Home
Posted By: avagadro ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 11/05/11
Does anyone own one that doesn't shoot gerbil pellets in to .5" at 50 yards in a tornado? smile smile

Just curious ... found a NIB 452 Lux for $388 .... not a great price, but they're not making them anymore either ....

.... never heard of one NOT shooting Sub MOA here at 24HCF.

No one has had a bad one? ... or are you afeared of ridicule if you spoke out?

Thanks for any input ...

Best to you,
-g
Posted By: jim62 Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 11/05/11
Originally Posted by avagadro
Does anyone own one that doesn't shoot gerbil pellets in to .5" at 50 yards in a tornado? smile smile

Just curious ... found a NIB 452 Lux for $388 .... not a great price, but they're not making them anymore either ....

.... never heard of one NOT shooting Sub MOA here at 24HCF.

No one has had a bad one? ... or are you afeared of ridicule if you spoke out?

Thanks for any input ...

Best to you,
-g

I have never heard of an inaccurate CZ m452 in 22LR if the gun is simply fed ammo it likes.

That is due to two things.

1) They have great barrels with DEEP grooved rifling for good accuracy with lead bullets.

2) They have a tight semi-match style chamber (very close to a "Bentz" style)

The damn things simply shoot. It's been my experience that pound for pound they will shoot with any Anschutz sporter made when fed the same quality ammo.

In the other calibers they are made, a turd or two has been found over the years but they are extremely rare.
My 452 shoots a heck of a lot better than I do. Love it!
Posted By: Ron_T Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 11/05/11
I've had my CZ453 (a Model 452 with a factory-installed single-set trigger added) "Varmint" Model (heavy 20" barrel, no sights) for a bit over 3 years and can only speak of my experience with my CZ453.

As Jim62 sez, as long as you use the brand/style of ammo your individual CZ rifle "likes"... it will shoot very accurately. My own Model 453 is very, very accurate with Wolf Match Target ammo, but then... most CZs seem to like that ammo. It will shoot round after round into or almost into the same hole at 50 yards.

While I've never heard of any CZ452 or CZ453 that would NOT shoot quite accurately, I'm sure CZ made a few "klunkers"... it's almost impossible NOT to have done so.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Never heard of a CZ452 or 453 that wasn't superbly accurate. My 452 Varmint shoots sub 3/8" 5-shot groups at 50 yards all day long, with many groups into one hole - and that with American Eagle bulk ammo and a marginal scope. Only thing I've done to it is the usual bargain trigger tuning. Folks who bother to find it's favorite ammo and do a little bedding work including precision torquing of the bedding screw report improvements over stock accuracy as well. Come to think of it - I have read of a couple 452s that weren't quite what they should have been, until the screws were torqued properly. IIRC, it's easy to get them too tight.
I don't think my varmint will do as well as yours, but it will hold sub .5 with the occasional flyer that just drives me nuts! I bought mine used with an 8 oz trigger that is simply outstanding. It shoots so well I am afraid to touch a screw and have never had it out of the stock to look at the mysterious barrel lug mounted in front of the receiver that is the second action screw. I am curious as to the 453 varmint and their action screw placement?
Posted By: Ron_T Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 11/08/11
Thumper...

My 453 "Varmint" has two action screws, one just in front of the trigger guard and one just behind the trigger guard. I had my action screws pillar-bedded, the whole action glas-bedded and the heavy barrel re-floated by my gunsmith.

Hope this is the info helps... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Posted By: Ky221 Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 11/08/11
My 452 17m2 shoots real, real well
I've had/have around 10 of these...Scouts, Americans, Special/Trainers and one varmint...

Converted two Scouts and one Trainer to use two action screws. I still prefer two action screws, but none of them ever shot significantly better than the one action screw models.

They all have shot 0.5" and sub routinely (at 50 yards) with ammo they like. Wolf match target is the highest price point I have shot (back when it was $20 and $25 a brick), and be sure to try out some of the more inexpensive ammo...the best groups I've got out of mine were in the low .300's and it was with the (unfortunately no longer available) PMC Sidewinder.

Unfortunately .22 ammo can vary from lot to lot and your gun may not shoot the same ammo from a differnt lot as the last, if you find some cheap ammo that is accurate with your rifle, buy as much as you can.

Jerry
My son-in-law Andy has a 452 left hand American that he put a YoDave trigger kit in. My brother, Randy has a 452 Euro that he put a Timney in. I have a box stock 453 American. Their rifles are nice, and they ALL shoot really well. I'd still take my 453 over theirs. I think my trigger is every bit as good as the Timney without using the single set.

Mine shoots the Federal Blue box bulk ammo very well. I have some subsonic and some target stuff that I will try some day, but I am very happy with my 453. Only a sample of three rifles, but they are all very good shooters.
I shoot a 452 Training rifle in 22LR. Wolf and CCI SV ammo shoots the best in it, with Federal 510, Federal AE and even Winchester Wildcat coming in close behind. Never any problems with accuracy from different ammo.
I have one. It was, no kidding, the best money I've ever spent on a rifle ($300 new about 5 years ago). I love it. Super accurate (really) and good quality.
My first Cz 452 Varmint in .17 HMR shot well, but it had a headspace issue. I sent it back to CZ-USA and they replaced the rifle with a new one, whcih incidently had a beautiful stock. However, the new one shoots the 20 gr XTP bullets into a group under an inch, but the 17 gr bullets shoot groups that are 2 inches or larger! I keep hoping it will break in and shoot the 17 gr bullets better....but it hasn't yet with a few hundred rounds through it.

I bought a 455 earlier this year with a .22 & .17 HMR barrel. With the .17 barrel, it's the most accurate factory gun I've ever fired. I liked it so much that when they made a special run of 452's in Mach II a couple months ago, I put one on layaway at Whittakers.
My ten day wait is up today & depending on when I get off work, I'll probably be picking it up this evening.
I owned one of the left handed models. Accuracy was not the problem. And I don't only buy a rifle because it is accurate. I want several other nice features in a rifle. And that was where the CZ failed. I really didn't put the rifle through any accuracy tests because I was disappointed in the other features of the rifle.

The rifle came with a decent piece of wood for an inexpensive rifle. I give kuddos for that.

I will tell you the problems my rifle had. Even though I will probably get flamed for saying.

First was the trigger. It was absolutley one of the worst factory triggers I have ever seen on a rifle. It was as bad as the old Savage 110-E's.

Second was the metal work. All the edges on the rifle were sharp, and rough cut. With metal shavings in open sight. Metal finsih was very poor(not bluing).

The largest problem I had with the rifle was the action. It almost took two hands to work the bolt. The action was extremely rough. Bolt lift was terrible, and the bolt simply did not slide. It had to be pulled along. IMO this was due to the poor machining work.

My problems were with the construction of the rifle. So after I noticed these problems it didn't matter how well it shot, I had no further interest in the rifle.

I did buy an additional CZ in 204 Ruger(left handed). That rifle had similar problems, although not as bad. But the 204 did shoot very well. It had a set trigger that was also horrendous.

Five or six years ago the CZ rifles were pretty cheap to buy. And you could overlook some of these problems because the price was so low. However in today's markets the price has risen considerably. And now those other problems can't be overlooked for the higher prices CZ is now asking. Tom.
well what happened to jims post ???
Posted By: jim62 Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 11/18/11
I deleted it after about 5 minutes. It's Really not worth responding to someone that [bleep] clueless. wink

Anyone with any real experience with CZs knows the score-

Literally MILLIONS of satisfied owners of CZ m452 rifles all over the world vs 1 clueless Hillbilly in West Virginia who expects a $1,000 rifle for $300 of his monthly government check.
Originally Posted by jim62
I deleted it after about 5 minutes. It's Really not worth responding to someone that [bleep] clueless. wink

It is not worth responding?? Yet you still do??

Jim please get a life and leave my posts alone. I don't respond to your dribble(besides this). So please show me the same courtesy.

And we both know the real reason why your post was deleted. Tom.
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
And we both know the real reason why your post was deleted. Tom.

Pray tell what was it?

I deleted it myself of my own free will. If you know some OTHER reason I do not, then BY ALL MEANS share it all with us.

It would be just ANOTHER topic of which you have no real clue.

Nice try Jim. And have a very nice evening. Tom.
I owned one of the left handed models. Accuracy was not the problem. And I don't only buy a rifle because it is accurate. I want several other nice features in a rifle. And that was where the CZ failed. I really didn't put the rifle through any accuracy tests because I was disappointed in the other features of the rifle.

The rifle came with a decent piece of wood for an inexpensive rifle. I give kuddos for that.

