

And I dont even want to talk about my other 22's. Hell there all my favs!

Dam just 1......
[Linked Image]
Bolt action.....Cooper 57 M
Semiauto.....Ruger 10/22
BRNO 456! Hands down favorite. Model 52 Win sporter second.
Winchester/USRA 52B Sporter bolt.

Winchester 1873 lever.

Remington 121 pump.

Ruger 10/22 KRBIBBZ stainless laminated mannlicher semi-auto.

Remington #4 rolling block single-shot.

Jeff
Ruger 10/22 WMR fitted with a Clerke SS barrel chambered in .17 HMR. (Yes, my favorite .22 is a .17 HMR!) It sits in a Hogue stock and a harris bipod.
[Linked Image]
My 581-S

Yes its cheap, plain and uhhh very accurate.

The favorite I don't have is a Cooper Jackson squirrel rifle, but I have a hunch the 581 will still get used more as I'll be afraid to scratch the Cooper!
Those 581's were really accurate with a super trigger. At least all I ever shot were.
I had the Left Hand 541 and had it re barreled with a 18 inch heavy barrel . I gave this rifle to my son. Tractor and Trailer couldn't haul all the stuff i killed with this rifle. I purchased this rifle in the 70's. I gave it to him for his birthday last year.
[Linked Image]
my favorite is my first...
a 1970 vintage remington 581.....
1960 Marlin 39A Mountie, in second place is my M52B repro.
Originally Posted by Waders
Ruger 10/22 WMR fitted with a Clerke SS barrel chambered in .17 HMR. (Yes, my favorite .22 is a .17 HMR!) It sits in a Hogue stock and a harris bipod.
[Linked Image]

My 10/22 is very similar: Green Mountain 20" fluted SS barrel, Hogue stock, Kidd trigger, Weaver 2x7 scope.

Number 2 is probably my '69 Marlin 39M.

Number 3 is probably my ZKM 452D.
Ruger 77/22 VBBZ....Burris Fullfield II 3x9 Ballistic Plex
Gophers ( ground squirrels here in MT.) tremble at the mention of it... laugh
Ingwe
[Linked Image]
Ansch�tz 1418

[Linked Image]
Ansch�tz 1710

The 1418 is very accurate but then, the 1710 is superlative.
I've got Winchesters in a 67, 94-22 classic, 62A, and 06. A 10-22 compact, Sako Finnfire, Marlin 39 Mountie, and a Weatherby MK XX11. The Weatherby is my all time favorite. But this is like asking which is your favorite child!....I LOVE 'em ALL!!! (grin!)
Virgil B.
Didn't know anyone else had Rem 581's! I bought one new in 1975 and Just traded it in 2 months ago on a Rem 597 TVP SS. (needed a semi). Not worth much but real accurate--I had trigger down to about 3lb, Had it set up with Williams iron target sights front and rear
Heres a tip on 581's--it's easy to put an overtravel screw in the back of the trigger guard--just drill and tap and put in a small allen screw.
But, it's gone now--gunshop i traded it to gave it to the local gun club for the Boy Scouts to use for target work so it went for a good cause
In the class of 22 sporters, I have three favorites.

First is a Ruger 10-22 with a trigger job, a Hart 22" sporter barrel, and a Claude Gatewood stock. Don't have a pix of the full up rifle, but here's a pix of the stock. This rifle shoot a 5 shot group with RWS R-100 at 50 yards that measures 1/4".
[Linked Image]

Second is a custom built Sako Finnfire with a Hart barrel, and a Jewell 2 oz trigger. It's the most accurate 22 sporter I've ever shot; it'll shoot 5 shots into a 1/8" group at 50 yards, using Eley Match ammo.. James Messer built the rifle, and it is without doubt, one of the most accurate sporters available.

Third is a CZ 452 Premier grade 22, with excellent wood. It shot 5 shots at 50 yards into a 3/16" group, unmodified except for a trigger fix. This with Wolf Match Target ammo sorted by weight and rim thickness.

