Home
Posted By: jimmyp little 2 x 7 Rimfire Leupold - 04/20/09
some sort of Ruger 10-22 followed me home yesterday, the one with the better wood on it. I decided that I needed a rimfire rifle over a pistol. The folks at the store also had a little 2 x 7 Leupold for $219.00 which had a fine duplex in it. I am thinking of getting that but I think someone mentioned a Weaver that was about $150 or so which I need to look into, but the Leup looked real nice.
What type of rings would you use on this little rifle with that scope?
Posted By: T_O_M Re: little 2 x 7 Rimfire Leupold - 04/20/09
I've got one of those little Leupolds. Make sure you get to twist the power adjustment before you buy. The optics on mine (VX I serious) are great but the power ring is tight enough to peel skin off my fingers as it rotates. I put it back in the box 'til I have time to send it to the factory for an attitude adjustment.

On my first 10/22 I used it on I used Talley low ringmounts. Pretty good. I have trouble though with stripping the threads out of the receiver which, as you know, is aluminum, not steel. I had to have the receiver and Talley rings opened up for the next size bigger screws once and the 2nd time it started to get back I just got rid of the gun.

On my current 10/22 I've got a Volquartsen barrel with their cantelever mount which actually bolts to the steel shank of the barrel. So far no problems.

Tom
Posted By: Tod Re: little 2 x 7 Rimfire Leupold - 04/23/09
Ditto on TOM. I bought a Leupold 3-9x EFR and it felt like the power ring was lok-tited. I had to send it back and it is now acceptable. I've had a number of recently purchased Leupolds with very stiff power rings. Someone needs to get their QA fixed.
The Weaver version is very good too. The reticle is a tad thicker. Weaver makes them in both 2.5-7x and 3-9x AO rimfire. Got both.
Posted By: Cron Re: little 2 x 7 Rimfire Leupold - 04/26/09
Good info here. I own both the Leupold 2x7 and the Weaver 3x9 rimfire models. The Leupold DOES have a very stiff power ring but is otherwise an excellent scope.
The Weaver has a variable objective and is just as sharp as the Leupold. I prefer the Weaver for the money.
© 24hourcampfire