Posted By: utah708 I bought the coolest .22lr - 03/22/13
The pictures tell the story.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Always wanted one, how accurate is it?
They are cool. Hope it functions well. The current Henry versions (or is it Charter Arms?) are said to function pretty well.
Posted By: utah708 Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 03/22/13
It is an early Charter Arms. I just got it, so do not know anything yet about the function or accuracy.

Yet.
Hope you enjoy it! You have plans for this little rifle or is it just another 22?
It is just something I thought was cool years ago (when I didn't have two nickles to rub together,) and just had the chance to pick one up. It really should spend out its days in the tail of a Super Cub in Alaska. I am sure it is minute of ptarmigan.
Cool pic! I remember when those guns came out, they advertised the heck out of em , in all the gun mags. Nice little pack gun. Where abouts in Utah are you?
They are supposed to float! Why don't you try it out and let us know if it does wink
Didn't Armalite make one very similar?
Posted By: bangeye Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 03/22/13
Had friend with one years ago. For their intended purpose a very neat design. His worked fine the comb of the stock being designed to hold the rifle when taken down was a bit fat to allow comfortable sight alignment for me anyway but it is a cool rifle and probably the best survival rifle designed
Posted By: Timbo Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 03/22/13
I've owned a couple of the older Charter Arms version. Neither was what I'd consider accurate, but would have served the purpose of a survival rifle.
I bought one and have not shot it yet. I am not a full blown prepper but I bought it (Henry) and a small dot scope for my grab and go bag with 2 bricks of winchester LRs. That and 45 ACP Kimber and 500 rds. and a mini 14 with 500 rds. I remember being here when TMI did it's thing. Some stayed on the porch with a double barrels and others vacated. Cheap insurance to have a means to get a meal if something hits the fan.
Going to give it a go when our spring like weather stops snowing and blowing.
I had one for a while. I was less than impressed. Hope your results are better than mine.
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Didn't Armalite make one very similar?

AR-7 I believe. whistle
I don't know who all might have made something on this design. The paperwork shown in my photo shows AR-7 and Charter Arms.
Originally Posted by utah708
I don't know who all might have made something on this design. The paperwork shown in my photo shows AR-7 and Charter Arms.

Do a quick Wikipedia search and it will tell you the origin, (Stoner) AR, to Charter, Henry, etc. Good information.
Mine is extremely accurate ....take care tightening the bolt....they will crack the stock if you get it too tight. Mine was cracked when I got it...two attempts have yet to keep the crack from coming back.

I really like the rifle.

Best yet...it was only $100!

Yours is pristine. Congrats.
Bob
James Bond used an AR-7 in "From Russia With Love", as I recall.
Posted By: utah708 Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 03/23/13
And it probably shot 15 times without reloading
Posted By: MagMarc Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 03/23/13
We used one coon hunting back in the 80s, knocked a bunch coons out with it and a Nylon 66 that only shot shorts.
Wow. I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid. Very cool. I'm envious.
Posted By: CKW Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 03/24/13
That one looks like new.

I bought a more scratched one from a pawn shop to keep in my Jeep as part of a survival kit. I used it one day to shoot several ground squirrels. I found the peep sight to be simple to adjust and useable for old eyes. They are very easy to clean! Mine spent more than a decade riding in that old Jeep and served its intended purpose well.

Sold it last year as I rarely shot it and I dislike the trigger pull of most self-loading .22 rifles -- sold my Nylon 66 last week for the same reason.
That charter arms looks better than the current offering from Henry but I found them to be nothing more than a novelty. They can be ill tempered, ill handling, ill conceived things good at nothing more than riding in the truck. Basically, even when they work they are just weird to shoot. A good handgun makes a better packin gun.
I heard that they have some problems. Jamming and accuracy I think. Good luck.
Posted By: RJM Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 04/11/13
I have had two of the original Armalite manufactured AR-7s and still have one of them. Both have been accurate and reliable but they are 100% magazine dependent when it comes to reliability as the feedramp is built into the magazine not the receiver or the barrel.

At this point I have two 8 round magazines that feed fine. I also have two Charter Arms Explorer II handguns that have two magazines each that feed fine. Had 2-3 other magazines that didn't work that I just sold off with the warning that they may or may not work in the buyers guns... And don't even bother with the extended magazines...have had several and not a one has ever worked.

A friend's son bought one of the new Henrys that he let me test...it was less than impressive. Using the peep sight the front blade had to be moved all the way over to the right to even hit the paper. With a scope on board it would constantly change zero. Unlike the Armalite barrel with a steel liner in aluminum the Henry is plastic. For the poster above who has yet to fire his and plans on using it for "survival" I would suggest you try it out before you really need it. My friend wrote Henry and they sent him a new barrel. I have not had a chance to try it again.

Friend's Henry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Using the peepsight with the front blade all the way to the right in the dovetail...still would not zero...

[Linked Image]

The other problem with the front sight is it can easily be moved with just ones fingers...it will also move when you put the barrel into the stock for storage or bump against a tree...

Scope mount...Picatinney cool...one problem is that it isn't Weaver size but a standard .22 Rimfire 3/8" dovetail... And by putting in all the slots they lost 1/2 their clamping surface critical to keeping the mount in place...

[Linked Image]

Just changing ammo not the scope setting....one round went right off the target...

[Linked Image]

...not exactly stellar group...more like a pattern...

[Linked Image]

...and the rounds walk as the barrel warms up...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/22%20rifles/DSCF4204.jpg[/img]

Bad News Bob
Posted By: RJM Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 04/11/13
Same day was also testing a Marlin Papoose that I had just bought..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was with my AR-7...the three rounds with ink marks on them were 25 yards followed by three more rounds at 50...with just the peepsights...(the bottom left hole was another target with another rifle)

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/22%20rifles/Survival22s005.jpg[/img]

Bob

Posted By: GeoW Re: I bought the coolest .22lr - 04/13/13
I was undecided between the AR7 and the M6. Found the M6 first. Only advantage to me is it's chambered for both 410 and 22lr.
© 24hourcampfire