Don
I have two safes that are full of .22 rifles, 30-40 guns. My favorite is a Kimber Super America. No. 2 is an unfired Remington 121.
I would have to say it's my Remington Model 541-S. It is a tough choice really. I really like my Weatherby Mark XXII semi auto also. It shoots real well out to 100 yds.
I have pricier ones but the man said "favorite" and that would have to be my first of two CZ 452 Americans - it simply "fits":

[Linked Image]
...I do love my Remington 541HB, but my Kimber of Oregon model 82 is a shade more accurate overall because of it's lack of preference for brand of ammo, it shoots most any load well.In a semi-auto for plinking I like the Remington 550 or 552, but for super accurate shooting, and squirrel hunting, my H&K model 270 is superb! My favorite lever is my Marlin model 39 CARBINE, a compact gun that performs near match gun accuracy. My inexpensive Remington 580 single shot is light and extremely accurate, a super squirrel gun.....Really my CZ 452's and Kimber Hunter model couldn't be forgotten either....Sentimentally my Remington nylon 66, and my Savage model 6 auto loader I wouldn't want to leave out. The savage was my first 22, the Rem.66 from my teen years.
My favorite is my Ruger 77 walnut blue.

Second is my Ruger 10/22.

Third is my Remington 580.

Fourth is my Remington 581.

Fifth is my son's Marlin 60.
Absolute favourite is a 1948 Browning Trombone that Mom bought for Dad the year they got married -- for his birthday. Dad willed it to his oldest son, me. Medicman got the rest of the rifles. That thing has shot boxcar loads of ammo, and it'll still pick an empty 22 casing off a twig at 20 paces.

After that, it is a el cheapo Ruger 10/22. Tack driving accurate. If I buy another one, it'll be be a BRNO bolt.
My favorite right now are Marlin 39's.I'm getting ready to wring out an Anshutz 1710 with a bull barrel. We'll see how that goes!
win Mod 1890 in .22WRF (1908) Bob
Originally Posted by Andre
[Linked Image]
Ansch�tz 1418

[Linked Image]
Ansch�tz 1710

The 1418 is very accurate but then, the 1710 is superlative.

Very nice 1418. Had one many years ago. Very accurate, had yo sell it when wife became very ill. Miss that rifle and a few others....
custom 1922 m2 springfield. oct br, old ussr walnut stock, worked over action, very cool. every day bang arround is a 1022 with gm. 20 inch br. triger worked over by friend , now passed away. works with everything i feed it. !
Two favorites both semi-auto.
win74 in short and savage 6a in LR.
Bea175: I have owned some dandy 22's in my lifetime including Winchester 52's, 75's, 61's along with a bunch of Remington bolt actions that shot well.
And thats what I base my "favoritism" on - accuracy!
Nowadays I have three real accurate "favorite" 22's!
#1: Remington 40X with 27 1/4" heavy barrel and it uses a Nikon Monarch 5.5x16.5 scope.
#2: Kimber M-22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette) with 24" barrel and it has a Nikon 4.5x14 scope on it.
#3: Ruger 10/22 Deluxe with a Lilja 22" extra heavy, match chambered, stainless steel barrel. This Rifle switches scopes often but right now it has a Leupold 4x12 A/O variable scope on it.
A nostalgic "favorite" of mine though is an old Remington bolt action Model 511-P clip fed gun with an old timey scope on it.
I was about 5 years old when my father took my older brother and me to a pawn shop on Seattles Skid Road (Row) and paid $11.00 for this Rifle (used). While there I made the unknowing social faux pas of asking that pawn shop owner what the numbers tatooed on the inside of his forearm were for!
My father apologized for me and we had a little talk on the way home.
This was "MY" (and my brothers) first Rifle.
Many years later I became a Public Safety Officer (policeman) in that same city and eventually made close friends with that fine and gentle man from the pawn shop, and I bought several more firearms from him.
Gee, that little Rifle was purchased for my brother and I about 57 years ago now - time really flies.
It still shoots pretty well though.
Long live 22 Rifles!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Dis un!! It's a Kimber Hunter 22, topped by a Leupold VXI 2-7x33mm set parallax free at 50 yards. [img][IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/Phil-Nesmith/Squirrel18of2008-2009season009.jpg[/img][/img]
Remington 511. Got it for my 12th birthday, 1955. Got a Weaver B4 scope for it at Christmas. Shot it and squirrel hunted with it so much I was surprised if something didn't drop when I pulled the trigger. Damn near stayed in the woods during hunting season. I've had better looking 22s, more expensive 22s and more accurate 22s but that's the one.
my Rem 572 fieldmaster pump shoots anything and is dead on,nice big game rifle sights for my less than stellar eyesight.
For accuracy, my custom M12/15 Martini.
For aesthetics, my 1922 M2 Springfield.
For nostalgia, my Marlin 81DL that I learned to shoot with 45 years ago.

