Home
Posted By: elim Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/27/09
Which would you rather have a Hammerli 22LR or a S&W 41
Posted By: MnFn Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/27/09
No experience with a Hammerli, but the model 41 I had was a very nice, solid and accurate .22. Easy to break down for cleaning, also.
Gary
Posted By: bea175 Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/28/09
Hammerli , no thanks , I will keep my Model 41
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/28/09
If it's a Hammerli 208s - yes, if it's a Trailside - no.

My 208 was the most accurate .22 semi-auto I've owned (S&W 41, High Standard, Pardini). The only .22 handgun that was more accurate was my Freedom Arms 252 (and it was too friggin' heavy to enjoy..59 ounces).
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/28/09
Originally Posted by elim
Which would you rather have a Hammerli 22LR or a S&W 41

Hammerli is a free pistol made to shoot the ISU courses.

The S&W 41 was designed to shoot the 2700. Pretty hard to compare the two courses to fire on.

I smithed for the Army AMU and smithed both, the High Standard and the 41. Hands down the High Standard was the team favorite. It was not however the gunsmiths favorite. Scores I shot for the regional team were never matched by anyone shooting the High Standards. I only would shoot the M-41. It never broke my heart that High Standard or as I called them low or no Standard went out of business.

Time spent with the 41 was always good time for me.

The 41 was never intended to shoot as a free pistol, so I can not answer your question.
Posted By: elim Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/28/09
Thanks guys.my goal was to find a very accurate 22.It will be used to hunt quail and such.Some thing just a little smaller would be nice.Is there any thing out there that would fit this mold?
If you can find a 5" lightweight barrel for the 41, that would work. It's called the Field barrel, basically a short 7 3/8" barrel (some discussion as to whether S&W made them as 5" or literally cut them down from 7 3/8" barrels). It makes the 41 into a great holster pistol. Good luck finding one at a reasonable price, they are pretty desirable.

Another alternative might be a Tactical Solutions upper for the Ruger, they are typically accurate enough for small game hunting and can be fitted with a lightweight dot if you want. On a 22/45 the 4.5" barrel will weigh 24 ounces without the suppressor. There's just not a real small semi auto that has enough accuracy for small game. I have a Walther TPH that I carry sometimes, but it's not quite accurate enough.

If I were looking for a lightweight tag along, that's accurate enough for small game hunting, I'd look to a S&W Kit Gun. My 39 year old S&W Model 43 Airweight Kit Gun (15 ounces) will give a pretty good account of itself.

[Linked Image]
JB in SC those Tactical solution uppers are way cool.Have you ever shot a MK III with one of these barrels?Do you think the S&W41 would be better than a MKIII with a TS barrel?Why?
JB what are these barrels made of?Every thing I see is anodized which tells me aluminum or titanium.I'm sure these are not aluminum are they?
I've shot a couple of Rugers with the TS upper, they are perfect on on a MK III 22/45. Sure makes for a light and fairly compact pistol. They are anodized alloy with a steel barrel liner. A few Mk III's I've tried had pretty decent triggers, but they won't compare to a Model 41 without some significant trigger work.

With a TS, a low profile holosight can be mounted or taken off in a minute.

A 41 would be great if you could find the lightweight field barrel as an option. Otherwise you'd be carrying a 44 ounce holster gun. But, I doubt you could do better accuracy wise and the triggers are generally excellent. My 41 with the 5" lightweight was very handy (it was shipped as a 5" lightweight). One of my buddies has it (I sold it to him in '72) and he ain't parting with it.

You're getting into some significant money at that point.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/28/09
I have been shooting a SW41 and various High Standard Trophy and Citations since the 1960s.

I was able to hold my own with anyone with the SW41, but I have also shot the Benelli, FAS, Walther OSP and Hammerli autopistols and the Hammerli free pistols, and must say that for rapid fire and duel events, the Walther and Hammerli were more modern designs and superior in ever way to the 41. At 50 meters, the longer barrel 41 and Citation had the edge for me.

