Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
Which ones are the best, accuracy, weight, feel, ascetics
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
probbly the one that you shoot the best. i use the 77-22 mosty now mainly because i cant see iron sight well. but when i was younger the rossi 22 pump was the go to gun. in the field off hand it was deadly. aimed really naturally and you could pick off a squirrel it the top of cotton wood trees.
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
i lean towards sporter-weight bolt guns with a mid-powered variable such as 3-9x, 4-12x, etc.

i hunt open, mature hardwoods about as much as i do thick timber, so for my use the 17mach2 works great, but i could get by with a 22LR for most hunting if i had to.

Posted By: rem141r Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
depends on your budget. the kimber hunters, the cooper jackson squirrel rifle, the anschutz all have excellent reputations. all are out of my budget. for $250-ish, my old remington 581 and 582's are very accurate. for $400-5-ish my ruger 77/22's are great after some trigger work. i don't have any experience with the cheaper savages and marlins but know people who love them. all depends on your tastes and budget. me, i like walnut and blue and classic styling, hence the 77/22 is my go-to squirreler. i just bought one for each of my boys too.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
I like retro guns for squirrels.

Old Mossbergs, Marlins, and Remington's make pretty tight little rifles for blasting squirrels.

My Mossberg
[Linked Image]

Borrowed Remington
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
I bought a Kimber Hunter when they came out and still use it for hunting squirrels.It is a beautifully made and accurate .22 rifle. My first serious squirrel rifle was a Remington Model 513. I still have it and would recommend any of the 500 series Remington bolt action .22 rifles as good choices.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
I've killed more squirrels with my old Marlin 60 than anything else I own, probably a couple of pickup loads full to the rails, not to mention rabbits, back when I was a kid.
Ya use what ya got, of course, and that's what I had.

I've got nicer rifles now, but if I was heading out for tree rats, I'd just as likely grab that old Marlin and take it along. It's balance is better than anything else I own, excepting maybe Dad's old Stevens 86D, but I can't see the iron sights on the Stevens as well as the scope on my Marlin. The other rifles don't even compare when it comes to carrying them around.
Hey Winnie...if your friend/relative is ever interested in parting with that Remington, give me a holler...
Posted By: woodson Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
CZ453 American in 22LR.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/01/13
Winnie...when I was in WA state we used to shoot those squirrels..called them "gray diggers"....we didnt eat them... Do you?
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
Do you guys think a 17M2 is better than a 22 for squirrels?
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
Sure do like my Remington 541-S that I bought new in the late '70's. I just put a Leupold 3-9 EFR on it. It's drilled lots of squirrel's heads. There are usually some on G/broker but good ones ain't cheap.
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

up close, say to 50 yards or thereabouts, wont matter either way.

but, if you hunt open areas where you might have shot opportunities at 75+ yards to 100 yards or more...then the 17's sure make it easier to hit 'em.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
Use what you have, and learn how it shoots. My first was a Glenfield 60, not the best but it did work. I have a Sako Quad in 17HMR, very accurate, but anything other than a head shot is not worth cleaning. Yes they can be very tasty indeed.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
Beldings ground squirrels?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Winnie Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
Originally Posted by ingwe
Winnie...when I was in WA state we used to shoot those squirrels..called them "gray diggers"....we didnt eat them... Do you?

I only eat tree squirrel. No ground squirrels, coyotes or other critters don't mind getting fat off them though.

Nothing better than squirrel with a side of biscuits and gravy.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

but, if you hunt open areas where you might have shot opportunities at 75+ yards to 100 yards or more...then the 17's sure make it easier to hit 'em.

I've killed squirrels out to 225 yards with my old Mossberg.

If you know where the bullet will hit at 150 yards then I say use a 22lr. I know my rifle sighted in at 75 yards will send the bullet right where the bottom post of the scope is aimed at 150.

I can kill anything from a few yards out to 150 with out twisting dials on my scope.

You can buy a brick of 22lr for pretty darn cheap compared to the HMR.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
I've got a sako quad, with all 4 barrels so I can try any of the chamberings, I haven't shot any critter with the 17HM2 yet, but the 17HMR is extremely accurate.

