Home
Posted By: Gyrfalcon WW PowerPoint - 05/22/16
For the last 10 years I have depended on 40 gr. PowerPoint hollow points @ 1280 fps, shooting tiny groups in my BRNO, T bolt , CZ 455 and 453. Tried other Ammo, none was its equal in my guns.
Yesterday I tried a box of power points, in new issue boxes of 100. Never thought much of it and almost bought 3000, but then decided to shoot a box of the new stuff first, side by side with some of last year that came in the dinky little cardboard boxes.
The older power points shot true in both 455 and 453 with 5 shot groups between .4 and .6 inch. The new power points tripled the size of my groups. I shot 4 groups with each rifle for each of the two lots of power points.
Obviously, WW tried to improve and changed powder most likely. I was disappointed to say the least, a box of 100 costing $14.95. Canadian.
Their power points are now on par with the bulk Federal stuff for accuracy, which is one heck cheaper then PP.
Too bad WW decided not to leave well enough alone.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: WW PowerPoint - 05/22/16
Thanks for the heads up, Gyrfalcon. Will walk on by when I see them.

Your report gives me no reason to seek them out, either. Especially when I've got plenty of CCI Mini Mags, SK, Wolf, CCI SV, CCI AR, Gemtech 42 gr subs, Federal Auto Match, and some of the lower tier stuff like 325's and 555's.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WW PowerPoint - 05/22/16
I doubt that "improving" them was behind the change. Improving the bottom line is more likely.

CCI has held steady with quality, even through the crunches. Maybe not always the most accurate, but plenty good enough and consistent.
Posted By: hookeye Re: WW PowerPoint - 05/22/16
Was windy today, but my 10/22 seemed to like the new WW powerpoints. I'd guess that it might like them better than CCI minimag.

Weather gets better I'll put them head to head, have plenty from same lot #.

FWIW I have never liked promo ammo.
Had reg WW Super X cost me some targets (IHMSA) before.
CCI minimag was even worse as a kid, but seems to be pretty decent these last few yrs.

Posted By: johnnypa Re: WW PowerPoint - 05/25/16
I bought some of the new 100 round plastic box Power Points and they are nothing like my old boxed ammo. The old stuff is far more accurate. The old paper 50 round boxes was made in Australia and the new is made in Illinois. My Australian made Sub-Sonic Winchester shoots like Match ammo.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: WW PowerPoint - 05/25/16
welcome to the fire Gyrfalcon. its always a shame when someone tries to fix something that isn't broken.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: WW PowerPoint - 06/01/16
Gyrfalcon: I don't know WHAT is going on in the American 22 rimfire market?
I was on a gun buying trip to the west coast last week and came across a small shop north of Seattle that had what I thought were the 100 round packs of Winchester 40 grain Power-Point hollow-points (the 1,280 F.P.S. bullets I am sighted in with for several of my guns!).
I bought 8 boxes of them at $9.99 a box and I did not realize until I got home that these Winchester 40 grain hollow-points were rated at 1,435 F.P.S.!
Darn.
Apparently they are a NEW offering - at least I have never seen them before.
Anyway I think I will dedicate my Kimber Hunter/silhouette heavy barrel gun to these 800 bullets and re-sight it in and shoot Ground Squirrels with them this season.
I will let you know how these "new" Winchester 40 grain high speed hollow-points shoot as compared to the old "stand-by's".
Its not good news to me about the difference in the hard to find Winchester Power-Points 40 grainers.
They have been a wonderful bullet for me for a LONG time.
Again, DARN.
And for me in all my travels trying to find the Federal hollow-point bulk packs is like finding hens teeth. And welcome to the Fire.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: dla Re: WW PowerPoint - 06/01/16
The velocity of 1400+fps is on par with Aguila Interceptor.
© 24hourcampfire