Home
I gotta post this !!

I just smoked a chuck from my front porch at a lasered 270 yards.........with a 5mm Rem Rimfire Mag !!!

I am LOVIN these little guns !!!!!!!!
Here's a mugshot of the poor victim.

Shot came from the porch of the house to the right of the barn.

[Linked Image]
Good shot, good photo. Nice looking little rifle. Burris scope?

Just looked up the ballistics on the 5mm Mag. That's a hell of a shot on what looks like a decent sized groundhog. Was it dead right there?
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Was it dead right there?

Shot at 100 yards .... ran the last 170 to expire!! wink

Just funnin' .... nice shooting
LOL, wasn't saying he didn't shoot it at 270 just wondered if it was a quick kill. That's a long way for that cartridge.
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Good shot, good photo. Nice looking little rifle. Burris scope?

Just looked up the ballistics on the 5mm Mag. That's a hell of a shot on what looks like a decent sized groundhog. Was it dead right there?

Thank you, sir.

Actually the rifle is a 10 footer. It's not a pig. But the wood's definitely seen better days cosmetically. Yes. Fullfield II 4.5x14 with B-Plex.

At the shot I heard the bullet whack home. He was feeding when I shot and appeared to not move (as in a miss). I looked again and he appeared to have leaned on to his side a bit. I yelled for my Mrs. to come look and about then he started to flop/roll down the hill. I found him laying about 10 yards downhill from where he was hit. Bullet entered behind the left shoulder and did not exit. Lots of blood from the nose.

I've half a notion to go back and do a PM for bullet recovery purposes. It's not quite 90 degrees this afternoon. Think he'll stink ?? eek grin
Wear a clothespin on yer nose. you NEED that bullet........
The 5mm should still be with us. I have killed a few Whistle Pigs with one back in the 70's and it walked on the 22 magnum . If you hit them they didn't move. Good shot and nice rifle
PM report:
Bullet enters high behind the chuck's left shoulder entering the ribcage at the bottom of the spine. Bullet smashed through the botton of a vertabrae, traverses the chest cavity, angling downward through both lungs. Bullet exits ribcage, destroys the right shoulder and is recovered in what would equate to the chuck's mid/upper right bicep.

Conclusion:

The 30 gr. Centurion hollowpoint (1st version, not varmint version) is not made to expand much on a chuck at 270 yards.

[Linked Image]
was it worth 'pin' marks on yer nose?
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I can sleep with pin marks on my nose. grin

Mighta had a hard time sleeping tonite not knowing what that little bullet did.
Great shot Yoder shocked smile
Awsome shot, nice pics!
Cool
Congratulations on a trophy shot! Appreciate you braving the 90 degree heat and smell to complete the postmortem...

So 5 MM ammo is back in production now?
Just found the answer

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...317431/all/5mm_Magnum_who_s_shooting_one
Very impressive. Good shooting
Thanks!!

There's quite a bit more yardage out in that field. I think it's become my summer project to see if I can't lob one in past the 270 yard mark.

Gonna need some still evenings, for sure.
Nice poke!!
Originally Posted by huntsman22

That's some funny schit! laugh

I skinned a skunk that I caught in a leg hold trap when I was younger. I still have pics of me wearing a mask, rubber gloves and irrigating boots while skinning it. I burned all the clothes when I was finished. What a horrible smell! They have REALLY pretty pelts, but they sure aren't worth the agony of skinning them. Flinch
Dam, i shot two woodchucks last week, 157yds&160yds with my 22mag. and was feelin pretty good, but that IS some awsome shooten. Probably gona sound dumb but gona ask anyway, just what is a 5mm Rem mag.( bullit weight/speed). Passed one up at a gunshow a while back, pretty nice shape, maybe should not have. Is ammo pretty easy to get, different loads?

Good shooten, Guy
The 5mm was a Remington creation and propelled a 30 grain bullet at 2100 fps. Remington factory ammo was discontinued in 1984 and the it was becoming very expensive and difficult to find, and was attaining collector's item status.

In 2008 Centurian, which I believe is a subsidiary of Aguila, began making 5mm ammunition again.

It is a very effective and interesting rimfire cartridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum

http://www.chuckhawks.com/5mm_rem_mag.htm
Actually, the original Remington loading was a 38 gr. bullet at 2100 fps. The new loadings by Centurion (Aguila, yep) are with two different 30 gr. hollow points. The first offering is listed at 2300 fps. But chrono'ing shows it to go closer 2350-2380 fps. The "varmint" loading, I believe, is listed at 2400 fps. I've not tried any of those as yet.

The new production ammo is readily available from Sportsman's Guide, Midway, Natchez, etc.
Darn nice shot!
Great shot!! I have had my 5mm since buying it new in the '70's. It is a great rifle, accurate and fun to shoot!
© 24hourcampfire