I need to put a better scope on it, and may start looking for a wood stock.
But I'm thinking about getting a cooper, Annine, or Kimber
Posted By: catman925 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/02/13
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

If you know where the bullet will hit at 150 yards then I say use a 22lr. I know my rifle sighted in at 75 yards will send the bullet right where the bottom post of the scope is aimed at 150.

I can kill anything from a few yards out to 150 with out twisting dials on my scope.

hey ded eye dik u ought to teach the olimpic guys how to shute tree rats at 225 yards away

u so ful of shyt u need a ceptic tank insted of a stumak
Posted By: Winnie Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/03/13
Originally Posted by catman925
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

hey ded eye dik u ought to teach the olimpic guys how to shute tree rats at 225 yards away

u so ful of shyt u need a ceptic tank insted of a stumak

I think I should teach you how to spell first.
Posted By: yeselk Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/04/13
My all time favorite is a Winchester Mod 69A with an old 4X Weaver with fine crosshair.
Posted By: Sancho_Maes Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/04/13
Fine choice JC. old school weaver and fine crosshairs!
Posted By: Aviator Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/04/13
I have a 541-T that I bought about 20 years ago it has killed more southern Indiana squirrels than I care to count !
Posted By: ribka Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/04/13
Win model 63
Posted By: jrog72 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/04/13
I like to use my old ten gauge side by side, never miss and good eatin.
Posted By: 25-06 Lilja Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/20/13
I would start with checking out the CZ rifles.
Posted By: vonfatman Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/20/13
This is is my personal fav....

[Linked Image]

Or maybe....

[Linked Image]
Bob
Posted By: maddog Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/20/13
Here are my two squirrel rifles. One is a Marlin 39a that I bought back in 1974. The other is a H&R Sportster that I bought just last year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hunted practically the whole season, with the little single shot.

maddog
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/21/13

Yes the 17 M2 a better squirrel rifle. I also have a Sako Quad and when using the M2 you will not have runners when you body shoot them.

I know everyone else always head shoots squirrels with a rifle but I seem to body shoot a bout 50% of them.

Dink
My favorite for squirrels and everything else is the Browning A-bolt 22 I bought new in 1987. Its the only gun I'll never sell. While I haven't hunted with them, me and the wife each have a Kimber 22 and they're very nice I have to say.
I almost bought an A-bolt .22 back in the early 1990's, but chose a Ruger 77-22 instead. I traded the Ruger off when I went on a "gotta have a semiauto" bend. Should have kept it. Got a Ruger Volquartsen stainless heavy barrel with a huge Redfield AO scope on it, and it was the absolute worst squirrel hunting rifle I ever tried. Went back to bolt action sporter with a Kimber 22. The Ruger 77-22 is a nice rifle, all steel action, ten shot flush magazine, reasonably lightweight, easy to work on trigger, three position safety, decent stocks, etc. If I didn't have a Kimber, I'd buy a Ruger 77-22 or a CZ452 American.
Posted By: Tip926 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/25/13
Anschutz 54 sporter.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/25/13
Synthetic TC G2 Contender with MGM 22" barrel.
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/25/13
Ruger 77-22 with leupold 3x9x33 EFR. No body shots, just head shots. Good shooting
I have a number of different .22s, just like most guys, but the one that really "speaks to me" is my old Marlin Mountie:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: passport Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/25/13
Originally Posted by vonfatman
This is is my personal fav....

[Linked Image]

Or maybe....

[Linked Image]
Bob

I like your style Bob
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/25/13
Usually carry a model 63 Winchester. Still can shoot iron sights pretty well. Also have a model 67 single shot that I use on occasion. It will literally drive tacks with CCI Stingers.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/25/13
Steyr Zephyr

Cisco
Posted By: vonfatman Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/26/13
Thanks passport.

Bob
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Best squirrel rifle - 01/26/13
I've got two, Ruger 10/22 w. Weaver Classic K4 and CZ-452 Special w. Weaver Classic K2.5. The CZ is the more accurate rifle but I've had the Ruger since I was 12...so hard to choose a favorite, they both get about equal trigger time.
Posted By: JAP Re: Best squirrel rifle - 02/05/13
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
Ruger 77-22 with leupold 3x9x33 EFR. No body shots, just head shots. Good shooting

I use the exact same rifle and scope combo.

Jim
Posted By: timbo762 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 02/05/13
The Winchester Model 61 is my all time favorite.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Best squirrel rifle - 02/17/13
Lots of excellent 22 s on the market ,IMO you can't beat CZ USA 452 American in 22 LR ,beautifully built ,extremely accurate and reasonably priced
Posted By: drducati Re: Best squirrel rifle - 02/19/13
BRNO #1,or #2,or 456. CZ452 (511 is not bad either). Marlin 39, Rem 500 series of any variety. Win 52 Sporter, Model 61,63,69. All great rifles. Take your pick.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Best squirrel rifle - 02/24/13
Cz 452 22 LR with Leupold 3x9x40 with parralax set to 50 yds. is my go to gun when the leaves fall.
Posted By: Bryant Re: Best squirrel rifle - 02/24/13
im in need of a good 22 also. My dad is a winchester man and has a 61 a couple of 63's and a browning 52 sporter. I think I would look at the cz's
I have hunted squirrel for many years with a Mossberg Plinkster .22 and a cheap 3-9x40 scope. I prefer bolt action, but with how fast the squirrels can get away I'd perfer quick follow up shots. I say a 10/22 is the ideal squirrel rifle, it's cheap to shoot, and for the money the best semi-auto .22 on the market. If you want a bolt action go CZ 452. I have heard and seen way to many good things about those little rifles. They can hang with the custon .22's out of the box in terms of accuracy. Also as stated before they are very pretty. Hope it helped.
Good Hunting
Posted By: Seafire Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/14/13
having a CZ 452 and a Model 94/22, and a couple of 10/22s, all of them do a darn good job...

however my favorite is an old Savage 24, in 410...the 22 on top is shot out...belonged to my granddad, who passed away in 1968...

I love the 410 for squirrels, using number 7 or 8 shot...

will take out the squirrel, doesn't harm the eating part...
at 25 to 30 feet, it throws a pattern out about the size of a garbage can lid... so ya can hardly miss.. and ya don't have to be aiming all that specific...

almost like cheating...

one of those Winchester 94s in 410 would be a pretty nifty little squirrel rig
Posted By: RWE Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/14/13
I had been using a Browning SA-22, but recently acquired a Western Auto R117 (Mossberg Palomino)

I'm thinking the Mossberg may stay and the Browning may be trade fodder.
Posted By: hunter01 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/15/13
Here is my M54 Sporter. Makes a great squirrel rifle. Is topped with a 3x9 Compact Leupold with 22 rimfire reticles. [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/15/13
Any RF rifle chambered in wither 17HM2 or 22S/L/LR that is sufficiently accurate.

I like stainless and 17HM2s, so a Marlin 917M2S or Savage Mark II BVSS would likely be my 1st choice. "Best", "Feel", and "Ascetics" are all objective criteria, to each his own, while "Accuracy" and "Weight" are subjective and easily measured by common standards. My go to squirrel rifle is a Marlin 917M2S that currently sports a 4-16x40 Weaver V16. It is very accurate and, while a little long and heavy, it feels and looks good to me.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/15/13
I 've showed this before I think. Used on older Remington 521 T and a newer Remington bolt. Some big Virginia fox squirrels
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/15/13
K22 Superamerica 6-18 Leupold AO 50yds[img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/15/13
Winchester 52R zanders HB, 38gr subsonic HPs, old 70's redfield 3x9. slick as a blackfish in the floor of an alum boat.
[Linked Image]
very best
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/15/13

So you moved from Washington... No wonder this state is going downhill all the time; all the good people are leaving.
Posted By: BrianSin Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/15/13
My old remington 581, the only 22 LR I have.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/16/13
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

So you moved from Washington... No wonder this state is going downhill all the time; all the good people are leaving.