I will tell you the problems my rifle had. Even though I will probably get flamed for saying.

First was the trigger. It was absolutley one of the worst factory triggers I have ever seen on a rifle. It was as bad as the old Savage 110-E's.

Second was the metal work. All the edges on the rifle were sharp, and rough cut. With metal shavings in open sight. Metal finsih was very poor(not bluing).

The largest problem I had with the rifle was the action. It almost took two hands to work the bolt. The action was extremely rough. Bolt lift was terrible, and the bolt simply did not slide. It had to be pulled along. IMO this was due to the poor machining work.

My problems were with the construction of the rifle. So after I noticed these problems it didn't matter how well it shot, I had no further interest in the rifle.

I did buy an additional CZ in 204 Ruger(left handed). That rifle had similar problems, although not as bad. But the 204 did shoot very well. It had a set trigger that was also horrendous.

Five or six years ago the CZ rifles were pretty cheap to buy. And you could overlook some of these problems because the price was so low. However in today's markets the price has risen considerably. And now those other problems can't be overlooked for the higher prices CZ is now asking. Tom.

That is unfortunate about your CZ's Hogghead. CZ USA has excellant costumer service for concerns such as yours.
Nice try Jim. And have a very nice evening. Tom.

Hoggbreath-

Believe me, you dumb Hillbilly , the moderator of this forum COULD CARE LESS how many times folks call you a cretin.

You have less pull pull here than Lindsey Lohan.

And about the same amount of rifle knowledge.
Originally Posted by bethalhntr

That is unfortunate about your CZ's Hogghead. CZ USA has excellant costumer service for concerns such as yours.

He has never even owned a m452. He handled one once in a gunshop and came to those conclusions.

His admitting he has never fired one is your first clue.
Jim I will say a prayer for your soul tonight before I go to sleep. For certainly there is a reason for a person to have so much hatred in his heart.

I have argued with you in the past. And now I realize that was a mistake. You have a troubled heart, and for that I am truly sorry. Maybe a few prayers may help you out a bit. I certainly hope so. I will do my best. Good luck to you. Tom.
Jim I will say a prayer for your soul tonight before I go to sleep. For certainly there is a reason for a person to have so much hatred in his heart.

I have argued with you in the past. And now I realize that was a mistake. You have a troubled heart, and for that I am truly sorry. Maybe a few prayers may help you out a bit. I certainly hope so. I will do my best. Good luck to you. Tom.

No trouble here. grin

I just hate lying douche bags like you who misrepresent the work of fine gunmakers like CZ ..

You would not know a good rifle if it smacked up side your dumb hillbilly head.

So stick your "prayers" up your azz.

Better yet, say MANY for yourself. Because ANYONE as stupid as you are needs ALL the help they can get. wink
HOGGHEAD: I simply have to ask you (and this is NOT a flame!) how come you bought the CZ Rifle in the first place with all those obvious faults?
Maybe you bought it through the mail somehow?
Anyway I have not noticed any of the attributes you mention on the CZ's my friends own and are so proud of them, that they make me shoot them.
THE, main reason I do not own a CZ is becuase I can not get a handle on their bassackwards safeties!
And reason number two is their hangdown magazines.
If they would correct these two deficiencies I would own at least two of them.
Virtually all of my friends who have rimfire CZ's have had trigger jobs done on them and a couple have bought the CZ's with set triggers - I have shot both types and again the triggers are rather nice and conducive to good field accuracy.
"Accuracy", IS, the main reason I KEEP a Rifle!
If a Rifle won't shoot I don't want it no matter how well it is fitted and finished!
I guess differing views and opinions is what makes the world go round?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
HOGGHEAD: I simply have to ask you (and this is NOT a flame!) how come you bought the CZ Rifle in the first place with all those obvious faults?

VarmintGuy

When I bought the first CZ(the 22 LR) there were none available in the small gun shops in my neighborhood. Especially the smaller ones we have here in WV.

Plus the rifle was a left handed rifle. And no one around stocks any left handed 22 rifles in my area.

I bought the rifle as a special order from a small dealer in my area. The fellow does not even stock rifles. He only handles the paper work and does special orders. And on a special order, what you order belongs to you, you pay in full in advance.

When I resold the rifle I actually sold it to the fellow who runs the shop. He wanted to use it as a squirrel rifle, which is what I bought it for originally.

