Home
Hi all,

I have a little dilemma - I have a very nice Marlin 983 that needs a scope.
I'm looking for a 4-12 / 4.5-14 / 4-16 with either a small front bell and/or side focus so I can mount it fairly low.
I want very good glass that doesn't wash out or fuzz out at 100 yards minimum.
Is there anything in the $200 or $300 range that stands out? I want it to be a long term pairing.

I was wondering about the Vortex 3-12 DB HP but I've never seen one.
Happy with older glass too. I just want to see crisp detail and not worry about the mechanics.

Thanks in advance
This is what I run on my 22 mags.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-nikon-monarch-2-8x32-riflescope.html
I have a VX-I 4-12x40 on a Marlin 882, a Vari-X IIc 3-9x40 on a Marlin 982, and a Vari-x IIc 2-7x33 Shotgun scope with the heavy duplex reticle on my favorite .22 Magnum, the Remington 597 that I use when calling 'cats in tight cover. If I was scoping a 983, I think that I'd take a close look at the Weaver RV9, 3-9X40 AO.
I should have specified better - I'm looking for AO too
Leupold 3-9X EFR.............used maybe. New they want more than stated budget.
Mueller AVP - 4-14 x 40
I think it will work well for your needs.

You might want to look at the Minox 4.5-14 that Cameralandny is offering at $109.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Leupold 3-9X EFR.............used maybe. New they want more than stated budget.

Nikon in the same guise.

Mine wore a 3.5-140x40AO Leupold I got used.

Good Luck
Guess I'm the odd man out.

My 22WMR's......

[Linked Image]

Course I only use mine for treed critters or calling in heavy cover where shots aren't very far.
I would increase the budget,or buy used, and get a Leupold VX2 4-12X40 AO fine duplex. It is exactly what you are looking for and my favorite rimfire scope. It will focus at 25 yards on 12X and closer on lower power.
Now that leupold 4-12 sounds like something I should look into.
Kragman,

One Caveat about the Leupold 4-12 scopes is the eye relief. It varies A LOT from high to low power. Like a full inch difference from high to low.
If you get it for set right for 4x it will be WAY too short when set at 12x.

I saw this 30 years ago trying to find a good all around Coyote rifle scope and never owned another.Too bad as it is nearly the ideal power range.
Just like their 3x9 and 3.5 x 10 scopes , ( which are way better as to eye relief range) Leupold really has not changed that spec in all these years. The eye relief variance on the 4x12 still sucks.
Originally Posted by kragman1
Now that leupold 4-12 sounds like something I should look into.

I bought one on Clarks recommendation and put it on a Cooper M57 and it really is a great rimfire scope!
I have several $150+/- Sightron S1H 4-12x40 AOs in service on rifles from 17HM2 to 6.5 Creedmoor and think that it has pretty good optics for the $$.
I bought a Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12 A0 for my springer airgun (where it did just fine), and pulled it to mount on a .243 that I suspected had scope issues just before deer season. Worked well there too. Only paid $130 on Amazon because I caught it right. Now, I see Natchez has them on sale at the same price. Probably go on my 581 when I begin my attempt to improve its performance.

Might not spend $200 on one but at $130, SOLD.
Originally Posted by jk16
Kragman,

One Caveat about the Leupold 4-12 scopes is the eye relief. It varies A LOT from high to low power. Like a full inch difference from high to low.
If you get it for set right for 4x it will be WAY too short when set at 12x.

I saw this 30 years ago trying to find a good all around Coyote rifle scope and never owned another.Too bad as it is nearly the ideal power range.
Just like their 3x9 and 3.5 x 10 scopes , ( which are way better as to eye relief range) Leupold really has not changed that spec in all these years. The eye relief variance on the 4x12 still sucks.

It may be an issue for some but it has never been uncomfortable or awkward for me to slightly shift my cheek weld after a power increase. If I have time to turn the power selector,I have time to adjust my cheek.

The 4-12 VX2 on a 1416 Anschutz
[Linked Image]
RH. One fine .22👍
RH

Everybody holds a rifle differently and sees a view through a scope differently. And some of us do take consistent stock fit from shot to shot seriously as well.No matter what power the scope is set on.

And the issue with the wide variation on the 4-12 Leupold eye relief has been known for a long time and acknowledged even by the most biased Leupold fanboys,which is why that model has never been as popular as it could have been. I just thought Kragman needed to know the full story on them- warts and all.
RH

Everybody holds a rifle differently and sees a view through a scope differently. And some of us do take consistent stock fit from shot to shot seriously as well.No matter what power the scope is set on.

And the issue with the wide variation on the 4-12 Leupold eye relief has been known for a long time and acknowledged even by the most biased Leupold fanboys,which is why that model has never been as popular as it could have been. I just thought Kragman needed to know the full story on them- warts and all.

I wasn't trying to argue or make light of the issue or it being a problem to you. I was just saying that it isn't a problem for me. Neither do I consider myself a Leupold fanboy. I own Leupolds but they do not make up a majority of my scopes.
RH

The 4-12x40s are my second most common Leupolds, following only the 2-7x33s. I've never noticed an eye relief problem with the 4-12x40s and currently have twelve of them in service. I don't claim to be particularly biased one way or another for or against Leupold products, as my expectations are pretty vague, just that the products work under the conditions that I typically use them. I do have around 100 Leupold scopes and they are are more numerous than any other single brand that I own, but if something came along that met my needs noticeably better, I'd change scope brands and models without a second thought.
Kragman1: Early this year I bought a Browning T-Bolt Varmint Model Rifle in 22 Magnum.
I found a nifty Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 variable with adjustable objective) and mounted it on the Rifle.
I easily acquire sight picture with this 42 M/M objective mounted as low as I could.
The scope/Rifle has been to the range several times and on 8 or 10 day long Varmint Hunts so far.
I am just pleased as punch with this set-up.
I have several other Weaver V-16's on rimfire Rifles and they have all performed flawlessly and reliably.
The image at ALL ranges is VERY clear - once the adjustable objective is set.
On rare occasions these Weaver V-16's can be found used (and in good condition) for just at or above $200.00.
Good luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Varmintguy...

