Home
A friend whats to buy a 22 Long Rifle {HIS FIRST} He said bolt action would be good , but I think he would like a semi> other then a ruger > your thoughts?
its his money, let him buy what he wants. And what wrong with a 10/22?
OK> Is there only the Ruger that makes a good semi auto 22?> thats all Im asking.
I have a cz 452 and a wj15 22>one in 22long and the other in mag but never owned a semi_auto > thats why Im asking!
Does he want to shoot targets with it, or eventually hunt? In PA, you cannot hunt with a semi, which is why I ask.

S&W MP22, is their AR style 22 semi and a fun gun to shoot. Also doubles as a great trainer for young shooters, since the stock is so adjustable.

More traditional, like the Ruger, is the Marlin 60 I believe.

Then you have the T/C Classic, which is one that will be in my hands tomorrow. These can have some caveats to work out, but they are said to be more accurate than a 1022 out of the box.

Remington has a 597. Again, some are said to have issue with the magazine, but current models might have resolved that. The 597 does seem to be a more "adult" model, as the Class, where they both feel more hefty than a 1022.

I have a 1022 from the 80s and will never sell it, but there are other options out there.
T/C Classic will out shoot a factory 10-22 out of the box.

I had one, didn't like the way powder residue ended up in the action. With the 10-22, the fire control group is shielded from a lot of powder blow back by the way the magazine well is constructed. With the T/C, powder can blow back into the fire control structure too easily, IMHO.

I always fix up my 10-22's, so they out shoot the T/C. I had a Classic, but gave it to my cowboy action club to auction during a fund raiser. I never got another one.

DF
CZ452 beautiful and accurate
OK Boys> Semi_Auto Please!
Is there no other then the ruger ?? Im not being a troll> 10|22 is the way to Go> then I will tell him to Buy!
Josey> Should just have a rifle for servival kind of thing, and I told him the 22 long is the way to go!
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I had one, didn't like the way powder residue ended up in the action. With the 10-22, the fire control group is shielded from a lot of powder blow back by the way the magazine well is constructed. With the T/C, powder can blow back into the fire control structure too easily, IMHO.

I always fix up my 10-22's, so they out shoot the T/C. I had a Classic, but gave it to my cowboy action club to auction during a fund raiser. I never got another one.

DF

The TC does shoot well. It has a great trigger right out of the box.

[Linked Image]
i like the sights !> can I get it in Canada!
Money has nothing to do with anything.
And Clips?.
this is a one time buy !
T/C.....

[Linked Image]
Browning SA 22, Remington 552.
ok, browning then....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by saleen322

DF

The TC does shoot well. It has a great trigger right out of the box.

[Linked Image]

I agree on both points.

My 10-22's, after me working on them, have even better triggers and accuracy.

DF
Sights are a must!
VQ ... optics are sights too
but are they a 'must'?...
OK I'll bite, Marlin/Glenfield Model 60. Not the best trigger, but accurate and reliable. Not expensive either.
First off I'm not knocking the semi's but for trainer younger shooters a semi is probably not the best choice,fun yes but it's fun to hear any gun burn through a magazine quick but in light. Of the ammo shortage not my first choice
Originally Posted by bcd
Sights are a must!

The TC I have has good sights. However I am thinking the TC is no longer made. I talked to a TC rep at a gun show about it and he said people wanted cheaper (no walnut stock, nice bluing, good trigger, etc) so they did not sell well so they were dropped. Magazines are still available as I recently bought two.
Originally Posted by RickcNY
First off I'm not knocking the semi's but for trainer younger shooters a semi is probably not the best choice,fun yes but it's fun to hear any gun burn through a magazine quick but in light. Of the ammo shortage not my first choice

Not that I disagree, but the S&W MP22 AR style rifle is becoming very popular among beginners. Why? The adjustable stock. The Cricket and other small 22s might last a year or two, then Jr outgrows it. I'm not advocating the S&W, though I do love mine, as do my girls. But I am a wood lover at heart.
If he's looking for a classy looking, great handling, accurate .22 the Browning as shown above is just about as good as it gets, IMHO. Weatherby also makes the XXII which is a really nice, upscale looking .22 which is also reputed to be a very good shooter, but I've never shot one so can't comment.

Personally, I've always preferred the bolt action rimfires for accuracy and looks, but that is just me. Win 52 Repros and Model 75 Sporter, Rem. 541S, 541T, 504, 40X, Cooper 57M and Jackson Squirrel, and a few others of that type really turn my crank.

Bob
Years ago, Weatherby made a pretty slick semi-auto the WBY MK XXII. It had a gloss finish,and was pretty nice to look at. I see them once in a while for $500-$600. They were a full sized rifle not a carbine
Originally Posted by huntsman22
ok, browning then....

[Linked Image]
winner!!!! i'd like to say that I've worn them out ...but that ain't happen'n cool
a scope on one!!!!.... in these parts..... gets u sent to-da the woodshed...... smile
Forgive me Father, for I am old. And half blind.....
I'll have a talk with him ....when he comes back .....he left in a hurry to pick the rite switch....
Originally Posted by bcd
Sights are a must!

<BCD, are you dancing turkey boy?< Are you special ed?<
Short bus.

DF
Ok, this is more about eh software than the target. But I took my Thompson Classic out to the range.