I am not the first person who has discussed the rough machinig on the CZ's. Nor am I the first one who has talked about how rough the actions are.

I am on a couple of the varmint hunting forums, and I have heard my comments several times on those forums(from others).

And what was wrong with my trigger comment??

I have been told the triggers are easy to work on. However I am not a mechanical person so I do not try to work on triggers.

I really don't believe I flamed the rifles very bad.

I did shoot the 22 rifle about 75 to 100 shots before I decided to sell it. And I probbably would have given the rifle some more time, but I ran into another good deal. And the accuracy was more than acceptable with the small amount of shooting I did with it.

Thank you for not flaming. It just seems you can't have a conversation with some people without making things personal. And that really is a shame-but it is life.

Also if you read my first post closely I also said that even with a few problems the rifle was still a good price point. It was not until after CZ took the large price increases that I personally felt the rifles had become over priced. And actually the wood on the 22 LR was pretty nice. The wood on the 204 was just a nice piece of straight grained Walnut.

Below is a picture of the 204 I had. I did not takea picture of the 22 LR I had. However I basically feel no need to prove anything to others(not you) members as to what I did or did not buy. When I sold the 204 to a fellow on another forum I told him what I didn't like about the rifle. And the worst part really was the horrendous set trigger. He said he could fix the problems very easily(I couldn't). I also told him how well the 204 shot. I actually shot a couple of 2" groups at 300 yards with the 204(very good for a standard weight rifle). He has contacted me since and thanked me for selling him a rifle that shot so well.

The bottom line of what I was trying to say was that the CZ wa a decent rifle for the price---before they had the drastic price increases they have had in the last few years. Can someone argue with those drastic price increases?? Really?? Tom.

[Linked Image]

Bottom line is rifles ARE mechanisms.

If you are too stupid to properly lubricate the bolt ,adjust a few screws, and then break in the rifle by SHOOTING IT, perhaps you should not even own firearms.

You made claims NOBODY whom I have ever known has said about CZs. Your "worst trigger ever" comment is horseschit on it's face.

Your claim about not being able to work the bolt is a sad little exaggeration. And your cosmetics claims are sad considering the fact the left hand CZs m452s are $300 to $400 rifles with checkered walnut stocks.

The fact of the matter is you made a bunch of baseless accusations in that chickenschit first post of yours that were very unfair to some VERY good rifles.

As to to the price increases- guess WHAT dummy?- The Czech Republic has inflation as well! Have you checked out the price of other European made rifles compared to 5 years ago? Sakos have gone up 75% in that last 5 years and recently they made a batch that BLEW UP. How's that for "value"?

Yeah, that's right Hillbilly- the Czech republic IS in Europe! The US dollar has not been exactly strong against the Euro during that time .

Besides, CZ -USA needs the extra profit margin to subsidize their customer service department so they can hand hold morons like you who cannot operate bolt on their rifle.
You are a sad little man. I will say a prayer for you. Tom.
I am sad little man. Say a prayer for me. Tom.

Fixed that for you, dingbat.

In the meantime, MILLIONS of astute riflemen continue to be content with their CZ m452 rifles. wink

And you will have never even fired one.
Bottom line is rifles ARE mechanisms.

If you are too stupid to properly lubricate the bolt ,adjust a few screws, and then break in the rifle by SHOOTING IT, perhaps you should not even own firearms.

You made claims NOBODY whom I have ever known has said about CZs. Your "worst trigger ever" comment is horseschit on it's face.

grin

I don't know Jim... grin
I picked this new 452 up last night from my ffl guy & the trigger has no creep...more of a hop/skip/jump... grin
Same as the 455 I bought. I had already planned on getting a Rifle Basix trigger for it though so it's not unexpected. The "free floated barrel" is touching the stock on the right hand side, but that wasn't unanticipated either...as well as the rough cycling of the bolt...no biggie here though. A little judicious polishing of the bolt along with other minor tweaks & there's no doubt in my mind that my squirrel hunting buddies are gonna be more than a little envious of this little mach 2... grin
Here's my response. First, it's a bolt action. The lock up is tighter than other action types so, if they aren't damaged, bolt actions will perform better.

Euro rifles shoot better than North American made.

Most posters have not fired more than three or four types of ammunition through their rifles. As a result, they really cannot comment on how well or how poorly ANY rifle will perform.