Many .22's have come and gone over the years, but these three are my constants.
I've had a few: Ruger 10/22, Savage bolt, Rem 581, Rem 572BDL, and an ABolt 22. And my newest is a CZ452 American.

As for a favorite, I think the new CZ is going to take the cake soon. One of my favorite kills with a 22LR was this called bobcat, he took two rounds (Golden bullet HPs) from the Rem 581:
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr
[Linked Image]
Stevens, 22-410.
Marlin 39A.

Shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yards with target ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This little Ruger is the most accurate .22 I've ever had. Installed a trigger kit and Its easy a 1/2" rifle with standard ammo.

[Linked Image]
This was my fav today, Winchester 61. Tomorrow, who knows...

[Linked Image]
Hard to beat the Ruger 10/22

[Linked Image]
Probly the third Cooper from the top:

[Linked Image]

or the third Anschutz from the top:

[Linked Image]

I'm not really sure.
I like you're thinkin fw707, real nice set of rimfires!
Suhl 150 action, Benchmark barrel, Bruno/McMillan Edge stock, custom painted with House of Kolor paint, 2oz factory trigger, Hoehn tuner, Weaver T36 scope

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Every now and then I get lucky and shoot a few of these.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nylon 66, of course. Is there another?
I see there's some 581s fans here.
Mine has been re-stocked with a 541T stock. It had a miserably hard trigger which worked fine with a new spring and some polishing. I also had to tinker with the barrel channel a lot to get it to shoot well.

[Linked Image]
Mine is my 67 Boys Rifle - Because it has sentimental value.

It was 1985, I was 11 and had sold nightcrawlers during the summer to buy a .22. I went with my Grandpa to an auction that had a .22 listed. I had $52 dollars in my pocket and just had to have that rifle. It felt perfect in my hands and was the prettiest piece of metal and wood I had ever seen. I stood by the hayrack the entire auction waiting for the crowd to join me. Soon the auctioneer was lift the .22 over his head and the bidding started. I never had a chance to raise my hand. It went from 40, 45 ,50, 55, 60, 65, SOLD so fast. I was looking down at the ground with water in my eyes when I heard a man say "here's your rifle son". I looked up and the auctioneer was handing me that .22 rifle. My Grandpa had been bidding behind me. I held the rifle, told my Grandpa thanks, and I ran home with my feet never hitting the ground. When I think of my Grandpa that look and smile he gave me when I told him thanks is the one I remember.

ddj
My Marlin 39 or the CZ 452 American or the CZ 452 Trainer with a Williams peep. They all shoot o so good and I have spent many a hour plinking with them. Cant choose between them.
If not my 77/22 VMBZ (22WMR), then its one of these two:

[Linked Image]
Right now, I'm crazy fond of my CZ with nice compact scope, and custom stock.
Outstanding groups with RWS subsonic, all shots go well inside the crosshairs- the intersection of those dam hairs is over half an inch at 50 yards. I never put a really big scope to see what it would do, but its dam handy walking around the woods.

edit: dang, they're too big for dailup, but heres the link

http://claudegatewood.com/html/cz_452_4.html
Nylon 66, of course. Is there another?

You got that right. The only product that I ever bought where the product lived up to the advertising hype. I've been testing mine since 1966 and it has never failed to cycle and I've been rough (on purpose) on it. I left it leaning against a tree in my front yard all winter one time and I regulary used the barrel to reach out an pull dead bullfrogs to me when I worked on a fish farm. I left it in an open top jeep for a solid year while working on that fish farm and shot frogs and snakes every day while minnow feed and dust would blow around while feeding. I never cleaned it and it never failed. I would still trust it before any other gun that I have. miles
This is todays fav, Remington 512-X in mint condition with a period correct Weaver fixed 4. Just refinished the stock, gun is real accurate and has some of the nicest wood I have ever seen on a factory Remington 22........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow....there are some REALLY nice .22 that you guys have shown!

