Home
Posted By: lwh723 Ruger 10/22 failure to fire - 11/11/12
I've got my grandpa's 10/22 over for diagnosis. Bolt appears to bounce open slightly after being released, and then when the trigger is pulled, the round doesn't go off.

If I push the bolt forward (it's a very small amount) then it will fire.

I've given it a thorough cleaning. I'm wondering if the guide spring needs replaced? It's just a plinking gun that's seen about 2 decades of grand kids (yours truly included) ripping off countless banana clips.

Thought I would check here before I start shotgunning parts replacement.

Thanks!
Sounds like you are on the right track, I would replace the guide spring.
Has it been detail cleaned recently? Although Redhawk1 is probably right, I'd give it a thorough de-gunking and lubing first if not already done.
How do you get them bananas in the clips? Anyhoo I would quit shootin bananas in it and the problem will go away!!
I recently replaced my 10/22's guide spring (actually the entire handle assembly since it was the same price) after similar FTFs as well as poor accuracy from a weak lockup that sounds similar to what you're experiencing. About the only other things that can cause this are an extractor dragging on the barrel, or lead/carbon built up in the chamber.
I need a few magazines for my .22 caliber Walther PPK/S. Any suggestions as to possible vendors?
© 24hourcampfire