WRT CZs, I have owned two - the American and the Varmint. The American shot better than the Varmint. I tried twelve different loads in both. I mounted the same 6x24 Bushnell on both.

I have shot a Lakefield 64 bolt action, a Henry pump, a Marlin Model 60, a Marlin 39, a Rem 597, a Savage Mk II and semi-auto 64, a Ruger 10-22, and several Russian made 22s. The Russian and Lakefield rifles shot the best. The Ruger 10-22 and Remington 597 shot the worst.

I tried over 20 different 22 brands and types in the various rifles I've shot.

You know what? Ask to borrow someone's CZ, but bring your own ammunition. The biggest problem with opinions is that everybody has one, but none of them are right. None are worth the powder to blow them to hell.

In the end, whatever you observe is the best.
---

I know that you want judgments of what others have found. Unfortunately, there are too many rifles and ammunition types for anyone to render a balanced opinion. No one - myself included - has tried a large enough sampling.

You must be a range whore and ask about every rifle you see.

Bonne chance.

First off, that there is funny. laugh

I bought one last year IIRC. Just wanted an accurate 22 and that is what I got. Wood is nice but average, metal work is all fine - nothing like hoggshead described. It groups very well at 50 and 100 yards and at 25 it is all the same hole. Nice rifle!

I too found the trigger a little stiff for my liking and also installed a yohdave trigger kit. Love the trigger now.

As Steve mentioned mine too behaves differently with different ammo - more so than any other rifle I own. I have several 22's but this is the only one that wanders with different ammo. It is all accurate but the elevation changes between the four different brands I tried. Due to this I just buy the one that shot the best so that the scope setting does no have to change.

I can't speak for others but mine has certainly been a pleasant experience.
The two I have (1 american and 1 varmint) both shoot lights out. As in one hole out to 50 yards. Great guns for sure.
mine will do head shots on chipmonks and sage rats out to 125 yds all day long... that is why I have a 6 x 24 scope on it, as it can actually take advantage of that extra magnification...

mine is a basic Trainer Model, bought for $199.00 brand new..
Posted By: Ron_T Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 11/24/11

No trouble here. grin

I just hate lying douche bags like you who misrepresent the work of fine gunmakers like CZ ..

You would not know a good rifle if it smacked up side your dumb hillbilly head.

So stick your "prayers" up your azz.

Better yet, say MANY for yourself. Because ANYONE as stupid as you are needs ALL the help they can get. wink

Like many of you, I read this "pissin' match" between these two posters with a mixture of disgust and sadness.

Like many of you, I really don't know who is "right" and who is "wrong"... but the "personal attack" makes me wonder WHY a poster can't post his honest feelings or experiences without fear of being called a "liar"... or an "idiot"... or "stupid"... and other equally disgusting, nasty names.

When a man's feelings, opinions or experiences are being made public, he shouldn't have to endure PERSONAL ATTACKS in order to post his honest feelings or experiences. On the other hand, it is everyone's right to disagree with said POSTS, but in disagreeing, this does NOT give another poster "license" to insult or verbally abuse the original poster.

It's this kind of "verbal terrorism" that causes many more shy members here to hesitate or even REFUSE to post information or one's own personal thoughts or opinions... which is a shame. frown

Jus' my 2�...

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
I bought a cz 452 scout 4 years ago and i do not have one complaint about it!!!! I did a poor mans trigger job on it, a piece of feeler gauge to take out the very little creep it had, the barrel was free floated, I must say this gun shoots better than any gun i have ever owned, Savage, Mosberg, Marlin, Ruger
Mine was bought off the used rack about 10 years ago. It is the Silhouette model.

Absolutely the best shooting .22 I've owned, next to an old Anschutz I had 30 years ago.

It actually groups the Stingers into 1/2" at 50yds.
My trigger was crap out of the box. When I went to adjust, the nut cracked clean in half. I shot it that way and it is great. CZ sent me a new nut free of charge, it's still in a drawer somewhere.

2 faults, after about 3 years I went to pick up the rifle and the sunlight hit the barrel just right. OH MY GOD! MY BARREL IS BULGED!

Not, it is a flaw in the exterior machining of the barrel, about 8" back from the muzzle. It looks like the cutter was changed mid-cut and not perfectly aligned.

The second, I took it out of the safe a few months ago and the recoil pad is falling apart.

Oh well, still my bestest .22lr.
BTW, jim 62, re; the hillbilly cracks............