These are probably my two favorites (today whistle)

A custom CZ 452 [img][IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/Damariscotta/689_8992.jpg[/img][/img]

and my 40X sporter
[img][IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/Damariscotta/rem40X2.jpg[/img][/img]

Nice CZ, who did the stock?
I actually did the stock work on that one....do it as a hobby and this was the first one that I ever completed for myself crazy (can't find the time to get done what I should be doing let alone something for myself!).

By the way that is one beautiful piece of wood on your 512-X!

PennDog
i'm surprised nobody has put a savage markII up on here. i have 2 of these that are almost the same. one has had the barrel set back and a match chamber put in it. the other is stock with a trigger job, recut crown and glass and piller bedded. they shoo very very well. i have a tuff time picking just one myself so i will post all 3. [Linked Image]
this was my match rifle from last year. it is a suhl 150. it is factory barreled with a tuner. the trigger is 2oz's. it has a piller in the front bolt hole and is glass bedded. [Linked Image]
this is this years match rifle. it is a hall action with a lilja barrel. it has a fudd tuner,jewel triger(2oz's), weaver t36 scope, hall rings and a sweet walnut stock. it shoots very very very very well. [Linked Image]
[quote=Andre][Linked Image]
Ansch�tz 1418
Me too, mine is just like Andre's so I borrowed his picture, except I took off the white line spacer.
PennDog, the 40X is a jewel!!
Any more pictures? grin
fw707: This is the only other photo that I have of the 40X - it is a real sweetie, shot the best group ever with a .22 @ 50yd outdoors with this gun that came in @ 0.11" (averages right around 0.25"). It could probably do better if I was a better shot grin

[img][IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/Damariscotta/695_9521.jpg[/img][/img]
It is a Remington 541-T with a Burris 3X-9X-32 Compact scope.
My fave .22 rifle is the only .22 rifle I presently own - a Marlin 70HC. It's semi auto, magazine fed, and sports a very nice 4X Nikon. It is the first firearm I ever purchased.

Now I know there are better .22 rifles out there, but I've had this thing for about 18 years and she still keeps bringing a smile to my face.

One day I'd like to get a nice bolt action job (maybe a CZ or a Savage) and probably also a Ruger 10/22 (to compliment my MKIII 22/45 and my Single Six).

These days, with ammo prices so high and the recession and all, you just can't beat a .22 for cheap plinking fun.
Mine is my Marlin 39A. Just something nostalgic about a lever action 22, makes me feel like a kid again.
Originally Posted by PennDog
fw707: This is the only other photo that I have of the 40X - it is a real sweetie, shot the best group ever with a .22 @ 50yd outdoors with this gun that came in @ 0.11" (averages right around 0.25"). It could probably do better if I was a better shot grin

[img][IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/Damariscotta/695_9521.jpg[/img][/img]

Thank you for the picture!! wink
The 40X sporters and the 52 sporters are the absolute kings of the rimfire world.
I'd love to own just one of either before they throw the sod in my face. grin
I have/had 2 Win. M-63 simi-autos, one that I shoot deer with for a fencing crew in old Mexico many years ago. The other was a highly Customized M-63 win. rifle I built and sold recently for $4500.

They are super accurate rifles and beautiful in design..I also like the straight lever Marlin 39s..and of course the Win. M-52 is always desirable.
Tough question - but I'd have to say my Brooks-kitted CZ452 Varmint. It easily shoots 3/8" or better 5-shot 50yd groups all day long - with bulk ammo.
Originally Posted by fw707
Originally Posted by PennDog

Thank you for the picture!! wink
The 40X sporters and the 52 sporters are the absolute kings of the rimfire world.
I'd love to own just one of either before they throw the sod in my face. grin

A friend of mine had a 40X Sporter that was a Tournament D grade. Took him four years to get from the custom shop @ Remington. Worth every second of the wait. It has the most drop dead gorgeous stock I have ever seen in my life. The engraving was superb. It broke my hart to put Buhler bases and rings because it covered up the squirrel on the receiver ring. At the current market value today, I would have to put a price north of 25K. He paid right at 4500.00 dealer price in 1974. The absolute top drawer .22 rifle I ever saw.
Have had two 77/22's... this is my current. Both have consistently shot 1/2" five-shot/50 yards groups with el-cheapo American Eagle HVHP ammo. Go figure. Hard not to like that...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You are right about that Brad grin ANY .22 that is a consistant 1/2" shooter at 50yds is a keeper (IMHO)!

and 3sixbits....man I would love to see that rifle!

PennDog

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Custom Ruger 10/22 copy of the original Fingergroove model...I might just keep this one it feels very sweet
My favorite is a CZ 452 Style. It shoots great with Federal bulk ammo.
Anschutz 54 sporter
Tip926,
You refer to the Ansch�tz 54 sporter. Is this the 1710 rifle, like this one ?
[Linked Image]
http://photobucket.com/sqweeler i5 Beside's my 2 Rem 37's and Sako Finnfire Varmint this is my new toy.A 1982 Anschutz 1422 54 actioned sporter
OK, I see. Trigger(s) and stock design vary but the 54 action is the same.
Originally Posted by Andre
Tip926,
You refer to the Ansch�tz 54 sporter. Is this the 1710 rifle, like this one ?
[Linked Image]

Oh snap, double triggers.....

wheres the green with envy smiley
Hard to say "favorite".
We have Winchester, Remington, Savage, Marlin, Taurus, Ruger, a LH CZ 452, maybe more. Single-shots, repeaters in bolt, auto, lever, and pumps.
I like them all, but I seem to grab a sixty plus year old Marlin 39A more than any, whether for fun or small vermin shooting.
Here is todays fav.......... 10/22, 20 inch SS GM barrel, Kidd trigger, Bell & Carlson Anschultz stock, Mueller 8.5x25x50 AO, bolt work by Dirty Bore.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Beauty of a rifle! I love the old Rem's and Winchester 22's.

My 10/22 prob. gets to see more action today.It's handy to carry and the accuracy is good.

My Grandson has a nice Voere , and it's a tack driver! I sneak it out every chance I get. I've tried to trade him a couple of 10/22's for it, but he's not going for it.lol!
Originally Posted by passport
Here is todays fav.......... 10/22, 20 inch SS GM barrel, Kidd trigger, Bell & Carlson Anschultz stock, Mueller 8.5x25x50 AO, bolt work by Dirty Bore.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

honestly how are you guys measuring group sizes?? that is way over .454!!! if you look it is 5 bullet wholes wide from top to bottum and 4 bullet wholes wide side to side!!!! no place near a .454!!!!
Originally Posted by rangelonger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

honestly how are you guys measuring group sizes?? that is way over .454!!! if you look it is 5 bullet wholes wide from top to bottum and 4 bullet wholes wide side to side!!!! no place near a .454!!!!

Looks to me like 3 holes wide and tall - or thereabouts. It's a pretty small target, for scale, but look at the two holes that are actually full-diameter. The rest are just tears leading into the holes (which were presumably the first two shots).

Three shots wide, from outside edge to outside edge, would be about .66". But we don't measure edge to edge when comparing group sizes because different calibers would not compare well. Most of us measure center to center for group size. This is why some rifles are said to shoot groups that are smaller than their caliber. The easy way to get "center -to-center" measurements is to measure edge to edge, and then subtract one bullet diameter. Therefore, .66 minus .22 would leave .44. Look familiar?

Am I right, Passport?
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by rangelonger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks to me like 3 holes wide and tall - or thereabouts. It's a pretty small target, for scale, but look at the two holes that are actually full-diameter. The rest are just tears leading into the holes (which were presumably the first two shots).

Three shots wide, from outside edge to outside edge, would be about .66". But we don't measure edge to edge when comparing group sizes because different calibers would not compare well. Most of us measure center to center for group size. This is why some rifles are said to shoot groups that are smaller than their caliber. The easy way to get "center -to-center" measurements is to measure edge to edge, and then subtract one bullet diameter. Therefore, .66 minus .22 would leave .44. Look familiar?

Am I right, Passport?

That is exactly how I do it. Spot on!
Originally Posted by bea175
My favorite is my Kimber of Oregon in Left Hand . This is one of the most accurate 22 rifles i have owned. This rifle loves the CCI Mini-Mag HP'S . The scope is Leupold 6x42 Target or Tactical with the Mil-Dot Reticule and AO, this scope is great on this rifle . This is one great rifle for Squirrel Hunting .

