Home
Posted By: Gary O Remington 581 problem? - 09/14/14
A friend of mine showed up at the range yesterday with a beat up Remington 581 bolt 22 rifle. It has a decent trigger. Problem is: the bolt comes all the way out of the receiver when you pull it back during the normal functioning of the gun. My friend showed me a small hole in the stock where his dad used to stick a small finishing nail to keep the bolt from being withdrawn too far.
My question is: does this seem like a bolt stop issue to you folks? Or what? What say you? Thanks...
Posted By: drover Re: Remington 581 problem? - 09/14/14
The 581's have a plunger bolt stop that is connected with the safety. It has been a few years since I have owned one but to my recollection you pushed the safety forward to remove the bolt. The spring loaded plunger acts as the bolt stop, perhaps the plunger is stuck and not raising to stop the bolt. The trigger is held by a small cross-pin and at the front of the housing there is a small screw that has to be loosened before removing the pin.
CAUTION - When re-installing the trigger housing just snug the small screw at the front of the housing, over tightening it will crack the alloy housing and render the trigger useless and replacements are hard to find.

drover
Posted By: BGunn Re: Remington 581 problem? - 09/15/14
You can see parts here (#8 & #9)plunger and spring....

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Rifles-37895/581-39541.htm
Posted By: rem141r Re: Remington 581 problem? - 09/15/14
another word of caution on the 58X's. i've had 2 that would fire on safety if you pulled the trigger hard enough. i liked those guns but they seemed rather junky to me.
Posted By: Gary O Re: Remington 581 problem? - 09/17/14
Any of you folks know where I can find bolt disassemble instructions? Thanks...
Posted By: Snyper Re: Remington 581 problem? - 09/17/14
Originally Posted by rem141r
another word of caution on the 58X's. i've had 2 that would fire on safety if you pulled the trigger hard enough. i liked those guns but they seemed rather junky to me.

Why would you be pulling the trigger if you didn't want to fire the gun?
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Remington 581 problem? - 09/18/14
Remington 581 .22 l,lr,s Disassembly, Clean, Reassembly - YouTube
► 52:04► 52:04
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofvL4NFoJsk
Dec 14, 2012 - Uploaded by TDCtactical
This Remington 581 had issues with the trigger not engaging the sear/firing pin. I took it apart ...
Posted By: rem141r Re: Remington 581 problem? - 09/22/14
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by rem141r

Why would you be pulling the trigger if you didn't want to fire the gun?

as a test to see if it fired. i do this with any old gun because there are plenty of bubba gunsmiths out there. unloaded of course. i have had a 581, a 582, an old 510(?) and a springfield 84(?) do it.

oh and a buddy of mine bought a cheap little 25 at a gunshow one time. it would fire 3 round bursts about half the time.
© 24hourcampfire