Home
Posted By: CAMONICK .22 long and short ammo - 03/14/14
Anybody know any place to find .22 long, not long rife or short ammo? Haven't been able to turn up any in my searches. Thanks for any help you guys can give!
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: .22 long and short ammo - 03/14/14
These folks have the shorts in 50 round packs & bricks. Not too much more than the last time I bought shorts (pre shortage).

http://www.venturamunitions.com/aguila-superextra-22-short-29gr-hv-copper-plated-rn-50-rounds/
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: .22 long and short ammo - 03/14/14
I'll keep my eyes open and pick you up a couple boxes if I run into any. Mind my asking why longs?
Posted By: CAMONICK Re: .22 long and short ammo - 03/14/14
Thanks Guys That .22 short was a good find. I am looking for a friend who is in need. Not sure what he has that he is planning on shooting these out of, but will check and see.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: .22 long and short ammo - 03/14/14
Personally, I would just shoot SV target loads in LR rather than longs.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: .22 long and short ammo - 03/27/14
It's around ,Gander mountain had shorts about a month ago ,saw some in Walmart a few months back and saw some in a small shop a week or so ago
Posted By: selmer Re: .22 long and short ammo - 03/28/14
LGS has a few 50 round boxes of .22 Long CB, $4.50/50. I can pick them up for him and ship if he pays the costs.
"Personally, I would just shoot SV target loads in LR rather than longs."

I'd also rather shoot LR standard velocity or sub's than shorts, as I've tried the above in a handful of rifles and none shoot as well as LR rounds. And I tried several brands of shorts to include target shorts.

Jerry
Posted By: GeneB Re: .22 long and short ammo - 04/08/14
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Personally, I would just shoot SV target loads in LR rather than longs.

I'd also rather shoot LR standard velocity or sub's than shorts, as I've tried the above in a handful of rifles and none shoot as well as LR rounds. And I tried several brands of shorts to include target shorts.

Jerry

I have several guns chambered for short only and a couple that will only take 22 short & long. These guns have slower twist rifling than guns chambered for 22 Long Rifle so the accuracy is good with the lighter bullet. Long Rifle will not work in any of these as they are and the ones that possibly could be re-chambered would not shoot that well with Long Rifle due to the slower twist rate.

There are a lot of 1890 Winchesters out there that people shoot that take only 22 Short, or only 22 Long. There also are many modern target guns that were chambered just for 22 Short.
[Linked Image]
GeneB,

I should have mentioned that all of the aforementioned shooting of shorts was in .22 LR chambered guns. I often see threads with the person asking what guns will shoot 22 shorts and a bunch of folks respond that their gun shoots them fine. They may chamber and shoot them, but it has been my experience that very few .22 LR chambered guns will shoot them accurately.

It wouldn't bother me at all if you started a thread with pictures of your .22 short chambered guns, something I would like to see.

Thanks,

Jerry
Posted By: GeneB Re: .22 long and short ammo - 04/08/14
Jerry, if I ever get all of my guns in 22 Short out together I will get a picture. Just a quick look at my inventory and I count 32 in 22 Short only. I will say my interest in this thead was to find 22 Short & 22 Long because in some guns there is no other option!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: .22 long and short ammo - 04/08/14
A rifle chambered for shorts only:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .22 long and short ammo - 04/09/14
I once had a Browning Auto, Shorts only. It shot OK, not great. It was Jap, not Belgium. I could never keep the take down barrel tight. It went down the road.

I once had a Volqluartsen 10-22 with SS heavy bbl, set up for Shorts. It had the right twist, chamber, etc. It shot OK but was a disappointment. My 39 Marlin out shot it with Shorts. I sold the barrel, light weight bolt and special clip. I replaced those parts with a steel factory bolt and a Gander Mt. .22LR flutted, heavy barrel. It shot great. My son has it now. I still have the 39 Marlin.

I haven't had good luck with .22 Short chambered guns.

DF
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: .22 long and short ammo - 04/09/14
ammoseek shows a couple of sellers at 29 cents a round
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: .22 long and short ammo - 04/09/14
BigR in Limon, Co has a boatload of CCI CB's and Target shorts.....
© 24hourcampfire