Home
max price new/used would be $200. i've been killing nuisance squirrels with a hand-me-down marlin tube-fed semi-auto. but i'd like a magazine or single shot bolt action.

are the savage bolt rimfires as accurate as the centerfires, which always have been excellent for me?

i gave one of my sons a marlin magazine-fed bolt rifle for his fifth christmas that i converted to singleshot. he's 21 now and would not give up that shortened-stock little cheapo for anything. it flat out shoots.
i like lurking in pawn shops ...
Remington 581. A bit light, but accurate, well made, and sized for an adult. Available 150 - 200 dollars.
Bender is sopt on. The 5 series are good too, 511, 512 repeters and the 510 single shot can all be had for under 200, they are accurate and full size.
A used Marlin, Mossberg, Savage or Remington bolt action should work for you. The newer Savage .22s are plenty accurate - Ican't speak for ones more than 10 years old or so. Older Marlins, Mossbergs and Remingtons are good. (Older Winchesters bolt action .22s are good, too - but not cheap.)
I have a Marlin 980S that I consider to be "man-sized" and they can often be bought NIB for $200. FWIW, I like the Marlin bolt action rimfires with the sporter weight/contour barrels much more than the comperable Savage rifles, but in the heavy barrel RFs I'd call it a pick-'em draw between the Marlin and the Savage.

I also have a Remington 512 and a 582, but they aren't quite as "man-sized" as the current Marlins.

Good luck!

Jeff
Take a look at the Marlin 925, and handle one. I think you'll be surprised at what you find. My next .22LR will be one of those. It has a good feel and fit about it, for me anyway. smile
I bought the Savage Mk II GL series with a sporter barrel. I can hit clays at 200 yds. The accu- trigger is really nice. Paid $180 for mine several months ago.
Originally Posted by bender
Remington 581. A bit light, but accurate, well made, and sized for an adult. Available 150 - 200 dollars.

Pretty much my thoughts too, if form, fit and function trump "looks."

Remington M581's are solid guns for $100-$250used.
© 24hourcampfire