Home
Posted By: bbgun1 CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/11/10
From bouncing around on several sites I've noticed a couple of common complaints on the Cz452/3 rifles. 1. the cleaning rod scrape- two sources ejector either use a guide or modify your ejector block like a BRNO (see photo) and the sear use a clothes pin or spring clip to hold the trigger back by clipping it to the trigger guard. this will get the sear out of the way -I still like a 17 rod even then. 2. feeding problems- the first thing to check is to see how tight the mag is . It should have a little movement to it (slack)not be solid . Check the mag well ( too tight)and the mag catch(can be too long-replace or file down) I have put metal mag wells in all mine. Thats my 2 cts. any way.
[img]http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/blknwhte1/008-1.jpg[img]
BRNO Mod 2 ejector plate notice the bevel on the inside of the ejector
Posted By: MERWIN Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/11/10
I dumped my 452 Lux at a loss because of the backward safety. If I had tried one first I could have saved myself a lot of money and grief. Why train backwards from every other centerfire hunting rifle I have?

If it wasn't for that, it would have been fantastic with some trigger work or a better trigger.

Should there be a fix for the bass-ackwards safety, I'd buy another one. I really like the fit of the euro stock on the Lux and the sights are perfect.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/11/10
Yep the backward safety is strange but since I'm lefthanded I machined a new lever, welded it to the old lever and now my safety is on the left and it pushes FORWARD to fire.

Perfect!
Posted By: MERWIN Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/11/10
nsaqam,

That's a great mod but I don't have what it takes to do it myself. Having the lever on the left side is even an advantage to a right-hander since it's more natural when the thumb wraps over the grip. You'll see this on older Mauser sporters converted to 2-position low safeties. The lever is on the left for a reason.
Mine is a real PIA, seems to always shoot in the same hole, dam thing. As for cleaning, well I dont clean 22 barrels, so that is a non issue for me.

I think the CZ is the finest 22 on the market for the money hands down and buy a looooooong way too.

Kinda like a Fountain cigarette boat, throttles are on the left vs the right, aint no big deal either.
Posted By: bbgun1 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/12/10
Brownell's used to carry a reverse safety( back for safe) for the CZ's I started to get one for my BRNO Mod 2 but I didn't. This sounds like a good aftermarket part for someone to make- I got use to it but most of the time I'm shooting off the bench so its a non-issue
Posted By: nsaqam Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/12/10
Originally Posted by passport

I think the CZ is the finest 22 on the market for the money hands down and buy a looooooong way too.

+10000

Posted By: cal74 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/12/10
Safety doesn't bother me, but it'd be nice if you could mount the scopes lower, especially the 527's without having the bolt modified.
Bbgun1: I refuse to buy any of the very accurate CZ products with the bassackwards safeties on them!
PERIOD!
Its unsafe for me and those around me!
PERIOD!
But I have this suggestion if YOU decide to try one.
Point #1 of your concerns: CZ 452/3's CAN be cleaned either with a "bore snake" or simply clean it from the muzzle - like this: take the brush off of your cleaning rod and run the rod from the muzzle to the breech - once the rod is in the breech or out the front of the action attach your bore brush or other tip and drag the rod back out the muzzle.
I mean how often needs a CZ 452 in 22 rimfire caliber or etc, need be cleaned?
I have used this "muzzle end cleaning" for many decades on auto's and levers with NO adverse effects. Should do the same for the CZ's and whatever is being "scraped".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: nsaqam Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/12/10
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bbgun1: I refuse to buy any of the very accurate CZ products with the bassackwards safeties on them!
PERIOD!
Its unsafe for me and those around me!
PERIOD!

You have every right to exercise your preference but as for me, being left handed, I often have to use differently operating safeties. Some of my Rem 870 style safeties have been switched to the opposite side and some haven't particularly on borrowed weapons. I make it a point to know what I'm carrying and also NEVER NEVER point my muzzle where it shouldn't be.
I don't feel as if I'm being unsafe in any way no matter the type of safety I'm using.

Also being LHed I have a hard time feeling bad for a RHer who must work on their safety to get it to work as they wish. With a simple mod like the one I described earlier in this thread the CZ safety can work exactly the way you're used to.
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/12/10
The triggers take a bunch of rounds to get personality. Even with that, they shoot bulk ammo in dime size groups at 100y in the ones I have. I liked the metal magazines best, the plastic ones work well (they both empty fast).

I like the old v22 Weaver rimfire scopes with the low rings that mount just over the barrel on the CZ's. The CZ rings height is to high for standard scope sizes.