[Linked Image]

I have one like that, but probably a bit earlier as mine has a straight bolt handle. It's one of my favorites.

Of course when my low wall gets back from the gunsmith, I'll have another one to show and tell.

Paul

My two favorites are Winchester 69A and Winchester 75 target. The 69A has a Weaver V22 and was my first gun. It's extremely accurate. The 75 target is the gun I shot small bore with and had no trouble beating out the "big guys" more than a few times.

Mike
I love 22 rifles. My current favorite is a Ruger 10/22T.

Great stories, good pictures. Keep 'em coming.
I have two Winchester model 52's. One is a bull gun of 1939 vintage. It is heavy as hell, but accurate enough to make you cry. My other 52 is a target barrel of medium weight and 1946 vintage. Unfortunately, it came with no sights, but I got my hands on an old Lyman 422 4X scope to mount onto the barrel blocks. If it is anywhere near as accurate as my bull gun, small game within 100 yards of me will not last long.
the 39A golden mountie marlin,this lil lever gun will just drive tacks.........
This is my favorite pair to look at. Cooper American Anschutz's with a couple of upgrades.

[Linked Image]
These are 2 of my favorites to use. The bottom one is a Cooper 36 Fwt. and the middle is a Cooper Jackson Squirrel w/ Leupold 6.5x20 EFRs
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by coyo
the 39A golden mountie marlin,this lil lever gun will just drive tacks.........

Ditto
This Ruger International 10/22,1967 with Unertl 4x Hawk
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GoWyo Woodwise, it's the BRNO - 04/07/09
Impulse buy that I've never regretted. For .22lr, I get a kick out of my Marlin 39TDS.

[Linked Image]

BRNO ZKM 611 .22 WMR wearing a leupold 3x9 compact in Millett rings. I'd like to find some shorter Warnes or BRNO rings. While great for iron sights, that hogback stock's drop is a little severe for optics. Even with my large melon.
A Remington 541T with a Burris Compact 3X-9X-40 scope with the parallex set for 50 yards.
This is the only .22 rifle I own outside of a beater 10/22. Just got it and have about 100 rounds thru it. This is the best I could do with cheap federal champion bulk ammo that I get at Academy for $13.95/brick of 500. Weaver 4x shotgun scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kimber HS
Leupold 3.5-10x50mm EFR

[Linked Image]
This was my fav today, Winchester 61. Tomorrow, who knows...

[Linked Image]

My favorite too..........Need to get one some day!

Now I get along with a Browning T-2 and an original Winchester 52B.
Had a discussion today at the shooting club with an old buddy. He is looking for the most accurate over the counter auto loading .22. The 10/22 got mentioned but the conclusion was that there would be little left of the Ruger after all the needed conversion parts were bought.

What thoughts does everyone have regarding stock over the counter auto loaders or does no one here bother with them? The guy who is inquiring isn't short of money, he just doesn't want to wait months or years to obtain a slew of parts and then have to find a suitable gunsmith to assemble it all.

What kind of accuracy can be expected with such a gun?

Jim
For auto loaders I prefer the Remington 552, it's a bit pricey but mine shoots almost anything into .75" at 50 yards.
The Remington 597 has a good reputation for accuracy but they have a mediocre rep for reliability.
There is no question about which is my favorite .22. It is an old Marlin Mountie. It is my favorite rifle period. Even though I have some other guns that are "worth" many times more. I find the most enjoyment with my Mountie.

It feels like an extension of my arm.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is a favorite pic. It turn out just right for whatever reason. A perfect windless and very cold day out on the high desert with numb fingers and icicles hanging off my beard.

[Linked Image]
I have a few different ones, but if I could only have one it would be my first.
Marlin 39A
Thor
What scope is that?
First is my 541-S currently set up for rimfire silhouette.

[Linked Image]

Second is the first rimfire I ever bought, a 1973 9422.

[Linked Image]\

And my third favorite is a mint Remington 37 with a Fecker scope.

[Linked Image]

I also have a tricked out 10/22, just like everybody else, but all it does is shoot CCI Stingers into 1/2" at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

My kids really like the Stars and Stripes on this Marlin 2000.

[Linked Image]

I've got a couple of 40-X's a 52D and H&R M12 and a few others, but these are my favorites.

