Home
Posted By: rickc CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 02/18/12
anyone have any personal experiance with the CZ switch barrel/caliber bolt action rimfire rifles versus the fixed barrel models as far as accuracy and dependibility are concerned ?
I have the CZ 455. At least I think thats the #. Its the bolt with the .17 HMR and .22 LR barrels. I got it new in the box and put the .17 barrel on and its very very accurate.

I never put the .22 barrel on as I have other .22's. What with the discount I got at a show I am quite satisfied.
Posted By: rickc Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 02/19/12
thanks for the feed back ,ive got a 452 in 22 long rifle that is one of,if not the most accurate 22lr sporting rifle ive had the pleasure to shoot,but was wondering if they lost any of that with the switch barrels ?
I have both the 455 & 452...absolutely nothing was lost on the 455...
glad to hear it and thanks for the response
A short time back a member posted some groups he fired at 144 yards that were around 1 1/2 in with a CZ ? 22lr. Makes higher end guns less attractive for sure.
Posted By: avagadro Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 02/19/12
I dunno ... I still think some of those Coopers are still pretty rifles IMHO.

smile
Posted By: strut64 Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 02/19/12
I have a 455 American 22LR. Like it a lot. Never messed with an older 452 or 453 so I can't compare. But, I look forward to getting a varmint barrel as well and the ability to switch out.
Posted By: Flyfast Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 02/19/12
I finally got the high rings that'll work, and took my 455 Christmas present out to the range yesterday for the first time with the .22 barrel (put a Bushnell Banner 4x12) on it. To say I'm highly satisfied would be an understatement. Fantastic trigger, smooth action, and a tack driver. I was able to shoot 1" groups on the 100, with an intermittent crosswind, and cheap Federal ammo; with only the forestock on sandbags. The rifle is obviously capable of better accuracy than that, because that's the first range rifle time I've had in 7 years.
rock on CZ !!!
Originally Posted by strut64
I have a 455 American 22LR. Like it a lot. Never messed with an older 452 or 453 so I can't compare. But, I look forward to getting a varmint barrel as well and the ability to switch out.

I have a brand new 455 and had a 452 ..It's a CZ enough said
Posted By: E Blair Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 02/27/12
Now what if you have a 455 Lux or FS? Can you just get one of those 455 barrels and fit it in any 455? Or are the barrels specific to the Lux or FS models?
Posted By: FWP Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 02/29/12
I have the 452. A very tight shooting rifle.

I looked at the 455. I think the overall finish on the 455 is better than the 452.

I looked at a few other sites for other comparisons and according to what others posted they equal in accuracy.

I think they are the best value out there in a good shooting rimfire.
I have had several 452 models and one 455 all except one of the 452's were 22 lr's I did have a .17 M2 452. I'm not going to swoon over how great they are, every one of mine had ejection issues from the factory not 100% reliable and I don't think the creepy factory triggers are "fantastic" when compared to some higher priced rimfires I've owned, accuracy was good with every rifle but I wouldn't say any of them were what I would refer to as "tack drivers"...I will say this about CZ bolt action rimfires.... For the money these rifles are the best buy on the market and by a pretty good margin, but not the best rimfire rifles available by a long-shot..........Hb
Posted By: Cheesy Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 03/01/12
VaHillbilly is correct, the trigger on my 452 and wifes 452 sucks, a mile of creep. I bought the 'yodave' trigger kit, but have yet to install. This thread just brought another project to the front. smile
Posted By: avagadro Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 03/01/12
Originally Posted by Cheesy
VaHillbilly is correct, the trigger on my 452 and wifes 452 sucks, a mile of creep. I bought the 'yodave' trigger kit, but have yet to install. This thread just brought another project to the front. smile

smile

I've got a nice Anschutz sporter and was trying to work my way down to fewer .22s, but that 455 really has me tempted. The idea of an easily threaded/suppressed .22lr, .22Mag and .17HMR combo gun is very interesting.
From what I recall of seeing the 455 trigger assembly, it should be fairly easy to swap out the spring, and provided the sear engagement is smooth, you could probably get a very crisp pull. The few 452s I've used have certainly had useable sporting triggers.
The trigger on my 455 is tolerable, as is. No need for a kit, on my rifle, anyhow. Mine shoots so-so in .22LR, but shoots pretty darned good as an HMR. I might fool around and get a WMR barrel for it sometime this fall, if I can force myself to do so. (I have a Hornet, so it would be pretty redundant, in my case). I like the rifle, but switching barrels requires a massive re-zero, like 12" at 50 yds. massive. It's sort of a sore point in the otherwise good experience.
Posted By: RJM Re: CZ switch barrel vs fixed - 03/02/12
ratsmaker...what happens when you go back to original barrel...does it go back to the old zero so you could make some notes and return to zero easily or doesn't come close...

In other words, if you were shooting the Long Rifle barrel, pulled it off to shoot Magnums and changed your mind, when you reinstalled the Long Rifle barrel having not changed the settings on the scope would the Long Rifle barrel still be zeroed?

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
ratsmaker...what happens when you go back to original barrel...does it go back to the old zero so you could make some notes and return to zero easily or doesn't come close...

Bob

Bump because I would really like to know this too!
It goes back pretty close, which is how I came by the 12" number. I'm planning to get another set of rings for another scope, and swap scopes when I swap barrels.. That would at least cut down considerably the huge differences between POI with the barrels. Adding a WMR to the mix would make things even worse, I'd guess, though I haven't done that, yet.
© 24hourcampfire