Home
Got a great deal on this rifle NIB. Think I might spend the money I saved on a better stock for this rifle. It's the factory plastic stock and it might be the cheapest piece of crap I've ever seen/felt. The forearm is so thin and soft that it flexes and touches the barrel anywhere you put pressure w/hand or rest or anything else. Any suggestions for a stock or do any of you have the factory wood stock you'd like to get rid of? Thanks, Jeff
check Boyd's stock, I am pretty sure they make a wood replacement stock for the 93.

drover
I think that all of the Boyds stock are cut with a heavy barrel channel.

I have restocked some heavy barreled Savage 93s and Mark IIs with the Boyds Prairie Hunter stock and with the Savage factory laminated stocks from the "B" rifles; BVSS and BTVSS. If you do that restock job, don't forget to buy the alloy trigger guard and screws.

I think that it is funny when guys at the range poke fun at the pink laminated stock on my 93R17 with a GM barrel, but they usually shut up when they see the tiny groups that it shoots. The only Savage in 17 HMR that I couldn't get to shoot was a 93R17 sporter, so I used the action for "Pinky" and threw the stock in the trash and the barrel in the scrap bin.

JEff
Boyd's may be the best source for Savage rimfire stocks because they build most of the factory wood handles for Savage rimfires. wink
Thanks for the info guys.
LB,

Just curious..

What contour is the barrel on your gun?
It's the heavy barrel.
Well, if you want a bit more of a solid/tactical style stock I highly recommend their "Tacticool" model.

I had one mounted on a CZ 452 HB rifle last year and ergonomically it was a great little stock.

It's only slightly different than the one they supply to for Savages for their tactical models.
Yessir I looked at that one on Boyds website. Says they are out of stock. I'll keep checking back. Looks like a nice stock for $92. Looks like I'll have to order the trigger guard and maybe some other hardware from Savage to make it work. Thanks again, Jeff
I have 2 of the Boyds Target Hunter style stocks, 1 installed, and really like it. The Boyds site is showing them in stock and in 6 different laminated colors. I have the pepper laminate color with a Mark II FV barreled action installed in 17 HM2, a huge improvement over the factory injection molded plastic. A really good replacement stock for $76, plus the cost of the other parts you'll need. Too bad Boyds didn't sell the parts as a conversion package.

JEff
The majority of my 317 Savage rifles were made before WW1, long before Boyds existed.

JEff
For those of yall who are using the Boyds stocks on your 93r17 what is the "e" designation on their website? I think it shows 93-e. Did you have to do any inletting or finishing or are these true drop-in stocks for the 93? I may go ahead and order the laminate stock that's in inventory but I think I'd like to have the tactical style. Shot one of the 93's with the factory tactical stock and really liked the feel from the bench. Daughter will like it too.
If you go to www.rimfirecentral.com, I think that they have pictures that show the difference between an older 93 and the 93E.

IIRC, it has to do with the diameter of the barrel just forward of the receiver. The older barrels are the same diameter as the receiver and step down about 8" out. The 93E barrels are the smaller diameter for the whole length, no step down.

I had to reinlet my Target-Hunter laminated stock for my older style of barrel.

JEff
© 24hourcampfire