Home
Posted By: Dan360 Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
I'm looking to scope a Ruger M77/22 standard w/sights. I have some Ruger medium rings. I am looking for a scope to mount on this for squirrel/rabbit/grouse hunting. Nothing super long range. I prefer fixed powers, but I'll do low-power variables. What do you guys have and what would you suggest? I've looked at Weaver Rimfires and Nikon Prostaff.
I have a 4.5x14 vari xiii on my kimber but I am going to try one of the fixed 6 powers with a.o. I have this scope at the house and it seems to be a nice hunting scope but probaly not enough power to shoot tiny groups at 50 yards but I will know more when it warms up.
Dink
Posted By: avagadro Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
My 77/22 wears a M8 6x36. Does alright.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
Hard to beat the simplicity of a leupold M8 6x42 or the newer FX3 6x42. I own both and hard to tell the difference. The M8 is on a Marlin 1894 218 Bee and the FX3 is on a CZ452 in 22 mag.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
Do you guys have your parallax adjusted to a closer range?
Not yet, figure I'll get to it one of these days.

The M8 6x36 on my 77/22 allows me to shoot close to 1/2" at 50 yards with its standard parallax.

I had a M8 6x42 on Mk XXII and it shot in the .4's at 50 yards with its 150 yard parallax. It now wears a 3-9x33 with AO. Not needed, but wanted to give that scope a whirl for sometime. May go back to the 6x42 some day ... I really dig that scope on that rifle.

If you're doing precision shooting it may be an issue, but for plinkin' and ground squirels its just fine.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
I have a couple with Leupold 2X7's that I like fine. A 6X will be blurry if a gopher or squirrel pokes his head up 20 feet away but on 3x you can see them fine.
I have old 3X Weaver on a 17 HMR that can/does/will hit small critters at 100 plus yards. I like the variables but if I was going to use fixed I would choose a smaller power rather than higher for critters, but higher for paper.

To each his own.
Posted By: jmsdad Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
Try this Weaver shotgun scope...

weaver 4x32

I have 4 on my rimfires. 50yd paralax, small and light(9 oz)
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
I love the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR Rimfire scope with the AO. Can't imagine a better scope for .22 Rimfire hunting. Get it, and never look back.
Posted By: passport Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
Im a HUGE fan of a Leupold M8 4x on most any 22, I dont worry so much about parallax either, I find that a consistent cheek weld will cure 99% of those woes.

That or huge glass, but on a standard 10/22 Im a 4x man.
Posted By: D2Junky Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
I have 2-7x33 leups on most of my rimfires. I have the Pentax Gameseeker fixed 6x on my 10/22 Magnum and must say that I love it. I don't think you can beat it for the money.
I have a chance to buy a CZ452 Varmint with a 6-18x50 AO Banner on it. What are your thoughts on that one. I think it's needlessly powerful. Thoughts???
For Huntng and plinking ... yes. For punching paper and getting the smallest groups possible, more X's are always nice.
Got a 4X Compact on my Kimber of O .22 which is similar size to your 77/22. Got it a couple decades ago before Leupold made a dedicated rimfire compact so I sent it to them to have the parallax corrected to 75 yards, which they did for free.

The ocular is a little smaller than I'd like but not bad. Mostly it just fits that rifle to a T.

Killed a lot of ground squirrels with that rifle and scope and never had a problem seeing them well enough to hit them from spittin' range out to over 125 yards or so.

It is by far my favorite rimfire scope since it is pretty much my only rimfire scope. Oh, there is a 4X Busnell Banner .22 on my ancient 10-22 but it is not my favorite.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to look at some 2-7x scopes. I'd like to find one of the new Redfield scopes and see what they are all about.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
Depends.

I'd suggest Simmons .22 mag 4X for guns that are mediocre accurate for short range use. I had one on a 77/22 all weather .22 mag for a while. It got the job done but there were times I felt the need for a little more magnification.

Leupold 2-7X RF special is pretty nice for a little nicer gun. So is their EFR version of the 3-9X compact.

I put a Burris 4-12X AO compact on one rimfire I had. I was not happy with that scope. I couldn't focus such that it was clear at more than one distance, so I had to use the AO to compensate for focus changes with distance rather than for parallax adjustment. It had a lot of curvature / distortion even well away from the edges of the sight picture. And it was way heavier than it's physical size warrants ... same weight as my Leupold full size 6.5-20X.

