Home
Thought my gunnie did a nice job on the inletting, bedding the action, and floating the barrel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice!
Thanks, plastique.
Federal auto match works best in mine out of the cheap ammo varieties. You'll love it. I had a CZ 453 that I had professionally floated and glass bedded. I love that rifle. My Kidd is just as accurate if not more and is a semi auto. Not having to "come off target" is huge. Enjoy it.

As a general rule of thumb with mine. Stick to 40 grain ammo and don't waste money on lighter bullets.
Thanks, woodie. I've got a pretty good stock of FAM I've built up over the last couple months. My MK's seem to like it just fine, so if the Kidd likes them too, all the better. I like CCI's the best, but they're harder to come by.

I think I've only got one batch of 36 gr's. So, that's a good, too.

Curious to see how the Mueller handles. My neighbor across the street just laughed every time he saw me pointing this rifle at his garage door a couple days ago. smile
The most accurate ammo from my Kid Barrel is the Wolf Match for paper and the Winchester Power Point, which isn't far behind the Wolf ammo for hunting.

[Linked Image]
Local dirt how about a picture of the bedding area? Can't wait for the field reports.
bea, thanks for that. The Wolf Match is sometimes available.. at a price. If it's that good, I'll pay it. The WPP's are also sometimes available.. for a minute.

My best search tool for the last couple few months: http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr
I also find some deals local sometimes. Caught some CCI MiniMags at a good price at a big cops outfitter in MIA for a day or two until they found they'd made a "mistake".

Real nice looking rifle, btw. Looks like we may have the same barrel. 18"?
I see you also got the threaded barrel. Since first ordering everything, I've been doing a lot of research on cans. You can pick my brain on that, if you want. RJM here on the Fire (Bob)has been a great help to me.

Rock on.
Jim, I'm too paranoid to take it apart just yet. Had it all planned out to go target plinkin today, but... work.

Will post some range results asap, though.

I can say without reservation the barrel is about the nicest I've ever looked down.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/28968
guys, this is made on same machines as Wolf, Lapua, a bit pricey but shoots like a house afire, same headstamp , grease.
I loaded up on it and the match a while back! Every Kidd barrel I shot have been the cats meow! v best WinPoor
http://www.eabco.net/Wolf-Match-Extra-Subsonic-22-LR-Ammunition_p_14021.html
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/another good source for a German S&K v best winpoor
Thanks, wp and bea. Gonna do some digging on those 2 rounds.

bea, are you shooting those subs through a can?
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Thanks, wp and bea. Gonna do some digging on those 2 rounds.

bea, are you shooting those subs through a can?

No I'm not, but sub rimfire ammo usually groups much better
Jim, I'm too paranoid to take it apart just yet.

laugh

If and when you are up to it, I too would love to see how he bedded it, floating the barrel.

The scope base that ties the receiver to the barrel is a nice touch. It alleviates the need to put downward pressure on the barrel/receiver junction.

Nice.

DF
Originally Posted by bea175
The most accurate ammo from my Kid Barrel is the Wolf Match for paper and the Winchester Power Point, which isn't far behind the Wolf ammo for hunting.

[Linked Image]

Is that a 20 incher in a tacticool handle?
yes
Got the Kidd out today. These are 3" targets at 100 yds before I got in the groove.

Federal Auto Match
[Linked Image]

CCI Blazer
[Linked Image]

CCI MiniMags 10 rds
[Linked Image]

Had several targets after that the Kidd was laying them in at 1 1/2" to 2" that I didn't take pics of. Figured I'd be able to shoot for a few hours, but it started pouring and ended up getting myself and targets soaked. No big deal. Got the rest of my jollies splitting rocks on the back burm.

Took the new Ruger MKIII with me, but never fired it up. I was having too much fun with the Kidd.

Overall, had a blast, even being soaking wet. Think I can do better next time.

Greg, I was very impressed with the photos you showed me of the targets.
As I old you, this would make a great squirrel gun. My 10/22 shoots ok, but nothing like that one.
Got the Kidd out today. These are 3" targets at 100 yds before I got in the groove.

Federal Auto Match
[Linked Image]

CCI Blazer
[Linked Image]

CCI MiniMags 10 rds
[Linked Image]

Had several targets after that the Kidd was laying them in at 1 1/2" to 2" that I didn't take pics of. Figured I'd be able to shoot for a few hours, but it started pouring and ended up getting myself and targets soaked. No big deal. Got the rest of my jollies splitting rocks on the back burm.