Fast Ed
My favorite is my Browning BL-22, with a nice little Simmons scope. Not the most accurate of the many .22's I own, but it carries like a dream, and shoots well. It is the last 22 I would ever give up.
Martini mod 15 with aperture sights.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
This is a favorite pic. It turn out just right for whatever reason. A perfect windless and very cold day out on the high desert with numb fingers and icicles hanging off my beard.

[Linked Image]

Either that is a small gun or a huge rabbit! Might be under gunned with a 22! smile
I have two ... a Rem 512A bolt action and a Win 190 autoloader. I've had them both since the 60's and definitely prefer the 512. My brother and I learned to get the most out of these on our "poor boy" budgets and consistently picked off ground squirrels at 75~100 yds with open sights. They would only give you one chance, so we got real steady with those iron sights. If you missed, you suffered a steady stream of howls from the "digger gang". Every once in a while a 'yote would make the mistake of getting within range. Man those were the days.
My Anschutz 54 sporter, an early one with the ugly rollover cheekpeice, that shoots one hole groups at 50 yds. with match ammo it likes and .5 inch groups with everything else.
The next one I am about to buy!
Well since I've only got one 22lr rifle so it my left-handed CZ 452 American with McMillan stock, R&D trigger guard, Leupie VXII 3-9x33mm EFR scope.

Leo
My favorite 22LR is marked "Cartridge .220 Long Rifle". A model 12 BSA Martini with the original micrometer peep sites. Almost 100 years old. Won many a match with rifle, often agaist scoped bolt rifles. I have been told BS when I say it will shoot MOA at 200 yards. If the wind is calm and I do my part it really will shoot MOA at 200.
MY fav is a Marlin "25". IT shoots stingers very well. My sons and I shoot clay pidgeons on a bank at the range at 105 yds.Usually can hit 5 out of 7 on a good day. It has a 4 power Nikon on it. It looks pretty rough, needs reblued and could use a new stock, but gets the job done. IT has an excellent bore. I give $25 dollars for it 25 years ago. A lot of 22s have come and gone , but this one stays. Its a sweet shooter.
Each of the ones below has its own merits. I've bought and sold a lot of .22 rifles over the years. These are what remain.

Top to bottom:

Browning SA takedown 1974, first year they were manufactured in Japan by Browning.

Marlin Golden 39A manufactured in 1984, if I rememeber correctly.

Remingon 572 pump - No idea when it was made. I just saw it, liked it, bought it.

And the separate picture is a little Marlin Papoose in small (20'x22') suitcase. It's comparatively new but I think I'll hold on to it. I've shot it a lot and I'm still amazed by its accuracy. The Marlin Micro-Groove barrel is a great barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Difficult to say which is favorite but two i use most are a fully suppressed 10-22 and a new Browning T-Bolt but also like my Anschutz 1710 and in 17HMR a Winchester 94-17.
[Linked Image]The T bolt with favorite targets
[Linked Image]Alice shooting the 10-22 at empty cartridge cases at unknown distances from 25 to 100m away. Both scopes are old Loopy 3-9x33.
New ones are fun, I kinda like Boggers . . .

[Linked Image]

But one hundred plus year old ones, like this 1890 WRF are even funner . . .
[Linked Image]
As a hobbyist gunmaker for 40 years, I have always intertained the idea of customizing a Win. Mod 63 Auto, but never had time to get around to it...

Well last year I did just that..I added a custom Lothar Walthar barrel, barrel band front sight, quarter rib and it was cut to take Talley QD rings and a Talley slide on peep, barrel band swivel, and all rust blued...I built a straight grip stock with Cresent butt plate and extended the magazine to load in the rear as opposed to a hole in the side of the butt stock. The wood is Russian Circasian Walnut from Bill Dowtins OldWorldwalnut.com and is exhibition plus wood..The end result was a 22 L.R. that shoots a magazine full into under an inch at 75 yards. It is a most beautiful rifle..

The downside or upside, depending on your point of view is several guys saw it and went so deep into their pockets that I had to sell it, couldn't afford not to.

I can't post pictures but I can email pictures to your email, so if interested I will gladly send you a set of photographs of this beautiful rifle..

I am going to build another one just like it soon...
cz 452 or 453 is tough to beat for the money, but cooper makes a decent rifle also.
© 24hourcampfire