The iron sights work very well, the play buckhorn and the military style range adjustable.

The first one I bought was a Scout model, must have a few thousand rounds through this one, even with a $30 real old low power scope, it shoots great.
Posted By: bbgun1 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/13/10
Hey. I did not start this thread to bash CZ . I just was commenting on what"problems" I had heard come up. The safety is not a problem - once engaged it locks the striker- very positively- if you can't remember which way to flip it -You need to work on it -there are lots of types of safetys out there they all work differently- I can see where the safety issue might come up Bear or Elephant hunting but I don't worry about a charging Squirrel. The Euro style ( hog back) stocks were designed for Iron sights the American and Varmint are made for scope use. the older scopes seem to be easier to mount since they are do not have the big thick A O's and power rings now on the newer scopes. The only problems I have with CZ's is finding money to spend on them then finding a source for what I want- have you tried to find a 452 FS 22LR lately?? or an American Maple stock or a 453?? I never clean a bolt gun from the muzzle. I clean my 22's very infrequently I think more 22's are harmed by poor cleaning methods than not cleaning them at all. the trigger's do wear in better but a better solution is go to GB and look for 452 trigger - Yodave kit=$18. it has 4 springs and spacers - you can get a great trigger with them.
Posted By: bcp Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/15/10
Since about 1/4 of my rifles have hammers, I find no problem adapting to the CZ safety. Pull back to fire.

Bruce
I don't chamber a round until I am ready to shoot. The safety is rarely used.
I've had ejection issues with a couple 452's, they would extract the spent case OK but would just flip it straight up into the bottom of the scope then about half the time settle down in the ejection port and I would have to flip it out by hand, for this reason I haven't bought another 452, also I never was really in awe of the accuracy I got out of the three or four I tried. If your talkin a "for the money" rifle I guess they would be hard to beat, I do know several other brands that are better shooters but as with most stuff you get what you pay for, and rimfires are no exception.....................547.
Posted By: bbgun1 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/16/10
547 you might try this, it works for some. cut a shim from a coke can to fit under the rear of the ejector plate If one doesn't work try two You can also modify the ejector to be more like the Brno Mod. 2 there is a small bevel on the inside edge [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I don't chamber a round until I am ready to shoot. The safety is rarely used.

Especially with a rimfire. A guy don't need to be packin' a hot 17HMR through the gopher patch!

I'm not sure if I've ever actually used the safety on my 452.

And about the only complaint I have is the finish on the stock. Mine has a couple little chips in it, seems to 'ding' easily. That and the trigger was creepy, easy fix though.
Thanks for the advice BB, I would certainly try your fix but I no longer have a 452, I sent My last one down the road a couple years ago, but I do appreciate you trying to help.................547.
Posted By: DMW Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/16/10
I have a couple of CZ's in varying forms and I agree that they are the best bang for the buck, even at their current prices. I'm not going to comment much on their accuracy because i mainly plink with mine using bulk ammo, but i will say that it does faily well considering.

As far as some of the issues that have been mentioned, the only one that i've experienced was feeding from the magazine and that was only in a 452 chambered in 22wmr (super easy & free mag follower tweek). Except for the initial cleaning, I don't clean the barrel on my 452, just wipe down the exterior and clean the action. When and if it ever comes time to clean the barrel, i would use either a .17 cleaning rod or a bore snake (a .22 bore shake is still pretty tight)

Personally, I don't think the way the safety swings is a big deal, and as someone else mentioned there are several different types out there, so i don't think there is a "wrong" one. The CZ 452/3 safety is very positive (locks the bolt and striker) and once your used to it (takes maybe 5 seconds), it becomes usually becomes a moot point...but if you don't own one i can see it being a "issue".

The one thing i keep in mind especially since i've had it happen to me, is this: No matter the gun, a safety is a mechanical device that will fail...you are the safety.

DW

SamOlson: I can see neither one of you two have ever been Hunting in a "Gopher Patch" - or if you were you forgot what goes on there!
Have either of you "experienced" Gopher Patchers ever spotted a Gopher - chambered a round - and as you were taking up the poundage in the trigger have said Gopher duck down into his hole OR deep grass?
I have!
About 10,000 times - AT LEAST!
Yeah your armament NEEDS a safety ESPECIALLY when Hunting Colony Varmints - one that won't have a built in backwardness that may confuse the user!
Try to remember back to actually Hunting Gophers and this scenario I have described may BECOME familiar to you?
Sheesh.
USE YOUR SAFETIES!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have to say that the safety issue is not a concern to me. I have several types on my rifles - push tang safeties, swing safeties both on the bolt and under it ala old Mossberg rimfires, push buttons on trigger guards, safeties beside the bolt, etc. It isn't hard to figure out which one I am working with at the moment. If I'm not thinking about what I am doing, then I am being unsafe - not matter how the safety works. To say that someone who disagrees with you is inexperienced or "forgotten" is inappropriate, IMHO. They simply have a different opinion. Buy or don't buy a CZ - that is your choice. Isn't great we have a choice?

