Home
Posted By: humdinger swamp people guns - 02/17/12
Anyone see the show "swamp people"? Its alligator hunters who bait with hooks and come up an head shoot the hooked gators typically with 22 rifles.
Its almost a firearms safety accident waiting to happen, but its interesting to see the variety of abused 22s they use. So far I have seen:
SS model 60's
Same in the box magazine version (75?)
Very few 10 22's, but a SS one with a 25 rounder.
Winchester 190
Remington 572

Anyone else see the show and spot anything unusual?
I laughed when the one kid took a 22 mag single action for "big power" compared to the ineffective 22 rifle he was using. Now that was scary watching him shoot a thrashing gator with the short barrel waving around.

(I hope someone else will admit to watching this show....)
Posted By: buckthumper Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
you would think they would use pistols more or even the old traditional bang sticks. I would think a pistol would be more manuverable and safer than a rifle, you would just have to pay attention to where your hand was.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
The native american kid, Jay Paul?, was shooting a varmint contour stainless Marlin 882 or 982 with good success. He and his Father seemed like the most "professional" pair on the entire show.

Jeff
Posted By: GeoW Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
A watch that funny crap.... and think of Steve smile I see a lot of Marlins, one Browning ATD (or clone) the girl pair use a Marlin 22 mag this season and the crazy bastard in the overhauls fell in the water and shot the gator..in the water, WITH that SOB, with a North American Arms Mini Revolver smile

Shood-em Elizabeth, Shood-em!
Posted By: Win_94 Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
Very entertaining show!
Posted By: mtcurman Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
I really enjoy the show. I've also seen a Marlin Mountie, a Ruger 77, and a Ruger Mini 14.

Chood um Lizabeth, chood um!
Posted By: humdinger Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
I don't see the show very often because I'm too cheap for cable, but I am amazed when you see them stick the muzzle down in the water to kill them. Kinda violates a few gun safety rules, but I suspect those 22's are pretty much disposable tools.

Sounds like they are shooting some nicer stuff.
Posted By: ingwe Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
From the time a gator is hooked, the sidekick picks up a rifle to shoot it, and it finally gets shot after all the staged tugging, Ive counted as many as four different rifles in the shooters hands...
The editors must think no one is paying attention.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
Originally Posted by ingwe
From the time a gator is hooked, the sidekick picks up a rifle to shoot it, and it finally gets shot after all the staged tugging, Ive counted as many as four different rifles in the shooters hands...

I have noticed that as well. I have seen that one of the boats had at least two separate gun cases. Backups, I suppose.

It is entertaining to watch though. I like the two brothers.... cool
Posted By: maddog Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12

Dang ingwe, ya just got ta take the fun out of everything.....grin. Swamp People wanna go 1st class, they need a "bubba buddy" on them .22s......whistle grin

maddog
Posted By: humdinger Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12

I've noticed that too. You see the guy holding a SS marlin 60 and then a face shot of him aiming down a winchester 190....

Now I'm not feeling so bad when I notice something like that, say something, and the wife gives me that "your gun nut habits are showing" look...
Posted By: 5sdad Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
What always amazes me is that the person tasked with shooting the gator never has the faintest clue of when he has a good shot, but the other person can recognize it so clearly. Seems like it would make sense to trade jobs. smile
Posted By: GeoW Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
Don't know, if I had a tousand poun 14 ft mouf full of teeth on a string, I'd be sayin shoodem too wink
Posted By: milespatton Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
The native american kid, Jay Paul?, was shooting a varmint contour stainless Marlin 882 or 982 with good success. He and his Father seemed like the most "professional" pair on the entire show.

That is why he has that big azz scope to shoot a gator at five feet. grin miles
Originally Posted by humdinger

I've noticed that too. You see the guy holding a SS marlin 60 and then a face shot of him aiming down a winchester 190....

Now I'm not feeling so bad when I notice something like that, say something, and the wife gives me that "your gun nut habits are showing" look...

The real reason for that not only do they use multiple takes, but they basically go out and shoot a season's worth of footage and then combine it for the shows. You'll notice that Troy always wears the same striped shirt as well. So, they have footage of guys on different days holding different guns.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
I love the fact that some of those guys need subtitles.

I also really like the swamp dude from axmen.

Come'on Willie! Heirwegooo!
That is Troy's "lucky" gator huntin' shirt, so it would be in play whenever Troy is on the hunt.

Jeff
I think that scope is for shooting gators that aren't on a hook, while those on a hook are at point and shoot range. In 1 episode, Jay Paul shot a gator in the head that looked to be 40 or 50 yards away, so he needed the scope for precision placement of the bullet.

Jeff
Posted By: podunk Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
That Jay Paul is one of the better shooters from what I've seen. The father and son team that constantly shoot each other really irk me. I built a tank in Port Sulfur, LA where Trapper Joe and Tommy hunt, they're 'big time' local celebrities.... grin
Posted By: maddog Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
I'm all for them boys and girls. They didn't ask to be on TV, TV asked them! And, I enjoy the show. "CHOOT EM LIZABETH" grin

maddog
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
So far I have seen:
SS model 60's
Same in the box magazine version (75?)
Very few 10 22's, but a SS one with a 25 rounder.
Winchester 190
Remington 572

Anyone else see the show and spot anything unusual?
I laughed when the one kid took a 22 mag single action for "big power" compared to the ineffective 22 rifle he was using. Now that was scary watching him shoot a thrashing gator with the short barrel waving around.