25 yards
Scoped with a Bushnell Sportview 3-9
Me wearing eyeglasses, instead of contacts Big factor here, because it's hard to focus on the crosshairs and the target, unless I wear my contacts.

I was hoping to test various ammo, but the glasses simply prevented me from doing my best. And even though it turned out the 3 shot group below, I suspect that my glasses prevented the Classic from really shining.

Yes, this is only 25 yards. But imagine a shooter with clear eyes, a nice AO scope, and the gun's favorite ammo.

I downloaded the free version of Ontarget, but really like it and will pay the whopping $12 for the gull version. It's pretty easy to use.

That's a dime and a sesame seed.

[Linked Image]
Short bus.

DF

Based on posting history, I'd have to agree.
Josey,

If your crosshair is really that fuzzy, You need to focus that scope for the glasses your wearing. I have to refocus all my scopes every time I get a new prescription.

Can't imagine you'd get a better group than that though. grin
T/C.....

[Linked Image]
T/C.....

[Linked Image]

Maybe everything isn't bigger in Texas, that looks like one big jackrabbit.
ok, browning then....

[Linked Image]

For me the CZ 512, then the Browning, which I would have killed for to have one in the 60's.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Josey,

If your crosshair is really that fuzzy, You need to focus that scope for the glasses your wearing. I have to refocus all my scopes every time I get a new prescription.

Can't imagine you'd get a better group than that though. grin

Hmm...not sure what you mean. Just as with open sights, when I wear my glasses I simply can't get a clear view of both the sights and the target. I can do fine for self defense targets, etc. But for precision target, it's tough.

This Sportview is only adjustable for power. What exactly do you mean by refocus?

Today, I'm taking my 581 hunting, while wearing my contacts, so we'll see how that goes. They are bifocal, in the sense that the left contact is down graded, so it's easier for me to read my phone, see items close up.
See if you can find an old Italian Weatherby MK XXII
I have owned a bunch of semi-auto .22lr rifles and the MK XXII is by far my favorite.
in it's stock form it comes with good irons, and if you can find one the pricing is generally reasonable..
tal
Seriously? You or your friend do not have the ability to google and visit the firearm sights or do a search?

At least try to find something that looks good to him and then ask questions.

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Seriously? You or your friend do not have the ability to google and visit the firearm sights or do a search?

At least try to find something that looks good to him and then ask questions.

He is too stupid tonrealize people are pointing out other Semi Autos to him. But. I dont expect more from someone who's main hobby is huffing paint
ok, browning then....

[Linked Image]

Have to agree with the browning. Finally found an older one (1965) and it shoots lights out.
T/C Classic. Very accurate and nice trigger for a semi-auto.
Have a Browning too, but I'll take a Marlin Model 60 after you fix the trigger anyday over a 10/22, even though I own a truck load of Rugers.
Take a lOok at the Henry lever actions. That said I gifted my Ithica lever action (pre Henry), traded my nylon 66, and now have a 1022 with laser. It is a joy for old eyes.
Did someone say ... Volquartsen?

Serious money, that's true.

And 5 shots of ammunition it likes in a dime at 50 yards.

Less $ than that - find a Browning Auto-22, as mentioned. Mine will put 5 in a nickle at 50 yards. Sometimes.
For a factory specs rifle, the Marlin 60 is hard to beat.

I have a stainless Marlin 60 installed in a Boyds Rimfire Hunter laminated stock that is good shooting, easy carrying, 22 LR semi-auto. The Boyds Rimfire Hunter isn't a light stock, but it fits me really well and I think that proper stock fit is a major contributing factor to successful off-hand shooting.

Jeff
Semi-Auto: Marlin Model 60c. Have one for my boy. I like them better appearance-wise than the 10/22's, even though I own one of those too. The Marlin is a great rifle with a long history, takes a scope well, is as accurate as he is, and plain fun. The tube magazine is better than the clip-fed magazine.
ok, browning then....

[Linked Image]

The SA22 gets my vote --- and I own a 10-22 that I like a lot. The Browning is just so much more. A "real step" up IMO.
I have hated the Browning SAs since the first hot case ejected down my shirt sleeve.

Jeff
Originally Posted by smithrjd
OK I'll bite, Marlin/Glenfield Model 60. Not the best trigger, but accurate and reliable. Not expensive either.

That's my thoughts also.

My first recommendation would be a 10/22 due to all the aftermarket components that are available, particularly the bull barrels and aftermarket stocks.

Following that would be the Rem/Marlin Model 60 with the laminated stock. As mentioned, it is the bargain basement approach to the challenge but not one that would be later felt like a bad decision. If the Model 60 works out for his interest and available time it would just lead to more firearm purchases to fill in his needs later. Not a bad thing to have happen.
Originally Posted by bcd
OK> Is there only the Ruger that makes a good semi auto 22?> thats all Im asking.

If he has enough jingle in his pockets.

Volquartsen rifles in Carrol IA are darn hard to beat.

Great triggers, very accurate.

Look like 10/22's.

Volquartsen Custom

A few I have or have had.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee71/freedumb1/Volq_Fusion_D.jpg[/img]
He said bolt action would be good

A bolt action Anschutz with about a 1 ounce trigger. Does Cooper still put out a 22LR?

The shift to a semi auto here sounds like a bait and switch deal.

Personally, I don't do well with folks telling me what I want. Clerks often miss out on what was going to be a for sure sale by taking that tangent.
© 24hourcampfire