FOAD
FOAD??
Posted By: RJM Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 11/25/11
This was at 100 yards with a long barreled 452 Ultra Lux...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

452 American 17" treaded....50 yards...Remington bulk ammo from Walmart..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is my CZ453 Varmint....

[Linked Image]

..I bought if after shooting this 50 yard target with my friends 452 Varmint with 36 power Weaver scope and using Wolf Match ammo...that is 5 rounds through almost one hole...

[Linked Image]

CZ 452 Scout with old 10 power Weaver...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/22%20rifles/GB041107023.jpg[/img]

Federal Bulk at 100 yards...the right shot was while walking the rounds onto the target and the others were all after one more MOA of left windage was dialed in...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/22%20rifles/GB041107024.jpg[/img]

My only complaint with the CZs are the fact one has to use Medium or High rings to clear the occular bell with the bolt...

Bob

I was looking for a new rifle and heard good reviews about the CZ so I stopped at their booth at a show and handled one. I think I would give a review similar to but not as detailed as Hogghead. I just didn�t care for the roughness in the action and the trigger. I even made a comment about it to the exhibitor which he wasn�t appreciative. But if you like yours then that�s great, they seem to have a good reputation.

I don�t visit this forum much anymore because over the years I have seen it go downhill from, IMO, very insecure keyboard commandos that, again IMO, probably derive their self worth by dominating from the keyboard.

Because I don�t come here very often anymore I�m not sure it has been posted yet (if so, sorry to bring it up again), But this seems like as appropriate a spot as any. I came to this post because for a few days I have been lurking around Hogghead�s last posts.

Tom was a prolific poster on many boards and I had my share of disagreements with him on this and one other board. I didn�t know him personally, I know he could definitely have an attitude about his opinions as many of us do, and I know he had health issues. As posted on some of the other boards he passed away early on Nov. 23. After lurking through his posts on the boards that I am aware of, I think his last post anywhere may have been on this forum, Nov. 23, 0628 am.

So Tom, I�m going to agree with you on this one and I�ll miss your point of view. I trust that you�re hunting and not resting high on that mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtmAVGPEPSI

http://timeswv.com/obituaries/x646423086/Thomas-Andrew-Chase

Posted By: jim62 Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 12/11/11
It is sad Tom/Hogghead passed away. It is nice of you to mention that here on his behalf.

IMHO, he was dead wrong about the CZ m452 rifle (amongst many other rifle related things). And it's sad he went to his grave not learn to appreciate the CZs as much as literally MILLIONS of their owners do every day.

By his own admission, he DID NOT shoot a CZ 452 at all, let alone enough to properly break it in . Just like the guns you saw at the trade show.

In the early 1990s CZ went overnite from a state run communist block manufacturer to a private concern that had to operate in the free market.

The tolerances and finish in their rifles have improved steadily over the last 10 years and even the roughest ones break in just fine with proper lubrication and use..

I always amazes me who folks can pick up brand new all steel and walnut rifle like a CZ m452 American at $400 and expect to be built to the same standards of finish as a $1,400 Anschutz or Cooper.

The last CZ m452 I bought was made in 2009 and merely by oiling it up, the action was almost as tight and slick as the Anschutz rifles I have owned.. And it shot just as well.

Does anyone own one that doesn't shoot gerbil pellets in to .5" at 50 yards in a tornado? .... never heard of one NOT shooting Sub MOA here at 24HCF.

I keep some of my guns & reloading gear elsewhere. Last time I went there I dug out my saved targets (paper plates) from when I put mine through it's paces just so I'd have them for future reference. IIRC, I shot: 5, 5-shot groups at 50 yards; 1, 10-shot group at 50 yards; and 1 10-shot group at 100 yards.

I don't remember exactly when I bought it, probably 6 or 7 years ago, but it is a CZ 452 American with some beautiful wood. It has a modified trigger pull around 1 lb and I used a Bushnell 4200 8-32X scope, and I shot all groups on 32X.

Shooting conditions were: a kind of tunnel between trees in a heavily wooded bottom behind my parent's house. Not much wind gets down there, but nonetheless, I did not use wind flags and can't remember if there was any wind that day, but if there was, it wasn't much or I wouldn't have wasted my time. Shot off of a fairly heavy kitchen table with sandbags.

