Home
Dad kept them loaded in a small .22 pistol when we went fishing. Not really sure what for... rogue snakes?

I know I nailed a few chipmunks back as a kid and they certainly didnt slow down any.

Are they really any account on snakes?

DO you use them? Have you found them to be useful for anything??
This stuff

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cci-shot-shells-22-lr-12-20-rounds.aspx?a=289683

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=15395

Never used the 22lr but have used the 22 mag. They are very effective on snakes. I use a S&W 48 with the. 8 3/8 in barrel. Hasbeen
They work on snakes but I have shot a bushel full of dragonflies with them.
I know you can shoot your little brother with them and he will live to rat you out.
I use a LOT of the CCI in LR through my Henry to kill water snakes.
I know that a round applied to the ass of the neighborhood dog while it head is buried deep in the garbage can it knocked over in our yard was sufficient to cause said dog to try to leave the can through the bottom. The can is probably still in low-earth orbit!
I just do not have any use for them. You must be very close to kill anything. In a pistol with snake at your feet it will kill.
I've used them on rattlesnakes and they have been effective at 6 to 8 feet or closer. AS a kid, we used to sit on the porch of the cabin, in the dark, and throw cracker crumbs out. When we heard the pitter-patter of rat feet, we'd spotlight them with a flashlight and shoot them with .22 LR shotshells from revolvers.
Why would anyone shoot a chipmunk, unless it was burrowing under your house.

They seem so happy all the time, my dad used to say he wished he was a chipmunk..
We've shot a few grouse (head shots) at close range with them when close to a deer hunting area to keep the noise to a minimum. By close I remember within 20'!
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Carpenter bees...
We used to shoot rats with them.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Carpenter bees...

I prefer the paddle method on those.
They work OK on snakes as long as the distance involved is very short. The #12 shot is called "dust shot" for a reason.

From a rifled barrel the pattern disperses very quickly. There are smoothbore 22s and the pattern holds together much better from one of them.
A smoothbore like the Mossberg Mosskeeto or a Remington 510 is a whole different ball game
The sparrows in my shop laughed at me before I got a Remington 552 smoothbore. Now they scream and flee when they see me.
Crockettnj: I often Hunt Prairie Dogs in Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota and here in Montana during snake season.
My method of Hunting often takes me out of the truck and far from same.
While Hunting like this I always carry a S&W revolving pistol in either 22 L.R. or 22 Magnum on my hip. They are loaded with rimfire shotshells.
It takes about 3 to 4 rounds of 22 L.R. shot to kill a big Rattler and 2 or 3 rounds of 22 Magnum shot when fired from a pistol to accomplish the same.
I am not sure how far away the Chipmunks you fired upon were at - but snakes at 6' can definitely be killed with this ammo.
I know - I done it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I don't ....
Kids and handguns, at 25 feet, shooting at clay pigeons. To keep the confidence level high, I like to give them stuff they cannot miss. That and you can shoot NECO wafers out of the air and show off.
Use it for rats and snakes in the barns and sheds. Even at close range the shot won't penetrate tin or sheet metal.

Been times were I killed >20 rats in a single night using a single six. You'd run in with a flashlight and try to make the first six shots count then do your best to reload quickly before the stragglers get to cover. Fun times.
I've used one to kill a possum in the attic of the house. Up close and into the head and all was over.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Dad kept them loaded in a small .22 pistol when we went fishing. Not really sure what for... rogue snakes?

I know I nailed a few chipmunks back as a kid and they certainly didnt slow down any.

We keep a revolver loaded with them in the boat for snakes. Fishing a bayou, we have run into nests of water moccasins that wanted in the boat with us. Works a lot better than two guys jumping up and down trying to whack the boarders with paddles.
Starlings in the outbuildings is the only use I've found for em. Tried em on rats at 12-15 feet, didn't stop em.
"I know you can shoot your little brother with them and he will live to rat you out."

CrowRifle....you must be my older brother!!!
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I just do not have any use for them. You must be very close to kill anything. In a pistol with snake at your feet it will kill.

My experience is the same as yours. I don't like getting that close to a snake to use this dustshot. I've shot about 6-8 rattlers with this stuff and all the seemed to do is curl up rattle and get pissed off. One lad said that you had to shoot them 2-3 times to kill'em and he is probably right.

I like a shotgun, when handy, or just plain lead, .22lr or .40S&W
I used them years ago......
and learned how to cuss. grin
I used one once to evaporate a hornet on a juniper branch once and caught the ricochet full in the face. No damage, except to the hornet, which I could not find. Stung a bit though. And I still have my eyes.

1flier
most guys use ccis but I can tell you from lots of experience that winchesters are the only way to go for 22 shotshells. you get twice the effective range. I shot bullfrogs with them for years and if you hit them in the back and head it paralizes them instantly.. when I was a kid I would spotlight rats in the barn and literally killed buckets full. Lots of clean fun for a farm boy.. if you carry them for snakes and use anything but the winchesters multiple shots are needed, never needed more than one shot with the wins...
I kill upward of a hundred watersnakes every summer. With the CCIs, I rarely need more than one shot from the Henry, usually from 6-8ft.
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
I know that a round applied to the ass of the neighborhood dog while it head is buried deep in the garbage can it knocked over in our yard was sufficient to cause said dog to try to leave the can through the bottom. The can is probably still in low-earth orbit!

laugh laugh

I've used them to shoot chipmunks around my house out in the woods[reg..22 rifle ammo to dangerous], and I used them to shoot mice in the fur shed out of my Ruger Single Six.

maddog
Originally Posted by maddog
... I used them to shoot mice in the fur shed out of my Ruger Single Six.

I find that if you give your guns a regular shampoo and brushing, they don't shed nearly as much. grin
Originally Posted by Chris Brice
Starlings in the outbuildings is the only use I've found for em. Tried em on rats at 12-15 feet, didn't stop em.

I have used 22 LR shotshells on mice and small snakes,

and 22 MAG shotshells on rats and bigger snakes. Both with good results.

Anyone have the shot size difference between the two ?

The ones I've seen were marked #11 some brands, #12 on others.

I've killed a lot of copperheads and cotton mouths with LR shot loads. Usually 4-12 feet away.

Leaving the woods late one evening the bats were flying like crazy. I managed to get two out of six shots.

Last time I looked they were priced at $10 a box.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Why would anyone shoot a chipmunk, unless it was burrowing under your house.

They seem so happy all the time, my dad used to say he wished he was a chipmunk..

Didn't live around Crocketnj, did he? wink

The ones we used were the all metal kinds with the front crimped over. I cant imagine them being much account on anything bigger than insects. I think they had #12 shot.

The rogue chipmunks were room distance away, probably 10-12 feet. No sign of a hit. Maybe ole Alvin is tougher than he looked!?

That you guys were able to take out mice and rats and birds and snakes is pretty wild. I guess they are definitely more useful than I remembered as a kid.

Thanks for the reports.

You really need a smoothbore to make the shotshells shine. I have a Remington 572 smoothbore that really increases the range over a normal rifled barrel 22LR. I've killed sparrows, chipmunks, etc. with it.
I prefer the paddle method on those.

I got one of those electric fly swatters that look like a badminton racket. Lots of fun. miles
Originally Posted by websterparish47
The ones I've seen were marked #11 some brands, #12 on others.

I've killed a lot of copperheads and cotton mouths with LR shot loads. Usually 4-12 feet away.

Leaving the woods late one evening the bats were flying like crazy. I managed to get two out of six shots.

Last time I looked they were priced at $10 a box.

Got this info right off the box:
CCI 22 WMR shotshell
1/8 oz. #12 shot (approx. 175 pellets)

I like them....except the cost.

