Home
Posted By: schoolmarm Lil .22 - 01/26/15
Guys I have a 4yr old grandson and a 2yr old grand daughter. I'm wanting to get one of the little .22s that are out there. I've got a dozen .22s but nothing that fits him. I looked at the cricket and Savage but was wondering if anybody had done any checking on what is "best". Any help will be appreciated..
Posted By: JeffG Re: Lil .22 - 01/26/15
Stevens or Remington rolling block. Lots of those with compromised stocks for short arms, nice and light too.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Lil .22 - 01/26/15
i would start them off on an air gun myself. when they can accurately shoot that then move them up to a rimfire. my .02
Posted By: deflave Re: Lil .22 - 01/26/15
Savage Rascal.

Travis
Another UBER option would be a youth model 10/22 with a Williams rear peep sight.

But I don't know how much you want to spend.

Travis
Posted By: GW708 Re: Lil .22 - 01/26/15
The savage IIRC can b e loaded and unloaded with the safty on.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Lil .22 - 01/26/15
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
i would start them off on an air gun myself. when they can accurately shoot that then move them up to a rimfire. my .02

Me too.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Lil .22 - 01/26/15
When I had a FFL I bet I sold 25 Chipmunks to grandpas. Never had a complaint,

CZ Scout is quite a bit of gun for the money.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Lil .22 - 01/26/15
T/C Hotshot.....If you can find one. A miniature 3lb Encore with an aperture sight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Lil .22 - 01/26/15
Travis, I liked the looks of the Savage. Didn't know they made a youth 10/22. That would make a great next step up. BTW, we're already shooting a Lil Buck BB gun. He's burning up some coke cans with the BB. I'd forgotten about the Chipmunks.
The Savage Rascal and Cub (the cub was the predecessor to the Rascal) are very tough to beat.

We have three of the "youth" 10/22's and they are great. They come in a variety of colors too. Check Lipsey's website.

Travis
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Lil .22 - 01/27/15
Thanks my man, will check out Lipseys..
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Lil .22 - 01/27/15
I had a Cricket for my sons but sold it and got a Rascal since it has a feedramp. It makes it easier for them to load and that sucker is surprisingly accurate.

The HotShot is pretty dang cool too and I'm not a T/C fan. I think they're discontinued but could easily see having one for the kids.

Posted By: Blackheart Re: Lil .22 - 01/27/15
I got a Marlin 15Y little buckaroo for my nephew last Christmas. He's only 5 and pretty small but he does real well with it. I sighted it in before I gave it to him and the little bugger was punching dime sized groups at 25 yards. The feed ramp in it works great. Just drop one in and close the bolt.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Lil .22 - 01/27/15
didn't even think about the Marlin 15y. This is what I was wanting to hear about. Thanks so much.
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: Lil .22 - 01/27/15
I have been very pleased with the cricket. It has went through 2 kids as stepping stones. It is very accurate for a short gun.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Lil .22 - 01/27/15
'Nother vote for the CZ Scout.

And, you can change out the single shot adapter for a 5 or 10 round mag. later on.

I bought one of these for ME and put a 1" pad on it to lengthen the stock.

It's a GREAT shooting little rifle.

Virgil B.
Posted By: deflave Re: Lil .22 - 01/27/15
Just throwing this out there...

But I have found peeps to increase a new shooter's hit percentage by roughly 100%.

Break actions can be annoying for a new shooter using bags.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire