Home
What has been your experience with CCI Subsonic HP 40grain 1050fps ammunition?

I see a bunch of it showing up at good prices now. What about feed/function, accuracy, consistency? Will it cycle a 10/22?
the only "con" is that it isnt as consistent as more expensive target ammo, and it has been way overpriced for the last 5 yrs. otherwise, fantastic stuff.
also, it runs flawlessly thru my 10/22 and 22/45
The CCI Segmented SSHP 40gr (1050fps flavor) is my go to hunting round. It's a devastating small game round. Accuracy has been good in most of my 22's (on par with CCI SV, Eley SSHP). I shoot it in 2 different 10/22's and my Ruger 22/45 lite without any FTF or FTE issues.
Is there a big difference between the Subsonic and Standard Velocity other than 20fps? The SV shoots awesome in my guns.
Originally Posted by MCT3
The CCI Segmented SSHP 40gr (1050fps flavor) is my go to hunting round. It's a devastating small game round. Accuracy has been good in most of my 22's (on par with CCI SV, Eley SSHP). I shoot it in 2 different 10/22's and my Ruger 22/45 lite without any FTF or FTE issues.

Same here. The CCI 0074 Segmented SS HP is outstanding on small game but is definitely pricey! The CCI 0056 SS HP is no slouch and a lot cheaper. It's accurate and expands well which makes it a good all-around choice IMO.

Originally Posted by wareagle700
Is there a big difference between the Subsonic and Standard Velocity other than 20fps? The SV shoots awesome in my guns.

The CCI 0032 standard velocity RN is plentiful, relatively cheap, accurate and shoots subsonic in my pistols. It's a great choice for plinking/paper but I wouldn't hunt with it because it won't expand enough to do damage like the HPs and nowhere near the segmented HPs.

FWIW - I found this article online. Don't really care about the rimfire classifications but thought the MV listings for rifles/pistols might be helpful for some......

[b][color:#FF0000]Chuck Hawks - Rimfire review[/color][/b]
The 40gr Subsonic HP (not the segmented stuff) , to me, is worth every penny.

It is the most accurate non-match ammo in all of my .22lr firearms. It has a slightly longer bearing area than the other non-match CCI offerings, so it pre-engraves upon chambering.

It's what I use to shoot 3/4" five shot groups at 75 yards out of my RAR Compact.

Ed
Runs through my spiffed up 10-22 perfectly and shoots itty bitty groups at 25 yards. Never shot any past.that range. I would expect a faster.load to be more forgiving at longer ranges due to the trajectory advantage but not more inherently accurate.
Originally Posted by kragman1
Runs through my spiffed up 10-22 perfectly and shoots itty bitty groups at 25 yards. Never shot any past.that range. I would expect a faster.load to be more forgiving at longer ranges due to the trajectory advantage but not more inherently accurate.

This stuff's been hard to find but Palmetto State Armory has it in stock right now.....
[color:#FF0000][b]CCI SS 40gr HP - $8.99/100[/b][/color]

They also have CCI Competition Select on sale for $9.99 w/ free shipping on 10+ boxes.
[color:#FF0000][b]CCI Competion Select 40gr RN[/b][/color]

And Sportsmans Supply has Fed Gold Medal 40gr SS RN for $4.27/50
[color:#CC0000][b]Federal Gold Medal 22LR[/b][/color]
I use them to pot the occasional backyard squirrel, no sweat. Accuracy in my bolt guns and target rifles, meh. But then again I'm spoiled as I mainly shoot premium target ammo in them.

As for using high speed hollow points for hunting, I haven't done that since circa 1982. An Eley Tenex in a squirrel's head means lights out, and a chest hit ditto. Rabbits and other edible small game, no difference in my experience- and I've been doing this for 50 years now.
© 24hourcampfire