I'm currently running a Leupold VX II 4-12X on a heavy barreled Ruger 77/17 HMR. Probably don't need quite that much but it's nice when trying to pick out squirrel parts or squirrel eyes when they are hiding in grass clumps.

Tom
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
Leupold makes a nice little 4X RF Special scope that works well for hunting.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/27/10
I'm shooting a Burris FFII with Ballistic plex on my Ruger 77/22 VBBZ, and in a long lifetime of shooting scoped rimfires, that is the BEST scope Ive ever used on a .22...the dotz are spot on, and quick and easy to use when the range extends...

Ingwe
Posted By: DW12 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/28/10
The Burris Timberline, 2x-7x, with the mil dot, would work for me.
It seems to be solid, and worth the price.
I have not used it yet.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-timberline-2x-7x-26mm-riflescope.html
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/28/10
Certainly depends on the caliber, and the use.

For my .22s I like a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20. It's a good quality scope and I use it when I'm plinking or hunting with the rifle.
I like a more powerful scope on my .17HMRs. I have two: A S&B 2.5-10x56 on my Anschutz 1717D, and a Kahles 2.5-10x50 on my SAKO Quad. The Kahles is adjustable for different calibers with a turn of the turret.

On my Volquartsen .17HM2 I use a Leopold 1.5-6x42 LRP scope. Hust right for the range of this unique caliber.
Posted By: slingshot Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/29/10
I'm a big fan of both the Weaver 2.5-7x and 3-9x rimfire scopes. Check them out.
Posted By: RickF Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/29/10
If you can find one, the Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X40 with A/O. Great 22 rimfire scope.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/29/10
Originally Posted by Dan360
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to look at some 2-7x scopes. I'd like to find one of the new Redfield scopes and see what they are all about.
Will be interesting to see what is offered in the Redfield line now that Leupold has bought them.
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/29/10
I put decent quality center-fire scopes on my rimfire rifles. Generally, they're just better quality scopes with better light-gathering cabilities. While they cost a bit more initially, you only have to buy 'em once and rarely ever have to replace 'em.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: slingshot Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/29/10
The shotgun scopes work well with rimfires and they are often on sale.
Posted By: Royce Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/29/10
Wholesale Sports in town is selling the Weaver 2X7 stainless right now for $100- I bought one and they seem to be great scopes- very clear.

Royce
Posted By: EWY Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/29/10
I'm happy with the Weaver 2.5 - 7x.

Ernie
Posted By: lev83 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 01/31/10
I have a Ruger 77/22 with a Leupold M8 in 4X. Cant think of a better combination.
I have Weaver K-6 6x fixed power scopes on a .22 and a .22 WRM. I think they are just perfect for rimfires.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/02/10
Got a Leupie 3-9 EFR rimfire scope on my Anschutz .22 mag, it's a wonder scope for a rimfire, IMO.
Posted By: jkingrph Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/02/10
I have several equipped with the Leupold 4x rimfire scope. One is on a little CZ 527 22 hornet.
Posted By: Ella Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/02/10
Right now a 4x sightron sii (center fire scope). nice early morning, evening, slanty light scope for squirrel hunting. But I'm wanting to try one of those 2x7 weavers. Little more field of view would be nice when they're scampering. I never could figure out if parallax would be a problem w. a centerfire scope. I blame it sometimes when I miss.
Posted By: txduckman07 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/02/10
I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on my CZ452 Varmint 17HMR. It was sitting in my safe when I bought the rifle. Magnification is enough. Eventually I'll spring for 4-12 with AO, but for now, this one works fine.
Seriously thinking about a Mueller APV for my new CZ453. Dealer in Canada is only 250 miles from me. (4.5-14x40 AO)
Posted By: mp44 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/07/10
I like the Weaver Rimfire scopes. At present I have 2 of the Weaver R7s 2.5-7X28.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/07/10
I have three Leupold 3X9X A/0 on my rimfires
Posted By: whitedogone Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/13/10
I'm not sure what I'd go with on a .22. But, for the 17 it's real hard to beat the Mueller APV for the $.
Posted By: 300grains Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/13/10
I have a Swarovsk 4-12x50 on my CZ 452 American. It is a good combination for my purposes.
I have several rimfires, and if I had to put my eggs in one basket, it'd be a vintage, steel bodied Weaver K4 for an all around scope.

