Home
Posted By: Gun_Doc 10/22 Target stock suggestions - 03/26/15
The 10/22 Target (heavy barrel) factory stock is stable (laminated) and nice enough, but it is not a scope friendly shape. I don't know why Ruger sells a rifle with no sights that isn't set up for a scope, but it is what it is. I am looking for options.

I like the Hogue molded stocks pretty well as far as shape, but I wonder if they compromise the accuracy of what (mine anyway) is a pretty accurate rifle?

I don't want anything more "racy" or radical than the Boyd's Pro Varmint (also called the "Tacticool"?), and I would really like something in more of a sporter shape. No thumbholes and no "modern art sculptures."

Has anyone tried one of these:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/3z2681w1a112_rh-ruger-1022-920-bc-stk-pl-f

However, if you believe the Boyd's Pro Varment is really good, I would like to hear it.

I'd like to stay under $150, so McMillan is out. Goals are:
- Scope friendly comb
- Not a "radical" shape
- Stable and accurate
- $150 (maybe $200) max

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gun Doc
I have a Fajen Laminate one similar to that . They sold out and I believe Boyds took over some of their designs and old stock. I like mine and have a Burris Rimfire/Airgun scope mounted on it in Leupold rings/base.
i have an older Fajen laminate on the rifle i bought and it is very scope friendly with a bit of a cheek piece and slight roll over design. the barrel channel is set up for the bull barrel. mine shoots very well, but, i have made the decision that i am going to sell my stock and barrel down the road and go with a after market sporter barrel and some sort of nice walnut stock so that the unit becomes more woods walking friendly. let me know if you would be interested in the stock with a pm and we could see if we could work out something fair.
Bell and carlson makes one for 165 made for scoped rifle. www.Stockysstocks.com, but you may be able to find it cheaper at another online store.
I like the Hogue. Simple and can take some abuse.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But I like the Frankendork even better (DrFrankenRuger).

The adjustable cheekpiece is killer, especially with a rail. The Hogue is good for a chin-weld. That said, if I needed a 10/22 that could take a beating I'd rather have the Hogue than a plywood stock with compression cheekpiece.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This Boyds is the best deal in a rimfire handle IMO. I have had a few and will order another for the 10/22 Im working up now.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=3Z&Model=268&Action=1W&Shape=1G

Another vote for the hogue. I haven't tried different stocks, but with my clark bull barrel and good ammo 50yd groups are one ragged hole.
I have Marlin 917s installed in both the Rimfire Hunter and Pro Varmint (Tacticool?) stocks. The Rimfire Hunter is good for field use, while the Pro Varmint (Tacticool?) is too bulky for field use. I am likely to buy more Rimfire Hunters, but doubt that I'll buy another Pro Varmint (Tacticool?).
I like the Boyds Blaster ....
I, too, like the Hogue stock. I've had 3, I think, so far. No accuracy issues that I noticed. Each was paired with a carbon-fiber wrapped .920 barrel (2 Magnum Research, 1 Volquartsen), a Jard 1 pound trigger, and a Leupold 2-7X RF special to create a walking (12 mile round trip) squirrel rifle. I never messed with target ammo since I wasn't planning to use it for squirrels. Typical HV HP hunting ammo groups ran 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at 50 yards for 10 shots which met my need by a lot.

Tom
This started as a 1022T.

Decided to put a 16" fluted barrel on it to balance it up and lighten it a bit.

Swapped the original lami stock for a McMillan Anschutz, then an Archangel, and eventually got around to a Hogue, which is my favorite.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire