Home
My first 22 rimfire was a Ruger 10/22. They're accurate and as versatile as they come. If I was forced to only have one 22lr, the 10/22 would be it. There's just too much you can do with one to not have one in the safe.

That being said, I think I've found my new "favorite" 22 rimfire! I recently picked up a Marlin Original Golden 39M. It has a straight-grip stock just like the original Mountie but has a lighter, slimmer 20" barrel.

I had a chance to take it for a test drive today and all I can say is "Wow!" - this baby's FUN!! I sighted it in and spent some time breaking clay pigeons and then took it with me on winter hike hoping to find a Cottontail. I ran out of daylight so no luck with the rabbits but not only is this gun a hoot to shoot (gotta love lever-actions) it's also a joy to carry. I gotta say I wish I'd found out about these a long time ago because they sure make chuckin' 22s quality entertainment!!

[Linked Image]

So what "trips your trigger" when it comes to 22 rimfires? Is it accuracy, function, looks, or something else?

It's probably a combination of several characteristics and if you're like me, your tastes change as you go along.

If you have 'em, make sure to post pics too!!
For fun, I like the Ruger 10/22 KRBIBBZ, the stainless, green laminated mannichers, that Ruger made for Wal-Mart back in the mid-1990s.

For accuracy in a sporter, I like the Winchester 52 Sporter.

For accuracy in a target rifle, I like the Remington 37.

For survival, I like the Marlin 982.

For pistols, I like the S&W 2206.

For revolvers, I like the S&W 18.

For combination guns, I like the Savage 24.

JEff
Rem Nylon 66 auto

Ruger MKII 512

Rem 597 .22mag

Win 9422mag
Remington 513Sporter model, and the CZ 452, either American or Varmint model.
Winchester 67

CZ 452 American

NULA

ddj
Winchester 1906. Because while in my hands and a pocket full of cartridges it makes me feel like a kid again.

[Linked Image]
Great pic there RoundOak!! (and go Green Bay wink )

I've heard a lot of good things about the Win 52 and CZ 452. If I were going to buy another 22, I think one of those would be next on my list.

Since we're also posting pistols, my vote there will go to the Ruger Mark II. The SS 5 1/2" bull is about perfect for a factory pistol but I like it even better once you add a 4 1/2" threaded Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper (w/ Weaver mounts on top and bottom), Hogue grips, Volquartsen trigger kit, Streamlight TLR 1 or 2, Ultra-dot L/T red-dot and SWR Spectre Suppressor. cool

[Linked Image]

All of em!............Grin.............Hillbilly.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
All of em!............Grin.............Hillbilly.

Truer words may never have been spoken .... any properly working 22lr equals mucho hours of fun
The nice thing about the Mountie is that the whole gun is not only scaled to the cartridge but at the same time scaled to be used by an adult.... My first gun was a 24" 39A Golden and while no complaints wish I had bought a Mountie. I did pick up a 60s vintage fat barreled Mountie but my neighbor fell in love with it so now it resides across the street... I am looking for a 39A Carbine, tapered barrel Mountie with 3/4 magazine, but have not found a decent deal on one yet.

10/22s are the Transformer Toy of the .22 Rifle world... I have two of the stainless Internationals with black/gray laminated stocks that are good shooters....they are not tack drivers...but 100% reliable no matter what they are fed.

In rifles my true love is an accurate bolt gun... At this point the favorite is the CZ 452 American with the 17" threaded barrel. It wears a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm scope and is a tackdriver....

Bob

I have 2, my 552 Speedy and my Win 61..... But my CZ452 and 10/22's are a real close second. I like em all
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Great pic there RoundOak!! (and go Green Bay wink )

I've heard a lot of good things about the Win 52 and CZ 452. If I were going to buy another 22, I think one of those would be next on my list.

Since we're also posting pistols, my vote there will go to the Ruger Mark II. The SS 5 1/2" bull is about perfect for a factory pistol but I like it even better once you add a 4 1/2" threaded Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper (w/ Weaver mounts on top and bottom), Hogue grips, Volquartsen trigger kit, Streamlight TLR 1 or 2, Ultra-dot L/T red-dot and SWR Spectre Suppressor. cool

[Linked Image]

That rig is beyond cool.
Thanks passport.

BTW - where are the action shots of your 552?? That was the first firearm I ever shot. My cousin took me out with his semi-auto Speedmaster 552 and we shot 4 Jackrabbits and 2 Cottontails that day. Boy was I HOOKED after that!!
Jeff do these count?? grin

[Linked Image]

My 1911 Colt/with 22 conversion and S+W Mod 18

Oh yeah an old beater 10/22 that still shoots great!!!
Mine is a Kimber Classic 22LR from Yonkers NY. 2 position saftey 2002 model.
My new favorite is a Browning SA-22
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

[Linked Image]

Definitely.....and bonus points for pics!! So which one's your favorite?? I'd be all over that 45 with the 22 conversion..... cool
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

[Linked Image]

Definitely.....and bonus points for pics!! So which one's your favorite?? I'd be all over that 45 with the 22 conversion..... cool

Yep you got it pard ..it's really cool grin
If we make it out to the range I'll bring it along in both configs it only takes about a minute to change over to 22...
Cooper JSR and my orginal 39 mountie.
KoO Kimber 82 & Remington 541 T sporter are my favorites. Although I must admit that the Ruger 10/22 got me started as a rimfire nut 20 + years ago .
I'd like to add a 39a and 9422 to the stable one day as well .
I am going to pick up my remington model 12 today had it gone through and love to hang it on my shoulder chaseing bunnies
Sporter: CZ 452 Prestige w/ great wood
Target: Suhl/Martini MkII
Pistol: Browning Buckmark w/4" Bbl.
Originally Posted by nhFrank
I am going to pick up my remington model 12 today had it gone through and love to hang it on my shoulder chaseing bunnies

That Remington Model 12 is what I started with, when I found it in the back of Dad's closet, during a game of hide and seek. I still love to shoot it. The next 22 was a Remington Nylon Apache Black 66, that my mother signed for back in 1968. It's still a great shooter too.

There's probably another dozen or so 22 rifles around here right now, but as fun or effective a tool as some of them are, none can take the place of my first two Remingtons.
Originally Posted by DMB

You don't run into those every day!! Would love to see a pick of that one. My FFL here in NE is a Martini gunsmith......those Martinis are very cool rifles. cool
Sure been having fun with my Smith and Wesson 617 lately. Amazing how accurate that handgun is. Fun fun.

Kinda ugly, but I don't care about scratching them up, (Buckmark and Sako Quad). Super accurate and reliable with CCI Velocitors.

A Sig 522 may be in my future.

[Linked Image]
With regards to that Sako Quad above- define "super accurate with velocitors"

Just curious.

At 100 yards give or take from a rest I can get sub one inch groups aiming at the heart area of my pig target for 3 shots. For me that is super accurate.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rkamp

At 100 yards give or take from a rest I can get sub one inch groups aiming at the heart area of my pig target for 3 shots. For me that is super accurate.

[Linked Image]

For a hunting rifle, that will differently work. Most guns I have tried Velocitors in won't shoot them much better than that at 50 yards.

You are not trying to plink real hogs in the heart/lung area at 100 yards with velocitors I hope..???
Favorite? I would have to say it is my Remington 541-S. However, it is hard to beat a Marlin 39A or good semi-auto for fun shooting.
I'd have to give that nod to the Browning SA-22. It's a classic in form and function.
Gotta agree with Va Hillbilly.... ALL of 'em!
How can you not have a blast with any .22lr?
Makes for an inexpensive and fun as heck afternoon.
Originally Posted by DMB

You don't run into those every day!! Would love to see a pick of that one. My FFL here in NE is a Martini gunsmith......those Martinis are very cool rifles. cool

Here's a pix of the Martini Mk II, but I haven't photographed the Suhl.
The Suhl is about as accurate as any 22 target rifle I've shot. Have gotten a few 5 shot, 1/8" groups at 50 yards with it, using a Mitchell 2 1/2" 32X scope. That's with no wind or mirage.
The Martini is very close to the Suhl, but the Suhl in the correct hands will beat it. The Suhl has a choked barrel also.

[Linked Image]
I'm a bolt action guy. I have 2 Browning M-52's that are quite accurate, but heavier than needed. I generally carry my Winchester Model 69 with Weaver 4X scope in the woods.
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by DMB

Here's a pix of the Martini Mk II, but I haven't photographed the Suhl.
The Suhl is about as accurate as any 22 target rifle I've shot. Have gotten a few 5 shot, 1/8" groups at 50 yards with it, using a Mitchell 2 1/2" 32X scope. That's with no wind or mirage.
The Martini is very close to the Suhl, but the Suhl in the correct hands will beat it. The Suhl has a choked barrel also.

[Linked Image]

Don - this is a beautiful rifle!
Originally Posted by djs
Don - this is a beautiful rifle!

Agreed!

What a great looking setup.....and it shoots too!! cool
My favorite? Probably my Winchester 9422M since it brings up fond memories of my youth. We toted them for nearly everything imaginable. Now I realize it's hard to scope where it will fit me and not as accurate as some others I've had but still is fun.

Speaking of fun, my S&W M&P 15-22 is the most fun 22 I've ever shot. Hard not to run a thousand rounds through it...
[Linked Image]

Then I remember growing up always wanting a Kimber 22, never could afford one but finally managed to afford a Yonkers 22. It's definately the most accurate 22 I've shot and is a beauty to hold.
[Linked Image]

Sorry can't pick just one!
Toss up, here.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But, these are the favorites THIS week..... The others may stay in lock up, but these are always ready to go.

[Linked Image]
Next weeks pair might be T/C.

[Linked Image]
For sentimental week, I'll drag this'un along.

[Linked Image]
Favorites during magnum week.

[Linked Image]
handgun week, starting with monday to wednesday.

[Linked Image]

thursday.

[Linked Image]

friday.

[Linked Image]

saturday.

[Linked Image]

sunday.

[Linked Image]
cant go wrong with a 10/22. i also have a henery lever action 22S/L/LR with hi scope mounts so i can see iron sights as well as scope. hours of cheap fun! the 22 shorts are just as much fun with almost no sound!
cant go wrong with a 10/22. i also have a henery lever action 22S/L/LR with hi scope mounts so i can see iron sights as well as scope. hours of cheap fun! the 22 shorts are just as much fun with almost no sound!
Originally Posted by TWR
Speaking of fun, my S&W M&P 15-22 is the most fun 22 I've ever shot. Hard not to run a thousand rounds through it...
[Linked Image]

Then I remember growing up always wanting a Kimber 22, never could afford one but finally managed to afford a Yonkers 22. It's definately the most accurate 22 I've shot and is a beauty to hold.
[Linked Image]

Sorry can't pick just one!

Can't blame ya TWR!! Great taste as always.... wink
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Toss up, here.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But, these are the favorites THIS week..... The others may stay in lock up, but these are always ready to go.

[Linked Image]

Something old, something new, something splattered, something blued......great pics there!! grin
Originally Posted by huntsman22
saturday.

[Linked Image]

Yikes!! shocked Those are some beautiful grips.....what's the scoop on that Saturday night special?? wink
Colt Peacemaker 22. 4 3/4 barrel, stag grips. here's the tuther panel.

[Linked Image]
Nebraska: I graduated from High School in 1965 and one of the first things I bought myself was a Ruger 10/22 shortly after that graduation.
I have owned 10/22's ever since then and probably will never be without one.
I currently own 3 of them, all Deluxe models.
Back about 1987 I bought a heavy stainless Lilja barrel and attached it to my then factory stock Deluxe 10/22's
For the next 10 years that Rifle went along on every Varmint Safari I made to Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Oregon and Nevada.
Then I moved to Montana and continued the use of this wonderful little Rifle.
There have been years when I put 6,000+ rounds of ammo down that Ruger 10/22's Lilja barrel!
That Rifle is still going strong and the only part on it I had to replace was a worn out extractor last year.
I am sure I have 120,000+ rounds through that gun!
It still shoots very accurately.
I would not voluntarily live without a Ruger 10/22!
But I think the all time coolest 22 rimfire I ever owned was a very rare Winchester Model 61 with an octagon barrel and in caliber 22 WRF (WRF not a 22 WMR Winchester Magnum Rimfire!).
Boy I wish I had that one back.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
In 1956 while in the U.S. Army Germany I purchased a 22 Anschultz rifle w/Dbbl set trigger. That rifle paid for its self when in 1959 white tail jackrabbits were being purchased for $1.00 each. Back then in the western part of Nebr. I could shoot twenty to fourty each time I went out hunting. But its not my favorite 22 which is a Rem Mdl 121 slide action 22 which my dad gave me in the spring of 1949.
Originally Posted by bracer
Back then in the western part of Nebr. I could shoot twenty to fourty each time I went out hunting.

That's a lotta Jacks!! The first time I ever went "hunting", outside of O'Neill, NE, I shot 4 Jackrabbits and 3 Cottontails. They're not very common anymore and that's too bad because they sure were fun to hunt.....
A 541-S I bought new in the late '70's. Lots of squirrels and rabbits to its credit. It's almost as accurate as my 40-X's with the right ammo.

Seems like every garden raiding groundhog or crow I shoot with it drops in its tracks.
Anschutz 54 Sporter
My Ruger 77/22RS and my stainless SP101 4" full lug for the handgun. My old BLR22 is a close second for the long gun, just because I've had it for more than forty years. But like most others, it's hard to pick just one. There must be at least ten of them in the safe, and I shoot them all regularly.
For the magnums, it would be my Mossberg 640 Chuckster a first year model for the long one and my Single Six Hunter for the short one.
Bfly
Chuckster 22 mag.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Clackamas M82 Kimber in 22Mag

My favorite .22 is the Colt Woodsman Target. I have had one for over 50 years.

[Linked Image]

For target shooting I used the Winchester M52 B and then the C and now a 40X.

Hunting a M61 Win and others.

The M611 Brno is a very well made .22 WMR.

Marlin 39A.
Rifle: Either my 1922M2 Springfield or my custom BSA Martini 12/15.
Pistol: 1946-Vintage (made with pre-war parts) Woodsman w/ WWII gov't target grips.
My dad has a Remington 241 that I grew up shooting. Love that gun.

I really am liking my new Remington 597 too.

My dad gave me this gun after I killed my first squirrel with it.

Not exactly sure what it is, a Savage of some kind.
[Linked Image]

Heritage Arms Rough Rider
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by POC
[Linked Image]

Nice....I really like that birdshead grip!!
My most accurate one is my 541 sporter, but my favorite is my 9422 Legacy. I had it out yesterday..great lines, action smooth as butter, easy loading through the tube, and points like a dream. I hadn't fired my 22's in awhile and forgot how much fun they can be
Marlin 39A

Marlin 56

Marlin 60
Originally Posted by POC
[Linked Image]

Nice....I really like that birdshead grip!!

My favorite pistol I own. I took squirrels with it regularly last year, it is a really good shooter. Also has a 22mag cylinder, it doesn't have the scallops on the sides, makes it look more "cap and ball" like.
For rifles..My 1927 Marlin Model 39 and pretty much any Ruger 77
Pistols..harder to answer. Had a Taurus SS 22mag revolver I liked alot.
Ruger Super Single Six
Ruger Mark II & III (Competition target & Hunter)
Buckmarks are good too, not my first pic tho
Then theres that S&W revolver I cant remember the model of..really nice and full sized AND PRICEY
My favorite 22 rifle is my old Remington 550-1 auto. I bought it while I was stationed at Little Rock AFB for the princely sum of fifteen U.S. Dollars. Many days off were spent happily shooting that rifle. You would need a full size American pickup truck to haul the amount of ammo that has gone down it's barrel. It shoots shorts, longs and long rifles. With the factory shell deflector it would occasionally jam so, like every other owner I removed and promptly lost it. It's not as reliable as a newer 10-22 but it's still my favorite. And if anybody has a factory shell deflector that's gathering dust...
I only have a few, but I like them all.wning

1.) 1948 Browning trombone -- sentimental and accurate
2.) 1971 Browning Challenger -- newest and accurate
3.) 1980's Ruger 10-22 -- most fun and accurate
4.) CZ453 American -- most accurate

Favourite HAS to be accurate!
Picked it up an hour ago CZ452 Style ,feels real nice .

I sat here and ponder .22's and i guess i've only owned two of them -first was a rem 572 fieldmaster.
My favorite .22 rimfire is my 6" Blued Colt Diamondback. I don't shoot it that often because it is too pretty.
The most fun .22 rimfire I have is the new S&W MP15-22, With 6 magazines loaded up, you can burn thru 3 boxes of shells in about a minute! FUN! And surprisingly, if you take your time, it actually is quite accurate. This summer it will be the prime short range "out the car window" gopher gun. ( Although the empty cases flying around the inside of the car are a bit annoying. I can see why my farmer friends prefer their bolt action 17 HMR's for the same duty)
I have a Marlin 39A I bought new in 1975.I haven't shot it much since the early 80's and she's been a safe queen since.I'm a little older now and open sights are tough on the eyes,so I decided what the heck,why not put a scope on it.I had a Bushnell 3200 with a thick crosshair laying around,so I put that on it.Man,talk about a shooter.That thing will put them in the same hole!!!!I mean accurately awesome.
© 24hourcampfire