(I hope someone else will admit to watching this show....)

It's not a Winchester 190, but a RUGER 96 in 22 WMR that Troy & Clint are using this year.
R J & J Paul uses a 17 HMR
Posted By: srwshooter Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
do you actually believe that one man can pull a 600 lb gator in the boat by its head. you ever tryed to pull a 250lb person up over the side of a boat. i think they add to the real weight alot.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: swamp people guns - 02/17/12
I've often had that thought as well.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12
Suprised they haven't blown up any of the guns by pushing the barrel into the water and firing? I'm sure its a matter of time. Good show though. I like listening to Troy.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12
From the time a gator is hooked, the sidekick picks up a rifle to shoot it, and it finally gets shot after all the staged tugging, Ive I as many as four different rifles in the shooters hands...

I'm glad I'm not the only one aggravated by such a disregard for gun related details. To those Hollywood types, guns are a generic entity with no differentiation as to brand, type, caliber, etc.

They have violate my sensitivities.

DF
Posted By: GeoW Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I love the fact that some of those guys need subtitles.

I also really like the swamp dude from axmen.

Come'on Willie! Heirwegooo!

swamp dude from axmen with his jet boat is going to kill some damn body...that is one crazy sob.
Posted By: podunk Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12
No worries, Shelby got his jet boat voodoo exorcised.... wink
Posted By: humdinger Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12
Sooo.... I was reading a article about my nylon 66 rifle and the origional remington advertising stated it was the only rifle that stood up to abuse of Alaskan fisherman using them to protect their nets from marauding sea lions....

So wouldn't the nylon 66 be THEE ultimate swamp gator gun???

Discussion please...
Posted By: milespatton Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12

Yes. I bought one soon after they came out and decided to test it. Their claim was that it could bounce around in the bottom of the boat or canoe and it would still shoot when called on. I abused the one I had very badly and it never failed to shoot except for a few bad shells. Not the rifles fault. It was carried daily by me when I worked on two different minnow farms. On one it rode in a ton truck that we used to seine with and it melted the lever that you pull the bolt back with from it being against the transmission housing that heated up. On the other farm it rode between the seats of a jeep with no top. It stayed there day and night, sunshine and rain, dust and fish feed blowing about. After leaving the fish farms, I left it leaning against a tree in the front yard from November until March one year, except when I took it hunting. After using it, I would lean it back against the tree. After about ten years of this, I cleaned it. I still have the gun and it still shoots good. I did paint the barrel a flat black after the tests were over. Those little rifles were tough. miles
Posted By: rost495 Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12
Originally Posted by Esox357
Suprised they haven't blown up any of the guns by pushing the barrel into the water and firing? I'm sure its a matter of time. Good show though. I like listening to Troy.

How would you blow up a gun by putting the barrel under water? Pressure will keep water out of the tube, and it'll fire fine and safely every last time, UNLESS they mess up and allow water to enter the barrel. Thats actually hard to do unless you drop the gun into the water due to pressure principles.

I've done it a few times and you won't have an issue if you pay attention.
I"ve also ended up with a dunked shotgun on a duck hunt, just pour the water out of the barrel to be sure and shoot ducks.
Posted By: ingwe Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12

Well yeah.....duh... grin
Posted By: shrapnel Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12
After watching shows like this, even a life member of the NRA would start to embrace gun control...
Posted By: boatboy Re: swamp people guns - 02/18/12
I think in his own way Troy is pretty cool just a hard workin SOB

I love the Brothers when they went out for Squirrel and dumplings that was my favorite

The was this sissorbill with a braided ponytail and a Ruger P9 (I think)
and he shot the snake in the water.I have doubts but if it was true it was a heck of a shot

Hank
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: swamp people guns - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by boatboy
I think in his own way Troy is pretty cool just a hard workin SOB.

Troy Landry is a successful businessman apart from the show. I would guess Mr. Landry is going to make more money off this project than any of the rest, because he knows how to promote a brand and how to turn notoriety into cash. He's my favorite with Houmas Indians, R.J. and Jay Paul Molinere, a close second.

DF
Posted By: RWE Re: swamp people guns - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by buckthumper
I would think a pistol would be more manuverable and safer than a rifle, you would just have to pay attention to where your hand was.

I remember back in the day (a long time ago) as rookie member of the coon hunting posse, it was my job to step on the coons when the dogs didn't want to let go.

Lost quite a few hip boots that way - when the coons weren't all the way dead.

My great uncle suggested money well spent would be a single six.

Got pretty good at doing the ol' point blank bada bing without shooting the dogs OR, more importantly, my foot.

But I agree, a nice semi-auto pistola was my thought when watching some of the one-handed rifle operations on that show.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: swamp people guns - 02/20/12
I really enjoy watching the show, but I do get annoyed at the deal where they are holding 4 different guns on one gator catch.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: swamp people guns - 02/21/12

Well yeah.....duh... grin

Especially the black stocked, chromed version. That one should be able to take just about anything those guys could dish out. And from what I've seen they're not gun Loonies. Guns to them, other than R.J. and Jay Paul, are just tools. Those two are Native Americans, not Cajuns... smile

In this part of the country, we know that a bonafide, card carrying Cajun could trash an anvil, warp a crowbar... shocked

Their guns, all too often, reflect just that... cry

DF

Posted By: humdinger Re: swamp people guns - 02/21/12
I have the apache black version and I agree it would be the ultimate gun. Light weight with a top tang safety and that low maintenance nylon.
Darn apache black versions are selling for around $450 so I wonder if I dare shoot mine much anymore.

I think using a 22 like a bang stick is almost safer than a 22 pistol because at least the discharge is down near the water instead of by your knee when your neighbor tugging on the gator bumps you out of balance.
Posted By: Bryant Re: swamp people guns - 03/02/12
didn't one of the guys actually shoot his son on accident? I think it was willie and junior.
Posted By: DeerTracker Re: swamp people guns - 03/02/12
Didnt technically "shoot" him. If i remember right, he did not shoot the gator in the sweet spot and hit hard bone. They said the bullet fragmented and he got hit with pieces.
Posted By: minnmarcus Re: swamp people guns - 03/02/12
Bye the looks of some of that rusty sh...t they pull out, I do not think they worry too much about their guns!
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: swamp people guns - 03/05/12
Originally Posted by diamondjim

I have noticed that as well. I have seen that one of the boats had at least two separate gun cases. Backups, I suppose.

It is entertaining to watch though. I like the two brothers.... cool

Ditto on this...
Posted By: humdinger Re: swamp people guns - 03/05/12
I've been watching old episodes on netflix (too cheap and stubborn to pay for cable...) so some of these characters must be new.

I know I am getting tempted to buy a SS marlin 60 after watching the older shows. The one thing I'm amazed is seeing Juniour pulling out a very nice in shape ruger 77 w/ a leupold scope occasionally, but everything else is just rusted and nasty.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: swamp people guns - 03/05/12
I like the weight "estimates" the announcer provides for the various gators. He might be the same guy who invented the Pennsylvania "deer-weight tape."
Posted By: humdinger Re: swamp people guns - 03/05/12
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I like the weight "estimates" the announcer provides for the various gators. He might be the same guy who invented the Pennsylvania "deer-weight tape."

Yea... those 600 pound gators being pulled in by 2 guys leaning over the side don't seem realistic for jon boat hull designs...
But maybe those LA guys are a lot tougher than me and my MN walleye boat ;-)
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
When I saw the two women pulling the "800 pound" gator into their boat, I was thinking either those women are really, really strong, or the conversion works out something like 800 pound Cajun = 200 pound Imperial.

Even though I only get cable when travelling, swamp people is probably my favorite show. The violate pretty much every rule of safe boating and gun handling, but are very entertaining.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
I was thinking the entire gun had to be submerged to fire, with the air being trapped in the barrel I figured it would cause the gun to blow up? Learn something new.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
The two women have no business calling themselves gator hunters. Why, on one episode I heard the one with the gator on the line telling the one with the gun to take her time and wait for the right shot. smile

It's almost as bad as that new crew on (we never use an) Ax Men where the guys treat each other in a civil manner.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
Originally Posted by Bryant
didn't one of the guys actually shoot his son on accident? I think it was willie and junior.

IIRC, Willie got zapped by some bone "shrapnel" from a gator's skull.

Junior's a fairly smooth looking guy. Willie, on the other hand, looks just like his Mom... shocked

And she's a hard looking ole Cajun gal, probably tough as nails. She could probably whoop Junior and Willie... laugh

DF
Posted By: 5sdad Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
One can only speculate on the joy that Willie was in the classroom.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Now that's funny raht thar!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
I guess it's that snaggletooth grin that sets him apart... smile

DF
Posted By: humdinger Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[quote=Bryant]

And she's a hard looking ole Cajun gal, probably tough as nails. She could probably whoop Junior and Willie... laugh

DF

I thnk you may have stumbled onto a business opportunity here for single guys going to LA and hoping to get some action... You could serve as a "guide" and " wingman" to keep them from tangling with something they can't handle!
Posted By: ingwe Re: swamp people guns - 03/06/12
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Now that's funny raht thar!

Yep...I don't believe Willie will be late for any Mensa meetings.....
Posted By: DBT Re: swamp people guns - 03/11/12
Like the show, but the way the rifles are neglected and mistreated rubs me up the wrong way. Applying a bit of oil isn't that hard, and, disposable or not, you get longer life and reliability out of your firearm.
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: swamp people guns - 03/12/12
Now
junior is toting a mini-14 with scope. Looks out of place compared to the other rust traps.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: swamp people guns - 03/12/12
Originally Posted by Esox357

Shooot, shooot.... shooot!
© 24hourcampfire