Home
Just curious how much rimfire ammunition you keep on hand or stock pile?

I'm upwards to 10k rounds stored under my desk, and still pick up a box every week or so.

Gotta love shooting that is cheap and fun.
I usually have around 10 bricks of American Eagles, so 4000 rounds, plus some random federal bricks and boxes of 100 CCIs-CBs, stingers and such. You do the math.
some where in between the two of you. Some bulk stuff I regret buying so don't know if it will ever get shot smile So I guess 3k rounds of stuff I like.
I have a few boxes lying around:

[Linked Image]
Around 5000 rounds....sometimes more.
Holy hoarders Batman!! Dat's a whole lotta ammo whb
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have a few boxes lying around:

[Linked Image]

LMAO - I thought the 5k rounds I had was plenty on hand. Maybe I need to change my standards. smile
wildhobby, looks like we think alike....

dont have any recent pix of the whole 22LR stash, but have stumbled into a few good deals over the last few years on LR's.

last year i used my bass pro credit card as my company card, to get the "bonus points" they offer, then i turned those into free stuff. (usuually ammo).

right after christmas i went down & got 16 bricks of Win subsonic HP for about what i'd normally pay for 2 bricks. already had a pretty good stash of that stuff, but now have a real good stash. hard to turn down free ammo.

my last purchase of 17Mach2 eleys, in case we are ever overrun by zombie rats & squirrels. (couple boxes if 22mags laying there too).

[Linked Image]

I'm in the 5000 round crowd but it never hurts to have more.

ddj
Never without thousands (and thousands) of rounds of various 22 fodder here. Another old habit that is unbreakable.

When folks at our club were whining about "no 22 ammo" a coupla years ago, I had plenty. Ya snooze, ya generaly lose, but I was gentleman enough to share, depending on who needed it. Kids got plenty. ;O)
Last I checked, I was around 12k rounds. I've been drawing down my stocks of older cheap bulk .22lr and restocking lesser quantities of pricier specialty ammo instead. I try to keep at least 1 brick of every bulk ammo type, and 100rds of most specialty .22s (subsonic,standard velocity, hyper velocity,etc).
all of my ammo and guns were lost in the big flood. i have no guns.
I am a piker compared to some of you at 7500 rounds. Its all Winchester Super X and some of those Yellow Jacket HPs.
15K - 22LR
10K - 17HM2
10K - 17HMR
10K - 22MRF

Jeff
I have never counted but Im sure its in the 40k round area. Gots to stock up when you can!!

Second and third shelf up, I don't know if I would ever shoot all that, but I got it for the same reason my father said men have nipples...Just in case...

[Linked Image]
...about 30k
My son used to shoot 20,000 a year, all aimed and spotted through a single shot rifle, so I keep that many around. It's only 4 cases.
I try to keep about 5K on hand at all times.
Prolly not enough, but I'm about to rectify that! grin

maddog
Actually I have added about 10,000 rounds since I took the picture...

NEVER start a thread asking about powder and primers...
off topic but--

got a real good laugh out of your "good times" photo...

i did that very thing back in 1959 or early 1960 as a 3 year old--got a real zap, and walked around for days sayin, "pug it in shuckey" (plug it in, shocky).

though my mom is 94 years old now, she still has that knife, with about 1/4 inch of the pointed end completely melted off...
I keep 1K of target ammo and about 1K of cheaper stuff.........Hb
About 10,000 rounds of .22 LR; 5,000 rounds of .22 Mag and about 1500 rounds of .17 HMR.
Q: What is the difference between sex and .22 ammo?

A: It's possible to have enough sex.

(Not my idea - this was spoken by my friend around 1983 as we walked out of the K-mart store with two cases of Winchester Super-X ammo each. They were about $90 per case IIRC.)
Wildhobbybobby: Wow!
That is an impressive munitions cache!
I thought I had a lot - at about 10,000 rounds of 22 L.R. in 3 types and some 2,000 17 HMR rounds along with 500 17 Mach2 rounds and a similar number in 22 Magnum - I also have about 400 rounds of rimfire shot shells come to think of that.
Enjoy some quality trigger time with your "cache".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Q: What is the difference between sex and .22 ammo?

A: It's possible to have enough sex.

(Not my idea - this was spoken by my friend around 1983 as we walked out of the K-mart store with two cases of Winchester Super-X ammo each. They were about $90 per case IIRC.)

You must be a lot older than me. grin
I generally have several thousand rounds in case of the zombie apocolypse.
about 40-50 lbs.
I pulled my Browning SA-22 out of the closet last week, and since then, realized that I don't have near enough....
probably only 5 or 6 bricks

my nine year old daughter is addicted to burning it up thru "our" Remington speedmaster 552. We shot half a brick just this Monday while she was out of school for President's Day.

the panic hasn't set in here yet, ammo is still plentiful on the shelves at Walmart. I hope it stays that way.
I look at the $8.97 price stickers on the 40 bricks of Federal Bulk HP in my stash and giggle uncontrollably.

Then I look at the stickers on the old yellow box W-W Super-X and lose it altogether.

I tend to have personality problems...
For you CMP'ers they have a case of Remington military surplus for 90 bucks plus S/H on their E-store. Get in line.
500 rounds of WMR
1000 rounds of .17 HMR
4000 rounds of .22LR

You guys make me look like a piker.
Will buy more.
Originally Posted by LANDMAN4389
Just curious how much rimfire ammunition you keep on hand or stock pile?