But remember, a Walther or Hammerli costs more than twice as much as the older 1958 design Smith & Wesson.

You can't tell the difference unless you are already a consistent 95% shooter, and pick up another 2%.

These days, I use a High Standard and SW41 for squirrel and rabbit hunting. My longest head shot on a squirrel was 75 yards stepped off to a tall oak tree, made with the 41 and Federal Match.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/28/09
Originally Posted by Lee24
I have been shooting a SW41 and various High Standard Trophy and Citations since the 1960s.

I was able to hold my own with anyone with the SW41, but I have also shot the Benelli, FAS, Walther OSP and Hammerli autopistols and the Hammerli free pistols, and must say that for rapid fire and duel events, the Walther and Hammerli were more modern designs and superior in ever way to the 41. At 50 meters, the longer barrel 41 and Citation had the edge for me.

But remember, a Walther or Hammerli costs more than twice as much as the older 1958 design Smith & Wesson.

You can't tell the difference unless you are already a consistent 95% shooter, and pick up another 2%.

These days, I use a High Standard and SW41 for squirrel and rabbit hunting. My longest head shot on a squirrel was 75 yards stepped off to a tall oak tree, made with the 41 and Federal Match.

To the OP;

Please consider the source of posts.

Such as disregard anything from Liar24.
In other words, Numbrod has no experience with these handguns, and nothing to add to the discussion.
Actually, I have considerable experience with the S&W 41, as can be verified by isaac, 7x57Steve, and a couple other guys with whom I hunt each year.

I have no experience with the Hammerli, so between the two, I can't and won't voice an opinion.
Originally Posted by Lee24

Prove it.
Numbrod, if you are so obsessed with "proof", why don't you offer proof of your claims to know anything?

I guess I could enter a match again, but I doubt you would make the cut to shoot against me.

Actually, if you aren't going to answer the original post questions, why don't you go away and sulk elsewhere?
Posted By: elim Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/29/09
Do you two need a room?
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 03/30/09
A couple of my hunting buddies and I do and annual hunting for rabbits with .22 handguns only trip. they don't hold anything over my long barrel old Ruger 10" barrel fixed sight, single action. Sight radius is always a big plus. If the 41 didn't have such a big grip, I would happily carry the 41.
Posted By: Tod Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 04/14/09
Originally Posted by JB in SC

If I were looking for a lightweight tag along, that's accurate enough for small game hunting, I'd look to a S&W Kit Gun. My 39 year old S&W Model 43 Airweight Kit Gun (15 ounces) will give a pretty good account of itself.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful 43. I have a few Kit guns but no lightweights, and certainly nothing so nice looking. But they are my favorite pack-alongs.

[Linked Image]

I just found a 63 to add to the mix.
Posted By: marku Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 04/14/09
My father owns a High standard trophy and victor. He also owns a Model 41 with a 5.5" heavy barrel and the 7.5" barrel with red dot on it. (I think those are the lengths on the barrel?) They all shoot really, really good. Far better than I could ever shoot a pistol.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Hammerli VS S&W 41 - 04/15/09
Tod, that must be a Model 51 on the bottom. Not common around here. The last 51 I saw was a real beater with a NIB price tag. I picked up a decent 651 a few years ago, but it wouldn't shoot worth two cents.

I picked up my 43 about two years ago, the front sight has some surface discoloration on one side but I have a spare should I ever decide to replace it. I couldn't pass it up as I've only seen one locally in the last 15 years.

I'm not sure it had been fired, but had no box or paperwork. I figured it wasn't close to 95% with the front sight issue so started shooting it some. Dang thing has tight chambers, but empties extract easy.

Back in the early 70's dealers couldn't give them away. I can't say how many I passed up. They were selling for around $100 then.

Best,
JB
© 24hourcampfire