No one of us walks out in front of the others if there is a round in the chamber - safety or no safety! No one is pointing the gun at anything but "down range" with a round in it on our prairie dog shoots.

It is easy enough to open the bolt. If I am going to wait out the dog and hope he pops back up, I am not going to put the safety on....I'm still looking through the scope!
I wish we had gopher towns, sounds like great fun!!...........547.
Posted By: rifle Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/16/10
Only complaint I have with 3 I now own,is not having a forth...
I have had no issues,it is, what it is...
VarmintGuy!

Senor Rancho spotted the very first varmints of the year on the way to the range this morning! Snow varmints in the field!
Posted By: bbgun1 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/22/10
I replaced the plastic parts on my 452 FS- The mag well and the fore end cap. Got the mag well from brnoman The cap is the same as the 527 FS which is metal Call CZ-USA parts dept- Kinda pricey $35. but it sure looks good. Now i want a 453 American before they dry up.
Stupid Question:What's the difference in a 452 and a 453?
The 452 does not have a set trigger, basically. And the price reflects it.
Posted By: Ron_T Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/28/10
I have no complaints whatsoever concerning my pillar-bedded CZ453 "Varmint" model with a heavy barrel. It shoots good ammo into tiny, tight little 5-shot groups @ 50 yards off the bench-rest... and since I only shoot it from a bench-rest, I never use the safety, and so it's NOT an "issue" with me if the safety is set up backwards.

If the CZ has a tight bore, it doesn't matter to me. I've never "cleaned" .22 rimfires... their bullets are outside lubricated and every time you fire a round, the bullet supposedly "cleans" the bore and lubricates it.

Again, that's another "non-issue" for me. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: Seafire Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 02/28/10
I only have three complaints about my CZ 452..

1. I can't get enough 22 LR ammo to shoot out of it since Obummer got elected..
2. I don't get enough opportunity to get out and shoot it as much as I would like.
3. Somehow it would be peachy keen if it took a Ruger 25 round after market magazine, which would be handy when out shooting sage rats with it..

and a potential 4th dislike, is that I wish I had bought one of the 16 inch barreled ones also, when they were cheap, and these were selling for $149.00!

I paid $199.00 for my CZ 452...brand new..and it has about 30,000 rounds down the barrel so far..
Yep, Seafire. Them is some pretty serious issues ya got there. laugh
Posted By: DMB Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 03/01/10
The only complaint I have with the 452's is that stupid little ball bearing that is used to hold the sear spring in place. Whoever dreamed that up was smokin' something real BAD.
Posted By: bbgun1 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 03/01/10
I was tearing down my new 453 to clean all that grease they put in it and noticed that there is a difference in the 452-453 bolts. The 452 bolt body is round with a slot milled in the bottom.- The 453 has the right side milled flat-this is for the trigger function I assume/guess - but there is enough difference to make them not interchangeable. heres a picture [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 547
I've had ejection issues with a couple 452's, they would extract the spent case OK but would just flip it straight up into the bottom of the scope then about half the time settle down in the ejection port and I would have to flip it out by hand, for this reason I haven't bought another 452, also I never was really in awe of the accuracy I got out of the three or four I tried. If your talkin a "for the money" rifle I guess they would be hard to beat, I do know several other brands that are better shooters but as with most stuff you get what you pay for, and rimfires are no exception.....................547.

I have a 452FS that (used to) hit the scope with the emptys. It happened a lot and was getting to be a pain. I was considering removing the scope and just using the iron sights but I tried something different first. I rotated the scope 90 degrees so that the turret on the right side was now on top. I thought maybe the cases were hitting the turret rather than the body of the scope and it seems I was mostly right. It has helped a lot. Now only occasional cases bounce back down into the breech area. Of course I had to re-zero the scope and try to remember which way to turn the adjustments!
My only complaint is that even old parlor guns usually have a front bead on them. With the 452 American - nothing!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1minute Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 03/09/10
Magazines that project below the lines of ones stock look like hell and don't fit the hand well for carry. Clean that up, and I might try one.
Posted By: jim62 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 03/09/10
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
My only complaint is that even old parlor guns usually have a front bead on them. With the 452 American - nothing!