I was in corporate exile there for 5 years, 4 months, and 2 days....but who is counting? wink

I still regard leaving MT for that period of time as my biggest mistake...and trust me when I tell you Ive made some doozies!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/16/13
Originally Posted by Seafire

however my favorite is an old Savage 24, in 410...the 22 on top is shot out...belonged to my granddad, who passed away in 1968...

Ever consider relining the 22, or is a Savage 24 22LR barrel to small of a diameter to do that?

Being as how it was Grampa's gun I would look into it.

Posted By: MagMarc Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/16/13
Best bang for the buck in today's 22 bolt guns is CZ
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/16/13
Dat second one is a cool lookin skwerl! laugh
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/16/13
Originally Posted by RWE
I had been using a Browning SA-22, the Browning may be trade fodder.

RWE, I've regretted getting rid of my SA and am looking to replace it. Let me know if you decide to dump it. I'd love to be the guy that makes YOU regret it, too....grin , Don
Posted By: hunter718 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/17/13
Winchester 75 Sporter.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/17/13
He was a challenge wink
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/17/13
Somebody on another thread posted a pic yesterday of a pile of goofy looking fox squirrels like that they said they got in Va...

I think they are cool cool
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/17/13
This one made several more, I spotted them all over the place all fall.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/17/13
[Linked Image]cz 452 American, winchester power point
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/17/13
That rifle is too pretty to take afield!
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/18/13
How about this 1416 Annie.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeoW Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/19/13
Marlin 880 Squirrel, CZ 452, Marlin 39. I grab one of these when rat huntin.

Almost forgot, Ruger 10/22 and TC Contender carbine. All good!
Posted By: grovey Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/19/13
I used a remington 521t for yrs, but recently sold it. I bought a 880sq awhile back to replace it. It shoots great with a couple different kinds of cheap and mid grade ammo,but much more fussy then my remington was. I did the trigger spring tricks on it,and have the pull down to around 3 pds. I have a boyds laminate stock and a ss trigger gaurd on the way. I plan on making up for lost time from a knee replacement. Tree rats beware...
Posted By: rlott Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/21/13
In the early 80's I gave a guy 40 bucks for Marlin 39A Century Limited. He was transferring overseas and couldn't take it with him. I stuck a cheap Tasco 4X scope on it and I've been dragging it around the woods ever since. All my kids have been introduced to shooting with it. The stock is banged up and the brass is tarnished & it still shoots perfect.

Lo and behold I find out they're selling for 700 bucks nowadays. Lol.
Posted By: johnw Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/21/13
my best squirrel killing rifle is not my most accurate rifle, nor is it my most reliable...

my favorite rifle for the squirrel woods is my old 552a speedmaster semi-auto...
mushy trigger pull, shoots about a tight tennis ball group at 50 yards, and just occasionally it'll bobble on the ejection and stick one on me...

but it is the sweetest pointing and swinging squirrel killing rifle i've ever held in my hands...

the squirrel timbers here are pretty thickly grown over, and a 35 yd shot is on the long side... but when 2 or 3 squirrels are running through all the understory the sure point and easy swing are much appreciated...

I have a 2.5X shotgun scope mounted on it, and it is surely quick to get on target.

I also have a sako and a remington in bolt action that are more accurate and reliable, but i kill more squirrel with the speedmaster...

If I were to find any fault with the speedmaster, it is that the action toggle for it is on the left side, and ahead of the receiver. Sometimes on a high angle shot I will drop my left hand back and grip rigt behind the toggle, and when it comes back to cycle it'll get your attention...
Posted By: 7025Jack Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/21/13
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
How about this 1416 Annie.
[Linked Image]

That is a very nice looking Annie! The 64 actioned rifles are lighter and easier to carry with plenty good accuracy. I own a mint 164M that I have not had a chance to shoot yet. Looking forward to it though!Here is my 1422:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/21/13
Beautiful 1422,I am a bit envious.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/21/13
As a youngster I loved nothing more than sitting in a grove of hickory nut trees with my grandfather's Win M-90 on my lap, waiting for an old fox squirrel to show .
In college I enjoyed head shooting them with my Anchutz M-54 sporter and today my choice is a Rem 40X in a synthetic stock and a 4-12X Leupold with mil-dots.