I am using several and very pleased with them for their performance, durabliity and price.

I do have some vintage Redfields too that are hard to beat.

dave
Posted By: blackwinch Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/15/10
Originally Posted by Dan360
I'm looking to scope a Ruger M77/22 standard w/sights. I have some Ruger medium rings. I am looking for a scope to mount on this for squirrel/rabbit/grouse hunting. Nothing super long range. I prefer fixed powers, but I'll do low-power variables. What do you guys have and what would you suggest? I've looked at Weaver Rimfires and Nikon Prostaff.
If your intention is to use it for hunting as you stated above my vote is for either a Leupold 4X Rimfire or 3-9X Rimfire. Both are nice and compact and have loads of eye relief and sport very bright glass...Clean used ones can be found for good prices too...And nothing beats the Leupold warranty.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/15/10
I like this one more than any other I've tried so far. It's a Burris 4-12 Compact rimfire.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
It has a thin but useable reticle and the A/O is a nice feature for a rimfire. I've used centerfire scopes with a non A/O at close ranges and have had problems before.
[Linked Image]

The scope has target turrets which I thought were cool when I bought it but I've yet to use them after the initial setting. The eye relief and "eyebox" are generous enough on the later models of these. The clarity of this scope is what makes it a joy to use for informal target shooting to popping squirrels off the back deck.

I'm not a big fan of Burris scopes in general but I think they hit a home run with this model.

Terry
Posted By: amax155 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/17/10
Doug has 4-12x40 Pentax Gameseeker Demos for 49.99 right now. I just ordered one for my new 10-22. You can't beat that with a stick.
Posted By: HawaiiPD Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/20/10
I like the Kahles CL 3-9 x 42 SF on my Anschutz 1710:

[Linked Image]

CDNN has them on sale for about $600.00
Rimfire is the one application where I prefer a Leupold scope.The shorter eye relief of the VXII 3x9x33EFR makes the scope fit perfectly on my Cooper Jackson Hunters in 22lr,and 17Mach2.
Posted By: johnw Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/21/10
dan,

i bought my first modern day weaver for my youngest son's 9422. it's the rimfire 4X28... i bought another for my sako 78 and plan to put these on all of my scoped rimfires, eventually...
a superb small game hunting optic...
Posted By: PennDog Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/24/10
Pretty much what everyone else has said about Leupold & Weaver rimfire scopes and many of the others mentioned....but one that I have had very good luck with for the price is the Simmons 22Mag 3-9X AO. Natchez has these for under $50 and for that price I really have'nt found anything that even comes close....they are clear, they track well, and they "fit/compliment" most rimfires in size and appearance.....just my two cents grin
Posted By: ishawooa338 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/26/10
There are probably better choices but for me my old Leupold 3 x scopes are perfect. Parallax has never bothered my .22 RF shooting either.
Posted By: rifle Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/26/10
I just got a 3X Malcome,now to find a rifle to mount it on!!
Posted By: orion03 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 02/27/10
I usually just hang an old K4 Weaver on them.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 03/05/10
Leupold Rimfire EFR 3x9x33 by far, though I think it's a lot of money to spend on a scope for a rimfire..............547.
Posted By: shameless Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 03/05/10
Originally Posted by TC1
I like this one more than any other I've tried so far. It's a Burris 4-12 Compact rimfire.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
It has a thin but useable reticle and the A/O is a nice feature for a rimfire. I've used centerfire scopes with a non A/O at close ranges and have had problems before.
[Linked Image]

The scope has target turrets which I thought were cool when I bought it but I've yet to use them after the initial setting. The eye relief and "eyebox" are generous enough on the later models of these. The clarity of this scope is what makes it a joy to use for informal target shooting to popping squirrels off the back deck.

I'm not a big fan of Burris scopes in general but I think they hit a home run with this model.

Terry
I can't find these any where on the Burris web site.How much do these retail for?
Posted By: TC1 Re: Favorite Rimfire Scope - 03/06/10
I think I paid about $275 for it.

Terry
© 24hourcampfire