Excellent recommendation on the Weaver Classic V16.
Unless they have changed mfgs, Weaver was sourcing them from LOW (Light Optical Works) of Japan.

I have owned them in the past and will be buying another very soon for my Rem 700 HB in 22-250.

Wonderfull scopes for the $$ and for the same power range a fellow would gave to spend well over $500 to beat them. They run around $250 to $300 many places and are a solid value.
A Sightron 3x9x32mm with fine crosshairs is working nicely on mine and they are only about a hundred bucks from Midway.
Jk16: I agree completely on the value for dollars spent for these Weaver V-16's!
I began recommending these scopes to fellow Colony Varmint Hunters 20 years ago and I am sure at least 10 of my friends have 14 to 18 of these scopes today.
To date not one problem with any that I have heard of.
All my friends have commented on how well the V-16's "track" - in other words you move the adjustments and the bullet moves the intended amount!
Right away!
I just checked my on-line gun inventory and I have 6 (six) of these Weaver V-16's along with 1 (one) Weaver V-24 and several Weaver KT-15's (straight 15 power).
I have been MORE than happy with all of them - but in full disclosure they are all on Colony Varmint Rifles and none have seen much inclement weather at all.
They do all hold zero with much travel bouncing in trucks and some on ATV's.
I am a "Leupold" kind of guy and they are my "go to" scopes for Big Game Hunting and most of my Varmint Rifles but when I see a Weaver V-16 (or similar Weavers) on the used market I don't hesitate.
Good for the Weaver folks (and the LOW folks also).
You are also correct on the price comparisons - a Leupold 4.5x14 with adjustable objective would be twice the cost of a Weaver V-16 (used to used and new to new comparisons).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jk16: I agree completely on the value for dollars spent for these Weaver V-16's!
I began recommending these scopes to fellow Colony Varmint Hunters 20 years ago and I am sure at least 10 of my friends have 14 to 18 of these scopes today.
To date not one problem with any that I have heard of.
All my friends have commented on how well the V-16's "track" - in other words you move the adjustments and the bullet moves the intended amount!
Right away!
I just checked my on-line gun inventory and I have 6 (six) of these Weaver V-16's along with 1 (one) Weaver V-24 and several Weaver KT-15's (straight 15 power).
I have been MORE than happy with all of them - but in full disclosure they are all on Colony Varmint Rifles and none have seen much inclement weather at all.
They do all hold zero with much travel bouncing in trucks and some on ATV's.
I am a "Leupold" kind of guy and they are my "go to" scopes for Big Game Hunting and most of my Varmint Rifles but when I see a Weaver V-16 (or similar Weavers) on the used market I don't hesitate.
Good for the Weaver folks (and the LOW folks also).
You are also correct on the price comparisons - a Leupold 4.5x14 with adjustable objective would be twice the cost of a Weaver V-16 (used to used and new to new comparisons).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I like V16s too and have several of them in service on rifles from 17HM2 to 260, but the Marlin 983 has a sporter weight/contour barrel and the V16 seems a little large, such that the package's feng shui would be out of balance.
Cabelas had Vortex Diamondback HP's on sale ~$200
260Remguy: I agree that it would have to be a bit of a compromise of aesthetics, balance and all things classic to attach the V-16 to a Model 983.
I am VERY mindful of these type things that is why I have never owned or even considered buying a 50m/m objective lens type scope.
They just don't look right to me and the smaller objective lenses have done everything I need done and done so for the last 55+ years.
Still if one wants to maximize the versatility and effectiveness of the 22 Magnum at the range and afield "one" might allow for the somewhat/slightly oversize scope to obtain that end.
Did Leupold ever make a 4x12 compact variable scope?
It would be very expensive if they did I am guessing?
Again I am supremely happy (both performance wise and aesthetically!) with the Weaver V-16 I have on my Browning T-Bolt Varmint weight Rifle and its not that much "larger" than the 983.
Best of luck to the original poster with whichever scope he chooses.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have installed one of my V16s on my #1 tree squirrel rifle, a Marlin 917M2S in 17 HM2, that I've installed in a Boyds laminated Rimfire Hunter style stock. The more robust barrel and stock allow the scope to be in balance better than if it had been installed on a rimfire rifle with a physically smaller barrel and/or stock. Since my mountain climbing days are well behind me and the majority of my hunting opportunities are within two miles of a vehicle, so I can easily tolerate a little extra weight if it comes in a better balanced package.

I have a couple other V16s installed on RAR-Ps in 204 and 223 that have been restocked with Boyds laminated Heritage style stocks and although the stock added a full pound to the package, the improvement in balance and fit far outweighed the added weight for my applications.

I wish that I had bought a few more V16s when Natchez had them on sale for between $210 and $220 back in January 2015.
Thanks everyone. There have been many good responses to my post, and I appreciate it.
Your enthusiasm and class make this an excellent forum.

For my part I'm going to hold off and save up a bit.
For now I'll throw something on it just to get to the range and try it.
The better it shoots, the better glass it will get.

Thanks again.
Ill try to post a pic in the near future. It is a handsome American rifle.
© 24hourcampfire