I've used the old CCI 22LR shotshells to dispatch bats inside a log cabin.
When I was a kid , we used to go out and shoot Rats at night at a country Dump . Kind of fun with all those Rats running all over the place and using a Flashlight trying to hit them . Anyway , with a Rifled Barrel , 22 Shot was about as effective as throwing Corn at them ....never killed even one .... they just flinched a little and ran off . We quickly switched back to Hollow Points . I later set out some of the old Aluminum Pie Pans at maybe 20 Feet and the Shot would never penetrate the thin Aluminum . A Gun dealer friend called me up one day and told me he had a Smooth Bore 22 and to come over and try it out . What a difference : it shot thru the Aluminum easily . Timbo was spot on with his previous Post . I did'nt know much about Firearms in those days and passed on buying that Winchester M61 Pump in 22 Shot . I won't mention the Price as it still hurts today !
I load the #12 shot in .38/.357, .44 and .45 Colt, using the Speer capsules. Deadlier by far on snakes than the rimfires and the "dust" shot makes for a denser pattern plus a little extra range. I have some of the CCI .22 and .22 mag shotshells but haven't tried them on snakes. I have usually used the Federal or Winchester crimped loads.
Worked well on carpenter bees at the cabin last year out of my .22 S&W. Went 7 for 8.

Wife says I've been watching too much Justified. grin

Originally Posted by Pugs
Worked well on carpenter bees at the cabin last year out of my .22 S&W. Went 7 for 8.

Wife says I've been watching too much Justified. grin

laugh
Well, I just learned a new term, "carpenter bees". For the 7 years I lived in middle TN, I had a problem with what I thought were bumble bees boring holes in wood. Once I found out that they were what was causing so much destruction, I declared war on them.

I went through a lot of shotshells during that time and could sometimes even wingshoot them. If I got a solid hit on them, they virtually disentegrated, if a marginal one, they'd Kamakazee me while leaking the last of their vital fluids. Made for some exciting shooting!

Before that, and since leaving TN to a land where "carpenter bees" don't exist, shotshells are more a novelty than anything else for me.
Originally Posted by bhemry
Well, I just learned a new term, "carpenter bees". For the 7 years I lived in middle TN, I had a problem with what I thought were bumble bees boring holes in wood. Once I found out that they were what was causing so much destruction, I declared war on them..

While the shotshells were a lot of fun for this, I bought an aerosol can of Spectracide foaming Carpenter Bee and ground wasp killer and sprayed the holes they had created. Two treatments a week apart and I haven't seen them in a year.
We used to swat bumble bees with tennis rackets when we were
kids, wouldnt recommend it to anyone.
For some reason this thread has me thinking. I stoppeda the range the other day to check some patterns.

The old Federal crimped shot load, fired from a single shot winchester bolt.
I started at 2 paces and walked back a bit for each shot. Paces, which will be a hair under a yard.

2 paces
[Linked Image]

3 paces
[Linked Image]

4 paces
[Linked Image]

5 paces. This one sounded odd, very different report than the rest.
[Linked Image]

6 paces
[Linked Image]

7 paces
[Linked Image]

10 paces, probably 8-9 yards.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/crockettnj/22shot10_zpsa0a850e0.jpg[/img]

I then took a poke with my very lite 410 reloads. 1/2 oz or slightly under, #5 shot.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/crockettnj/4101255_zps05031fc6.jpg[/img]

Here is the cumulative of all shots. Interestingly, everything passed completely through the paper and both sides of the cardboard box.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/crockettnj/22shotcume_zpsf9a52db4.jpg[/img]

enough to dispatch this one?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/crockettnj/wsnake2_zpsc3687808.jpg[/img]

I think the 2 yard pattern probably had a lot of uncounted pellets in the same hole as others. I only had 114 in a tight pattern, yet the 3 and 4 yard loads had 160+ pellet holes.

It could also be poor QC re the shot count from federal.

The 5 yard shot was a squib.

Things go to hell pretty fast at 10 yards!

Next time I'll try the CCI. Maybe that fancy blue cap wad will tighten things up?
My sister uses them to keep the bears out of her apple trees..
Not .22 shot shells, but probably the luckiest shot of my life - A friend and I were hunting with our sons in Alaska while on R&R leave from Afsandystan.

We got into some prime Ptarmigan country, and I had loaned my 12 gauge to my buddy's boy. I was carrying his Ruger Super Blackhawk in a chest rig stoked with .44 SPL CCI shotshells. A bird flushed right in front of us while my son was in the middle of re-loading his .410, and my buddy and his boy were on the other side of the hill and didn't have a shot, so on reflex, I drew and fired, and dropped the bird at about 15 yards. I seriously doubt I could ever make a shot like that again, but that was one tasty bird. Matter of fact, we got 13 of them between the four of us that day, and ate like kings back at camp that night.
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
...on reflex, I drew and fired, and dropped the bird at about 15 yards. .....ate like kings back at camp that night.