They were, and are, all great.
LMK when you decide to sell that 1416! smile
Ever seen a 17 squirrel CF?

Here's a Cooper Model 38 single shot from way back.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gregoriev Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/21/13
39a with "realist" low power variable- - 1.5-4x I think. Dead tree rat. If I miss, it's not the gun! She likes Winnie Super X HP's.
Posted By: LarryfromBend Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/22/13
When I lived in Squirrel country (Mobile) I bought a Browning semi-auto (the little takedown). I thought it was a great, little Squirrel gun. I still have it, but haven't fired it since I left Mobile (1987). Memories.....
Posted By: vonfatman Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/23/13
Of course all the rifles in this thread are wonderful, but the memories (as LarryfromBend just reminded me) are why I keep coming back to re-read. Very good thread.

Bob
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/23/13
I've put an uncountable amount of squirrel meat on the table with my old BRNO #1 sporter, topped with either a vintage 2-7x Redfield, or 2-7x Leupold scope.

Here is one buried in camo:

[Linked Image]

Also use my CZ 452's (FS, and Varmint).

And, if we turn on the wayback machine, my Benjamin .22 caliber air rifle was (still is) quite accurate on them as well.

dave
Here are a few of my favorites.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/25/13
My old dead eye dick rifle is almost 100 years old, a BSA model 12. Depends on the woods now, the BSA with a heavy 29" barrel is about 10 pounds. Micrometer peep sites. Grey or red in the sight is food on the table. No wind 75 yard+ no issue at all. If I need to walk a lot and shoot off hand it's the Sako Quad with a scope. It really is the rifle you know and can shoot, does not matter how much it cost or how supposedly how "good" it is.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/25/13
Originally Posted by Johnny_Twoshoes
[Linked Image]

I like this a lot.What is it?
Posted By: ASTRO Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/25/13
Originally Posted by yeselk
My all time favorite is a Winchester Mod 69A with an old 4X Weaver with fine crosshair.
Yep, What he said. The best ever built. Works good for J-Birds and Crows too.
Posted By: woodson Re: Best squirrel rifle - 03/25/13
Originally Posted by Johnny_Twoshoes
[Linked Image]

Is that a Lanny's Clip there? Nice knife.
Posted By: GoWyo Looks like a Sako - 03/25/13
Model 78 maybe?

I have several squirrel rifles, but here in WY no hardwood forests to hunt them. It's on my bucket list. I've shot pine squirrels, but don't care for them as table fare. Maybe I need to try a different recipe? Been years since I 'et 'em.

Savage Anschutz 54 is my old favorite. I just picked up a 541T and Win 52B reissue last week. I'll have to see how they shoot.

I have several .22 mags, but I imagine they are a little hard on skippy, they sure are fun on prairie dogs tho'.
Posted By: Johnny_Twoshoes Re: Looks like a Sako - 03/25/13
Woodson, that is indeed a Lanny's clip.
Made by John Lloyd.

RH Clark, that would be a Sako P72.
It's a great rifle and one that inspires confidence with it's superb accuracy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tri Re: Best squirrel rifle - 04/01/13
[Linked Image]
Anschutz 22 WMR
Posted By: rlott Re: Best squirrel rifle - 04/02/13
That is a sweet rifle. I love the 22WMR. Proper shot placement of a 40gr JHP inside of 100 yards will DRT a lot more than tree rats.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Best squirrel rifle - 04/02/13
Too much for squirrels IMHO.Makes for head shots only.I eat what I shoot.

I really like a standard velocity HP in 22 LR.Eley HP is my favorite small game round.
Posted By: Old Coach Re: Best squirrel rifle - 04/05/13
Winchester Model 61 pump
Marlin 39A
CZ 452 American
CZ Scout
Ruger 10-22 Clark Custom
NULA
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Best squirrel rifle - 04/07/13
Which ones are the best, accuracy, weight, feel, ascetics

I have a little first year production Winchester 94-22 lever gun, that is my all time favorite squirrel rifle.

Gunner
My pal in W. Va. was a serious squirrel hunter..His favorite and mine the few times I hunted there was the old Rem. 521 T..Nice little rifle and very accurate..
© 24hourcampfire