Home
Posted By: 458 Lott Marlin 39a mountie - 11/10/10
I wasn't even intennding to get another gun... I was in Sitka Deers part of town yesterday, stopped by for a cup of coffee and he handed me a 39a mountie that was in need of some tlc. I've never had a levergun, and the mountie just feels right in the hands. Well I made the mistake of thinking I'd make an offer too low, and he accepted, so it followed me home. It's going to need a fair session of steel wool, wd-40 and some cold blue, clean up the stock as well as a new rear sight. The action is in good shape, well except the firing pin is broken. I'm planning on putting a williams foolproof on it, and think it just might bag some hairs this winter. I know the boys will have fun making empties.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/10/10
You're gonna have fun!
I bought mine from the pawnshop on Tudor Road around the corner from GNG about ten years ago and it wouldn't shoot patterns, much less groups.
2 1/2 hours of bore cleaning later, it is one sweet shooting rifle!

I also put a Williams Fool-Proof on mine.

Ed
Posted By: RickF Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/10/10
Mine is the last 22 I would ever let go. It wears an old 70 series Redfield receiver sight and a sourdough up front.

They are fabulous old rifles!
Posted By: avagadro Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/11/10
... Just when you thought you knew who your friends were one of them goes and pulls some schitt like that!!??!!??

Congrats and enjoy!! wink

Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/11/10
I've got a Mountie 39 with a Williams peep on the back, and a fiber optic on the front.

Great combo for "older" eyes. (I'm 58)

Sure shoots good!

Virgil B.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/11/10
Virgil ... damn it ... just get it over with and adopt me! Hell, inheriting just a couple of your RF's would be worth the price of paperwork smile smile
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/11/10
I traded my extremely accurate Model 39A rifle for a new 39A "Mountie" back when the Mountie model first came out.

Hunted jackrabbits out on the praries in Oklahoma while stationed at Ft. Sill next to Lawton, Oklahoma in 1959... burnt up a "brick" of ammo every weekend and finally got to where I could hit one out of every two running "jacks" with iron sights and a fast lever.

While the Mountie was handier (shorter/lighter)... it was never as accurate as the longer, somewhat heavier, regular 39A rifle with which I use to shoot the stems of ripe apples in two at the tops of the apple trees in the apple orchard next to some deserted railroad tracks I use to go "plinking" on during the long, hazy-lazy days of the summers of my youth.

The largest, reddest apples were always at the tops of the apple trees, but that wasn't a problem with the super-accurate Marlin 39A rifle. I had a good many ripe, juicy, sweet apples outta that orchard after a long, hot 2 or 3 mile walk down those tracks.

Ahhhhhhh, yes... "those-were-the-days"... some really wonderful memories and great apples!~!~! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Posted By: TomC321 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/11/10
My first gun was a Marlin 39A in 1963. In high school I put a lot of rounds through it. Five years ago I found a really nice �69 vintage Mountie. I grabbed it. When I checked the 39A against the Mountie at the range, the Mountie was significantly more accurate. Not only that, the 39A was shooting patterns rather than groups. I finally broke down and sent it back to the factory for a new barrel. Now they are pretty even, but since I have been shooting CAS with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy, I find I prefer the straight grip of the Mountie to my old favorite 39A.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/11/10
The bore looked pretty nasty when I first gazed down it, and a bronze brush dislodged some serious funk, but after a few wet and dry patches it looks pretty good. I think I'll run some jb down it after I get all the fouling out.

I've always wanted a lever gun, had thought about a thutty thutty, but there is something appealing about buying 22rf by the brick vs reloading. I know the kids will enjoy shooting it.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/12/10
George,

Belive it or not, I have only one son, who dosen't show much intrest in guns.

Have given him a 3 screw Ruger single-six, 10/22, Security-six, and a Rem 700 30-06 for his 21st B-day.

Must be all he needs/wants.

Do have one grandson who is showing some intrest. Hope he sticks with it.

He might inhearit some nice guns!(he's already got "dibbs" on my Sako Finnfire)

Virgil B.
Posted By: drducati Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 11/12/10
I have 3 model 39s. The earliest is 1942. I never shot apples off but my brother used to shoot the avacadoes out of the trees for my mother. He also harvested "Free Range" chickens with head shots at my grandmother's direction. It is a Ballard rifled barrel with a modified factory sight. Great rifles.
Without question, the last rifle I would ever part with:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: avagadro Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/01/10
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
George, ....
Have given him a 3 screw Ruger single-six, 10/22, Security-six, and a Rem 700 30-06 for his 21st B-day.

Must be all he needs/wants. ....

Virgil B.

Didn't read this part for one reason or another ... but in reality, except for a scatter-gun, ain't much else a man does need smile
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/02/10
George,

Some of us are "bitten" by the gun loonie bug, and some of us aren't.

I got it from my Dad, but it didn't go on down the line.

And, my Son did inherit a dubble barrel shotgun from his Great Grandfather on his Moms side.

Must be all he "needs"

Virgil B.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/27/10
I traded a very clean, and quite old Marlin 336 Texan in .35 Remington to one of our members, for an equally nice Golden Mountie Model 39
I bought a Leupold Rimfire 2-7X from Rick, and have been in heaven ever since.
As others have said, the LAST gun I would ever part with, is that Marlin lever .22
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/29/10
I predict this won't be your last lever-action!! wink

I picked up an 1895G in 45-70 which really gave me the lever-gun itch. I scratched it again recently with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45LC. That one had me foamin' at the mouth so bad I pulled the trigger on a Marlin 39M Golden Mountie that's being delivered to my FFL on Wednesday.....I can't wait!!! grin
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

[Linked Image]

Awesome pic!

What scope are you using and would you go that route again? I'm leaning towards a peep but I see you and Mannlicher are both sportin' optics so I had to ask.....
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/29/10
My eyes cause me to 'sport' optics, too. cheap ones. Kinda like reading glasses before bi-focals......redfield 2-7

[Linked Image]
Another straight grip fan.....nice!!
Posted By: rob p Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/30/10
For many years it was the only .22 I owned. I have a friend with a Winchester gallery gun. We shot against each other many times. We used to line up his kids old happy meal toys in his basement and shoot CB's at them. That was fun. I had my trigger cleaned up, because it was awful. It's still pretty stiff, but if I keep the rifle for an under 50 yd gun, it'll work fine.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/31/10
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Another straight grip fan.....nice!!

So much so, I'm getting one in 22mag.....1894m
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/31/10
I just picked up my Marlin Golden 39M from my FFL today and WOW!!!

By the pics, I couldn't get a real feel for the size of the gun/receiver. I knew I'd like it but I was really impressed with how light and handy it was compared to a centerfire 1894/1895. It just BEGS to be carried and shot.

As usual, I don't care for the factory sights so I'll be swapping those out ASAP as well......
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 12/31/10
You gotta lotta balls to come on here without pics, fella....
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

[Linked Image]

Awesome pic!

What scope are you using and would you go that route again? I'm leaning towards a peep but I see you and Mannlicher are both sportin' optics so I had to ask.....

Mine is wearing an old Burris 2x7 compact. I very much prefer glass to irons. I jave a Leupold compact 4x that would be equally at home on this rifle. Many of my shots at jackrabbits are a ways out there and the optics definately help.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 01/02/11
It coulda/shoulda/woulda been my Mountie, but today was the 15-22's turn to be carried......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: boatammo Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 01/04/11
Looks like a good job anyway
Posted By: avagadro Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 01/13/11
Originally Posted by huntsman22
My eyes cause me to 'sport' optics, too. cheap ones. Kinda like reading glasses before bi-focals......redfield 2-7

[Linked Image]

I asked you a while back about the checkering on the stock of your mountie ... since I don't think they ever came checkered.

Not that it matters but I believe your stock is off a Marlin 1897 Texan. I just spied one on GA and both stock and forearm are checkered.

Just incase you were curious.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91487598...rlin_1897_Texan_Lever_Action_22_SLLR.htm
Posted By: boatammo Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 01/13/11
You can buy replacement stocks from marlin Cheap but they are the new style even for the mounties.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 01/13/11
Sorry I missed the question on the checkered stock. I think the rear stock had been replaced at some time. I don't care if it's checkered or not. May be why it was cheap......George, I don't think it's off a '97, but then again, it's my shooter not a safe queen. So far, I can't tell that it would shoot any better uncheckered.....
Posted By: avagadro Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 01/13/11
I didn't ask if you cared ... simple statement of fact for my edification .... you had a similar off-handed response last time too.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 01/14/11
I didn't mean they were bad stocks. I had just contacted marlin about a 336 stock and 1 of my mounties has a stock that I started to checker 20 years ago and never quite finished.
Posted By: RJM Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 02/27/11
Back in about 1966 a 39-A Golden was my first .22 rifle...it was sold off when I went to college. After reading this thread as it was going along I decided to look for another Mountie...I say another as I had a 1961 back a few years ago but a friend fell in love with it so I sold it to him.

Last year I bought a 39TDS but never liked the short barrels balance...so it was recently sold and I found what was advertised to be a 1940s vintage 39A with straight stock and 20" barrel...it looked nice and the price was right so I bought it...

Turned out to be a 1956 I guess pre-Mountie as it doesn't have the gold trigger nor Mountie on the barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With big brother 1894S .41 Magnum...

[Linked Image]

Put one of the older 3/4" tube Bushnell TwentyTwo scopes on it and it shoots great....

...now I don't feel so left out...

Bob
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 02/27/11
looks good. Nice, ain't they?
Posted By: RJM Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 02/28/11
You ever get your 1894 .22 Magnum???? I just sold one a few months ago...great shooting guns but a .22 Magnum on a 1894 frame is just a little too big for the round. Wish they could have made the 39 in .22 Magnum...

Bob
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 02/28/11
yeah, I got it. The '94 is way beefy for it... still a great piece, tho.
Posted By: RJM Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 02/28/11
Anyone know what year Marlin started with the "Golden" series?

Bob
Posted By: GuyM Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 02/28/11
Nice rifles guys. Dad taught me to shoot with his 39a Mountie, long ago. He's still got that rifle and has taught dozens of kids to shoot with it.

I grabbed a 39a rifle when I could. My favorite rifle to shoot.

Regards, Guy

Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 03/02/11
Originally Posted by RJM
Back in about 1966 a 39-A Golden was my first .22 rifle...it was sold off when I went to college. After reading this thread as it was going along I decided to look for another Mountie...I say another as I had a 1961 back a few years ago but a friend fell in love with it so I sold it to him.

Last year I bought a 39TDS but never liked the short barrels balance...so it was recently sold and I found what was advertised to be a 1940s vintage 39A with straight stock and 20" barrel...it looked nice and the price was right so I bought it...

THAT is a keeper! Nice job.

Turned out to be a 1956 I guess pre-Mountie as it doesn't have the gold trigger nor Mountie on the barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With big brother 1894S .41 Magnum...

[Linked Image]

Put one of the older 3/4" tube Bushnell TwentyTwo scopes on it and it shoots great....

...now I don't feel so left out...

Bob
Posted By: Mink Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 03/04/11
Still looking for my 1894M, someone PM me if one pops up on here. I did pick up this 39M last weekend at the Jackson Gun Show. Been wanting one of these for a while as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 03/05/11
nice!
Posted By: avagadro Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 03/05/11
That is a nice lookin' iron .....

Mink, I've been looking for about 6-7 months now. Had help locating one, but it was above what I was willing to pay for its condition.
Posted By: Mink Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 03/05/11
Originally Posted by avagadro
That is a nice lookin' iron .....

Mink, I've been looking for about 6-7 months now. Had help locating one, but it was above what I was willing to pay for its condition.

It was on the last table I checked in the show. Almost did not go down that row as that seemed to be where the "lights, sharpeners, etc..." were situated. Needless to say, I was tickled pink. Been working on getting the skinner sights I put on it zeroed in. Have to do some filing on that front sight still.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 03/05/11
Originally Posted by Mink
Been working on getting the skinner sights I put on it zeroed in. Have to do some filing on that front sight still.

Make sure to post your results! I'd be very interested in finding an alternative to the factory sights for my 39M.......
Posted By: avagadro Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 03/05/11
Mink ... Thanks .... but I was unclear ... I'm also looking for a 1894M smile I have a Mountie, a second would be nice, since the wife likes the current one. I think she may claim the Mountie leaving me with the standard 39A ... what a shame wink
Originally Posted by Mink
Been working on getting the skinner sights I put on it zeroed in. Have to do some filing on that front sight still.

Make sure to post your results! I'd be very interested in finding an alternative to the factory sights for my 39M.......

I have had very good results with them before. Give them a try, the quality is second to none. Andy Larsson is a good guy to deal with Skinner Sights
Originally Posted by avagadro
Mink ... Thanks .... but I was unclear ... I'm also looking for a 1894M smile I have a Mountie, a second would be nice, since the wife likes the current one. I think she may claim the Mountie leaving me with the standard 39A ... what a shame wink

Ah, got it. Good hunting.
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: Marlin 39a mountie - 03/09/11
Gotta love the levers of all kinds. The 22's are perfect in hand no matter where you are. I prefer the Winny 94's, but I wouldnt run from a 39 either.

I carry a 94 in LR or Mag pretty much every weekend. With proper care they will last many lifetimes over.

Joseph
© 24hourcampfire