NICE!
we use Ruger single 6's and birdshot to shoot "Bee skeet" .
It's fun and it keeps the little buggers from eating holes in all the boards on the deck roof.
A buddy was shooting rats in his barn one night with a flashlight and a Single-Six loaded with birdshot- pretty effective when they are skittering right past your feet. He pulled a bozo stunt and managed to put a load into the top of his right foot. By all accounts right painful and gave the surgeon fits picking all the little BB's out. I bet there's still a couple in there.
In the late 60's in Boy Scout Camp we shot Smoothbore .22's at Moskeeto Clay Pigeons which are about 1/3 smaller than standard clay pigeons, don't remember which guns we used.

Jerry
Those Mo-Skeet-O guns were Mossbergs, if they were truly such (hence the 'Mo' in Mo-Skeet-O). All of the big manufacturers made a smooth bore rifle for shooting bird shot. The best of them had what was called Rutledge boring which were bigger-bored than .22 and had a degree of choke if I'm not mistaken. Its been a long time since I looked at one.

They couldn't pry me away from the Mo-Skeet-O 'range' when I was a Boy Scout in the mid-60's.
I ran the Boy Scout Mo-Skeet-O range when I was a teen in the late 60's, early 70's, We had Remington .22 smoothbores. We'd try to shoot bats at dusk. They were pretty elusive, but we had better luck with the .22 shotguns than the later CO2 shotguns with plsatic, reloadable shotshells. The airguns' velocity was just too slow - the bats would dodge the shot pattern.
I use them on sparrows and starlings mainly. I do know that they can sluice a magpie at 25 feet. I use a Remington 121 smoothbore with Routlege "choke." Seems to work a lot better than in a rifled bore. Mine patterns pretty well to about 10 yards. I prefer the star crimp variety but just for looks.

When I was a kid they had a game at county fairs where we shot little clay pigeons launched towards some sort of netting. I think they were called "Mo-skeet-o" or some such. It was pretty cool.
Carpenter Bees - it is a blast "wing" shooting them......have had many say to me "you might be a redneck if.......". All I need to add is a lawn chair and beer laugh

PennDog
I have a Remington single shot bolt smoothbore. It is very effective for shooting english sparrows in our turkey barns, and won't penetrate the plywood or the sheet metal that the barns are lined with. Perfect! And it is effective out to about 40ft. FAR better patterns than any rifled barrel shooting the same stuff. I use the crimped Win/ Rem/ Fed cartridges, not the CCI stuff. I have killed pigeons with this gun at 30ft. DRT. it is also very effective on rats.
Had ground squirrls getting in the eves of my house, from the front porch roof.

They would crawl in, then fall down between the wall studs and get trapped and die.

They would stink to high heven!
Soooo, I loaded my Single-Six with 22 mag shot shells and declared WAR!

END of problem! (GRIN!)

Still keep the Single-Six loaded up 'case one comes back.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

I once killed 24 Prairie Ratttlers in one day with 22 LR Shotshells in a S&W Model 34. Few needed a second shot; but I was close to them. I've killed dozens more with the lowly shotshell.
We also used to kill Sparrows in the barn with them. In a rifle, they'll kill a Sparrow @ 15 feet or so.
I don't remember how we came into some as kids, but we used falling block single shots to jump shoot grasshoppers.
Before the hantavirus scare, I had an old refridgerator railroad car on the farm that had been used as a grainery in the distant past, then for general storage. Full of mice, old tires, etc. A friend and I bought all the CCI LR shotshells in town (about 60 rounds), took two .22 revolvers, and had a great time. At up to about 12-15 feet they were deadly. Past that, and mice started getting through the patterns. Past twenty feet and most got through. We'd shoot a few, close the doors, wait about 20 minutes, open the doors, and have at it again.
© 24hourcampfire