I didn't bring back the targets so I can't reconsult them, but last time I was there, I jotted down some of the better perfomers so I could remember things like, "Was that the Thunderbolts or the Cyclones that did surprisingly well?" While the rifle was very consistant as far as shooting nothing really bad, neither was it as great as I expected. Here were what seemed to me to be the top 8 performers.

Results are for 10 shot groups at 50 and 100 yards.

Remington "Target" 40 grain RN: 1.35" and 2.9"
CCI "Green Tag" 40 grain RN: 1.0" and 3"
CCI Mini Mag HP 36 grain HP: 1.6" and 2.5"
CCI Velociter 40 grain HP: 1.2" and 3"
Rem Yellowjackets 33 grain HP: 1.25" and 3.5"
Rem Thunderbolts 40 grain RN: 1.7" and 4.1"
Win Wildcats 40 grain RN: 2.0" and 4"
Fed Lightening 40 grain RN: 1.6" and 4.5"
As christmas presents to myself I picked up a couple of new rifles yesterday. One of them was a M452 CZ American. Like RJM above I found it necessary to get a set of high rings in order for the bolt to be installed. Also to facilitate installation I changed the scope from a Bushnell Scopechief to a Banner. Haven't had an opportunity to take it out yet, hopefully it will prove to be as accurate as most of the campfire posters have said.

Jim
It is pretty much windless today so I took the new 452 out for a trial. I only had a couple of types of bulk ammo on hand (American Eagle and Win. 333) but was very pleased with the results. 10 shot groups were 3/4" to 7/8" and some 5 shot groups got as low as 7/16".

A friend at the range gave me a handful of Lapua standard target shells to try. These grouped into just over 1/2" for 5 and just under that for 4 shots.

I've decided to ask Santa for a variety of .22 ammo so will likely postpone further trials until after Christmas. The way it is working I'll probably have to install a better scope and maybe look at some minor trigger modifications. I want to shoot it some more before deciding on these changes.

Count me as a believer in the CZ .22's.

Jim

edit to add - the groups were all shot at 50 yards.
Posted By: Otis Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 01/02/12
I have the CZ 452 American in 22 WRM. It shoots smokin! The other day was out in the woods squirrel hunting and saw one get on top of a branch. I like to shoot them in the eye, I could see the tip of an ear his face was on the otherside from me. Shooting FMJ CCI, held low to "bark" him off the branch. When he came down, I picked him up, through the limb, about 3/4" of wood, through the eye and out opposite side ear! Love that CZ, which is the 1st 22 mag I ever owned.
Posted By: Otis Re: ANOTHER CZ 452 question .... - 01/02/12
Not that mine has a bad trigger, but could someone tell what kind of Dave trigger ya'll are talking about. Just in case I want to get one!
Rimfire central will set ya right up...personally I don't like to fiddle with shims, sleeves & changing springs trying to get the creep out & pull weight down...a Rifle Basics trigger will cure any of them problems...Yo-Dave trigger is Red Neck engineering at its finest...
Originally Posted by Otis
Not that mine has a bad trigger, but could someone tell what kind of Dave trigger ya'll are talking about. Just in case I want to get one!

The Yo Dave kit is only available at Ebay IIRC, Very simple to install and works well by removing the trigger creep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZ-452-455-..._DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2566dfee27
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Rimfire central will set ya right up...personally I don't like to fiddle with shims, sleeves & changing springs trying to get the creep out & pull weight down...a Rifle Basics trigger will cure any of them problems...Yo-Dave trigger is Red Neck engineering at its finest...

Well - it is the very finest of redneck engineering though. grin

It really does work - but you have to confirm that you haven't gone too far by seeing if your rifle passes the "bump" test.

Speaking of redneck engineering...

Yodave doesn't appear to do anything for trigger overtravel (my kit predates Yodave). In case his instructions don't cover it - and they might - you can eliminate overtavel without disabling the removal of the bolt by cutting a piece of rubber tubing to fit over the trigger return spring. Slit the tubing lengthwise and cut it a little long. It takes a little trial and error to get the right length, but at that point, you can still get the full travel to release the bolt by applying enough pressure to compress the tubing.

With a combination of the Yodave kit and the tubing trick, you get a mighty fine trigger.
I'm a fan of the Automated Solutions (AS)adjustable sears- I've put them in mine and a couple of friends rifles. I like the ease of adjustment. I used their springs too.
© 24hourcampfire