[Linked Image]

I sure would like to see the set of iron sights that would be HIGH ENOUGH to be comfortably used with that CZ American stock..

The American was designed for SCOPE USE.. Get over it.

If you wanted an iron sighted rifle, you should have bought a Lux or a Trainer model.

CZ makes about SEVEN different verions of the 452 rifles and folks STILL find something to whine about.. Simply amazing.

And BTW, here is the most COMMON complaint about CZ m452 rifles- They tend to make Anschutz Sporter owners REAL SICK when they see how well the CZs shoot for less than half the $$$.
Posted By: TC1 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 03/10/10
I looked at a (I think it was called) "special deluxe" yesterday. The barrel was so long even my bad eye's could make out targets through the iron sights.

When the current batch of new 452's are gone it'll be a sad day.

Stuff I don't like about the cz 452? The trigger guard looks terrible (but it works great), The plastic magazine belongs on a rifle that cost half as much (but it works great too) and I would prefer the safety swing in the other direction, but have no trouble with the way it is now.

Nothing on my list is a deal breaker though.

Terry
Posted By: bbgun1 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 03/10/10
I agree on all points TC1- and its no deal breaker for me either- I got Six now- I don't like the plastic mag well either- I put metal ones in all mine. I like the old mags with the stamped floor plates too. I can live with it like it is but if I can upgrade it I will. I have tried to find out who made the reversed safety that Brownell's used to sell but no luck.
I sighted in my CZ453 American on Tuesday, but could only take it to 25 yards.

I have no complaints! laugh

Here is the target I shot. The first 5 were to get it to centre from a fresh mounted scope (not bore sighted) and the last five went through that neat little hole in the black.

Ya couldn't wipe the smile off my face with a wire brush. Scope is just a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40AO. Group measured .042" centre to centre. Sure it's only 25 yards, but it is what it is.

[Linked Image]

Think I'll keep it. wink
And the group was witnessed, In case anyone was wondering.
Randy
Posted By: bbgun1 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 03/15/10
Well there may soon be a solution to the "backwards " safety on the CZ 452's there is a some one going to make aftermarket stiff for the CZ- Bolt extensions, trigger guards, metal mag wells and a reversed safety- bad news is they are in the UK-so there might be problems with import permits ?? heres their info
http://www.ab-tactical.com/
You would have to do what I did with my marlin and cut your mag down,or have a gunsmith do this,to 2-3 rounds,my Marlin is used in matches ,standing only and a mag would be rightin your palm after while pain and irritation =bad shooting,easy enough if your a skilled metal worker.
There are many safeties on many rifles,I always looked at each one as individual,a true rifleman really has to blow with the wind there,where ever it is,how ever it works,use it ,don't trust it,if it bothers you change it,or leave the rifle empty,,I had one AD when I was a pup ,learned,did not have another.
I see this is real old now but,it was a good topic,I don't know if my mag well is metal I have to look ,my mag is metal but I have feeding issues and it seems I might have an issue cocking sometimes,this is new ,I might have to back off trigger adj.a little and my groups have gone to [bleep] ,I wonder if copper fouling is an issue or just different ammo I was getting tiny groups when new last year I noticed this opening up this year best at 100 is1 1/4"-1 1/2" best when new was 5/16" at 75 yds,I wish I recorded the ammo. Might have been Hornady though
Originally Posted by medicman
And the group was witnessed, In case anyone was wondering.
Randy

No need for witness - I own a 455 Varmint model. Shoots cheapo Federal AutoMatch into tiny little groups also. So does my 455 American in 17 HMR. Safety is a PITA but not so much as to shoot a Savage/Marlin/RAR etc.
I have a fully function brain and central nervous system. I was able to adapt to numerous safeties including the CZ product line both rim fire and center fire. I find most of the more vocal CZ safety complainers are in fact fan boys for another brand. The classic old 452/3 are discontinued and lesser 455 are being phased out. Lets see how many of the safety gripers buy the new CZ 457 with the forward safety.

Go ahead speak up.
so, is the 455 gonna be phased out or is the 457 just an addition? I like the classic looks of the 452/3/5 wayyyy better than the incoming 457 personally. I better get on the stick and get me a 455 American stainess with 22lr and 17hmr barrels I guess.
Big Ed
Posted By: Tom264 Re: CZ 452/3 common complaints - 01/04/19
I just got my 455 SS the other day.
I’m not sure they make a 17hmr for it in SS?
© 24hourcampfire