I'm upwards to 10k rounds stored under my desk, and still pick up a box every week or so.

Gotta love shooting that is cheap and fun.

[Linked Image]
That's funny chit right there!
Considering maximum accuracy potential, not just going "bang" and hitting a tin can or even a squirrel, I'm curious about the shelf life of .22 ammo.

I've heard different things about it over the years.

Paul
Originally Posted by Paul39
Considering maximum accuracy potential, not just going "bang" and hitting a tin can or even a squirrel, I'm curious about the shelf life of .22 ammo.

I've heard different things about it over the years.

Paul

I'm curious as well. I had some old (20 year) .22 WMR ammo that split about one case in five on firing. Winchester replaced it for me but there was nothing wrong with it when I bought it. New ammo worked just fine in the rifle.
I find it harder and harder to accumulate a reasonable amount of .22lr ammmo these days as I have 2 grandsons who all of a sudden decided they really enjoyed shooting the little rimfires.

I got a good deal on some Federal AutoMatch before Christmas (325 bulk paks) and bought 5o paks -- each of the boys got 10 packs as a Cristmas present. When I went to the range this past week-end there were less than that 15 paks in my ammo magazine - I ask my wife if anyone had been into it and she said my two son's and the two grandson's had stopped by on the way to the range and picked up a couple of paks each. When I saw them in church I ask what happened to the 3250 rounds I'd given them for Christmas and they told me they were "saving it" just in case ammo got hard to find. I went home after Church and put a new combination lock on the storage magazine. It's a good thing they both have Anschutz bolt-actions as I couldn't afford to keep them in ammo if the yad a 10/22's.

Bottom line is I feel "naked" without at least 6 to 7K around the house.

I currently have 12,000 rounds of 17mach2,4000 rounds of 17HMR, and about 18,000 of 22lr on hand.
Hi Vel, that pic is great! After hearing all the 10K, 20K, 40K responses, your pic just cracked me up!

Save the last bullet for yourself!
Probably a bit over 10,000 rds...bought a bunch before I retired...
I never let the pile dip below 70 thousand rounds, as there are no ammo makers up here anymore.
That is like asking a rancher how many cattle he owns. It's considered poor taste.
Originally Posted by Waders
Hi Vel, that pic is great! After hearing all the 10K, 20K, 40K responses, your pic just cracked me up!

Save the last bullet for yourself!

wade,

am glad that you (and others), enjoyed that pic--

i'm usually a fairly serious fellow, but on some occasions i will digress to humor--which is always good!

for a merry heart works like a medicine...

(and also, the occasional chance at a random creative opportunity like this helps to keep the mind sharp).
Everyone seems to be preparing for the collapse of society and fighting off hordes of marauders. In truth, the real key will be keeping a low profile and keeping something in the pot.

Taylor made for the .22LR.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

I gotta get myself one of those shelves, I'm tired of storing in tote boxes.
I try to keep 5ooo rounds of .22lr on hand.
I just want to know how you control yourselves from wanting to go out and shoot all that ammo instead of it sitting on selves?

Ammo doesn't last long in my house. If its here I want to go shoot it. I keep a brick at all times just for the potential SHTF.
Less than 3000 and I feel naked!
..I feel good that I am not the only "hoarder".... Last year while digging around I came across 15K rounds of Winchester Super-X that was stashed away during the Klinton scare....

...simple rule...when you shoot up a box of ammo go to the store and buy two...you will always be ahead....way ahead.

Bob
After reading the thread i figured i needed more. Unfortuantly 2 brick when added to the top shelf of the safe, broke said shelf and no i have 22 shells in all corners of the garage.lol now gues we build stronger shelf
Originally Posted by RJM
..I feel good that I am not the only "hoarder".... Last year while digging around I came across 15K rounds of Winchester Super-X that was stashed away during the Klinton scare....

...simple rule...when you shoot up a box of ammo go to the store and buy two...you will always be ahead....way ahead.

Bob

I live by that rule. STAY READY
Thanks to this thread, I just discovered I am a hoarder. 16,000+.

That's crazy.
quite simply enough that if they stop making it, I can still spend a day or few plinking at dump and not worry about making a dent in the supply. Have made it a habit that everytime I am at a store that had a good deal for the times to pick up a few bricks. Been doing that for a long time and have bricks with $5.99 price tags on them.
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
wildhobby, looks like we think alike....

dont have any recent pix of the whole 22LR stash, but have stumbled into a few good deals over the last few years on LR's.

last year i used my bass pro credit card as my company card, to get the "bonus points" they offer, then i turned those into free stuff. (usuually ammo).

right after christmas i went down & got 16 bricks of Win subsonic HP for about what i'd normally pay for 2 bricks. already had a pretty good stash of that stuff, but now have a real good stash. hard to turn down free ammo.

my last purchase of 17Mach2 eleys, in case we are ever overrun by zombie rats & squirrels. (couple boxes if 22mags laying there too).

[Linked Image]

why in the heck would you vac seal it?

I have 1 round left.........

Originally Posted by eh76

why in the heck would you vac seal it? I have 1 round left.........

had a fair sized pile of Hornady & CCI Mach2 sittin on the shelf already, so left a few bricks out of the eley out, vacsealed the others. stacks a helluva lot better when sealed up like that, also handier to grab a brick when we go to the range.

are you savin that last round for a special occasion? grin
11000, CCI Mini Mags, 9000, HMR's wouldn't want to run short
© 24hourcampfire