Took the new Ruger MKIII with me, but never fired it up. I was having too much fun with the Kidd.

Overall, had a blast, even being soaking wet. Think I can do better next time.

If you get a chance try some Norma Tac 22 great accuracy for the $$
Thanks, Sam. You can probably see these a little better, now that I loaded to Photobucket. The "Little Kidd" shoots pretty darn good, now that I've got the hang of it.

Thanks goes to woodson for speaking up about the Kidd 2-stage trigger. It is quite frankly amazing. The take up is completely repeatable and smooth as a feather. Once you've put enough rounds down range, you know exactly when it's ready to break. Get your breathing right, recheck the scope, squeeze, bang.

No rain on the radar, so had to go for it this afternoon. 50 yard targets with mostly CCI MiniMags and Winchester Auto Match. This rifle loves her CCI MiniMags.

These are each 10 rds of CCI MiniMags
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

while I was dialing the scope in on the CCI's
[Linked Image]

6 rounds of Federal Auto Match
[Linked Image]

5 rounds of Federal Auto Match when I first got there

[Linked Image]

10 rounds right after
[Linked Image]

Federal Auto Match before I got the scope doped
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/alb...ds/20151008_160247_zpscswzxwbh.jpg[/img]
More Federal Auto Match
[Linked Image]

This one is from these 3 young fellas. They got to the range when the line was hot and were waiting to put out their Dad's and Uncle's targets. So, I asked them if they'd want to try the Kidd. The 2 older boys were doing fine and laying it right in the bull. The younger boy was about 11 or 12 and just didn't know how to hold the rifle yet. He still got it in the Orange. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good day.
Everyday kids are shooting is a good day!!
Ain't that the truth. I probably get more grins watching the kids shoot, really.
Back when I shot so much .22 rimfire, Federal Auto Match was my Bulk ammo, but it was 14 bucks / 325, I started out paying 3 / box on wolf match target that shot better than the higher match extra! go figure, anyhow now that I know the Wolf was made on the Lapua machines, along with S&K, I have gone to S&K bricks of rifle match S&K and the pringle tubes of 500 rounds 'Magazine' for the bulk stuff. Ive put in enough to last the rest of my life! I bought a brick of Eley subsonic 40 gr HP's for tree rat work! very best WinPoor
Originally Posted by avagadro
Everyday kids are shooting is a good day!!

Keeping kids involved with shooting sports along with all the other outdoor activities will sow seeds for generations to come!
Winpoor, thanks much for the heads up on the S&K. I'm definitely going to try some out. I've seen the rifle match and those Pringle tubes on line from time to time.
40 grain mini mags print really nicely with my Kidd barreled action. Also be mindful about judging ammo till you have a few mags of said ammo through it.
woodson, I've got at least 300 rounds of mini mags through it now. I know for sure like that stuff. It seems to like round nose stuff better than hollow points. I'll be testing other stuff as I go along.
Yup. What barrel did you opt for? I went with the tapered unit. I've spent a fair amount of coin trying different ammunition. CCI mini mags 40 grain solids is what I would hoard if I could. Super accurate without needing to be subsonic and reasonably priced.
I went with the 18" .920 match barrel, bead blasted. And yes, I agree on the mini mags. They are the most accurate so far and I'm doing my best to hoard them when available at a reasonable price. Picked up 2K rounds last week. Will do it again this week if I get the opportunity.

RJM had some real good results out of his 39A with some Super-X round nose. I'm gonna give those a try. Also going to try out the SK's. Winpoor has had good experience with them and they apparently come off the same presses as Lapua and Wolf.

So far, both Ruger pistols seem to eat anything and spit it out with good results.
Winpoor and bea, thanks again for the tips on the ammo. Just picked up 2 of the SK 500 rd magazine cans here:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/28968

and 550 rds of the Wolf Match Extra Subsonic here:

http://www.eabco.net/Wolf-Match-Extra-Subsonic-22-LR-Ammunition_p_14021.html

These were also the best prices out there, far as I could see.
Try here for Wolf, SK, etc...

http://www.championshooters.com

Not always the cheapest, but lower than eabco...
Rolltide, that looks promising, but the wesbite isn't the most robust. I've clicked on CCI rimfire link several times over the last couple days and the destination has changed a few times. First it was for Wolf ammo, now it sends you to Dewey Cleaning Rods. smile
© 24hourcampfire